PDA

View Full Version : and old DICK is back in the saddle no doubt

46zilzal
05-21-2009, 02:59 PM
U.S. Army paid bonuses to KBR despite deaths

By Thomas Ferraro

WASHINGTON, May 20 (Reuters) - The U.S. Army paid $83.4 million in bonuses to KBR Inc. (KBR.N), its biggest contractor in Iraq, despite accusations its wiring work has been linked to the electrocution of at least four soldiers and one contractor, a congressional investigative panel said on Wednesday.

The Senate Democratic Policy Committee said it also determined that more than half of the bonuses -- $48.9 million -- were awarded after the Defense Department sounded an alarm in early 2007 about what the panel described as pervasive problems with KBR.

Chairman Byron Dorgan opened the hearing by ripping into the Houston-based company and accusing the Army of "stunning incompetence" in rewarding it for its work.

Tom
05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Shame on Obama.

riskman
05-21-2009, 05:57 PM
The gubermint has to honor their contacts with KBR don't they? I am sure there will be lawsuits by the injured parties against KBR. If negligent, a settlement will be offered in or out of court.

I am not defending KBR's work but you tell me what other company would do the work in Iraq at any price. It is a miracle that anything can be completed under working conditions that exist in that crap hole.

mostpost
05-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Shame on Obama.
WHAT!!!!!! You do know these bonuses were paid in 2007 and 2008?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090520/pl_nm/us_iraq_army_kbr

cj's dad
05-21-2009, 06:55 PM
People are electrocuted every single day in the US as well as anywhere else you can think of and much of these do not come from faulty wiring by the contractor. Many individuals create very bad situations which can create a danger to themselves and others. Plus, in the desert there are inherited situations with proper grounding due to the soil (sand) and as anyone in the trade knows nearly every electrocution is a result of lack of proper grounding.

mostpost
05-21-2009, 07:02 PM
The gubermint has to honor their contacts with KBR don't they? I am sure there will be lawsuits by the injured parties against KBR. If negligent, a settlement will be offered in or out of court.

I am not defending KBR's work but you tell me what other company would do the work in Iraq at any price. It is a miracle that anything can be completed under working conditions that exist in that crap hole.

Contracts must be honored by both parties. If someone contracts to replace the roof on your house and leaves gaping holes covered only by shingles; you are not required to uphold your side of the contract.

As far as lawsuits go, some of those people are dead. Can they sue to become undead? Besides, that is a seperate issue. KBR should not have been paid and they should be sued.

It's a joke to ask who else could do the work. First, no one was given a chance to bid. Second, KBR knew where they were going. Third, they did shoddy work to cut costs and maximize profits. Let me correct myself. KBR should not have been paid, they should be sued, and THEY SHOULD BE IN PRISON.

Tom
05-21-2009, 09:32 PM
WHAT!!!!!! You do know these bonuses were paid in 2007 and 2008?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090520/pl_nm/us_iraq_army_kbr

You mean 46 is posting OLD news?????? :eek:

cj's dad
05-22-2009, 07:31 AM
I would also GUARANTEE that the electrocution death of 5 individuals in a one year (or longer) period is far less than the average per capita electrocution rate in the U.S.