PDA

View Full Version : the movie Yonkers Joe

AE1360
05-18-2009, 10:24 PM
I was wondering if anyone has seen Yonkers Joe? It comes out on DVD tomorrow, May 19th. I am friends with the production team and wanted to vouch for the movie's quality as an indie action drama. The production crew has been involved with the sports and horse-betting gambling world in Vegas for many years, and I'm sure you are all aware of Phil Ivey, the poker star, who also produced the movie.

The movie centers on Chazz Palminteri's character, Joe, who is a con man and dice hustler looking to make a big score. Most folks know Chazz from his film, A Bronx Tale, which is now making it's way around the country as a one-man theater play. The lead actress is Academy Award-winner Christine Lahti, who plays Chazz's squeeze.

The plot is made up of a mix of dramatic scenes involving the re-emergence of Joe's mentally challenged son, who has grown too old to live away from home, and a plethora of gambling scenarios, from betting harnesses at Yonkers to taking the Dodgers in the nightcap, to finding the perfect way to make fixed dice for the Vegas finale. All the horse scenes take place at Yonkers.

Unlike some of the recent gambling movies, such as 21, all of the gambling scenes and dice tricks are actually done and the DVD includes extras that shows how the moves were performed. I haven't previously seen this shown on other flicks.

Lefty
05-18-2009, 10:39 PM
I haven't heard of this movie, but it sounds interesting.

ezrabrooks
05-19-2009, 10:59 AM
I have seen the movie...and the lead up to the big fix is pretty interesting. The inclusion of the "mentally challenged son" was a little tense, but all in all I thought it was well done, and would recommend.

Ez

AE1360
05-19-2009, 11:49 AM
I have seen the movie...and the lead up to the big fix is pretty interesting. The inclusion of the "mentally challenged son" was a little tense, but all in all I thought it was well done, and would recommend.

Ez

Yeah it takes out some of the fun but adds to the story ;)