PDA

View Full Version : *.temp files

so.cal.fan
05-20-2009, 08:46 PM
I run a search for temp files pretty often,
lately I've been getting over a 100 show up ....wbk402.tmp types only, taking up 0 space.
I delete them, and they go into the trash and I can delete them all, but they don't go off the search screen right away.
This is a new thing. Anyone know what is the problem here?
Thanks in advance
so.cal.fan

dutchboy
05-21-2009, 07:48 PM
http://malektips.com/file_extensions_0012.html

Check this article or google your question.

so.cal.fan
05-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks, Dutchboy. I'll save this link.

so.cal.fan
05-22-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm hesitant to download any additional software.
I'm still getting anywhere from 100 to over 200 of these wbk temp files.
I found out they are originating from OE 6.
Any suggestions?

Tom
05-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Go to internet Tools>Internet Options> Delete Temp Files, the click Yes to clear offline content - see if this helps.

so.cal.fan
05-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks, Tom, I did something similar last night and it seems to have worked.
I went to tools....internet options....security....advanced, then clicked delete all temp files when browser is closed.

Marshall Bennett
05-23-2009, 11:59 AM
You can also go to the advanced tab on Tom's diagram and check the box empty temporary internet files folder when browser is closed . This will do the same without having to manually go through the sequence . I've been doing it for years without any problems .

so.cal.fan
05-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks, you guys. That's what I did Marshall. It is working fine.
:)

Tom
05-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks, Marshall, I am going to use that setting, too.

Tom
06-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Hey SoCalFan.......
Do you have CCleaner?
It is very good.

I forgot I had it and haven't run it in a long time. I read an article
about it this week so I ran it last night.

Before running it, it took 57 seconds for Word to load, 75 seconds for Excel, and 93 seconds for FireFox.

After running it, and it ran for a long time!, all three loaded within 5 seconds!!! I'm running that bad boy regularly from now on.

so.cal.fan
06-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks, Tom, but where do I get it? C Cleaner?
My temp files stopped for a while, now most of them keep coming back.

michiken
06-03-2009, 12:23 PM
You can get CCLeaner and much more free software at download.com
(http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=ccleaner&tag=srch%3Ba&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows&filter=platform%3DWindows)

Marshall Bennett
06-03-2009, 12:28 PM
I was always under the impression that temp. files for the most part didn't consume a lot of space , of course if you've gone months without clearing them it would be another matter . Many of the cookies you actually need to speed up the browsing process . I know I have the cleaner and if I'm not carefull and uncheck the items or files I don't want to delete , it wipes out everything . Then your faced with having to log into every site again that you frequent that has your user name , such as this site . I know less than most here regarding computers but I know I've screwed up before with this issue so just thought I'd pass it along .

so.cal.fan
06-03-2009, 02:47 PM
My files don't take up any space, for the most part.
I read a while back that if you have more than a few files come up when you do a search, you may have a problem.
Just Ralph posted that.
If you're reading this JR? Could you explain?
Thanks