PDA

View Full Version : Rene Douglas/Matron

jballscalls
05-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Don't like to bring these things up, but that spill in the Matron on the head on looked really bad. If anyone hears an update on Douglas please post. Dooley said he's off his mount here.

Condolences to the connections of the horse, was not pretty

Lasix67
05-23-2009, 06:31 PM
The :1: veered out and bumped the :6: at the top of the stretch causing the :6: to go down hard w/ R. Douglas and then rolling over Rene where he came to rest on top of him. Really looks bad. My prayers for Rene.

DJofSD
05-23-2009, 06:31 PM
His mount clipped heals and both fell pretty hard. From the brief time I could see the resulting crash, it looked as if the horse was DOA and on top of Rene. Not good.

toussaud
05-23-2009, 06:36 PM
the jock of sky mom should get days for that.

Lasix67
05-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Jamie Theriot. I would be sure that he will have a stiff suspension.

Lasix67
05-23-2009, 06:45 PM
HRTV reports Rene was talking, but in alot of pain.

DJofSD
05-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the update.

kenwoodallpromos
05-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Right?

fmhealth
05-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Here's the latest update from the DRF.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/104048.html

slew101
05-24-2009, 01:26 AM
I don't think Theriot's move out was malicious, but I'm biased since I've been singing his praises the last couple of weeks. The Douglas horse was tiring badly, so Theriot likely thought he could just ease out with little contact but ended up bumping him.

But how does John Dooley not see the horse go down in his call?

jballscalls
05-24-2009, 01:58 AM
But how does John Dooley not see the horse go down in his call?

I'll tell you exactly how. listen to the call. about 1 second after the horse fell he gives you the 3/4 time. when an announcer goes to give the fractional time, especially when they are turning for home, they generally have to look all the way to their right to see the time on the board, then go back to their binoculars, thus they are probably looking away from the race for anywhere from half a second, to a full second or more.

when the horse went down, John G. was looking at the board to get the 3/4 time. when he looked back into his binoculars, the first horses you look at are the leaders, who at that time were already 30 or 40 yards infront of the fallen horse.

nothing Dooley could do about it. Stuff like that happens all the time to all announcers

fmhealth
05-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Here's a DRF update. Doesn't sound too good.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/104048.html

fmhealth
05-24-2009, 12:22 PM
More info. from Sunday morning.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/104056.html

jballscalls
05-24-2009, 12:37 PM
according to hrtv and some other boards, they are reporting paralysis from the waist down

DJofSD
05-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Latest report is not very hopeful.

Mike, I see my thread was merged. Out of curiosity, what's the criteria you use when you do a merge?

slew101
05-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Let's hope not. Terrible, terrible news.

according to hrtv and some other boards, they are reporting paralysis from the waist down

dutzman
05-24-2009, 02:03 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50929/jockey-douglas-paralyzed-in-lower-extremities

Another article. My thoughts and prayers go out to Rene and his family.....

BUD
05-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Having had a injury that almost caused me to never walk again--I really feel sick for him----& sorry---I am learning to walk again--The longevity of me standing is short-----Its the worst shock to you system-----He needs support in the biggest way from his family friends & and his new caretakers are going to need support-----

Someone should get a cyber adress to where paople can send well wishes---If he is the type who would like that---When it happend to me--I wanted NO reminder---I still hate these words--How you feeling.

Everyone is different--I pray so My prayers for him--And His.

Marshall Bennett
05-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Terrible news . Such a nice guy and a good rider too . My prayers are with him and his family .

boomman
05-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Terrible news . Such a nice guy and a good rider too . My prayers are with him and his family .

Terrible news indeed......Our thoughts and prayers are with Rene and his family as well, and if anyone hears of a fund being set up to help defray what will undoubtedly be enormous costs please let the board know.........

Boomer

fmhealth
05-24-2009, 04:06 PM
My wife & I had a brief dinner with Rene about two years ago. He was the epitome of a warm & friendly jockey. Always had a kind word to say when we met at AP. I'm literally speechless & completely devastated by this gruesome turn of events. Let's keep him in our prayers.

slew101
05-24-2009, 05:49 PM
There's the answer. Makes sense.

I'll tell you exactly how. listen to the call. about 1 second after the horse fell he gives you the 3/4 time. when an announcer goes to give the fractional time, especially when they are turning for home, they generally have to look all the way to their right to see the time on the board, then go back to their binoculars, thus they are probably looking away from the race for anywhere from half a second, to a full second or more.

when the horse went down, John G. was looking at the board to get the 3/4 time. when he looked back into his binoculars, the first horses you look at are the leaders, who at that time were already 30 or 40 yards infront of the fallen horse.

nothing Dooley could do about it. Stuff like that happens all the time to all announcers

cj
05-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Latest report is not very hopeful.

Mike, I see my thread was merged. Out of curiosity, what's the criteria you use when you do a merge?

I merged the threads. There were three started within minutes of each other, so I just merged the other two with the first one. It certainly wasn't meant to offend, just put all the news of this very sad race in one place.

tundral
05-24-2009, 06:03 PM

FenceBored
05-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Any ideas on what, if any, penalties Theriot will get?

kenwoodallpromos
05-24-2009, 08:38 PM
I read the horse appeared ok, I hope for the best outcome for Rene.
The Permanently Disabled Jockey Fund says there are about 50+ former jockeys who qualify for the funds. I am not going to trash Douglas, but will use him as the example:
"Rene Douglas has had a number of Grade 1 wins in his career. He should have and all active Guild members who win Grade 1's should, donate 10% of their share of the Grade 1 winning purses to the Permanently Disabled Joakey's Fund; Of course, Rene and others never figure it would be them that would need the funds

maxwell
05-24-2009, 08:41 PM
After reading a few of the posts here I'm relieved I didn't see the spill. We all know that the hammer is going to drop sooner or later, but it never ceases to be a shock when it does. :eek:

Zenyatta To Crush
05-24-2009, 08:41 PM
I read the horse appeared ok, I hope for the best outcome for Rene.
The horse actually had to be euthanized. At first it seemed that both may make it out ok, but this is bad news.

Grits
05-24-2009, 08:56 PM
In this life, there are no guarantees, and jockeys, maybe long before others--realize this fact. Their job being one of the most dangerous.

Its early yet, but his agent has indicated, the strength this man has. Don't bet against him.

In the meantime, we can do two things--we can pray for him in this long, difficult recovery and we can be grateful and hopeful, if he is permanently paralyzed, the advances in stem cell research will come quickly to this fine man, this consummate athlete and professional.

May God bless Rene and his loving family, surrounding them with love and strength.

big frank
05-24-2009, 10:04 PM
I am very sad to hear the news,, Rene is a gutsy rider who i have won many bets on because he would shoot through a small hole and win races where other riders would check out of the race. It always amazes me why people always like to bash riders when they lose a bet.. Being a jock is one of the toughest jobs there is and theses guys and gals have tons more nerve then most people. I pray Rene recovers and my prayers go out to his family.. I believe Frank Lyons from TVG is friends with RENE. Has Frank made any comments on him ?? thanks and good luck

nijinski
05-24-2009, 11:43 PM
My prayers as well to Rene and his family,this is very bad news but hoping
for the best for him.

menifee
05-25-2009, 12:21 AM
My prayers are with Rene. I always thought he was an underrated jockey in the natonal press. Excellent on the turf.

kyle2227
05-25-2009, 12:55 AM
Jockey Rene Douglas is most likely paralyzed from the waist down because of a back injury sustained in a spill Saturday at Arlington Park. Douglas, 42, underwent seven hours of back surgery Sunday morning at Northwestern Hospital in Chicago, from 2:30 to 9:30, according to his agent, Dennis Cooper.

Imriledup
05-25-2009, 01:09 AM
Sickening news. I feel ill reading this.

Tom
05-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Terrible news, Prayers to he and his family.
This is the side of the game we hate to see.

kenwoodallpromos
05-25-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm sure they will pass emails along:
Shevawn Moore - "smoore@jockeysguild.com"
Temporary disability/life insurance benefits, permanently disabled members

Shelby
05-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Oh I am so so sad to hear this. My prayers for him and his family.

Valuist
05-25-2009, 12:12 PM
This is horrible news. Douglas was an excellent rider. I always felt he never really got his due because he spent most of his time riding in the Midwest.

Valuist
05-25-2009, 12:14 PM
I am very sad to hear the news,, Rene is a gutsy rider who i have won many bets on because he would shoot through a small hole and win races where other riders would check out of the race. It always amazes me why people always like to bash riders when they lose a bet.. Being a jock is one of the toughest jobs there is and theses guys and gals have tons more nerve then most people. I pray Rene recovers and my prayers go out to his family.. I believe Frank Lyons from TVG is friends with RENE. Has Frank made any comments on him ?? thanks and good luck

I believe Lyons was Rene's agent when he was in SoCal.

dutchboy
05-25-2009, 12:30 PM
What good are prayers now? If God cared or could do anything about it she would have prevented the accident or the severity of the injury.

Marshall Bennett
05-25-2009, 12:46 PM
What good are prayers now? If God cared or could do anything about it she would have prevented the accident or the severity of the injury.
... or any other adversity in the world . Perhaps in a perfect world one might feel prayer to be a waste of time . This world , my friend , is only drifting further and further away from perfection . Its not to late to pray for Rene , or any of the others that continue to ride for the game we love .

DJofSD
05-25-2009, 01:37 PM
dutchboy, you come across as some one who is young and has never experienced hardship.

That's a rather simplistic approach you have concerning prayers and why people pray. Maybe you should read the Bible's book of Job.

cj
05-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Please don't turn this into an off topic debate.

BUD
05-25-2009, 02:26 PM
true-some people pray some don't-Some say were thinking about you--others say sending well wishes----What ever works for the person---As I said in mine I pray so I'll pray---Should I take what happend to me & anyone in that situation--And just give up?--Rene and those around him will find what it is that gives them strenght and hope & move on---No Matter how horrible--

As I find a reason in Horse racing--It gives me something daily to look forward to---When I had nothing--I had nothing--Then I found this--Everyday I wake up with a purpose------What Happened to Rene can be anyone @ anytime---Its not if bad time hit---Its when----Sorry I dont mean to lecture--Also Sorry CJ---

I did not try to make this into an off topic debate---

Again instead off speaking Of rene--we should be doing something positive for him---Even if it was in the Name of HANA..

Cratos
05-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Rene Douglas was a good rider with longevity in a sport that we love and enjoy. To that end it is very sad to see him being removed from his livelihood because of injury.

Also it should make all of us who watch and wager on horseracing aware of just how dangerous this sport is to both the jockeys and the horses who participate in horseracing.

WinterTriangle
05-25-2009, 03:14 PM
I pray for Rene and his family, and still hold out hope for a positive outcome, in whatever *form* that takes.

2 things: the body is an amazing self-regenerating organism, and when inflammatory processes get under control, and physical therapy begins, there are many people who make amazing strides. Too many stories of "what doctors say was impossible" happen every day!

Other thing, what somebody said about "being humbled". I remember seeing the interview iwth the rock climber kid who had to cut off his own hand to get out from a crevice in order to live. He says now that it changed his life..... for the better. He discovered stuff in life, and in himself, that didn't exist before.

So, I pray for the best outcome for RENE, and I don't pretend to know what that is. God works in mysterious ways.

They say jockeys are the finest athletes, and there's a reason for that.

PaceAdvantage
05-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Please don't turn this into an off topic debate.Yes, I concur. I won't let that happen.

From the description of the accident, I am amazed that Douglas even survived. And there is always a chance the doctor's initial diagnosis is wrong, and that after the swelling subsides in the coming days and weeks, there may be the slimmest of chances that he regains at least some feeling.

This we can all pray for...

FenceBored
05-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Yes, I concur. I won't let that happen.

From the description of the accident, I am amazed that Douglas even survived. And there is always a chance the doctor's initial diagnosis is wrong, and that after the swelling subsides in the coming days and weeks, there may be the slimmest of chances that he regains at least some feeling.

This we can all pray for...

Some reports say that he regained a little feeling in his legs before the surgery, so I'm hoping for the best.

Cat Thief
05-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Only one month suspension I believe ... I think should have been alot more

slew101
05-25-2009, 11:30 PM
It's easy to target Theriot here because of the tragedy, but I think we all see similar moves by jockeys every day at the races where there is a little contact and nothing else happens. Only it doesn't turn out like this.

Here is a link to the suspension story.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50948/theriot-suspended-for-douglas-accident

Only one month suspension I believe ... I think should have been alot more

RXB
05-26-2009, 01:42 AM
It's easy to target Theriot here because of the tragedy, but I think we all see similar moves by jockeys every day at the races where there is a little contact and nothing else happens. Only it doesn't turn out like this.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50948/theriot-suspended-for-douglas-accident

Very well said, Slew.

We've all done careless things in our lives. Most of the time we're lucky enough that the worst doesn't result, either to ourselves or anyone else.

It's a longshot but hopefully Douglas can somehow get this one home, too.

kenwoodallpromos
05-26-2009, 01:44 AM

Here is a link to the suspension story.

I'm glad Theriot's comments got printed.

Valuist
05-30-2009, 11:04 PM
I haven't seen any new updates online but Frank Lyons said on TVG today that he heard Douglas "was making good progress". He didn't elaborate exactly what that was but one can draw the conclusion that Douglas could conceivably regain use of his legs down the line.

Imriledup
05-30-2009, 11:11 PM
I haven't seen any new updates online but Frank Lyons said on TVG today that he heard Douglas "was making good progress". He didn't elaborate exactly what that was but one can draw the conclusion that Douglas could conceivably regain use of his legs down the line.

Kevin Everett made a miraculous recovery, lets hope Rene is next in line for one of those.

Imriledup
05-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Interesting article about Douglas in Sunday's DRF. They talk about his brother Frank who had a life threatening head injury and not only recovered, but came back to ride again.

Valuist
05-31-2009, 09:21 AM
Interesting article about Douglas in Sunday's DRF. They talk about his brother Frank who had a life threatening head injury and not only recovered, but came back to ride again.

While we all root for Rene to recover and regain use of his legs, I would have to think riding again would be out of the question. Didn't Pincay suffer a neck injury and he wasn't paralyzed but the doctors told him any kind of fall at all could kill him? Broken arms or legs are one thing but a major head injury or spinal cord injury should be enough to convince one to consider moving to training. Let's hope his brother Frank isn't advising him.

Imriledup
05-31-2009, 04:05 PM
While we all root for Rene to recover and regain use of his legs, I would have to think riding again would be out of the question. Didn't Pincay suffer a neck injury and he wasn't paralyzed but the doctors told him any kind of fall at all could kill him? Broken arms or legs are one thing but a major head injury or spinal cord injury should be enough to convince one to consider moving to training. Let's hope his brother Frank isn't advising him.
I'm not suggesting that Rene will ever ride again, i'm just hoping he can live a healthy life going forward.