PDA

View Full Version : Total Beginner

MNSmoker
05-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Hi everyone. I'm totally new to the world of horse racing, and I would like to know more about this sport. I have no aspirations of becoming a pro, I have no desire to do this full time and I have no delusions of becoming rich. I fully expect to lose more money than I make, but I'm still interested in learning more.

I live in Minnesota, so I will be playing at Canterbury Park in Shakopee and possibly Running Aces Harness Park in Forest Lake. I will probably play primarily at Canterbury, because harness racing doesn't appear to be that appealing to me. I don't plan on betting any other tracks, and this will be purely a hobby for me and just for entertainment.

I know next to nothing when it comes to this sport. I would like to know if there is a book or a website that totally breaks down this sport to a total beginner. I would like to learn how to read the racing forms, and how to handicap the races. I also would like to learn about the different betting options that are available. Also, I have no interest in purchasing and learning software to help me make picks.

I went to Canterbury with some friends last year and had a wonderful time. This time around I would like to have a little understanding of what the hell I'm doing. :) Thank you in advance for any information and assistance that you guys can provide to me. I'm looking forward to learning more about this hobby.

notchback
05-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Here is a good place to start...

http://www.turfpedia.com/

Welcome

Zenyatta To Crush
05-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi everyone. I'm totally new to the world of horse racing, and I would like to know more about this sport. I have no aspirations of becoming a pro, I have no desire to do this full time and I have no delusions of becoming rich. I fully expect to lose more money than I make, but I'm still interested in learning more.

I live in Minnesota, so I will be playing at Canterbury Park in Shakopee and possibly Running Aces Harness Park in Forest Lake. I will probably play primarily at Canterbury, because harness racing doesn't appear to be that appealing to me. I don't plan on betting any other tracks, and this will be purely a hobby for me and just for entertainment.

I know next to nothing when it comes to this sport. I would like to know if there is a book or a website that totally breaks down this sport to a total beginner. I would like to learn how to read the racing forms, and how to handicap the races. I also would like to learn about the different betting options that are available. Also, I have no interest in purchasing and learning software to help me make picks.

I went to Canterbury with some friends last year and had a wonderful time. This time around I would like to have a little understanding of what the hell I'm doing. :) Thank you in advance for any information and assistance that you guys can provide to me. I'm looking forward to learning more about this hobby.
I live about 20 minutes from Canterbury and go there quite often. The one thing to know about betting Canterbury is that trainer Mac Robertson absolutely dominates the races. When a Robertson horse is entered, they will be overbet, but usually win at a high percentage. Thursday nights are great nights to go there. They don't start racing on Thursdays until June 4, but they are very popular due to it being Buck night. Also, don't miss Claiming Crown day on July 25...its the one day that Canterbury actually gets some national attention.

Imriledup
05-20-2009, 12:15 AM

I think the first question i would have is how much work do you want to put into this? Handicapping takes time, how much actual time do you have to spend on the form before you go out to the track?

I know you say that you don't want to be a pro and have no delusions of grandeur, but in order for the handicapping process to be fun, you are going to have to see the fruits of your labor.

Put it this way. If you do ANY work, even if its 5 minutes worth and you don't get rewarded, you are going to wake up one morning and say "why am i bothering to do work if i'm just going to lose anyway?"

What if, for example, you read a few books and learn how to read the form and finding yourself doing an hour or more handicapping the races and you don't show anything for it? Do you have the ability to keep spending an hour or two looking at numbers on a piece of paper only to lose your money in the end? That is something you need to address before you start this.

kenwoodallpromos
05-20-2009, 02:49 AM
Here is a good place to start...

http://www.turfpedia.com/

Welcome
Also, check out a good book on physicality handicapping, and note the color of the track so you get to know how much water from weather or from maintainence causes Canterberry to become early-speed fast or muddy slow.
Sometimes you can see the original color along the inside and outside fences.

raybo
05-20-2009, 07:31 AM
I agree that "Turfpedia.com" is a good place to start. I also agree that you need to decide what your goals are. Do you really think you can continue the learning process despite constantly losing money? Do you truly enjoy the challenges presented by handicapping?

Once you get familiar with racing terminology and the reading (and understanding) of the "Form" or whatever data you will be using, the first thing that most proficient handicappers here and elsewhere adhere to, or attempt to, is the fact that "value" is #1. Understanding that the pre-race odds posted are only a representation of how the public, at large, is betting it's money, not the actual chances of any horse winning. Therefore, there are inefficiancies in the odds that you can and should exploit.

Handicapping is only a portion of the game, the money side is just as important.

Bruddah
05-20-2009, 07:55 AM
This sport needs you. However, in the beginning, you will need to know many things about yourself;
1. Do you like Horses?
2. Are you curious by nature?
3. Do you like to study and analyze?
4. Do you read for fun or information?
5. Are you a good record keeper?
6. Are you a risk taker?
7. Can you take more defeats than success?
8. Can you afford an expensive Hobby?

I am sure the rest of my fellow Handicappers can ask many more pertinent questions. We all have asked ourselves these same things over the years. I fell in love with this Sport in 1965 as a young man. While not so young anymore, I love it more, even with the Blue Blood idiots ruining it Daily.

Welcome and hope you decide to stay and learn. ;)

Best Regards
Bruddah

JustRalph
05-20-2009, 08:41 AM
I hope you have a small fortune to start with.............

Now make a smart decision.

Start a Masters Degree program at the local college

or

Learn to play the horses .............. about the same effort

MNSmoker
05-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the information guys. Maybe my already low expectations for this hobby might still be a little too lofty. I'll try and provide some additional information that you guys are looking for.

1. Do you like Horses?
Yes

2. Are you curious by nature?
Yes

3. Do you like to study and analyze?
If it's something that interests me, yes

4. Do you read for fun or information?
Both

5. Are you a good record keeper?
No

6. Are you a risk taker?
Typically no

7. Can you take more defeats than success?
Yes

8. Can you afford an expensive Hobby?
(Define expensive) Maybe

I have plenty of time available to put towards handicapping on race day. I don't think this is an issue at all for me (How much time do you guys generally put towards handicapping a day of racing at one track?). I don't mind putting in the work required, but again I would like to reiterate that this would be mainly a hobby for me and not a source of secondary income. I'm of the mindset that if I'm going to do something, I would like to do it right.

Spending a day at the races is something that I really enjoy doing. I love the betting, I love the atmosphere and I love the people. I've read a few different posts on this site that the percentage of people that make money in this sport is very few, that is why my expectations to make money are very low. Optimally I would love to make money, I'm just aware that this is probably unlikely.

Anyways, thanks again for the help and I hope these answers can help to clarify a few things.

MNSmoker
05-20-2009, 01:46 PM
I hope you have a small fortune to start with.............

Now make a smart decision.

Start a Masters Degree program at the local college

or

Learn to play the horses .............. about the same effort

I think you may have misunderstood my intentions. I don't want to master this game, I just want to learn the basics. I want the ability to read a race form and make a few small monetary bets on the horses. I don't plan on going to the track more than a few times over the summer. I want to gain a better understanding of handicapping and horse racing. Nothing more. I don't have the time, the patience, the bank roll or the ability to do this full time and make money.

JustRalph
05-20-2009, 01:51 PM
I think you may have misunderstood my intentions. I don't want to master this game, I just want to learn the basics. I want the ability to read a race form and make a few small monetary bets on the horses. I don't plan on going to the track more than a few times over the summer. I want to gain a better understanding of handicapping and horse racing. Nothing more. I don't have the time, the patience, the bank roll or the ability to do this full time and make money.

Then Welcome and know that you are at the best place for your indoctrination.................have fun......... :ThmbUp:

46zilzal
05-20-2009, 01:57 PM
So many of my young friends invest TOO MUCH MONEY the first few times they go, get frustrated, then don't come back.

PLAY ON PAPER first, learn how to spot a good wager. THEN if you show a profit, do it for real

Bettowin
05-20-2009, 01:58 PM
If you are only going to focus on Canterbury it will be much easier.

The basic handicapping is not that hard to learn and implement. It's the results you are going to get and how to figure out what you missed or if the result of your handicapping was because of a race that wasn't very predictable in the first place.

I would suggest to get the past performances of a track you can watch now and handicap a few races and see what happens. At least when Canterbury opens you won't be wasting a few weeks just getting a handle on how to deciper past performances.

When I lived about 15 minutes from Cby I handicapped and watched every race for a season and came out way ahead. I bet maybe once or twice a card and sometimes not at all that day. I watched the races on the nightly replay show and got to know every horse. Now with internet replays it is so much easier. I stayed with win and place bets with an exacta once in a while if I liked a few longer odds horses under my pick. But again the key was to really get to know the trainers and horses to the point where I almost knew when a horse I was watching was going to run his next race and at what level.

If you are getting into it to have fun and really don't care about turning a profit immediately bet the 2-4 exacta box and if they are both greys double your bet:)

Bettowin
05-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Here's a link to Brisnet's explanation of their past performances. You can print this and get familiar with the information. If you like it you can create an account and download for $1 per track. Beats having to buy the whole racing form for one track.

http://www.brisnet.com/library/premexpl.pdf

Marshall Bennett
05-20-2009, 02:12 PM
You'd be surprised how much you'll learn right here . As you can see by the post above everyone is helpful and willing to answer questions . Scan the various horseracing threads frequently and you'll be amazed at the insight on every aspect of the game . There are many experts right here ( myself not included by a mile ) and their opinions are of value . You'll learn soon who the " experts " are , and there are quite a few of them . Of course they'd never describe themselves as such , but to you and I they are . You'll discover opinions differ , there are arguments , but its part of the game and its all useful imformation . Simply pay close attention to everything , and enjoy !!

rrbauer
05-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Play poker!

riskman
05-20-2009, 02:42 PM
This is a book written for novices. The price is right and is a good primer.

The Blood-Horse Authoritative Guide to Betting (Turtleback

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Horse-Authoritative-Guide-Betting/dp/1581501196/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Good luck at CBY....and most of all have fun.