PDA

View Full Version : Derby Analysis...

Bubbles
05-01-2003, 06:32 PM
Hey all...

There are enough storylines in this Derby to fill this post. We've got a horse owned by a movie director (Atswhatimtalknbout), one that was nearly lost at birth (Brancusi)...the list goes on and on. Anyway, here's the horse-by-horse analysis...

1) Supah Blitz-Am getting mixed signals. Threw in a career-fast Beyer last out, but that field was sooooo bad compared to these; class disadvantage makes me look elsewhere.

2) Brancusi-His last three starts have been great. He nearly won the San Felipe two back and didn't throw in a really bad race in the Blue Grass. But what interests me most is his 4/20 work at KEE (:59 for 5f). This horse reminds me a lot of War Emblem with his solid early speed; very appealing, especially at 30-1; top pick.

3) Sir Cherokee-WOW. That's what I say about his Arkansas Derby upset. He came from seventeen lengths back to win that one, but some still have their doubts. He'll bounce. He won't be able to pick off this field. Bull. He completes my exacta.

4) Atswhatimtalknbout-His stock absolutely plummeted after his SA Derby flop. However, some must be encouraged after a series of promising works, and you can't doubt his pedigree (his sire was A.P. Indy); could be charging down the lane and might get a share.

5) Peace Rules-Some were questioning his Blue Grass win, as he didn't respond to urging in the stretch. However, a win is a win, and I respect this horse a lot. He has plenty of early speed and will be in the mix through the first half-mile; major player.

6) Funny Cide-Hard not to like a horse that came a half-length from all the money in the Wood. This horse has only thrown in one bad effort in his career (Holy Bull Stakes) and has been working the lights out; gets a spot on my exotics tickets, and will be my pick to win in the mud.

7) Offlee Wild-This horse was a well-beaten third in the Blue Grass. However, he has won on this track, traces back to a Triple Crown winner, and has won a respectable stakes, all of which give this horse somewhat of a shot.

8) Buddy Gil-There's no doubt that he's the best in California, but can he tackle these? There are just too many angles working against him (lots of speedballs, the gelding factor, and lack of experience on this track) here, and he's one I will bet against.

9) Indian Express-Baffert did this last year with War Emblem, but can he repeat? I say no. He's never won a race longer than 6.5 furlongs and his works are average at best; elsewhere.

10) Lone Star Sky-The only thing going for him here is that he has won on the track before. Other than that, I say no on a fast track, but he has impeccable bloodlines for running in the mud and could surprise if it rains hard on Friday.

11) Domestic Dispute-All I'm gonna say is that for some strange reason, the word "NO" keeps popping into my mind.

12) Empire Maker-What surprises me is that the Wood, which he wasn't supposed to be running hard in, was FASTER than his Florida Derby romp. This has me concerned about a fast track, and what happens if, say, Buddy Gil or Funny Cide get out there and set comfortable fractions? Believe it or not, I'll leave him off my win tickets, but I will play him on an off track.

13) Eye of the Tiger-See Domestic Dispute.

14) Ten Cents a Shine-Perhaps the most overrated colt out there right now. Can close, but this field simply outclasses him.

15) Outta Here-Has experience at the distance, but that's the only thing going for him on a fast track. However, he traces back to both Deputy Minister and Forty Niner, both excellent mud horses; would not surprise if there is moisture in the track.

16) Ten Most Wanted-Just who did he beat at Hawthorne? He had a golden trip, and while he finished well, the time wasn't exactly outstanding (1:51 2/5); will be coming late, but the outside post is a setback.

17) Scrimshaw-Lukas is back again. This horse had rotten luck in the draw, but simply ran the hands of the watches in a work on 4/16 (46 3/5 for 4f); has speed, the question is, does he have the stamina?

DA PICKS

FAST

1) BRANCUSI
2) SIR CHEROKEE
3) PEACE RULES
4) OFFLEE WILD
5) SCRIMSHAW
6) EMPIRE MAKER

OFF

1) FUNNY CIDE
2) EMPIRE MAKER
3) LONE STAR SKY
4) BRANCUSI
5) OUTTA HERE
6) SCRIMSHAW

Bubbles
05-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Correction: ATSWHATIMTALKNBOUT should be sixth on a fast track, EMPIRE MAKER seventh.

Kentucky Bred
05-01-2003, 10:03 PM
Whether I agree with you on every pick is irrelevant. You considered a ton of angles and factors. This post took time. I appreciate it.

I'm boxing 4 horses in a tri (I am strictly a win bettor normally)

Peace Rules
Funny Cide
Empire Maker
Sir Cherokee

Yep, I would hate EM to win at 6-5 but if he did, and he is currently the unquestioned best horse on the track based simply on the "cold dope", then Sir Cherokee and Funny Cide in the next slots would still pay very well.

As to win, it all depends on Peace Rules final odds. I think he might stay 8-1 or drop to 9-2 or so. The former I'm interested, the latter I'm not.

The only horse you turned me onto was Brancusi. Some things to at least think about.

Pace here is everything. Frankel has to send Peace Rules. He has to set a pace for EM's charge. Who will go with him? Who breaks well to avoid the traffic jam on the first turn? Maybe Funny Cide and your right, maybe Brancusi.

Kentucky Bred

plainolebill
05-02-2003, 02:28 AM
If Frankel sends Peace Rules, the party's over for E. Gann and his fine colt. Brancusi will for sure be going, Biancone picked the two hole and they don't have an option from there. What I've been cogitating on is this: Empire Maker with blinkers has become a presser, if the pace is really hot will he rate back 5 or 6 lengths? Will he pull? Will he sulk? Same with the other horses that want to be just behind the pace, if the pace is really solid, I'm wondering if it could really compromise their chances? I'm going to handicap the race this way and play at least a few tickets this way. If Empire Maker is a monster it won't make any difference. Maybe I should cut down on the coffee. :p

Bill

Bubbles
05-05-2003, 05:05 PM
First off, thanks Kentucky Bred. Great to know my input is being appreciated.
Secondly, if u look at my analysis, I was right about every horse but Brancusi, who finished DEAD LAST (grrrrrrrr). Played the exacta for a buck and got it, but with the money I spent on all the other wagers, I only won like $15, despite a $47 payoff for a $1 exacta. This game can never let me out satisfied.