PDA

View Full Version : If you could move to be next to any Circuit, what would it be and why?

pktruckdriver
05-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Let me say you loved So Cal, where would you relocate to to be near there and be able to go to the track and become part of the scene there. As So Cal has many different tracks which would you focus on Santa Anita?

Then you have New York, now Belmont and Aqueduct, seem to be both in NYC, am I right, and then Saratoga up state, then back to the City, so finding a place within the city close to which track Aqudeuct or Belmont, and why, which would be nicer, safer and more affordable?

Then South Florida, it seems the easiest of all, as There is 2 tracks GP and Calder, both within 20 miles of each other I think, so where would you relocate down there to be a regular at which track and why, does one have better facilties, better service, what would make you feel more inclined to go to one over the other????

Then you have the Mountaineer and Philly and Penn National, single track Curcuits, but what do they offer that would intice one to move there and become a local ICON, as I am sure I would become, maybe....

Then Louisiana and Texas, and also the Northwest with Portland and Seattle switching thru out the year a Circuit, and Seattle is a Great city to live in, Chicken Terrayaki and Coffee merchants on every other corner, very nice, but economy hits this area pretty hard too, and cost of living is very very high, even still, too bad.

Well let me know where you would reloacte to play and why, what was it that made you move there, as I am still looking for that place, from Iowa to Florida and back to Washington and over to NY , ther are plenty of places to think about , hoepfully y'all can help me decide and provide me with maybe local knowledge that other may not know, as within a year or so I plan to relocate somewhere reasonable, and yes cost of living will matter, unless I can also find easily enough employment to handle it, the cost of living , that is, so let it roll

thanks
patrick

Dave Schwartz
05-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Welcome to the web-based world of horse racing.

IMHO, the issues are:

1. The state must be "bettor-friendly" to online horse wagering.

2. The state should have a favorable taxation system.

ManeMediaMogul
05-17-2009, 05:21 PM
I absolutely love Fair Grounds. They have the best winter racing by 31 lengths and the city is an amazing place to hang out.

My circuit would be Fair Grounds -Keeneland Spring - Triple Crown - Del Mar and then Keeneland Fall...guess I would like to be John Glenney!

kenwoodallpromos
05-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Weather I like best, and I could be live at the tracks that are toughest for me to handicap! I could learn!

matthewsiv
05-17-2009, 07:10 PM
I guess that you should look at the New York circuit and you can travel to New Jersey,Philadelphia and Maryland.

Otherwise there is Kentucky,Louisville for Churchill Downs and Lexington (One of my favourite places) for Keenland and within an hour of Churchill Downs.

Florida all year around is a waste of time.Quality of racing at Calder is going down hill and you could still come down for the winter.

But you might prefer Fair grounds.

Tom
05-17-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm 20 feet from every track in the country right now.
In my computer room.

Why oh why would I want to go to a track and be abused by cheap help and risk stepping in something?????

Besides, this way, when any track sucks (generally half of them any given day) I play another one. Track loyalty is for the clerks.

If the only way I could play was to go to the track, I would not play.

toussaud
05-17-2009, 07:37 PM
socal baby... followed closely by Lexington/louisville

cj's dad
05-17-2009, 07:42 PM
socal baby... followed closely by Lexington/louisville

I understand Santa Anita and Delmar's short meet but Hollywodd and its' 5-6 horse fields - NAH !!!!!!

If I had the $$$, it would be Keeneland then Oaklawn then Keeneland with a touch of Mountaineer now and then.

toussaud
05-17-2009, 07:46 PM
I understand Santa Anita and Delmar's short meet but Hollywodd and its' 5-6 horse fields - NAH !!!!!!

If I had the $$$, it would be Keeneland then Oaklawn then Keeneland with a touch of Mountaineer now and then.
actually if I had the money, I'd do

Santa Anita from janurary to march

Keeneland meet

than Churchill meet

than Del Mar meet

Than Belmont meet until breeders cup

than whever is the warmest for the rest of the year

JustRalph
05-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Lexington is a nice town..............ten minutes from Keeneland. 1.5 hours from Louisville........two hours to Cincy?

How can you top that?

shoelessjoe
05-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Dont know why you would want to come to Maryland for racing it's awful here.Your better off coming for the hard shell crabs but even those have gone downhill size wise.

cj's dad
05-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Dont know why you would want to come to Maryland for racing it's awful here.Your better off coming for the hard shell crabs but even those have gone downhill size wise.

I don't know where you're getting yours but I think they are better than ever.

Head down to the Wye River area and get back to me !!

shoelessjoe
05-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Last few years I was so disgusted by the size I started going to a place in Jessup Md where they get jumbos from Louisiana or Texas

MAGICHORSEMAN
05-17-2009, 11:53 PM
You can live here real cheaply. You can actually rent for $300 -an apartment with all utilites paid. Cheap taxes and free admission to the races and races year round. Very nice bands on weekends also free. live just 3 to 5 miles from the track. Only a half days drive to half of the country's tracks- churchill, arlington, n y tracks, Penn National, Colonial, Philly, Michigan, River,Tnd, Beulah, Turfway, Keenland, Presque downs.

So a very nice place to live. But the real thing that counts is the people.

The only bad thing about the local track is there is no contest for vegas or no 10 cent supers allowed to be bet from the facility for any track in the country. So you have to phone those in with a betting account.

Overall not too bad and cheap rent here.

fmolf
05-18-2009, 12:06 AM
if you prefer live racing as i do as opposed to simulcast centers live on long island.....here are the tracks i can drive to if i want.......aqueduct.1/2 hr...belmont 10 mins...monmouth 1-1/2 hrs..delaware 3hrs 15 mins....laurel 4 hrs....pimlico..4 hrs....suffolk downs..4 hrs...saratoga 5 hrs..finger lakes 5 1/2 hrs....meadowlands 1 hr....philly park 3 1/2 hrs...penn national 3 hrs and yonkers 45 mins...i am on the nassau suffolk border in massapequa park...15 mins from the beach and a one hour train ride to manhattan....good luck wherever you go.....

FUGITIVE77
05-18-2009, 03:00 AM
TAMPA BAY DOWNS, according to all sources the hit rate on women at the track was 40/60% win/place, of course that was in the 80s when we were all much younger.

bitter
05-18-2009, 07:02 AM
if i had to choose 1 meet for a year around, it would be the LA circuit. Food, weather, and fields, all grade A

if i was a roamer

LA/Gulfstream
keenland
churchill
belmont
LA

miesque
05-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Just a reminder that from a cost of living perspective (which I believe was one of the elements in Patrick's question) Southern California and the greater NYC Metro area are pretty much the highest in the nation and almost everywhere else is affordable in contrast. If you want a low cost of living you head to the Midwest and the Plains regions of the country. Lexington is a wonderful affordable location with obviously an emphasis on horses and racing. There are also diametric difference in philsophies, temperments and lifestyles throughout the country which also need to be taken into account. For example, I think Southern California is a lovely place to visit, I always have a fabulous time at the SoCal tracks and I am jealous of those who live close to tracks such as Del Mar and San Diego they don't realize just how spoiled they are having so many gorgeous tracks in the region. However, as much as I enjoy visiting I could never live there as I will never be confused for a Valley Girl, Orange Country Housewife, etc and the whole area has a diametrically different outlook and attitude then I have.

fmolf
05-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Just a reminder that from a cost of living perspective (which I believe was one of the elements in Patrick's question) Southern California and the greater NYC Metro area are pretty much the highest in the nation and almost everywhere else is affordable in contrast. If you want a low cost of living you head to the Midwest and the Plains regions of the country. Lexington is a wonderful affordable location with obviously an emphasis on horses and racing. There are also diametric difference in philsophies, temperments and lifestyles throughout the country which also need to be taken into account. For example, I think Southern California is a lovely place to visit, I always have a fabulous time at the SoCal tracks and I am jealous of those who live close to tracks such as Del Mar and San Diego they don't realize just how spoiled they are having so many gorgeous tracks in the region. However, as much as I enjoy visiting I could never live there as I will never be confused for a Valley Girl, Orange Country Housewife, etc and the whole area has a diametrically different outlook and attitude then I have.
i do suppose everything is relative...i have been born and raised here so i am partial i guess...the cost of living is high as well as rents and car insurance ...but we just live with it...take out is still one of the lowest in the country so that is a plus i have seen racing quality go down hill a bit in the last few years...very gradually, but expect that to change when the aqueduct slots are in place..the larger purses should bring the horses back...mountaineer does sound like the ideal spot...as i am sure their are places to fish and lakes to visit nearby....oh and ddi i mention lots of single divorcees!

pktruckdriver
05-18-2009, 10:27 AM
You can live here real cheaply. You can actually rent for $300 -an apartment with all utilites paid. Cheap taxes and free admission to the races and races year round. Very nice bands on weekends also free. live just 3 to 5 miles from the track. Only a half days drive to half of the country's tracks- churchill, arlington, n y tracks, Penn National, Colonial, Philly, Michigan, River,Tnd, Beulah, Turfway, Keenland, Presque downs.

So a very nice place to live. But the real thing that counts is the people.

The only bad thing about the local track is there is no contest for vegas or no 10 cent supers allowed to be bet from the facility for any track in the country. So you have to phone those in with a betting account.

Overall not too bad and cheap rent here.

MagicHorseman

You seem to get the post very well, as others were somewhat confused, you see I live out of my truck now, yes that is right, in my Semi-truck, with double bunks , Micro and Fridge, Tv/DVD before it was sold, Satellite too, yes it was sold too.

I am looking for a place to get out the truck, or at least call home, And Mtr at 300.00 a month is very reasonable as compared to about 1500.00 a month without utilities in NYC near Belmont, as it would be nice to live for a year or so in NYC, with almost year round racing, only with the Spa break, am I right?

Then The Fairgrounds is in New Orleans, once a somewhat wild city, not that I mind that, but what could i do there, and the cost of living, too, and only 90 days of racing.

Now South Florida has all year racing at 2 tracks, but again cost of living may be too much, but is the dream place for me, and I do dream of South Florida, and house on the Intercostal, minutes from Gulfstream Racetrack and the water current called The Gulfstream, a fishermans paradise, ask any who go there.

A cheap/affordable condo or townhome, maybe a fixer upper near a track, or a nice apt. with most uitlities included, that is what i am looking for, if it is out there, so far Chester ,WV is looking good and I will look futher into it, though my Heart is in South Florida.

Yes todays age of computers allows one to live almost anywhere, but I think I would love to be treackside, if possible and year round too ,if possible..

Thank you all for the responses I will consider them all, but may need more to go on, as visiting many of these tracks I already do ,as some have seen my traveling post I had here, and I liked alot of them and few I did not.

Thanks
Patrick

miesque
05-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Hey Patrick,

Since you are in the trucking business you may want to take a look and see whats available in the greater Harrisburg, especially to the East where Penn National is located since its right smack off I-81 and thats such a major trucking road (and the PA Turnpike runs to the immediate South of that area) and I know there is a lot of affordable property on the I-81 stretch through PA.

arno
05-18-2009, 10:50 AM
I live within 5 miles of Monmouth Park.

I will retire next April and buy a winter home near Tampa.

Dec to April live in Tampa and attend Tampa Bay Downs.
May to Sept attend Monmouth Park as I presently do.
Oct and Nov relax and attend Breeder's Cup wherever it might be.

I sure will be seeing lots of Daniel Centeno

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Patrick,

I think you're focused on the right things now, finding an affordable place to live and perhaps getting into a different line of work. As you look for a place to settle down, research the hell out of the local economy. For example, I'd assume Chester, WV, is very reliant on MNR for jobs. So what could happen to MNR? Competition from slots in Ohio eventually? More slot competition in PA? Are there other major employeers in the area? Where's the unemployment rate? I'd take the time to learn these thing ahead of time, so you aren't surprised by anything in the future and forced to move.

If you want the best live racing in the world, but only for six weeks/yr, and can live with simulcasting for the balance of the yr, you should look into the Saratoga area. If you go about 15 minutes north of Saratoga, a one-bedroom apartment runs $500 to $600/month. Of course I don't think the economy is particularily great in the area, but I haven't looked at the stats lately. Best of luck to you.

MAGICHORSEMAN
05-18-2009, 12:54 PM
This area is not dependent on Mountaineer although it is the county's largest employer. We have a big coal to energy plant moving in almost right across the river from Mountaineer in the next few years. We have lots of other jobs and industries in the area. Some drive to Pittsburgh area. Some drive just 25 miles to the Pittsburgh airport and there are tons of jobs in and around the airport. Some just deal cards a few days a week to pay the rent. My father has a 3 bedroom house for rent for just $300 plus utilites. Our local lodge hall has apartments for just $200 .

The local track has table games and the other gambling places nearby do not have table games- only slots. So the track looks good to have a solid attendance of gamblers.

The people in this area do not know of a friend of a friend who has been forclosed on a house. It seemingly does not happen here. It is unheard of...

It has been real nice to have the year round racing but the last year has been heard on the local fans to have many trainers die in the last 18 months. We have had several including Dale Baird. There is a void in racing at Mountaineer right now.

macguy
05-18-2009, 03:35 PM
A 3 bedroom house for $300+utilities? Damn. :cool:

...well I suppose a guy can dream.

uncbossfan
05-18-2009, 07:07 PM
I can't complan living in northern KY.

5 minutes from River Downs - not great live racing, but nice to hang out on a summer afterrnoon and bet simulcast at the Tiki Bar!

10 minutes from Turfway - A decent Derby Prep, and the fall championship series has been attracting some decent Breeders cup runners over the past couple yrs.

80 minutes from Keeneland - enough said
90 minutes from CD
90 minutes from Indiana Downs

windstone
05-18-2009, 08:03 PM
if it weren't for my kids and grand kids i would move to hot springs, ark in a heart beat, home of Oaklawn of course. nice little town, five beautiful lakes within 20 minutes of the track. wonderful and deverse places to eat from the pancake shop, which opens for breakfast only, rare in this day and time, to coy's steak house, a hot springs land mark. racing season is great, where folks actually bet more and watch the races at hand than simulcast. food and drinks are very reasonable especially there corn beef sanwich. i love em. and you will see as many attractive ladies there than anywhere in the country. just my .02 take.

startngate
05-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey Patrick,

Since you are in the trucking business you may want to take a look and see whats available in the greater Harrisburg, especially to the East where Penn National is located since its right smack off I-81 and thats such a major trucking road (and the PA Turnpike runs to the immediate South of that area) and I know there is a lot of affordable property on the I-81 stretch through PA.Having once lived in the Harrisburg area I can honestly say it was my least favorite place to call home of the 15 or so cities I have lived in.

If the goal is a place to settle down year-round with live racing options and without breaking the bank, then the Cincinnati, Louisville, Lexington triangle is the best spot to be IMO. I have lived in both Cincy and Lexington and both were great towns in different ways. Keeneland, Churchill, Turfway, River Downs, Indiana Downs, Hoosier, Kentucky Downs and Beulah Park are all pretty much day trips.

I am more of a big city guy, so I liked Cincy better, but to each his own. Lexington was a little quieter without as much to do. R&L Trucking has a huge campus just north of Cincy if that's a factor for the OP.

If you like Florida, then I would recommend Tampa over Miami. The gulf side of the State is a little cheaper from a cost of living standpoint, and it's only about 4 hours to Gulfstream/Calder. Best of all, there is no State income tax in Florida ... :)

MAGICHORSEMAN
05-18-2009, 09:51 PM
We also have the O S Hill trucking and big rig servicing company just 4 or 5 miles away in Calcutta Ohio. Then there is a really big 18 wheeler junk yard just 20 miles away in West Point Ohio which is just south of Lisbon Ohio. Chester has 4 lane highway rt. 11 that goes straight north. Route 7 ( 4 lanes) goes straight south in Ohio. Route 30 (2 and 3 lanes goes east and west) but they are going to work on it to make it straighter and better. Just 25 miles from the Pittsburgh airport.

Another plus is the Ohio river- it is a super great way to relax and have fun and zero miles away! We have an island just straight out from Chester that many go out to have fun.

We have Beaver Creek state park just 10 miles away and Tomlinson Run just 8 miles away. We have a nice little park in Chester and Newell. Newell is between Chester and the racetrack. The Newell location has a newly installed hiking trail and an area to investigate that once housed a zoo in the 1920. It is interesting to get inside the polar bears den and wonder how the place might have looked in the 1920's.

Newell also has the Worlds biggest Pottery at Home Laughlin. They sell Fiesta ware (colored dishes) which can be an addicting hobby just like betting on horses is to others.

We have two small airports just 5 miles away if you want to take lessons like my friend Robert is doing right now.

pktruckdriver
08-30-2009, 02:28 AM
Let me say you loved So Cal, where would you relocate to to be near there and be able to go to the track and become part of the scene there. As So Cal has many different tracks which would you focus on Santa Anita?

Then you have New York, now Belmont and Aqueduct, seem to be both in NYC, am I right, and then Saratoga up state, then back to the City, so finding a place within the city close to which track Aqudeuct or Belmont, and why, which would be nicer, safer and more affordable?

Then South Florida, it seems the easiest of all, as There is 2 tracks GP and Calder, both within 20 miles of each other I think, so where would you relocate down there to be a regular at which track and why, does one have better facilties, better service, what would make you feel more inclined to go to one over the other????

Then you have the Mountaineer and Philly and Penn National, single track Curcuits, but what do they offer that would intice one to move there and become a local ICON, as I am sure I would become, maybe....

Then Louisiana and Texas, and also the Northwest with Portland and Seattle switching thru out the year a Circuit, and Seattle is a Great city to live in, Chicken Terrayaki and Coffee merchants on every other corner, very nice, but economy hits this area pretty hard too, and cost of living is very very high, even still, too bad.

Well let me know where you would reloacte to play and why, what was it that made you move there, as I am still looking for that place, from Iowa to Florida and back to Washington and over to NY , ther are plenty of places to think about , hoepfully y'all can help me decide and provide me with maybe local knowledge that other may not know, as within a year or so I plan to relocate somewhere reasonable, and yes cost of living will matter, unless I can also find easily enough employment to handle it, the cost of living , that is, so let it roll

thanks
patrick

I thought I would bring this back as I have not yet settled on a place yet and could use some more help, especially since the economy tanked since this 1st came out.

Looking for a place to like Semi-Retire, and not have the cost of living be too much, which may knock out NYC, but yet be a place where a part-time job or business could still done, to help with expenses, as we all know horse playing aould never support me, ( my wishful thinking won't change that), so planning ahead is needed.

Okay let me know, thanks

patrick

Imriledup
08-30-2009, 02:41 AM
Mountaineer would be great.

WinterTriangle
08-30-2009, 03:24 AM
PT, just wanna say, this is a fantastic question! And leads to a very interesting discussion. Thank you! Can't wait to read everyone's responses.

Although not the lap of luxury, I feel grateful to be near Oaklawn, we see all the great ones run here, Rachel, Curlin, Smarty Jones, Afleet Alex, Lawyer Ron, etc. because we are one of the last races *before* the TC and it's a classic dirt track.

And it's not fancy, expensive, or complicated, but still has a very small-town feel even when the big races are running.

Bad thing, the meet is only 53 or so days long.

If you love nature, and are somewhat self sufficient (dont need bright lights big city) Arkansas is fulll up with National forests, forest streams and waterfalls, gorgeous mountain ranges, fishing/hiking/hunting, bird watching, etc. (insects and snakes, too!), diamond and quartz mines (dig your own), lakes, etc.. You can have a few horses, too, land is cheap and it's very cheap to live here.

WinterTriangle
08-30-2009, 03:52 AM
if it weren't for my kids and grand kids i would move to hot springs, ark in a heart beat, home of Oaklawn of course. nice little town, five beautiful lakes within 20 minutes of the track. wonderful and deverse places to eat from the pancake shop, which opens for breakfast only, rare in this day and time, to coy's steak house, a hot springs land mark. racing season is great, where folks actually bet more and watch the races at hand than simulcast. food and drinks are very reasonable especially there corn beef sanwich. i love em. and you will see as many attractive ladies there than anywhere in the country. just my .02 take.

January 16, Hot Springs' Coy's Steakhouse was destroyed in an early morning fire!!!! ON THE NIGHT before live racing opened for the season. I'm talking burned right down to the ground. I dunno if they rebuilt it or not yet?

thank you. Patrick, it's CHEAP here. Hot Springs is a good deal south of the "Walmart Corporation" epi-center, but if you were going to continue driving, there's them, and also JBHunt and all the big Tyson outfits in Arkansas.

I don't like to talk it up, for fear people will move here. LOL I live quite a ways from the track, but I have what many people *say* they want.....as a single gal with few assets: ditched my mortgage in CT, built my own cabin in the woods on 10 acres, have to drive to nearest neighbor, can walk around nekkid, and no mortgage!!!. I could never have done that most anywhere else. I have deer and all that wildlife to look at, a spring-fed creek to swim in less than 3 miles away with waterfalls, etc. A far far cry from my life in Connecticut!!!! Paradise. :)

If I moved, I thinkgI would like Louisville, KY. No Cali for me, not into the highways/driving. NY is way too expensive and crowded. Other place, like you say, Florida. I've fished both coasts of Florida multiple times, and pretty much the entire Intercoastal Waterways from So. Fl., Geogia, South Carolina and up to North Carolina!

Bruddah
08-30-2009, 04:38 AM
MagicHorseman

You seem to get the post very well, as others were somewhat confused, you see I live out of my truck now, yes that is right, in my Semi-truck, with double bunks , Micro and Fridge, Tv/DVD before it was sold, Satellite too, yes it was sold too.

I am looking for a place to get out the truck, or at least call home, And Mtr at 300.00 a month is very reasonable as compared to about 1500.00 a month without utilities in NYC near Belmont, as it would be nice to live for a year or so in NYC, with almost year round racing, only with the Spa break, am I right?

Then The Fairgrounds is in New Orleans, once a somewhat wild city, not that I mind that, but what could i do there, and the cost of living, too, and only 90 days of racing.

Now South Florida has all year racing at 2 tracks, but again cost of living may be too much, but is the dream place for me, and I do dream of South Florida, and house on the Intercostal, minutes from Gulfstream Racetrack and the water current called The Gulfstream, a fishermans paradise, ask any who go there.

A cheap/affordable condo or townhome, maybe a fixer upper near a track, or a nice apt. with most uitlities included, that is what i am looking for, if it is out there, so far Chester ,WV is looking good and I will look futher into it, though my Heart is in South Florida.

Yes todays age of computers allows one to live almost anywhere, but I think I would love to be treackside, if possible and year round too ,if possible..

Thank you all for the responses I will consider them all, but may need more to go on, as visiting many of these tracks I already do ,as some have seen my traveling post I had here, and I liked alot of them and few I did not.

Thanks
Patrick

Patrick, All of your preferences and cost requirements are available at Oaklawn in Hot Springs Ar. Additionally, if you're still wanting to remain in the trucking business, Arkansas has more Trucking companies (job opportunities), with both large and small trucking companies than 95% of the country. Living is very affordable and the people are just plain FOLKS, yet all the of the Big City amenities are available.

Oaklawn has the premier meet for 3 yo's, early in the year, leading up to the Triple Crown. They have great racing with top horses, like Zenyatta, Curlin, Rachel A., Summer Bird and many others racing at the Oaklawn Oval. There is a reason why horsemen refer to Oaklawn as the Saratoga of the South. A great compliment to the quality of racing in my estimation.

May God Bless your future and you find Peace and Tranquility wherever you decide to live.

Best Regards and a Big Amen to you Bruddah. :ThmbUp:

pktruckdriver
08-30-2009, 08:37 AM
January 16, Hot Springs' Coy's Steakhouse was destroyed in an early morning fire!!!! ON THE NIGHT before live racing opened for the season. I'm talking burned right down to the ground. I dunno if they rebuilt it or not yet?

thank you. Patrick, it's CHEAP here. Hot Springs is a good deal south of the "Walmart Corporation" epi-center, but if you were going to continue driving, there's them, and also JBHunt and all the big Tyson outfits in Arkansas.

I don't like to talk it up, for fear people will move here. LOL I live quite a ways from the track, but I have what many people *say* they want.....as a single gal with few assets: ditched my mortgage in CT, built my own cabin in the woods on 10 acres, have to drive to nearest neighbor, can walk around nekkid, and no mortgage!!!. I could never have done that most anywhere else. I have deer and all that wildlife to look at, a spring-fed creek to swim in less than 3 miles away with waterfalls, etc. A far far cry from my life in Connecticut!!!! Paradise. :)

If I moved, I thinkgI would like Louisville, KY. No Cali for me, not into the highways/driving. NY is way too expensive and crowded. Other place, like you say, Florida. I've fished both coasts of Florida multiple times, and pretty much the entire Intercoastal Waterways from So. Fl., Geogia, South Carolina and up to North Carolina!

Sorry to hear about Coy's, but Winter you make this place sound so much like Alaska, for whioch I loved so much, but no horse racing, only Bingo, and that was if you came into town, and who wanted to do that, too often anyway.

But running round Nekked, as nice as it sounds, 400lbs nekked isn't pretty, and mosquito's and Poisin Ivy would find and attack me, lol, just kidding, this place does not have fishing that I would so so much will miss being able to do , as South Florida, yes would be awesome, the part-time work or business may be too much and the heat is very very oppressive, hurricanes, which mean extremely high insurance, and the culture there is much more dangerous than most places, though the fishing off the east coast in the Gulfstream Water Currents almost out weighs the headaches involved, and the market is kinda down now, I think one could easily get a townhome or Condo, even a house for under 50-100k, now condo fees scare me, as they could go off the chart and force me out, but Townhomes don't have those outrageous fees, Do they? A place with athletic club/gym , pool with no harpoon's of course, a place for me to workout and do so in a controled enviroment, as getting help and support to excersise would be easy enough in that enviroment, yepper.

Now condo's in Arkansas, sounds like with nekked women in the surrounding hills , it just might be a place to go, any idea's on who to call and talk to, any realtor's , mortage people, website to visit, and Magichorseman also do you have any contacts for the Mountaineer area, because they run almost all year, maybe hauling horses could be my part time support, maybe, but if you have any recommendations, please share them with me, as I will look into each area, why now, because I need to change things in my life, and now is the time to get a home/condo or something on dry land, but a houseboat in south florida wouldn't be bad either, except during a hurricane...

Serioulsy thank all of you for the comments , and even if my heart is in South Florida because I was born in Miami Beach, I may not be able to afford to go there, and will have to settle for visits there, a weekly fishing trip when the dolphin(mahi-mahi) are jumping in the boats, and fill up 3-4 big igloo coolers and go home.

Thanks again everyone

Patrick

garyoz
08-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Hands-down. NYC. East Village or maybe The Heights or Cobble Hill in Brooklyn. Lived there 20 years--the best racing on the whole, plus plenty of other things (e.g. cultural) to do. Also many interesting people to hangout with.

Overlay
08-30-2009, 10:28 AM
If you could move to be next to any Circuit, what would it be and why?

Combining the aspects of aesthetics, history, quality of racing, and climate (rather than the wagering-related aspects of the question), I'd pick Kentucky. (I'm surprised you didn't include it in the post that you started the thread with.)

nobeyerspls
08-30-2009, 10:30 AM
My summer home is six furlongs from the Fort Erie racetrack. Cheaper horses but still competitive and I play Woodbine and most U.S. tracks via simulcast. The place is hallowed ground for me as I saw Northern Dancer race here as well as his old man.
It's a small town with the best summer weather in North America. My first novel is about the area. It was published three weeks ago. It's called Crystal Beach Sunset and it has some nice racing content.

DanG
08-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the web-based world of horse racing.

IMHO, the issues are:

1. The state must be "bettor-friendly" to online horse wagering.

2. The state should have a favorable taxation system.
Exactly David. :ThmbUp:

All things being equal (and they never are) it’s very hard to top the area surrounding Del Mar for weather, beauty and quality of life.
http://www.alwaysonvacation.com/LSS/images/35485/SolanaBeach2BedroomsSleeps5_11515144304061.jpg

Quagmire
08-30-2009, 10:50 AM
My summer home is six furlongs from the Fort Erie racetrack. Cheaper horses but still competitive and I play Woodbine and most U.S. tracks via simulcast. The place is hallowed ground for me as I saw Northern Dancer race here as well as his old man.
It's a small town with the best summer weather in North America. My first novel is about the area. It was published three weeks ago. It's called Crystal Beach Sunset and it has some nice racing content.

I ordered a copy after seeing one of the characters described on Amazon as a part time exercise rider/part time stripper!

andymays
08-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Exactly David. :ThmbUp:

All things being equal (and they never are) it’s very hard to top the area surrounding Del Mar for weather, beauty and quality of life.
http://www.alwaysonvacation.com/LSS/images/35485/SolanaBeach2BedroomsSleeps5_11515144304061.jpg

I can't tell you how many times I used to go body surfing in the late morning and after a few hours to the races at Del Mar. Back then it didn't matter if you had your bathing suite on and a little sand stuck to your body. Life was good! The Horses even got to go in the surf back then.

Those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end............................................... .........................................

pktruckdriver
08-30-2009, 11:08 AM

Congrats on the 1st Novel, here it is....

http://books.google.com/books?id=7yPP3b-qHHUC&dq=crystal+beach+sunset,+the+novel&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=3bXF8j5ac8&sig=yjFPbnfuOOVPdff8Do5n1RQ3cZI&hl=en&ei=fZGaSvH0M8iL8QaQ2Yy0BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Ky is nice but no racing is long enough in one place and hillbillies and truck drivers, just think of it, watch out world. No it would be nice but not what I think I am looking for, but then again, show me some stuff to research and you never know,as not only can I research it, I can most likely visit there during my job, getting a trip anywhere in the country is easy enough to do, ecept getting a day off at the Iowa track , the one with a BBQ with my name on it, that place is a little hard to get to, but I will soon enough.

My retirement income , would love it it could buy a bait shop in So. Fla, and do something I love as much if not more than horse racing and that is fishing, deep sea fishing that is, no awesome high paying gig, just something to paythe bills and have alittle left over to play and fish, till I croak, that's my plan, but back to reality and my actual paossiblities

1. Drive trucks part time , or do New truck transporting or truck retrieval work
or maybe work 3 months on 2-3 months off, etc... like that somehow

2. Maybe drive a Lincoln Sedan Car or Taxi for a week on and week off or so,
or maybe be the fill in guy, making bank and paying bills and then taking off

3. hitting the lottery , as no relatives are rich and near death, too bad, LOL

4. Maybe actually become a pretty good horse player, despite what others
say and actually survive playing, as I have no retirement funds, was too
Outlaw'ish to save anything, spend spend was my motto, and enjoy, I did

5. Write a book or novel and actually sell a few of them, maybe make a Fat Guy
Calendar and sell them for 10.00 and sell about 5 or 6 thousand of them,
yeah right

6. any ideas are actually appreciated, I am willing to try most anything, once..

Patrick

Grits
08-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Patrick, I live, at the halfway point, between NY and Miami. Three miles off of the busiest interstate in the the country, the north-south corridor that is I-95. For me, it works as I can easily travel north, south, or west. And I'm only two hours to the coastal waters as well.

North Carolina over the last decade has grown, tremendously, in population, the majority of which have been folks from the Northeast who have sought well paying jobs with a lower cost of living, a far better tax rate. Places such as the Charlotte region with its large financial center and the Research Triangle area of Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill (both of which I-85 runs through), the Triad area of Greensboro, Winston Salem and High Point (which I-40 runs through). These areas, along with thousands of retirees and those building second homes have chosen the Asheville area surrounded by the Blue Ridge and Smokey mountains, and the coastal areas of the Outer Banks/Nagshead/Ocracoke Island, or those of Atlantic Beach/Beaufort/Morehead City, and the larger area of Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach/Topsail Island.

You love fishing, there's plenty of it. Charters leave out everyday at all of the coastal areas. They need bait for those boats,too. Open a bait shop in one.

If you prefer the cooler weather of the mountains, there's plenty of that too.

I've lived here all of my life with the exception of a time in Lexington, Ky, when my second home became my primary residence. For me, living in horse country was nice, but I was landlocked, which bothered me. Plus, you take horses out of Kentucky, when they move on to NY and Florida, there simply isn't enough to do with only two cities the size of Lexington and Louisville.

And like Winter Triangle, I've had a home in the woods, removed from everything, a second home on a large lake, here in NC. The former spouse was bored, we sold it and went to the coast where its too crowded from May to September!!! The crowds caused me to miss my house in the woods a lot!

Anyway, I'd look around carefully. You can read and learn the tax rate, everything about the cost of living from rentals to utility rates to tax rates. Not only averages by state, but by city as well. All you have to do is get online and google any particular area you are interested in.

The one drawback, no, there are no racetracks here. But, to those, I can drive, the nearest being Virginia, right above me. The racetrack shouldn't play a large part in a decision this important. Its entertainment, and not the only form of it.

I hate hot weather and humidity, but I have to tolerate it; if I were to leave here, it surely wouldn't be for Florida or other points south. I couldn't hang. LOL

Keep looking, you'll find what's right.

Space Monkey
08-30-2009, 12:35 PM
fwolf, you got it made except for one thing. WEATHER!! Its the reason I moved from New England down here to Florida.

Tom, I agree to a point. You save $, time and aggravation doing it all from home. But you don't get that "feel" for the racing that you can only get by being there, at the paddock and along the rail when they come back.

Lifestyle is IMPORTANT. I don't think I'd fit in at Mountaineer. Plus, I hate their wagering menu. I could very easily do SoCal or South Florida.

New York does not have one of the lowest takeouts in the country. Win, Ex, DBl,yes, but all other exotics are 25%. Cal and Kentucky are the best places for takeout. Exotics are roughly 20% across the board.

bisket
08-30-2009, 01:13 PM
my two favorite meets are gulfstream and saratoga. you can really make some cake on those two meets. you get barns from different circuits that usually only race against each other in graded stakes competing at the allowance and claiming level. usually good plays result because unlike at local meets where the same horses compete against each other all the time. at saratoga and gulfstream accomplished allowance and claimers are racing against each other for the first time. odds are usually good on the winner!! :ThmbUp:

BUD
08-30-2009, 02:28 PM
My Wife Asked me this!!?

1-NYRA-
2-La
3-The UK

In Direct order it would look like the NYRA
The UK
La -Mixed in With the One and only Blue Grass State

Now I gotta ask my Wife why she's hanging with Patric:D

NJ Stinks
08-30-2009, 03:45 PM
I live 25 minutes from Philly Park, 45 minutes from Freehold & Chester (two harness tracks), 60 minutes from Delaware Park, and 75 minutes from Monmouth and the Meadowlands. I don't consider going to Aqueduct, Belmont, Yonkers, Pocono Downs or Penn National because 120 minutes is too long a ride unless the occasion is really special. Anyway, there's live racing around here all year long. Can't imagine moving to a better area when it comes to choice of live racing although that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Anyway, my suggestion would be to take a look at the State of Delaware, Patrick. No sales tax; close to the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean to quench your thirst for fishing; part of the Northeast corridor so trucking jobs should in demand around here; property values not nearly as high their northern neighbors or further south around DC and Baltimore.

Just a thought.

pktruckdriver
08-31-2009, 05:59 PM
I live 25 minutes from Philly Park, 45 minutes from Freehold & Chester (two harness tracks), 60 minutes from Delaware Park, and 75 minutes from Monmouth and the Meadowlands. I don't consider going to Aqueduct, Belmont, Yonkers, Pocono Downs or Penn National because 120 minutes is too long a ride unless the occasion is really special. Anyway, there's live racing around here all year long. Can't imagine moving to a better area when it comes to choice of live racing although that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Anyway, my suggestion would be to take a look at the State of Delaware, Patrick. No sales tax; close to the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean to quench your thirst for fishing; part of the Northeast corridor so trucking jobs should in demand around here; property values not nearly as high their northern neighbors or further south around DC and Baltimore.

Just a thought.

NJ the Northeast is not really the place I'd like to move to, being from Florida, but the prospect of living in NYC, near Aqu or Bel would be kinda neat, but the affordability would be off the charts no doubt, but to say I lived in the city would be cool,and NY racing has been kind to me,actually very kind thru-out the years. I would love the Seattle area or even Portland, and could fly to Alaksa ( halibut and salmon) for my fishing trips,and Cabo for my mahi mahi, fishing,but most important would be the " Chicken Terrayaki " joints everywhere, nothing like on the east coast, also fresh King crab in the Albertson's during the year, no wonder I'm 400lbs.

But the NW is too expensive for me probally, leaving Ark, WV, or Fla as real options maybe La., but not really intersted in there, sorry.

patrick

46zilzal
08-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Be close to a course where consistent top quality racing is assured. That limits ones choice to NY, Kentucky, Chicago, FLA or Toronto..

At one time when Hollywood and Anita drew East coast stables over the Winter, that would have been added but those days are LONG GONE.

WinterTriangle
08-31-2009, 11:23 PM
leaving Ark, WV, or Fla as real options maybe La., but not really intersted in there, sorry.

patrick

I love Louisiana, but had to leave as my lungs don't come with gills. :)

Not to open a can of worms, but I'm friends with several merchant marines. They have no problem finding great places to retire, having seen the world. Three friends have gone to costa rica, mexico, etc. there's some pretty nice places in those environs. One just came back from New Zealand, the races there have a wonderful picnic fair like quality. People sitting on lawn chairs, etc.

Just a thought, esp. if you are on a tight budget.

DanG
09-01-2009, 07:12 AM
At one time when Hollywood and Anita drew East coast stables over the Winter, that would have been added but those days are LONG GONE.
When was So Cal considered a “ship in” market?

So Cal has had its “own” class circuit for as long as I can remember. That’s one of the challenges of racing there; it’s on a virtual island and does not have those feeder umbilical cords many eastern tracks enjoy. (In fairness; that also works against some eastern tracks in terms of competing for stock.)

my_nameaintearl
09-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Tracks i can get to within 2 hours
chester - 2 mins away from me
delaware park- 20
Philly park- 25
Belmont
Aqueduct
Penn national
Yonkers
FreeHold
Monmouth
Pocono

i live in a good spot :1:

badcompany
09-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Hands-down. NYC. East Village or maybe The Heights or Cobble Hill in Brooklyn. Lived there 20 years--the best racing on the whole, plus plenty of other things (e.g. cultural) to do. Also many interesting people to hangout with.

The problem with NYC for horseplaying is that NYCOTB sucks. The way it's set up is not conducive to serious betting. I live in Manhattan and the majority of my plays this year have been made in the Saratoga Racino.

fmolf
09-01-2009, 08:36 PM
PK I have lived on long island all my life.Weather can get cold in dead of winter but we have winter racing at aqueduct.Two fantastic meets at belmont(my favorite besides saratoga)plenty of work opportunities and some of the best saltwater fishing anywhere.These are the species I can fish for every year...flounder,fluke(summer flounder)weakfish,bluefish,blackfish(tautog)porgy, seabass and striped bass.Go 5 miles offshore and you have some of the best tuna and shark fishing anywhere in the world! Transit system excellent to and from the city and we have a new teletheatre in plainview called "the race palace" that pays track prices.Go to saratoga....get a little cabin in the woods...saratoga harness runs most of the year they have simulcasting as well year round and do all your fishing in the many fresh waters lakes ponds rivers and streams in the beautiful adirondacks!you could also drive to finger lakes from saratoga 90 mins or so

Fred
09-02-2009, 06:24 AM
We also have the O S Hill trucking and big rig servicing company just 4 or 5 miles away in Calcutta Ohio. Then there is a really big 18 wheeler junk yard just 20 miles away in West Point Ohio which is just south of Lisbon Ohio. Chester has 4 lane highway rt. 11 that goes straight north. Route 7 ( 4 lanes) goes straight south in Ohio. Route 30 (2 and 3 lanes goes east and west) but they are going to work on it to make it straighter and better. Just 25 miles from the Pittsburgh airport.

Another plus is the Ohio river- it is a super great way to relax and have fun and zero miles away! We have an island just straight out from Chester that many go out to have fun.

We have Beaver Creek state park just 10 miles away and Tomlinson Run just 8 miles away. We have a nice little park in Chester and Newell. Newell is between Chester and the racetrack. The Newell location has a newly installed hiking trail and an area to investigate that once housed a zoo in the 1920. It is interesting to get inside the polar bears den and wonder how the place might have looked in the 1920's.

Newell also has the Worlds biggest Pottery at Home Laughlin. They sell Fiesta ware (colored dishes) which can be an addicting hobby just like betting on horses is to others.

We have two small airports just 5 miles away if you want to take lessons like my friend Robert is doing right now.

I am originally from your area (Martins Ferry). Although I love the Valley this area is economically challenged and many of the towns along the river are run down. But your right-cost of living is cheap.

Freddy

pktruckdriver
09-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Anyone know anything about Indiana, they have Casino money now, and run pretty regular no? The tracks are just North and just south of Indy I think.

Wonder what housing and job market are there, but this make my fishing trips cost much more to do , so maybe not , but for trucking this area is great and always has been, this is a serious consideration.

patrick

maxwell
09-02-2009, 09:05 PM
I haven't been to nearly enough tracks & towns to really say, but I just loved Santa Anita and Del Mar. We hung out at Newport Beach for a week. For me, it would take a lot to top SoCal. :)

Steven Kolb
09-03-2009, 01:03 AM
For beauty and tranquility (and no humidity)

Ruidoso Downs - NM
_____

For a nice place to live (and no humidity) where
there's always something happening

Portland Meadows - OR