PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Robinson

cj's dad
05-19-2009, 06:50 PM
The greatest fielding 3rd baseman ever has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Brooks- #5 - has just completed treatment @ Johns Hopkins hospital and will now undergo regular check-ups to see if this disease is under control.

I have never met Brooks but those who have say that he is the finest gentleman one could ever meet- funny that he is so typical of every single individual I have met in my several trips to Arkansas. Little Rock is Brooks home town.

God be with you Brooks !!

JustRalph
05-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Good Wishes to one of the best Gloves to ever grace a diamond........ :ThmbUp:

Overlay
05-19-2009, 07:04 PM
He was a one-man wrecking crew (with both glove and bat) against my hometown Cincinnati Reds in the 1970 World Series.

Best of luck and all good wishes to him!

JustRalph
05-19-2009, 07:23 PM
If I remember right.........Brooks and Boog both had big series to beat the Reds........ I was a kid........but remember it well............

Overlay
05-19-2009, 07:32 PM
If I remember right.........Brooks and Boog both had big series to beat the Reds........ I was a kid........but remember it well............

Boog had a good series, too, but I believe that it was Brooks who won the Series MVP (although it could just as well have been umpire Ken Burkhart for the assist he gave the Orioles with his back-to-the-play "out" call at home on the Reds' Bernie Carbo).

JWBurnie
05-19-2009, 07:53 PM
I met Brooks Robinson at a camp he held in Baltimore when I was 7-8 (1982-83). My cousin had signed up for the camp and I was just tagging along w/ nothing else to do (I was still playing soccer at that point. Never again.).
Brooks Robinson allowed me to join in on a few of the drills. Yes, I was awful...but I did sign-up for Little League for the first time that spring, and continued to play through HS.

He's all class in my book.

Marshall Bennett
05-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Probably the best 3rd baseman to ever play the game . My thoughts and prayers are with him for sure . The Orioles wouldn't have been the same without Brooks .

NJ Stinks
05-19-2009, 10:00 PM
What a thirdbaseman! I loved the Orioles back then and I'll never believe the Mets were the better team in '69! :mad:

Sure hope Brooks overcomes this. Having Johns Hopkins on his side can only help.

cj
05-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Boog had a good series, too, but I believe that it was Brooks who won the Series MVP (although it could just as well have been umpire Ken Burkhart for the assist he gave the Orioles with his back-to-the-play "out" call at home on the Reds' Bernie Carbo).

In a 4 to 1 series? Come on man...

Overlay
05-21-2009, 12:02 PM

I know I was exaggerating, but Reds' fans have long memories. :D

cj's dad
05-21-2009, 12:04 PM

Elrod Hendricks (R.I.P.) was the catcher.

Hank
05-21-2009, 02:30 PM
In a tiny class of 2 players along with the wizard, whose defense was worth the price of admission.:ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
05-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Not only was he the greatest 3rd basemen in the game but he was a great role model.

Do we still have those?

Dave

cj's dad
05-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Not only was he the greatest 3rd basemen in the game but he was a great role model.

Do we still have those?

Dave

Because I live here I would have to say Melvin Mora. Not a super-star by any stretch but a solid player.

He and his wife have 6 children, 1 single and then quints. You never hear a bad word about the guy and he gives 100% and he plays 3rd base and is pretty darn good there.

boomman
05-22-2009, 01:23 AM

Do we still have those?

Dave

Dave: Let me name another one that also wore #5 that I had the pleasure of watching for 20 years: George Brett.....My friend that lives in Little Rock and has met Brooks has always told me that he is indeed a class act, and we will pray for his health to improve. That world series he had against the "Big Red Machine" was incredible!

Boomer

eastie
05-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Elrod Hendricks (R.I.P.) was the catcher.
Ellie Hendricks was cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Mark Belanger and Brooks Robinson made up the finest fielding left side that baseball has seen since I started watching it in 67. Must have been nice pitching with those 2 behind you.

Overlay
05-22-2009, 12:01 PM

One further thought:

I don't deny the lopsided final outcome of that Series, and the Reds may have ended up losing anyway. But when Burkhart made that call, it denied the Reds a go-ahead run in the later innings of the opening game of the Series. If the Reds had won that game, who's to say how the momentum of the Series might have shifted? (Like when Mickey Owens dropped the third strike for Brooklyn in the fourth game against the Yankees in 1941, giving the Yankees a 3-1 lead in games, and effectively ending the Series. If the Dodgers had been able to tie the Series at 2-2, maybe they could have won their first title that year.)

cj's dad
05-22-2009, 08:48 PM
One further thought:

I don't deny the lopsided final outcome of that Series, and the Reds may have ended up losing anyway. But when Burkhart made that call, it denied the Reds a go-ahead run in the later innings of the opening game of the Series. If the Reds had won that game, who's to say how the momentum of the Series might have shifted? (Like when Mickey Owens dropped the third strike for Brooklyn in the fourth game against the Yankees in 1941, giving the Yankees a 3-1 lead in games, and effectively ending the Series. If the Dodgers had been able to tie the Series at 2-2, maybe they could have won their first title that year.)

Please !!

Overlay
05-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Please !!

Thank you!! :)

Secretariat
05-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Ellie Hendricks was cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Mark Belanger and Brooks Robinson made up the finest fielding left side that baseball has seen since I started watching it in 67. Must have been nice pitching with those 2 behind you.

Boy, you said it. Belanger was phenomenal. Couldn't hit a lick but what a fielder, and Brooks was just unbelevable. I once got to play in a field of dreams type of game where Brooks coached us (cost a lot of money but worth it). Was just a fantastic guy. Pulled my hamstring badly that game and have never played again. But the memory was great. At least in my last game ever I was on the field with Brooks.

My prayers are really with him. Never been a nicer guy in all of baseball.

Hank
05-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Amazingly Brooks never played ball in school,he was discovered in a church rec league :eek:

cj's dad
05-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Amazingly Brooks never played ball in school,he was discovered in a church rec league :eek:

As Ed McMahon used to say, "I did not know that"

ArlJim78
05-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Loved the Orioles back in the day as a kid. Brooks was a magician. how he snatched those shots down the baseline and turned them into outs. true greatness.