PDA

View Full Version : Regally Bred First-Time Starters Ready To Go At Belmont Park In Race 7 On Saturday

Stevie Belmont
05-23-2009, 08:18 AM
The Kentucky Derby has come, and it has gone, but the Haskell Invitational and Travers Stakes are still on the horizon.

Race 7 at Belmont Park tomorrow could produce an entrant, if not more. Race 7 is a 6 and one half furlong long maiden special weight, and there are some regally bred, very fast working colts ready to go at first asking.

This is as solid a maiden special weight race as you will see anywhere. The race is packed with some very fast working, and regally bred thoroughbreds ready for their debut.

Colors Flying debuts for the Phipps family. The January foal will be making his first career start and he has been working very well. He has spent most of the winter down in Florida at Payson Park, and has since shipped north and has posted some very sharp gate works. He is by A.P. Indy and his dam is the champion Storm Flag Flying. He has posted 12 works in all, and a lot of them have been fast. This one will generate interest, and looks ready for a solid first time try.

Shadwell also has a fast working firster in Istisharry. A $1 Million dollar purchase out of the hot first time sire Distorted Humor and the dam is by Seattle Slew. He has posted some very fast a.m. drills at Palm Meadows, before shipping north, and continued to drill fast in New York. He looks like he is ready to go. This outfit likes to score first out, and Kiaran McLaughlin has been hot.

Of this talented group of well-bred firsters, Gridiron has had some of the most impressive works of them all, and in this field, that is saying a lot. A $100,000 purchase, he has been drilling lights out for John Terranova and Sovereign Stables. He shows some very fast works, and that fast 59 gate work on April 19, 2009 is a serious work. He spent the winter drilling at Palm Meadows. A son of the hot Giant’s Causeway, he looks like another one, who is ready for a big effort at first asking tomorrow.

On a side note, of the ones who have raced in here, also command respect. Winged Hero and Intrepid ran strongly in their first career starts. Wanted Alive will be making his third career start, and his last race was a sharp try at Aqueduct, where he was in the same race with Intrepid.

This is a deep, talented field assembled for this maiden special weight at Belmont Park today. Juddmonte Farm’s home-bred Action Plan, a son of Empire Maker is another horse, who has had a strong 6-furlong work in preparation for this one. Action Plan will break from post position one.

Hoopoe is another one with nice breezes who will debut for Nick Zito.

Allen Jerkens and Tom Albertrani also have first timers entered in this race today.

Late bloomers on the 3-year-old scene, but nonetheless, bloomers ready to strut their stuff in a very competitive, and solid race maiden special weight who could very well make some noise later this summer.

Monmouth Park features the John J. Reilly handicap for New Jersey Breds today, with Who’s The Cowboy and Joey P. heading the field. And the Elkwood Stakes featuring two old war horses, Icy Atlantic and Silver Tree, in a very competitive renewal of that one.

ThoroughbredZone will give some live updates today from Monmouth Park via Twitter…And snap shots coming will be posted...

onefast99
05-23-2009, 09:09 AM
A lightning fast track will have Joey P on his way to a 108:2 I don't
see anyone else being able to stay with him in this one.

Bluto Blutarsky
05-23-2009, 10:39 AM
The track at Monmouth is too fast. The vets love it because of all the resultant injuries caused by the pavement like track.

joanied
05-23-2009, 11:03 AM
StevieB...Thanks for your post...I would not have paid attention to this maiden race...looks like it should be one of the best on the card...and although I know Shug is never concerned much about a first time win...I gotta root for Colors Flying in this one...what an incredible family this is...and I'd love to see the 'tradition' continue!

Have a really great :jump: holiday weekend... we sure have some good ones to watch!

joanied
05-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Good maiden race... looks like Colors Flying might want distance...I'll be looking for him in his next out.

Joey P....WOW!!