PDA

View Full Version : Hialeah Back from the Dead

point given
05-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Agreement in Talahassee for it. Horses,cards, slots Lease GP or Calder to run their race dates during the rebuild of Hialeah and llower tax on slots AND GP gets the OK for night racing

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/southflorida/story/1052237.html

Imriledup
05-17-2009, 10:55 PM
I think this place went out of business because they doubled their takeout rates. Anyone remember what those rates used to be?

point given
05-17-2009, 11:13 PM
I think this place went out of business because they doubled their takeout rates. Anyone remember what those rates used to be?
Wrong. Their takeout rates were very high, true, but not the reason for going out of business.

joanied
05-18-2009, 06:25 PM
I've been about half watching this story...thanks, Point Given for posting this news...fantastic...I hope nothing gets in the way of Hialeah opening again...this is wonderful news and I don't think any of this would be happening if Halsey Minor hadn't offered to buy the place...now we can actually look forward to getting back this gorgeous race track.
:)

point given
05-18-2009, 06:43 PM
I've been about half watching this story...thanks, Point Given for posting this news...fantastic...I hope nothing gets in the way of Hialeah opening again...this is wonderful news and I don't think any of this would be happening if Halsey Minor hadn't offered to buy the place...now we can actually look forward to getting back this gorgeous race track.

I donot think Halsey Minor had much to do with it. It is happening because of the recession . The artilcle said they got 45oo job apps on the rumor it might happen and the politicians went to work ( yeah an oxymoron ). Brunetti had nothing to do with it , it would seem that they kept him out of it as he is a devisive force, it happened in spite of him. They will have to do alot of work on the place and then build barns etc. But, what is hidden in there is that Stronach got in the OK for NIGHT racing at Gulfstream,which is what he was wanting . That will really change things up dontcha think.

pktruckdriver
05-18-2009, 06:47 PM
sign me up

night racing in south florida

all i need is a condo

patrick

Imriledup
05-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Wrong. Their takeout rates were very high, true, but not the reason for going out of business.

I remember when the takeout rates went up, people just stopped betting.

I guess it was just a coincidence that they went belly up the minute they doubled their takeout rates?

point given
05-18-2009, 06:59 PM

I guess it was just a coincidence that they went belly up the minute they doubled their takeout rates?

The rates on exotics was around 25-30 %. What happened is that the state took away the racing dates for Hialeah and gave them to Gulfstream and Calder, so they closed up shop.

cj
05-18-2009, 07:01 PM

They were in trouble already, and foolishly thought the takeout raise might help. The demise of Hialeah, to my memory, had to do with fighting over the dates in South Florida. Hialeah lost out to Calder and Gulfstream, that was the beginning. Maybe somebody remembers more details.

Imriledup
05-18-2009, 07:41 PM
They were in trouble already, and foolishly thought the takeout raise might help. The demise of Hialeah, to my memory, had to do with fighting over the dates in South Florida. Hialeah lost out to Calder and Gulfstream, that was the beginning. Maybe somebody remembers more details.

Lets hope the new regime puts the horseplayer FIRST.

Track Collector
05-18-2009, 08:47 PM

At one time racing dates in FL were regulated, with Hialeah receiving specific (prime) racing days without fear of competition. De-regulation eliminated their "protected" dates, forcing them to compete with Gulfstream Park. Their very high takeouts and an owner who had a way of making enemies with horsemen and other key racing people quickened their demise.

I was lucky enough to attend Hia for the first time during their last year of racing. What a beautiful track with the flamingos and hedged turf course!

parlay
05-18-2009, 09:01 PM
has a post of videos retracing the history of Hialeah.

joanied
05-18-2009, 09:08 PM
I donot think Halsey Minor had much to do with it. It is happening because of the recession . The artilcle said they got 45oo job apps on the rumor it might happen and the politicians went to work ( yeah an oxymoron ). Brunetti had nothing to do with it , it would seem that they kept him out of it as he is a devisive force, it happened in spite of him. They will have to do alot of work on the place and then build barns etc. But, what is hidden in there is that Stronach got in the OK for NIGHT racing at Gulfstream,which is what he was wanting . That will really change things up dontcha think.

OK...but maybe having Minopr down there trying to buy it woke up the sleeping giant...as you mention, PG...once the word (rumors) got out, everyone and their grandpa were filling out employment forms...if Minor hadn't done what he did, I'd bet Hialeah would still be a forgotten jewel.
Amazing that something like this got the politicians off their fat asses and actually went to work (oxymoron, no doubt:D )...and let me give a hand to Frankie boy...I guess that's one good thing he got done:eek: .
Do you think Brunetti would try and put a stop to this? Geeze, I hope not.

And who will get the re building done...I don't suppose the city, county or state has the money...wouldn't it have to be Brunetti paying the way?

I hope this happens...when we went down there from NY during the winter it was like going to Heaven...

the4horse
05-18-2009, 09:29 PM
23% WPS

sandpit
05-18-2009, 10:00 PM
At one time racing dates in FL were regulated, with Hialeah receiving specific (prime) racing days without fear of competition. De-regulation eliminated their "protected" dates, forcing them to compete with Gulfstream Park. Their very high takeouts and an owner who had a way of making enemies with horsemen and other key racing people quickened their demise.

I was lucky enough to attend Hia for the first time during their last year of racing. What a beautiful track with the flamingos and hedged turf course!

Ironically, the Hialeah flamingos are now in the infield lake at Hollywood Park, another track that is on the chopping block. Wouldn't it be strange if the birds wound up back at their old wading grounds?

Imriledup
05-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Ironically, the Hialeah flamingos are now in the infield lake at Hollywood Park, another track that is on the chopping block. Wouldn't it be strange if the birds wound up back at their old wading grounds?

So the Flamingo's at HP are the actual same ones from Hialeah? Wow, they must be old.

onefast99
05-19-2009, 08:44 AM
JB had a lot to do with it, he was instrumental in getting this off the ground don't sell him short. Minor may have put some thoughts into John's head other then that he isn't involved.

RichieP
05-19-2009, 08:49 AM
So the Flamingo's at HP are the actual same ones from Hialeah? Wow, they must be old.

I had a bluebird who flew up from the South to visit me last year. He (she?) was reported to be well over 15 decades old.

Very often truth is stranger than fiction:)

cj
05-19-2009, 11:32 AM
23% WPS

As I said, this was not the takeout in the tracks good years. They were competitive with everyone else until they lost the prime dates. The writing was on the wall, and the HUGE takeouts put an end to the track.

BlueShoe
05-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Tropical Park had the early dates,Hialeah the coveted middle dates,and Gulfstream the late dates.Cheaper horses went to Sunshine Park in Tampa.Florida racing thrived and prospered under this formula for decades.

CryingForTheHorses
05-19-2009, 03:19 PM

Night Racing????...Thats news to all of us...Tell me your source of info??..

point given
05-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Night Racing????...Thats news to all of us...Tell me your source of info??..

From the linked miami herald article that I summerized from in my initial post here , the bottom of page one.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/southflorida/story/1052237.html
"When it was over, Gulfstream racetrack got night racing, the House speaker got a quarter-horse track in his hometown and the tiny black town of Gretna got a new employer -- a quarter-horse track and card room. "

joanied
05-19-2009, 05:42 PM
JB had a lot to do with it, he was instrumental in getting this off the ground don't sell him short. Minor may have put some thoughts into John's head other then that he isn't involved.

I don't care who gets the credit...it just makes me happy to know that it's now looking like Hialeah is gonna breath life again:ThmbUp:
if Gulfstream stays open (despite Stronach's being bankrupt)...IMO, night racing would be ideal for down there at Gulfstream...and the younger crowd would love that.

One reason Hialeah lost the premier dates was the opening of Calder...I remember when they were building that thing, and everyone stabled at Hialeah knew it was going to be the beginning of the end...
another thing is the surrounding neighborhood...which we discussed when Minor first made his bid to buy Hialeah...but, if all that's happening now comes to be, I suppose that means they aren't concerned with the area around Hialeah.
I remember the last year we stabled at Hialeah...finding a place to live had been getting a little difficult the couple of years before...but that last winter was a be-itch...we couldn't find a place to live...everything was taken over by the Cuban population...motels, apartments, gas stations, bars, little grocery stores...we finally found an apartment in Dania...in fact, right across from the Dania Hai-Lai (spelling?) place....kind of a bummer being that far from the track when ya have to be there by 5am....ggggrrr!!

Oh.....Flamingo's live to be 100 ;) :D :liar: ;)

ENT222
05-19-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm all in favor if night racing however that neighborhood is not good, atleast from my perspective. Where is Stronach getting the funds to install the lighing needed. Isn't he broke, filed for bankruptcy? Night racing is a big attraction, where are you fitting all those in attendance because the place is small.

onefast99
05-19-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't care who gets the credit...it just makes me happy to know that it's now looking like Hialeah is gonna breath life again:ThmbUp:
if Gulfstream stays open (despite Stronach's being bankrupt)...IMO, night racing would be ideal for down there at Gulfstream...and the younger crowd would love that.

One reason Hialeah lost the premier dates was the opening of Calder...I remember when they were building that thing, and everyone stabled at Hialeah knew it was going to be the beginning of the end...
another thing is the surrounding neighborhood...which we discussed when Minor first made his bid to buy Hialeah...but, if all that's happening now comes to be, I suppose that means they aren't concerned with the area around Hialeah.
I remember the last year we stabled at Hialeah...finding a place to live had been getting a little difficult the couple of years before...but that last winter was a be-itch...we couldn't find a place to live...everything was taken over by the Cuban population...motels, apartments, gas stations, bars, little grocery stores...we finally found an apartment in Dania...in fact, right across from the Dania Hai-Lai (spelling?) place....kind of a bummer being that far from the track when ya have to be there by 5am....ggggrrr!!

Oh.....Flamingo's live to be 100 ;) :D :liar: ;)
Dania Jai-alai use to be the hot spot in town. That was when Joey was the top player and Juaristi and Elorza were quite the team. Elorza would climb the wall as the backcourt player and end up firing a chula off the front wall and Juaristi would employ his dos paredes or two wall kill shot. Great game! Back to racing...GP will be fine with or without FS running the show.

onefast99
05-19-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm all in favor if night racing however that neighborhood is not good, atleast from my perspective. Where is Stronach getting the funds to install the lighing needed. Isn't he broke, filed for bankruptcy? Night racing is a big attraction, where are you fitting all those in attendance because the place is small.
Aventura backs up to the mall which is very nice and GP added a bunch of stores and restaurants where the valet parking once was. Plenty of room for night racing sounds like a great idea. Also the purses will be increased next year and it looks as if they will run from January thru April again.

Imriledup
05-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Anyone making plans already to go to Hia opening day?

point given
05-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Aventura backs up to the mall which is very nice and GP added a bunch of stores and restaurants where the valet parking once was. Plenty of room for night racing sounds like a great idea. Also the purses will be increased next year and it looks as if they will run from January thru April again.
He will lose the old fart and blue haired lady set who don't drive at night for the Avon ladies and johnnies . Trainers won't be the only ones giving a leg up.;)

onefast99
05-19-2009, 09:19 PM
He will lose the old fart and blue haired lady set who don't drive at night for the Avon ladies and johnnies . Trainers won't be the only ones giving a leg up.;)
Just offer an early bird diner menu and you have them eating out of the palm of your hand!

point given
05-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Just offer an early bird diner menu and you have them eating out of the palm of your hand!
Frankie wants upscale not early bird,south beach not century village.

BeatTheChalk
05-19-2009, 09:51 PM

The Fountainbleu please or if they are filled ..The Eden Roc :lol:

joanied
05-20-2009, 01:57 PM

True....young and up scale is the name of the game. But...he could have a senior night at the races once a week or so...offer that dinner special and a couple of other incentives...and he'll get the older folks too...and after a great evening of dinner, bets and watching the races...maybe they'll tell their grandkids they should spend a day/night at GP!!!

joanied
05-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Dania Jai-alai use to be the hot spot in town. That was when Joey was the top player and Juaristi and Elorza were quite the team. Elorza would climb the wall as the backcourt player and end up firing a chula off the front wall and Juaristi would employ his dos paredes or two wall kill shot. Great game! Back to racing...GP will be fine with or without FS running the show.

onefast...thanks for not correcting my spelling:) ....I never went to Jai-alia...but can sure remember a full up parking lot over there...I wonder if that place is still there?

But, Dania was just a little too far from Hialeah to have to get a place there....hell, the year before, we were able to rent a place 5 minutes form the track!!

onefast99
05-20-2009, 03:49 PM
onefast...thanks for not correcting my spelling:) ....I never went to Jai-alia...but can sure remember a full up parking lot over there...I wonder if that place is still there?

But, Dania was just a little too far from Hialeah to have to get a place there....hell, the year before, we were able to rent a place 5 minutes form the track!!
Dania jai-alai is still there, they have a decent website if you want to check them out. www.betdania.com (http://www.betdania.com)

joanied
05-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Dania jai-alai is still there, they have a decent website if you want to check them out. www.betdania.com (http://www.betdania.com)

Thanks, onefast...that was kinda fun...and that's the place all right...I think it's been fixed up since the dark ages:D I don't remember it being that big...makes me wonder if the apartment complex I rented from is still there...bet not!!

onefast99
05-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks, onefast...that was kinda fun...and that's the place all right...I think it's been fixed up since the dark ages:D I don't remember it being that big...makes me wonder if the apartment complex I rented from is still there...bet not!!
They have a simulcast area and a poker room. The crowds for jai alai have really thinned out. Back in the mid to late 80's the place was packed for both the matinee and the evening performances. Many feel that jai alai is one game that is fixed.

joanied
05-21-2009, 12:13 PM
They have a simulcast area and a poker room. The crowds for jai alai have really thinned out. Back in the mid to late 80's the place was packed for both the matinee and the evening performances. Many feel that jai alai is one game that is fixed.

I guess this would be a game that could easily be fixed...but, IMO, it's a shame that it seems (to me) that the American public have become cynical to a fault...but, that's another conversation:)