PDA

View Full Version : Jackson says he would not have run RA in Derby

WinterTriangle
05-23-2009, 03:29 PM
I didn't know this, or never read it, until today.

Obviously, his ego does not include doing anything that would be bad for Rachel. It also dispells any thoughts of coulda, shoulda, woulda as far as being upset (for some) that she wasn't in the Derby. It was a non-issue all along, so we can't beat up on the previous owner for not running her. :_ Jackson agrees with the previous owner here.

JESS JACKSON: Let me add something there. I would have done what the previous owner did, too. I would have kept her out of the Derby. That's a calvary charge. Twenty horses. You know what happens. Everybody trying to get around the first turn. You make or break the race right there, and if you're blocked from then on, a good horse couldn't become a champion or be able to demonstrate that in that race. I wouldn't have put her in there. They bumped each other, they race. It's sort of like they have the race around the inner track, Zenyatta. Anything goes. It's too hard on any horse, and certainly 20 horses in a race bothers me a great deal."
http://www.preakness.com/NewsDetails?newsItemId=137

Saratoga_Mike
05-23-2009, 05:14 PM
I didn't know this, or never read it, until today.

Obviously, his ego does not include doing anything that would be bad for Rachel. It also dispells any thoughts of coulda, shoulda, woulda as far as being upset (for some) that she wasn't in the Derby. It was a non-issue all along, so we can't beat up on the previous owner for not running her. :_ Jackson agrees with the previous owner here.

JESS JACKSON: Let me add something there. I would have done what the previous owner did, too. I would have kept her out of the Derby. That's a calvary charge. Twenty horses. You know what happens. Everybody trying to get around the first turn. You make or break the race right there, and if you're blocked from then on, a good horse couldn't become a champion or be able to demonstrate that in that race. I wouldn't have put her in there. They bumped each other, they race. It's sort of like they have the race around the inner track, Zenyatta. Anything goes. It's too hard on any horse, and certainly 20 horses in a race bothers me a great deal."
http://www.preakness.com/NewsDetails?newsItemId=137

So you wouldn't have raced her in the Derby b/c she's a filly? Or do you believe she wouldn't perform well against any large field?

WinterTriangle
05-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Mike, it would be wrong of me to offer an answer because it wouldn't be fact-based. Don't know the horse, haven't been around her, and don't know what she is capable of or not capable of.

Two owners / trainers apparently do. Unfortunately, the owners didn't really give any sound reasoning other than what sounds like their opinion (first owner "fillies should run with fillies"; 2nd owner "field is too big". ) Maybe they had an "informed opinion", or were advised by their trainers? I dunno.

Now, Zenyatta is a different story. :) We have come to know her consistency, and after a long layup she does it again----10 for 10 is pretty reliable. :)

Saratoga_Mike
05-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Mike, it would be wrong of me to offer an answer because it wouldn't be fact-based. Don't know the horse, haven't been around her, and don't know what she is capable of or not capable of.

Two owners / trainers apparently do. Unfortunately, the owners didn't really give any sound reasoning other than what sounds like their opinion (first owner "fillies should run with fillies"; 2nd owner "field is too big". ) Maybe they had an "informed opinion", or were advised by their trainers? I dunno.

Now, Zenyatta is a different story. :) We have come to know her consistency, and after a long layup she does it again----10 for 10 is pretty reliable. :)

WT, lack of facts has never stopped anyone from posting responses before!