PDA

View Full Version : American G. I. in action

cj's dad
05-19-2009, 10:12 AM
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x73/my67falcon/?action=view&current=goodforhim.flv

cj's dad
05-19-2009, 12:06 PM
The #$%^#& website took it down - gutless %$#$@%#

PaceAdvantage
05-19-2009, 10:57 PM
No, I think you got the url wrong....shouldn't be .wmv...let me fix it...

cj's dad
05-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Thanks- U da man !

Dave Schwartz
05-20-2009, 09:49 AM
As it should be.

BTW, I think that was a Sacramento news station. I recognize those anchors.

Dave

Dave Schwartz
05-20-2009, 10:21 AM
You know, the more I stew about this video, the more I see it as a clear picture of what is wrong with our country today.

I can just imagine that some idiot is saying, "Yes, but it is HIS country, too." Or, "He should be allowed to fly whatever flag he wants. After all, it is a free country."

This country was never "free." It was bought with a price. And the immigrants' ancestory did not pay that price. Someone else paid it so that they could enjoy the freedom's offered herein.

Now, to the problem... Far too many "Americans" take our country for granted just as the man shown in the video. That is how we got into this mess.

(Please forgive my soapboxing but I felt compelled.)

ANd I was wrong... it was actually in Reno! Agggh!

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

46zilzal
05-20-2009, 04:58 PM
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x73/my67falcon/?action=view&current=goodforhim.flv
rah rah war....Rah rah violence

Destruction of private property

Tom
05-20-2009, 07:06 PM
To the loyal American who took the flag......WAY TO GO! I'LL PAY YOUR BAIL IF IT COMES TO THAT.

BELMONT 6-6-09
05-20-2009, 07:11 PM
I am proud that I have a number of family members (cousins, uncles with West Point, Marine backgrounds) that are proud veterans who fought for this country The video brought some real emotion that their are still a great deal of americans who know the sacrifice that was made to make this country what it is...the new immigrants just don't understand this patriotism as most of their loyalty is to their own country they left behind.

Tom
05-20-2009, 07:20 PM
I would definitely check the legality of those jerks who flew that flag.
Time for demonstrations in front of their store, sit ins, anything to kill their business. You know good old liberal protesting.

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2009, 03:26 AM
rah rah war....Rah rah violence

Destruction of private propertyBetter to stand around like a wallflower, smoke dope, and flash the peace sign...way more principled if you ask me...

karlskorner
05-21-2009, 10:57 AM
The first thing I noticed, I was issued the same type of knife in 1944, still have it. Maybe I should cut down all the communist Cuban flags flying in S. Florida. There was a short time that Hialeah Park flew this flag until a couple of Vets and myself had a serious talk with John Brunetti.

46zilzal
05-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Better to stand around like a wallflower, smoke dope, and flash the peace sign...way more principled if you ask me...
many people mind their own business. I applaud them for that

Tom
05-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Many people capitalize the first letter of a sentence. I applaud them for that.

cj's dad
05-21-2009, 07:04 PM
many people mind their own business. I applaud them for that

I would love to have a video recording of you getting in the face of the ex-GI who was offended by the American flag being flown UNDER the flag of Mexico.

Derbyman32
05-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Many people capitalize the first letter of a sentence. I applaud them for that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

46zilzal
05-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Did 46 ever admit this?
I chose to stay and went into the lottery of birthdates in 1969-70.

I had a high number, 270, and was not drafted.

I did not move to Canada until June 1977

I broke no law, and turned down a chance by a friend of the family to have braces put on my teeth that would have assured my getting out of the draft. A good friend of the family lost his son FOR NOTHING, and did not want to see if happening to another. I thanked him but said no.

You have some inaccurate information.

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2009, 11:17 PM
You have some inaccurate information.I didn't post that information. But in any event, it has been removed.

cj's dad
05-22-2009, 07:26 AM
I didn't post that information. But in any event, it has been removed.

For the record, he insinuated in a previous post months ago that he had found legitimate legal ways to avoid the draft. One can draw their own conclusions from the word legitimate.

And no, I am not going to waste my time finding it. I stand by my statement.

cj's dad
05-22-2009, 10:50 AM
For the record, he insinuated in a previous post months ago that he had found legitimate legal ways to avoid the draft. One can draw their own conclusions from the word legitimate.

I said I wasn't going to search but I knew what he alluded to:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 05-06-2009, 01:39 PM #189 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=681013&postcount=189) 46zilzal (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/member.php?u=1448) vbmenu_register("postmenu_681013", true);
velocitician

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/image.php?u=1448&dateline=1166318934 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/member.php?u=1448)

vCash: 100

Vietnam need to be exposed for the outrageous SHAM it was: JUST LIKE Iraq.

many of my friends returned never to be the same again. What a ridiculous waste of life, over 58,000 of them including 7 from my high school graduation class.

GAVE COMFORT TO THE ENEMY?

What did ANY Vietnamese ever do to provoke the kind of carnage they suffered? NOTHING

That was forever changed my late father's idea of his government as one of his best friend's sons was killed after three months wasting his life there. An orthodontist, he came to my dad with an offer to put braces on my teeth to insure that he would not have to go through the loss of a son. I declined and got out of that ridiculousness via another legal route

And:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 05-06-2009, 02:55 PM #192 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=681086&postcount=192) 46zilzal (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/member.php?u=1448) vbmenu_register("postmenu_681086", true);
velocitician

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/image.php?u=1448&dateline=1166318934 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/member.php?u=1448)

vCash: 100

Yes: given the lies of what the whole thing was about, I CHOSE to not be part of a lie which exchanged a bunch of poor inner city young men's lives for $$$$$$$$ for Bell Helicopter and others.

When I went to the draft physical I laughed out loud. They took my blood pressure in 4 seconds. One guy couldn't urinate so they poured some from another person's cup into his and tested it as accurate for the two of them.

"Be the first one on your block to have your son come home in a box" still rings as true today as it did then.

Interview With the President, Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, September 2, 1963
This transcript of Walter Cronkite's interview with President Kennedy includes Kennedy's statement that "In the final analysis, it is their war. We can help them, we can give them equipment, we can send our men out there as advisors, but they have to win it..."

The Rah Rah War boys got to him

Me, - One does not choose"to not be part of a lie" by entering the draft lottery and drawing a high number; that would be luck, if one wants to call it that.

socantra
05-22-2009, 10:53 AM

Maybe you should waste your time looking up the word legitimate. Here; I've done it for you.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/legitimate

What sort of sinister conclusions should one draw from the use of such a word and how do you manage to get from there to the ridiculous charge of draft dodging and desertion?

Many thousands of people avoided the draft by legitimate legal ways, including Dick Cheney and Newt Gingrich. I don't want to make this about left and right, so lets throw Al Gore and Al Franken into the mix. There are thousands more, both left and right, and that's just student deferments. It doesn't include medical, family and many other legitimate, legal ways of avoiding the draft

You stand by whatever you are comfortable with, but this sort of character assassination by twisting of words and vague insinuation usually says a lot more about the person making the charge than the person being charged.

cj's dad
05-22-2009, 11:18 AM
One does not "choose" to "not be part of a lie" by casting their fate to a lottery system, okay.

Not my words.

And, BTW, I was drafted because I was not:

1- a student
2- married
3- have dependents
4- have a relative who was already serving or a war casualty
5- a friend or relative of someone with "pull"

There was no lottery in 1966; you registered by your 18th birthday and took your chances or you enlisted.

And just so you know, I too lost friends in that useless f---ing war as well as my wife's (girlfriend at the time) cousin who actually introduced her and I.

RobinFromIreland
05-22-2009, 01:00 PM
I found this really interesting.

Firstly, the US seems to take it's flag-flying far more seriously than any other place I've visited, so a lot of the feelings people express here about these flags, and how they are displayed, just aren't that familiar to me. Most likely because how US citizens interpret their flag appears different to how I feel, for instance, the Irish do.

I didn't realize there existed such rules, or codes, for flying flags. And when I saw the Mexican flag on top of the US flag, it didn't strike me as something that could be construed as insulting. My immediate feeling was that these people are Mexicans and wish to display that fact publicly (and perhaps even proudly). But they now live in the US and wish to acknowledge this country also (and my assumption was, proudly also). I've seen many young Irish people display the Irish flag whenever they are on holiday etc, but usually hung out a window, or draping a chair. Personally, I don't have a inclination to display such a symbol but, for sure, I understand to others it is far more than a piece of cloth.

So I read around a little bit and discovered all these discussion about flag flying etiquette. About what it means when it's just a foreign flag on it's own. About using a separate poles, one no higher than the other. About not touching the ground. But then others said that one certain foreign national holidays, they will fly the flag of said country for perhaps a day, perhaps more. St. Patrick's Day (Week) being such an example.

No real point to make; just that it's not immediately obvious (to me at least) what or how flying a flag means. But I'm certainly not naive enough not to appreciate the effects of national symbolism.

Tom
05-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Robin, the flag, to most of us, is a symbol of what we are, who we are.
It is a symbol of our freedom. It was an inspiration during the Revolutionary War that sort of defines what were doing.

Many soldiers have fought and died defending the flag, but in fact, they did it for their country. The flag is the focal point of America. It is like the Brits saying God Save the Queen. When people attack of defame the flag, many take it very personally because of the huge price in lives and treasure we paid for what it represents. You might get away with insulting a man's wife, but trash his flag he might wring your neck!

This is why certain wack-o elements of this country burn the flag in protests. It is the ultimate insult to America.

By flying the foreign flag over Old Glory, they were insulting that GI. They were insulting all of us.

chickenhead
05-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Firstly, the US seems to take it's flag-flying far more seriously than any other place I've visited, so a lot of the feelings people express here about these flags, and how they are displayed, just aren't that familiar to me. Most likely because how US citizens interpret their flag appears different to how I feel, for instance, the Irish do.

I think our very strong attachment to these things has a lot to do with being a nation of immigrants from all over the place --without a deeply shared cultural background to bind the groups and people together.

America is just an idea after all, without the ideas and the symbols -- we're just a bunch of people who don't know much about each other (possibly don't even like each other much :eek: ). So the symbols we associate with "America" are more strongly cherished -- because that's really all we have -- that we can point to as "ours".

chickenhead
05-22-2009, 03:58 PM
the other reason -- which I shouldn't have left out as its probably the most important, is that a lot of people came here in very tough straights -- poor, uneducated, getting away from some terrible oppression -- and managed to see in their lifetimes their children become far wealthier and more successful than they would have ever imagined was possible. And this has happened decade after decade, for tens and tens of millions of people.

That same dynamic isn't present in most places in the same way, its pretty unique. The old girl has built up a lot of lasting good will over the years from her citizens.

hcap
05-23-2009, 05:52 AM
And, BTW, I was drafted because I was not:

1- a student
2- married
3- have dependents
4- have a relative who was already serving or a war casualty
5- a friend or relative of someone with "pull"
6- Did not suffer from an extremely minor physical ailment-THE DREADED ANAL CYST!!

http://www.pensitoreview.com/images/photo-rush-limbaugh-cigar.jpg
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy28a.jpg

Another legitimate draft dodger wouldn't you say??

PaceAdvantage
05-24-2009, 06:30 PM
It's not an anal cyst. I'm sure Dr. 46 will be along to correct you soon enough.

And it's not all that minor, as someone else has attested to right here in off-topic not too long ago. I'm sure Dr. 46 will correct you on that as well...

But then again, considering Dr. 46's politics, he probably won't correct you...oh well...

Rookies
05-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Point taken, D. :ThmbUp:

Hopefully, you stand equally with the rights of the Canadian flag being flown in this case: http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/article1000415.ece

Tom
05-24-2009, 07:53 PM
He was right to cut it. It has no business flying equal to old Glory.
In Canada, fly it wherever you like, and of course, ours takes a back set up there. But here, No tolerance.

It is the Canadians who should be showing respect in Florida, not the other way around, as we should respect Canada when WE are visitors. Give them a free round of golf if you feel the need to show respect.

Rookies
05-24-2009, 10:08 PM
He was right to cut it. It has no business flying equal to old Glory.
In Canada, fly it wherever you like, and of course, ours takes a back set up there. But here, No tolerance.

It is the Canadians who should be showing respect in Florida, not the other way around, as we should respect Canada when WE are visitors. Give them a free round of golf if you feel the need to show respect.

As usual, Tom is wrong this time, as he is normally.

According to the U.S. Flag Code, when flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate poles of the same height and the flags should be about the same size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace.

THAT is the rule of conduct. Of course, Tom believes HE is above any code/ law etc.

Nothing different here but his usual perverse takes ...

PaceAdvantage
05-24-2009, 10:36 PM
As usual, Tom is wrong this time, as he is normally.

According to the U.S. Flag Code, when flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate poles of the same height and the flags should be about the same size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace.

THAT is the rule of conduct. Of course, Tom believes HE is above any code/ law etc.

Nothing different here but his usual perverse takes ...I have a little question. Did Tom get personal with you in this thread? So why are you getting personal with him?

46zilzal
05-24-2009, 10:44 PM

What I described was

Tom
05-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Nothing different here but his usual perverse takes ...

Oh, get a life!

JustRalph
05-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Robin's Post reminds me so much of not what it means to be an American, but what it means not to be an American. He just doesn't get it when it comes to our flag. He has had no such reason to understand the importance of the U.S. Flag and how it is flown. Or why it is flown in the manner in which it is.

How do you think 20,000 Liberated Prisoners at the Concentration Camp at Buchenwald felt when they saw that flag enter the camp? What about those at other camps? Americans liberated Dora-Mittelbau, Flossenbürg, Dachau, and Mauthausen. How many discussions do you think they had while being held that started off with " When do you think the Americans will come?"

How do you think they felt in Berlin when that flag came flying over them in June of 48 during the Berlin Airlift (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Blockade) ? There were other flags......... but none with a more rich history of saving the world.

How do you think the Somali pirates feel when they see a U.S. Flag on a ship? I bet I know how they feel...............

To serve under that flag in the United States Military means something. I remember it was all pomp and circumstance until the first time I stood under that flag in a military uniform. You understand a little better then.

I feel sorry for Robin in a way..........he will never know............

The United States Flag means something. Whether you are saluting it in a parade or folding it on top of a coffin.....and I have done both.....nobody else has a flag that means as much and stands for a better cause..........it is not just a flag. It is a symbol for all that is American.

Here is a little note......... about the U.S. Flag.

I am the flag of the United States of America.
My name is Old Glory.
I fly atop the world's tallest buildings.
I stand watch in America's halls of justice.
I fly majestically over institutions of learning.
I stand guard with power in the world.
Look up and see me.

I stand for peace, honor, truth and justice.
I stand for freedom.
I am confident.
I am arrogant.
I am proud.

When I am flown with my fellow banners,
My head is a little higher,
My colors a little truer.

I bow to no one!
I am recognized all over the world.
I am worshipped - I am saluted.
I am loved - I am revered.
I am respected - and I am feared.

I have fought in every battle of every war
for more then 200 years.
I was flown at Valley Forge,
Gettysburg, Shiloh and Appomattox.

I was there at San Juan Hill,
the trenches of France,
in the Argonne Forest,
Anzio, Rome and the beaches of Normandy.
Guam, Okinawa, Korea and
KheSan, Saigon, Vietnam know me.
I was there.

I led my troops, I was dirty, battle worn and tired,
But my soldiers cheered me and I was proud.
I have been burned, torn and trampled on the
streets of countries I have helped set free.
It does not hurt for I am invincible.

I have been soiled upon, burned, torn and
trampled in the streets of my country.
And when it's done by those
Whom I've served in battle - it hurts.

But I shall overcome - for I am strong.
I have slipped the bonds of Earth
and stood watch over the uncharted
frontiers of space from my vantage point on the moon.

I have borne silent witness to all of America's finest hours.
But my finest hours are yet to come.
When I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,

When I am flown at half-mast to honor my soldier,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms of a grieving parent
at the grave of their fallen son or daughter,
I am proud. As an American.........you should be too

Tom
05-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Dittos.

46zilzal
05-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Rah rah WAR

Rah rah death and destruction .....just as long as it is someone else's back yard.

Warren Henry
05-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Rah rah WAR

Rah rah death and destruction .....just as long as it is someone else's back yard.

Just out of curiosity - Did you give up your US citizenship when you moved to Canada?

46zilzal
05-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Just out of curiosity - Did you give up your US citizenship when you moved to Canada?
no need to

Warren Henry
05-25-2009, 02:18 PM
no need to

I was questioning your convictions and wondering about your motivation.

If you left willingly and are free to come back I don't understand the bitterness that seems to permeate your posts.

46zilzal
05-25-2009, 02:20 PM

If you left willingly and are free to come back I don't understand the bitterness that seems to permeate your posts.
find something else to ponder it will be easier to figure out.

Keep thinking that war is some sort of football game and all it's players "heroes." rather than what they are.

Tom
05-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Some people just feed off of hate...46 appears to one of them.
No matter, to anyone with a life, he is of no consequence. Like the ant that walks into your picnic, he will go away. Your momentary disgust will fade.

Warren Henry
05-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Some people just feed off of hate...46 appears to one of them.

Hate and mistrust beget hate and mistrust.

I find it strange that one who is seemingly so opposed to "war" is so confrontational in his approach to others. There is no give and take. His opinion is the only one that is important.

This attitude is exactly what he seems to rant against.

But, as he himself has suggested, I will find something else to ponder - such as which of the speed horses might prevail etc.

46zilzal
05-25-2009, 03:09 PM
hate...don't know he emotion, but it is a handy pigeon hole answer to all things.

Simplistic label when something is not understood by others. Hardly new, Hardly surprising either.

PaceAdvantage
05-25-2009, 03:50 PM

If you left willingly and are free to come back I don't understand the bitterness that seems to permeate your posts.I believe there was a story bandied about here about 46 getting his ass kicked by a bunch of military guys when he was younger...or maybe I'm mistaken....

That might explain his bitterness...:lol:

46zilzal
05-25-2009, 04:31 PM
I believe there was a story bandied about here about 46 getting his ass kicked by a bunch of military guys when he was younger...or maybe I'm mistaken....

That might explain his bitterness...:lol:
you fellows know nothing so you make it up and then believe it. That was a fib made up by lsbets (who strangely never posts a thing about horse racing).

I have been, by actual count, in four fights and they were all one or two punch affairs as a dumb youth about the time I was a defensive tackle before orthopedic problems and common sense made me quit football. I never came out once on the short end of the stick.

boomman
05-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Robin's Post reminds me so much of not what it means to be an American, but what it means not to be an American. He just doesn't get it when it comes to our flag. He has had no such reason to understand the importance of the U.S. Flag and how it is flown. Or why it is flown in the manner in which it is.

How do you think 20,000 Liberated Prisoners at the Concentration Camp at Buchenwald felt when they saw that flag enter the camp? What about those at other camps? Americans liberated Dora-Mittelbau, Flossenbürg, Dachau, and Mauthausen. How many discussions do you think they had while being held that started off with " When do you think the Americans will come?"

How do you think they felt in Berlin when that flag came flying over them in June of 48 during the Berlin Airlift (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Blockade) ? There were other flags......... but none with a more rich history of saving the world.

How do you think the Somali pirates feel when they see a U.S. Flag on a ship? I bet I know how they feel...............

To serve under that flag in the United States Military means something. I remember it was all pomp and circumstance until the first time I stood under that flag in a military uniform. You understand a little better then.

I feel sorry for Robin in a way..........he will never know............

The United States Flag means something. Whether you are saluting it in a parade or folding it on top of a coffin.....and I have done both.....nobody else has a flag that means as much and stands for a better cause..........it is not just a flag. It is a symbol for all that is American.

Here is a little note......... about the U.S. Flag.

I am the flag of the United States of America.
My name is Old Glory.
I fly atop the world's tallest buildings.
I stand watch in America's halls of justice.
I fly majestically over institutions of learning.
I stand guard with power in the world.
Look up and see me.

I stand for peace, honor, truth and justice.
I stand for freedom.
I am confident.
I am arrogant.
I am proud.

When I am flown with my fellow banners,
My head is a little higher,
My colors a little truer.

I bow to no one!
I am recognized all over the world.
I am worshipped - I am saluted.
I am loved - I am revered.
I am respected - and I am feared.

I have fought in every battle of every war
for more then 200 years.
I was flown at Valley Forge,
Gettysburg, Shiloh and Appomattox.

I was there at San Juan Hill,
the trenches of France,
in the Argonne Forest,
Anzio, Rome and the beaches of Normandy.
Guam, Okinawa, Korea and
KheSan, Saigon, Vietnam know me.
I was there.

I led my troops, I was dirty, battle worn and tired,
But my soldiers cheered me and I was proud.
I have been burned, torn and trampled on the
streets of countries I have helped set free.
It does not hurt for I am invincible.

I have been soiled upon, burned, torn and
trampled in the streets of my country.
And when it's done by those
Whom I've served in battle - it hurts.

But I shall overcome - for I am strong.
I have slipped the bonds of Earth
and stood watch over the uncharted
frontiers of space from my vantage point on the moon.

I have borne silent witness to all of America's finest hours.
But my finest hours are yet to come.
When I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,

When I am flown at half-mast to honor my soldier,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms of a grieving parent
at the grave of their fallen son or daughter,
I am proud. As an American.........you should be too

Ralph: Thanks so much for posting this! As a proud veteran myself, our flag means everything to me and I still get tears in my eyes everytime I'm at an event where our national anthem is played. It is THE symbol of our indepedence and way of life! On this memorial day, my thoughts and prayers go out to the families of service men and women who gave their lives in defense of our country, and I encourage everyone to do as I do: When you see a service man or woman in uniform, PLEASE take a minute to thank them for their service. It means a lot to them that we are behind them and say so!:ThmbUp:

Boomer

cj's dad
05-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Hate and mistrust beget hate and mistrust.

I find it strange that one who is seemingly so opposed to "war" is so confrontational in his approach to others. There is no give and take. His opinion is the only one that is important.

This attitude is exactly what he seems to rant against.

But, as he himself has suggested, I will find something else to ponder - such as which of the speed horses might prevail etc.

You are fairly new here Warren, so you have not yet realized that ZZ46 knows all and has no need or willingness to discuss logically any topic- he is a VERY TYPICAL left wing. Insult and belittle is his and the lefts tactic.

46zilzal
05-25-2009, 06:28 PM
You are fairly new here Warren, so you have not yet realized that ZZ46 knows all and has no need or willingness to discuss logically any topic- he is a VERY TYPICAL left wing. Insult and belittle is his and the lefts tactic.
I realize where the son gets his personality, though I must admit that it is tempered only to the horse racing sections.

cj's dad
05-25-2009, 06:36 PM
I realize where the son gets his personality, though I must admit that it is tempered only to the horse racing sections.

You realize zero- probably why you live in Canada

Tom
05-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Temperature = IQ

Warren Henry
05-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks Dad,

While I am new to this venue, I am not new to the discussion. I probably don't know 46 personally, but I have had these discussions with many like him (even some relatives).

I engage in these debates not so much thinking I will change their opinion, but more to test my own thoughts and feelings. The debate and the research necessary for the debate sharpen my focus on the issues. Sometimes I find that I am actually wrong in what I believed. Very few of my opponents have ever even considered my side of the debate, consequently, they are never wrong :bang:

My intent in questioning 46 is to determine whether it is possible to carry on a civil debate on the issues where we differ. Knowing a person's background will sometimes help in knowing whether to continue the discourse.

I have a friend (a former fellow Marine) who is a Canadian Citizen. He joined the US Marines back during the Vietnam era. He was an honorable sort, but something happened in his family that caused him to lose his desire to continue on. I provided the money for his plane ticket and drove him to the airport when he deserted from the Marines and went back to Canada. Because I knew and understood the background in this case, I could continue to be a supportive friend even though I would normally detest a military deserter.

46 seems like an extreme case. I wondered if he deserved any special consideration.

Marshall Bennett
05-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Probably no more than he gets here . :)

PaceAdvantage
05-26-2009, 09:47 PM
you fellows know nothing so you make it up and then believe it. That was a fib made up by lsbets (who strangely never posts a thing about horse racing).My mistake then...I apologize.

However, I distinctly remember you talking about a military base nearby where you live...perhaps I ought to run a search and check for myself...

I believe there was something other than the Vietnam war that soured you on military types early on in your life.

Tom
05-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Don't forget the firemen next door.

46zilzal
05-27-2009, 11:49 AM
My mistake then...I apologize.

However, I distinctly remember you talking about a military base nearby where you live...perhaps I ought to run a search and check for myself...

I believe there was something other than the Vietnam war that soured you on military types early on in your life.
YES there was and I visited it often with friends but never ONCE had a run in with what I knew were "hair triggered" types.

My father was an expert on the US Cavalry and military types were always around the house telling me what to do. Out of respect for my father I just walked away.