PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Gate 'DQ Shock'

Imriledup
05-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Its bad enough that tracks will continue to disqualify borderline situations, but Golden Gate takes that to a new level. Not only do you get disqualified at GG, but they make it appear like you stayed up before they take you down.

I've been around thoroughbred racing for many years and i can't name you too many tracks that stop blinking the affected runners, remove the inquiry sign, wait a few seconds and THEN, flip the numbers on the board.

Every track that i've ever seen flips the numbers during the blinking.

In other words, if your number stops blinking, you stayed up. You stay up at every track but Golden Gate. There, you have no idea if you won until you actually collect your money. They can 'flip you' at any time.

If you are blinking at Golden Gate and you stop blinking, you are still not safe.

GG is the only track that i've ever seen do it this way.

bushwick
05-22-2009, 11:12 PM
I take it you bet the horse that was taken down?

PaceAdvantage
05-23-2009, 04:04 AM
They used to have a term for this sort of thing:

PSYCHE!

Imriledup
05-23-2009, 04:23 AM
I take it you bet the horse that was taken down?

No, just something i've noticed at this place.

That, and the stewards aren't very good.

andymays
05-23-2009, 08:59 AM
No, just something i've noticed at this place.

That, and the stewards aren't very good.

The problem is consistency.

The Stewards in California have periodic meetings where they review controversial calls. Last year they reviewed at least 4 races that I submitted to Mike Marten because I thought they were horrendous calls. The Stewards stuck by their calls for varying reasons.

This year I have complained about another 4 races so far that directly contradict their reasons for the disqualifications (or not) from the previous year.

They use the "altered the order of finish" argument sometimes and totally ignore it at other times.

Just about every time I'm involved in an Inquiry I get a bad feeling in my gut because you never know what they're gonna do.

Consistency is the key!

kenwoodallpromos
05-23-2009, 11:21 AM
I thought GGF was supposed to be too chalky.

Imriledup
05-23-2009, 03:08 PM
The problem is consistency.

The Stewards in California have periodic meetings where they review controversial calls. Last year they reviewed at least 4 races that I submitted to Mike Marten because I thought they were horrendous calls. The Stewards stuck by their calls for varying reasons.

This year I have complained about another 4 races so far that directly contradict their reasons for the disqualifications (or not) from the previous year.

They use the "altered the order of finish" argument sometimes and totally ignore it at other times.

Just about every time I'm involved in an Inquiry I get a bad feeling in my gut because you never know what they're gonna do.

Consistency is the key!

I Agree with consistency being a problem, but i believe that the real problem is over officiating. There's too much 'nit picking' and they are too closed minded. Just the fact that they didn't agree with any one of your horrendous calls just shows me that they aren't ever going to admit a mistake. What they did to you was say "We never make mistakes". Gee, that's pretty funny, one of these stewards is like 70 years old with coke bottle glasses and he never makes a mistake? Men in their 30s and 40s with razor sharp reflexes and brains that are in their prime are making mistakes all the time but a guy who wears a diaper under his suit never makes a mistake? Cmon now, they must think you were born last night.

GG had a DQ a few days ago where the 'altered finish' never came into play and they still took the runner down. It was a Julio garcia ridden horse who won at 7-1 (it was a horse who raced at Hollywood last time and was a former Eddie Truman pupil, i forget the name). Anyway, that horse angled out while raging with run with a 16th to go and forced the 1 horse to steady, that horse was totally 'done' and wasn't hitting the board anyway. This was a perfect example where you pay off the best horse in the race and you fine/suspend the rider for a dangerous move. No way the public should have gotten the shaft in that instance.

comet52
05-24-2009, 12:44 PM
I got a win out of a dq recently. I thought it was nice, once in a while something makes up for some of the bad beats.

Imriledup
05-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Anyone pay attention to GG races today?

Marshall Bennett
05-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Northern Cal. racing to me is about as boring as AA baseball .

juanepstein
05-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Anyone pay attention to GG races today?

yeah i had the #3 wp and the #3 on the top end of a trifecta in the last race.

he was running great and was gonna at least hit 2nd so i could cash all my tickets but the #1a that comes over on him and makes him pull up and he has to come back on but its too late and he gets 3rd.

no freaken dq called unfreakenbelievable in my book.

pissed me off. i think the stewards went home after the stakes race.

Imriledup
05-30-2009, 10:03 PM
yeah i had the #3 wp and the #3 on the top end of a trifecta in the last race.

he was running great and was gonna at least hit 2nd so i could cash all my tickets but the #1a that comes over on him and makes him pull up and he has to come back on but its too late and he gets 3rd.

no freaken dq called unfreakenbelievable in my book.

pissed me off. i think the stewards went home after the stakes race.

I bet the 3 also, the winner totally cost him a placing and there wasn't even an inquiry.

The stewards actually were never there today. Take a look at the head on of the 5th race, the winner drifts out the entire lane bumping the 5 horse hard about 70 yards from the wire. The 5 lost a board spot by a nose in a tight photo. They 'looked at it' for about 5 seconds before making it official. I was ONE HUNDRED pct sure that winner was coming down (from the precedent these same judges have set in the last few weeks) and nothing. Nada. Zip.

Two glaring situations where there was absolutely no doubt the fouled horse was cost a placing and neither race was altered.

juanepstein
05-30-2009, 10:18 PM
I bet the 3 also, the winner totally cost him a placing and there wasn't even an inquiry.

The stewards actually were never there today. Take a look at the head on of the 5th race, the winner drifts out the entire lane bumping the 5 horse hard about 70 yards from the wire. The 5 lost a board spot by a nose in a tight photo. They 'looked at it' for about 5 seconds before making it official. I was ONE HUNDRED pct sure that winner was coming down (from the precedent these same judges have set in the last few weeks) and nothing. Nada. Zip.

Two glaring situations where there was absolutely no doubt the fouled horse was cost a placing and neither race was altered.

thats funny did we bet the same horses today. i had the fu peg horse too. from watching the stretch run i thought wow this horse would win if he just payed attention. the jock was asking him from the turn to the finish. was surprised he made to were he did. but then i saw the replay and said the #1 is coming down but no. ridiculous.

i have that 35 on my watchlist but how good is a $4000 claimer on a watchlist. but ill check out his condition next out.

Imriledup
05-31-2009, 03:22 AM
Here's a DQ from a few weeks ago at GG. This horse that was 'interfered' with was stopping and was going to finish last. Interestingly enough, one steward said that no DQ should be handed down because it didn't affect the outcome.

I guess i am to assume that the other two stewards thought that Rocket Kitty WAS cost a better placing? Its a pretty scary thing if stewards are making rulings on stuff like this and have absolutely no idea what they are looking at.

STEWARDS’ INQUIRY – Seventh Race – DISQUALIFICATION

The stewards posted the inquiry sign to evaluate an incident inside the 1/16 between

the winner, #4 OUR ROAD SCHOLAR, ridden by Julio Garcia and the eighth placed

horse, #1 ROCKET KITTY, with jockey David Lopez. After a thorough review the

stewards disqualified OUR ROAD SCHOLAR from first and placed him eighth behind

ROCKET KITTY.

Tapes showed that Garcia angled OUR ROAD SCHOLAR out just past the 1/16 and in

doing so bumped and impeded ROCKET KITTY who was forced to check as a result of

the contact. The decision to disqualify was by majority vote with Mr. Nevin dissenting.

All three stewards agreed that OUR ROAD SCHOLAR interfered with ROCKET KITTY but

Nevin did not feel the latter was cost a better placing.

Imriledup
05-31-2009, 03:44 AM
Saw this funny entry in the CHRB rulings at Golden Gate, thought you might enjoy this!

California Horse Racing Board Page 7

03-29-096 DOLLAR DAY EXCITEMENT

Prior to the running of the sixth race a patron, possibly taking part in the liquid portion:lol:

of the Sunday “Dollar “Day promotion, took an afternoon swim in the Golden Gate Fields

infield lake. After this fan left the infield, very wet, he was detained by members of

T. W. Johnson’s Golden Gate Fields’ security staff who held him for an unspecified

amount of time.