PDA

View Full Version : California's Day of Reckoning

Overlay
05-22-2009, 11:17 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30893006/

Looks like California will be forced to do what Congress should have done long ago on a national level: achieve a balanced budget through spending cuts.

witchdoctor
05-22-2009, 11:53 PM
I suspect that the US will be having to face this same problem in 4-5 years.

Warren Henry
05-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Wouldn't that be a good thing?

BlueShoe
05-23-2009, 12:27 AM
On a couple of other forums on which I post,this has become a much discussed topic.Big trouble could be ahead.If social services are cut sharply,ie,welfare,food stamps,rent subsidies,free school meals,medical care,etc. the ballon could could go up.Demonstrations,marches,and perhaps full blown riots are not out of the question.Wish I had stocked more ammo,am undergunned if things get real nasty,now I cant find any,all sold out.

Tom
05-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Cutting is ot enough - take EVERYTHING out of the budget. Every dollar.
Then, determine how much money is available.

Now, take each potential budget item and assign a realistic percentage of the total that is should be allotted. Money for the arts - 5%, 2%, 43% ?????
If you want to spend 100 billion on medicare, and you only can afford 50 million, then that is what you do.

You need a big ax....a very big ax.

Overlay
05-23-2009, 04:16 PM

And politicians with the willingness and guts to swing it

JustRalph
05-23-2009, 04:31 PM
On a couple of other forums on which I post,this has become a much discussed topic.Big trouble could be ahead.If social services are cut sharply,ie,welfare,food stamps,rent subsidies,free school meals,medical care,etc. the ballon could could go up.Demonstrations,marches,and perhaps full blown riots are not out of the question.Wish I had stocked more ammo,am undergunned if things get real nasty,now I cant find any,all sold out.

oh come on? They never riot in california

rrbauer
05-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Cutting is ot enough - take EVERYTHING out of the budget. Every dollar.
Then, determine how much money is available.

Now, take each potential budget item and assign a realistic percentage of the total that is should be allotted. Money for the arts - 5%, 2%, 43% ?????
If you want to spend 100 billion on medicare, and you only can afford 50 million, then that is what you do.

That would be the zero-basis budget. Every line item needs justification before it's ever a line item.

rrbauer
05-23-2009, 08:58 PM

What starts with the letter "C": California, Chaos, Calamity, Chernobyl, Catastrophe, Cataclysm. A few billion dollars shortfall in California is ho-hum stuff. TARP will become CRAP as Arnold reminds Barack where his biggest plurality came from in last November's election. Find another doomsday scenario. It's not in California.

BlueShoe
05-24-2009, 12:45 AM
oh come on? They never riot in california

You must be right,guess that the friendly little gathering burning and looting in LA in 1992 were just actors performing in a made-for-tv movie.

acorn54
05-24-2009, 12:50 AM
i think california will just become another federal government bailout
the feds will step in if push comes to shove
basically what we have for the future is bail outs and more bail outs as states fail to make ends meet and go to the feds to give them money.
the feds will use two strategies to come up with the money. one is to print more money and the other is their power of taxation to raise taxes.

Tom
05-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Q - What does Arnold say to the taxpayers after he takes their last dime?

A - Ah'llllllll be baaaacck!

BlueShoe
05-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Q - What does Arnold say to the taxpayers after he takes their last dime?

A - Ah'llllllll be baaaacck!

Not this time.After next years gubnatorial election he will at last be -- Terminated.

46zilzal
05-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Not this time.After next years gubnatorial election he will at last be -- Terminated.
Very surprised he won last time. He changed the status on injured workers claims now so that even if you are a quadraplegic you are NOT 100% disabled.

ArlJim78
05-27-2009, 05:57 PM
hey, lets bail out California. check out these (http://myprops.org/content/S.F.-is-gonna-be-broke-whether-you-like-it-or-not/?ref=patrick.net) San Francisco salaries.:eek:

you've got 50 people making over $222,000 including firefighters and for some reason many deputy chiefs.

The Judge
05-29-2009, 04:51 PM
there is now talk of closing 200 State Parks this is short sighted as millions of tourists visit those parks and bring needed capital to the economy. I am also sure the Governor knows that locals will be headed for state parks to save money.

This maybe punishment for not passing the 2 state money bills a few weeks ago.

Tom
05-30-2009, 10:09 AM
California should start by laying off all non-essential personnel.

1. Arnold
2. State legislature

boxcar
05-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Very surprised he won last time. He changed the status on injured workers claims now so that even if you are a quadraplegic you are NOT 100% disabled.

Interesting. I wonder if "dead" would qualify as 100% disabled to this moron's mind? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

jballscalls
05-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Interesting. I wonder if "dead" would qualify as 100% disabled to this moron's mind? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

probably not, aren't there dead people that vote in elections all the time??

Tom
05-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Arnold himself is brain dead.

boxcar
05-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Arnold himself is brain dead.

That's what makes him qualified to be the CEO of California. :rolleyes:

Boxcar