PDA

View Full Version : My trip report of Pimlico for the Preakness. I give it 0 Stars!!

Zippy Chippy
05-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Aside from the Parade (which was great), my Pimlico/Preakness experience was a complete and utter nightmare. Thank God that CJ/CJs dad told me to take the Light Rail to the park, otherwise I probably woulda spent $150 on cabs. There was no one in Baltimore that could offer up any info, including the hotel workers.

Several people including when I called Pimlico told me it costs $25 to get into the grandstand, but if you buy your tickets there, they subtract the $25. So i paid $50 for us to get in and then i bought $105 tix (210 total). I told the guy he needs to subtract $50 but he just kept saying, "you already paid that" . I just paid the $210 and was so annoyed that i just wanted to get to our seats. They said it was outdoors. We get to the seats and they are indoors. So i go back and get seats "Near the finish line" they told me. When i went back he realized he charged me $50 to much. So the seats "near the finish line" is literally at the first turn. They had a tent setup. It also took me about 20 mins to get to those seats because none of the workers knew those seats existed. I was not sitting there so i called a guy from Craigslist and met up w/ him and bought two great seats near the 1/16th pole.

I go to the window to make my bet, "Pimlico race 12, $1 exacta, ALL/ALL.. "The girl couldn't get it to work and called a manager over.. I explained what i wanted. The girl typed it in and it beeped. He said, "You can't do that".. SO i literally had to say, 1@, 2@ etc. (by the way, that bet worked out nicely :-(

There were several more things that happened but i had enough beer to try to forget about them, but the kicker was!! You couldn't hear the race caller!! You could vaguely hear it during the undercard races, but for the Preakness, forget about it. I had no idea MTB was even closing on her. YOu seriously couldn't hear anything. I understand it was loud, but I could hear TOm Durkin clearly when I've been at the Belmont with Triple Crown bids going on.

I am very easy to please, but I really didn't enjoy my overall experience at the track, and its disappointing because I had a good feeling I was going to fall in love with the place.

If someone told me they hired all those workers the day of the Preakness, I'd belive it.

InsideThePylons-MW
05-17-2009, 02:02 PM
I am 0 for the last decade at having a pleasurable experience during any Triple Crown or other big day event I have attended in person at the track.

Bruddah
05-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Sorry to hear the Preakness Experience has not gotten better. I believe it is a wonderful old track and the people in Baltimore (as a whole) are truly wonderful Folks. The last Preakness, I attended, was 1988. I had attended 5 or 6 others prior to that. Unfortunately, the Experience seem to grow worse every year.

Through all the following years, I think Politics and poor Management has brought it to this point. The people of Baltimore deserve better. Today it's not represenative of their Beautiful City and good folks. I hope new owners will do everything they can to elevate the Preakness to the level of the people and city again. I am happy that the city and state seem to have made the commitment to do so. :ThmbUp:

Shelby
05-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks so much for the update on your trip. I'm so sorry it wasn't fun. :( There's nothing worse than being excited for a big event and having be more exhausting than exciting.

I'm becoming a firm believer in going to a fun OTB place and watching/betting there. We went to Tulsa again to Fair Meadows and had an absolute blast. Decent food for lunch, great drinks, and fun people who scream and cheer for each race. I highly recommend it.

Relwob Owner
05-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Aside from the Parade (which was great), my Pimlico/Preakness experience was a complete and utter nightmare. Thank God that CJ/CJs dad told me to take the Light Rail to the park, otherwise I probably woulda spent $150 on cabs. There was no one in Baltimore that could offer up any info, including the hotel workers.

Several people including when I called Pimlico told me it costs $25 to get into the grandstand, but if you buy your tickets there, they subtract the $25. So i paid $50 for us to get in and then i bought $105 tix (210 total). I told the guy he needs to subtract $50 but he just kept saying, "you already paid that" . I just paid the $210 and was so annoyed that i just wanted to get to our seats. They said it was outdoors. We get to the seats and they are indoors. So i go back and get seats "Near the finish line" they told me. When i went back he realized he charged me $50 to much. So the seats "near the finish line" is literally at the first turn. They had a tent setup. It also took me about 20 mins to get to those seats because none of the workers knew those seats existed. I was not sitting there so i called a guy from Craigslist and met up w/ him and bought two great seats near the 1/16th pole.

I go to the window to make my bet, "Pimlico race 12, $1 exacta, ALL/ALL.. "The girl couldn't get it to work and called a manager over.. I explained what i wanted. The girl typed it in and it beeped. He said, "You can't do that".. SO i literally had to say, 1@, 2@ etc. (by the way, that bet worked out nicely :-(

There were several more things that happened but i had enough beer to try to forget about them, but the kicker was!! You couldn't hear the race caller!! You could vaguely hear it during the undercard races, but for the Preakness, forget about it. I had no idea MTB was even closing on her. YOu seriously couldn't hear anything. I understand it was loud, but I could hear TOm Durkin clearly when I've been at the Belmont with Triple Crown bids going on.

I am very easy to please, but I really didn't enjoy my overall experience at the track, and its disappointing because I had a good feeling I was going to fall in love with the place.

If someone told me they hired all those workers the day of the Preakness, I'd belive it.

Sorry for the bad experience.....is anyone surprised that Magna is going bankrupt? everyone says slots are why Maryland racing is going South. Your experience shows the real reason....they cant even put on a good show one day a year.....

I was there and had several issues but the biggest were the tellers.....absolutely incompetent

Zippy Chippy
05-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks so much for the update on your trip. I'm so sorry it wasn't fun. :( There's nothing worse than being excited for a big event and having be more exhausting than exciting.

I'm becoming a firm believer in going to a fun OTB place and watching/betting there. We went to Tulsa again to Fair Meadows and had an absolute blast. Decent food for lunch, great drinks, and fun people who scream and cheer for each race. I highly recommend it.

All i have to say is that going to the Derby is the dream of my life.. Im going next year.. If its anything like this years experience I will be 100% heartbroken!

Saratoga_Mike
05-17-2009, 08:44 PM
I think you guys are being too tough on Pimlico. Many of the workers are actually temps who were only hired a few days b/f the big event. I've been to the Preakness three times and enjoyed it each time (okay the yr the power failed was a bit much). As for the Belmont, it's such a large facility that I think it's a great place for a big race. I've been to three Belmonts and loved it each time.

the little guy
05-17-2009, 08:54 PM
I have attended the Preakness eight of the last ten years, including this year, and have always had a great time.

To each their own.

Zippy Chippy
05-17-2009, 09:17 PM
I think you guys are being too tough on Pimlico. Many of the workers are actually temps who were only hired a few days b/f the big event. I've been to the Preakness three times and enjoyed it each time (okay the yr the power failed was a bit much). As for the Belmont, it's such a large facility that I think it's a great place for a big race. I've been to three Belmonts and loved it each time.

Why on gods earth would the workers be temps?????????

Its clear to me that they were but thats insane! dont they want people to come back???????

FWIW i love the Belmont

Saratoga_Mike
05-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Why on gods earth would the workers be temps?????????
Its clear to me that they were but thats insane! dont they want people to come back???????

FWIW i love the Belmont

Try going out to PIM this Thursday and you'll answer your own question. There will be 12 people there, 11 if you don't show. Therefore, they flex the staff up on Blackeyed Susan and Preakness Day. Otherwise, they'd be overwhelmed by labor costs and be forced into bankruptcy. Wait a minute, oh never mind...

bishlap
05-17-2009, 09:24 PM
after reading Zippy's remarks I will never badmouth Belmont/NYRA again. Wish u would've had a better experience.

Hajck Hillstrom
05-17-2009, 09:31 PM
All i have to say is that going to the Derby is the dream of my life.. Im going next year.. If its anything like this years experience I will be 100% heartbroken!Don't worry about it. I went to the `07 Derby and had the greatest weekend of my life. Go to the Oaks on Friday, get the lay of the land, and enjoy the Kentucky hospitality. Sunday morning should be spent at the Kentucky Horse Park and then some simulcast wagering in the afternoon at Keeneland if you had a good Derby, otherwise you can tour a farm in Versailles. It will truly be the best of times.

slewis
05-17-2009, 09:40 PM
I have attended the Preakness eight of the last ten years, including this year, and have always had a great time.

To each their own.

Yeah because they gave you guys great seats inside.... but they stick the owners in the dumb tent at $500.00 per person.

Oh, sorry, it includes a tee shirt and food and drink.

Im on a diet anyway..... Then they give Eric 8 (eight) passes to be with the horse when saddled.

The guys own brother couldn't go into the saddling area.

I spent the entire day watching races in a tent on an old TV....

Aqueduct in Dec is better then that.... If we ever get to the Preakness again (highly unlikely) I'll be watching at Belmont....

BTW.... even Horseman's relations there are the most uncooperative bunch we've ever dealt with.... The woman that runs it needs to have a big Tee-shirt printed with " I SAID NO" printed on front and back !

slewis
05-17-2009, 09:45 PM

You know what .... You stick Goldman Sachs and Mobil Oil in a corporate tent at $500.00 a person... for the owners in the Preakness, you put them in Clubhouse tabled seating with 30 paddock passes for your race.

They are clueless.

Saratoga_Mike
Yeah because they gave you guys great seats inside.... but they stick the owners in the dumb tent at $500.00 per person.

Oh, sorry, it includes a tee shirt and food and drink.

Im on a diet anyway..... Then they give Eric 8 (eight) passes to be with the horse when saddled.

The guys own brother couldn't go into the saddling area.

I spent the entire day watching races in a tent on an old TV....

Aqueduct in Dec is better then that.... If we ever get to the Preakness again (highly unlikely) I'll be watching at Belmont....

BTW.... even Horseman's relations there are the most uncooperative bunch we've ever dealt with.... The woman that runs it needs to have a big Tee-shirt printed with " I SAID NO" printed on front and back !

Wow. I just can't decide who is more provocative: you or Lambo. I'd like to do a poll on it, would you mind? And please don't take this the wrong way. While I don't always agree with you, you always seem to make things interesting.

the little guy
I didn't have seats this year.

Saratoga_Mike
05-17-2009, 09:48 PM
You know what .... You stick Goldman Sachs and Mobil Oil in a corporate tent at $500.00 a person... for the owners in the Preakness, you put them in Clubhouse tabled seating with 30 paddock passes for your race.

They are clueless.

I can't believe you ended up in a corporate tent. The view from the clubhouse dining room is excellent, I can assure you.

Saratoga_Mike
05-17-2009, 09:49 PM

Did you have access to the press box?

slewis
05-17-2009, 09:51 PM

Do you think it's right what they do??? BTW I looked in the grandstand for you.... I ran into PJ and Haywood.... I guess cause the're taller than 'TLG".

Hope you had a good time cause I didn't.

Relwob Owner
05-17-2009, 09:51 PM
I can't believe you ended up in a corporate tent. The view from the clubhouse dining room is excellent, I can assure you.

The dining room was great and I would recommend it. Easy betting, easy paddock access, good buffet....

the little guy
05-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Did you have access to the press box?

I did but I didn't go there.

slewis
05-17-2009, 09:53 PM

They put all the owners in the tents.... it's BS... we told them we wanted to buy Clubhouse seats.. they said "No can do"....

They want their $500.00 per person BS buffet...

Saratoga_Mike
05-17-2009, 09:53 PM
I did but I didn't go there.

It's usually one of the best views in the house, no? Thanks.

Shelby
05-17-2009, 09:54 PM
I guess that I (stupidly) have always chalked up any bad experience to not knowing the ins and outs of where ever I'm going. That's why I started asking questions here about Oaklawn etc.

It's really a shame that even after knowing where to park, where to go etc. that the track itself made it hard to have a good time.

I heard that Pimlico is close to having to shut down...is that true?

Saratoga_Mike
05-17-2009, 09:56 PM
They put all the owners in the tents.... it's BS... we told them we wanted to buy Clubhouse seats.. they said "No can do"....

They want their $500.00 per person BS buffet...

I think if you had made clubhouse dining room reservations ahead of time, you would have had a good time. And I don't believe it costs $500/person. Relwob? Still, I'm not defending the corporate tent situation.

the little guy
05-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Do you think it's right what they do??? BTW I looked in the grandstand for you.... I ran into PJ and Haywood.... I guess cause the're taller than 'TLG".

Hope you had a good time cause I didn't.

We discussed this at Belmont on Wednesday so you know how I feel and if I could have helped you I would have.

I was walking around the Grandstand quite a bit during the day.

Relwob Owner
05-17-2009, 10:00 PM

Ive been lucky enough to go to a fair amount of big races and here is what I have learned.....save up and shell out for the best seats/area you can get. I have gone without seats and wandered and had awful times. For the others, I have shelled out for the "pricey" seats and every time I have, I have enjoyed it....I got lucky yesterday and a buddy told me exactly where to sit in the dining room at Pimlico and it was great..... time to save for next year:)

the little guy
It's usually one of the best views in the house, no? Thanks.

It is but I don't believe in getting in the way of people who are working when I'm not. On a quiet day during the week it's a different story.

slewis
I think if you had made clubhouse dining room reservations ahead of time, you would have had a good time. And I don't believe it costs $500/person. Relwob? Still, I'm not defending the corporate tent situation.

How much notice do they need... I mean we're not running Musket Man in the Preakness if he finishes 16th in the Derby...

We called 2 days after the Kentucky Derby! They made NO (0) other options available... We were seriously considering just hanging out in the Grandstand... kinda like goin' back to our roots when we used to all go to Belmont when we were 17...

We laughed about it but we were very close to doing it...

the little guy
05-17-2009, 10:02 PM

We had a table in the dining room and I agree that it's a nice place to be for the day. I didn't stay there a lot after the early part of the card however.

Relwob Owner
05-17-2009, 10:03 PM

260 a pop and it was totally worth it. Totally stress free....great service, good buffet and very, very easy betting(tellers not so hot but oh well)...the other cool thing is that for relative outsiders like me, there were a fair amount of big names up there who were really relaxed and talking to fans.

Relwob Owner
05-17-2009, 10:09 PM
We had a table in the dining room and I agree that it's a nice place to be for the day. I didn't stay there a lot after the early part of the card however.

You probably saw me leaning over trying to politely explain to the teller what a pick 3 is......

Saratoga_Mike
05-17-2009, 10:12 PM
How much notice do they need... I mean we're not running Musket Man in the Preakness if he finishes 16th in the Derby...

We called 2 days after the Kentucky Derby! They made NO (0) other options available... We were seriously considering just hanging out in the Grandstand... kinda like goin' back to our roots when we used to all go to Belmont when we were 17...

We laughed about it but we were very close to doing it...

For a party of your size, perhaps it would have taken a lot of advance notice, I don't know. I know one person on this board who got a small table about 10 days b/f the Preakness.

Relwob Owner
05-17-2009, 10:17 PM
For a party of your size, perhaps it would have taken a lot of advance notice, I don't know. I know one person on this board who got a small table about 10 days b/f the Preakness.

They had tables of 4, six and 8 available as of two fridays ago...there were also several tables in the same section without TV's that were empty.

Saratoga_Mike
05-17-2009, 10:19 PM
They had tables of 4, six and 8 available as of two fridays ago...there were also several tables in the same section without TV's that were empty.

Slewis, would you have preferred a table without a TV over the corporate tents?

slewis
05-17-2009, 10:23 PM

Slewis, would you have preferred a table without a TV over the corporate tents?

Of course.... I would just get up when they were loading in the gate and find a TV.....

We asked for all these things but the woman who runs the thing kept saying NO NO NO NO.... Eric (MM's owner) told me it reminded him of dating as a teen.

OTM Al
05-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Sorry you didn't like it. I was there for Friday and had a blast. Only bad thing was no backpacks, so I had to leave my man-purse in the car. Bought an overpriced Preakness tote so I could carry my stuff, so that worked out ok and it will be useful for grocery trips. I figure I'll stuff it in my backpack and next time there is some non-backpack event, I'll just pull it out and stuff everything, backpack included, into it. That'll show 'em.

General admission was $3 and we quickly found people who had extra tickets on the apron right at the finish line, $10 each. Probably could have talked them down further, but they were nice, so didn't bother.

I take it back. One thing was awful. The Black Eyed Susan drink. Boubon simply does not go with OJ in my book. I got it all down, but it was much better when the ice melted. I must say it's much better than a mint julep though. Those are just plain bad and a waste of good bourbon.

A really neat thing about Pimlico is they have a small museum on the second floor. Some fun stuff there including the contract for the Seabiscuit-War Admiral match race. It was very sad to see the neighborhood though. They could be such nice houses and for every 10 that were boarded over, there was one that was nicely painted and had a little garden out front. Some people are still trying there. I hope they succeed.

All in all a great time. Sad I missed making a connection or 2 there I'd hoped to make, but also had some fun surprises before heading home, including a chance to see a Kentucky Derby Winner's championship-like ring. Pretty cool. Had a chance to have some good seats for Saturday as well, but just could not stay. Pimlico may not be high on my revisit list, though I'd certainly go again, but Baltimore sure is and there are a couple more tracks I haven't been to within shouting distance.

Saratoga_Mike
05-17-2009, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE=Saratoga_Mike]

Of course.... I would just get up when they were loading in the gate and find a TV.....

We asked for all these things but the woman who runs the thing kept saying NO NO NO NO.... Eric (MM's owner) told me it reminded him of dating as a teen.

First of all that dating line cracked me up. I wish you had posted your problems with the tables, or lack thereof, 10 days ago. I think I could have assisted you with the situation. I couldn't pull strings, just pointed you in the right direction.

slewis
05-17-2009, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=slewis]

First of all that dating line cracked me up. I wish you had posted your problems with the tables, or lack thereof, 10 days ago. I think I could have assisted you with the situation. I couldn't pull strings, just pointed you in the right direction.

Thanks,

If we can pull off getting to the Derby three years in a row, I'll be seeking your help.... But I think your pretty safe...

Odds say that I'll probably not be in Kentucky the first Sat in May or Baltimore on the 3rd.... If we can get all of our 2 yr olds to the starting gate before Sept 1.. I'll be happy.... anything else is a bonus...

It's a tough tough game...

InsideThePylons-MW
05-18-2009, 01:28 AM
Thankfully I passed and just flew my girlfriend and her cousin to the Belmont last year.

I didn't realize that when you supposedly buy tickets to one of the best spots in the house that it includes.....100 degree temperature inside.....a waitstaff that has abandoned ship.....no working restroom facilities......and a sickening putird unbearable smell coming from the bathrooms which are not working but people are still going because there is no other option.

Order Date: 05/17/2008 10:19 PM

2008 Belmont Stakes Tickets
Belmont Park, Elmont, NY
06/07/2008 12:00 PM
(Event time subject to change. Check local listings.)

Quantity: 2
Section: GARDEN TERRACE
Row: D
Comments: PREMIER DINING ROOM..INCLUDES HOT AND COLD BUFFET..GREAT VIEW OF TRACK..EASY ACCESS TO BETTING WINDOWS..TVS

BILLING INFORMATION
----------------------------------------

Subtotal: $2,150.00

Commission: $215.00
Shipping: $11.95

Order Total: $2,376.95

CREDIT CARD:

toussaud
05-18-2009, 01:41 AM
i think it's screwed up they treat the connections like that. you'd think they would break out a foot massage to make the connections happy.

good customer service is very hard to find these days.

Bruddah
05-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Thankfully I passed and just flew my girlfriend and her cousin to the Belmont last year.

I didn't realize that when you supposedly buy tickets to one of the best spots in the house that it includes.....100 degree temperature inside.....a waitstaff that has abandoned ship.....no working restroom facilities......and a sickening putird unbearable smell coming from the bathrooms which are not working but people are still going because there is no other option.

Belmont Park, Elmont, NY

Comments: PREMIER DINING ROOM..INCLUDES HOT AND COLD BUFFET..GREAT VIEW OF TRACK..EASY ACCESS TO BETTING WINDOWS..TVS

BILLING INFORMATION

CREDIT CARD:

Race track Mgmt. is clueless on how to treat all levels of patrons. Whether the customer pays out the nose or has enough for a $2 bet, they are subjected to bad service. Managements attitude is Fleece'um, Fu*k'em and Forget'um til next year. They won't listen to the everyday patron (Handicapper) but they should listen to the connections. Hell, you guys and gals should send a letter of disapproval. If you don't, then it's your own darn fault. I think the way you describe your treatment they should have been embarassed, ashamed and offered to refund some, if not all of your money. They would have had this old man in their face and they wouldn't have liked it. :mad:

miesque
05-18-2009, 09:06 AM

Belmont Park, Elmont, NY

BILLING INFORMATION

CREDIT CARD:

The 2008 Belmont Stakes was bar none the WORST experience I have ever had at a racetrack (or any other sporting/entertainment venue) and I don't care if Secretariat is racing against Man O'War at this year's Belmont Stakes I will not be in attendence. My bloodpressure skyrockets and I start frothing at the mouth whenever I think about it. I was so pissed off when I got back from that experience that I cancelled my trip to JCGC that I had planned for last Fall.

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2009, 09:07 AM
The 2008 Belmont Stakes was bar none the WORST experience I have ever had at a racetrack (or any other sporting/entertainment venue) and I don't care if Secretariat is racing against Man O'War at this year's Belmont Stakes I will not be in attendence. My bloodpressure skyrockets and I start frothing at the mouth whenever I think about it. I was so pissed off when I got back from that experience that I cancelled my trip to JCGC that I had planned for last Fall.

I was at the Belmont last yr. I had a good time. I heard they had problems with the bathrooms. Was that your issue?

miesque
05-18-2009, 09:22 AM
I was at the Belmont last yr. I had a good time. I heard they had problems with the bathrooms. Was that your issue?

Yes, at first it was just an obscene wait for the women's bathroom (Third Floor Clubhouse) and then it disintegrated to the point that by the time I left I could not find a toilet that was not piled high with toilet paper and refuse and of course the floors were soaked with urine. Now if I had a history of receiving exemplary customer service, I might be a bit more understand but I have had a lot of issues through the years with customer service at NYRA tracks (actually totally lack thereof) which now ranges from it taking over an hour for the waiter to bring a bottle of Champagne to the table, getting tickets which you ordered months in advance only a week prior to the event (with my name mispelled of course) to not having working toilets.

On the positive, I know make it a point when I review a track to analyze the bathrooms, both in cleanliness and availability.

Now some of my complaints may seem rather minor to some guys out there, but I have a lot of options on which tracks I can visit and get treated a lot better for less money.

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Yes, at first it was just an obscene wait for the women's bathroom (Third Floor Clubhouse) and then it disintegrated to the point that by the time I left I could not find a toilet that was not piled high with toilet paper and refuse and of course the floors were soaked with urine. Now if I had a history of receiving exemplary customer service, I might be a bit more understand but I have had a lot of issues through the years with customer service at NYRA tracks (actually totally lack thereof) which now ranges from it taking over an hour for the waiter to bring a bottle of Champagne to the table, getting tickets which you ordered months in advance only a week prior to the event (with my name mispelled of course) to not having working toilets.

On the positive, I know make it a point when I review a track to analyze the bathrooms, both in cleanliness and availability.

That's too bad. From a cleanliness standpoint, I don't think you'll beat Arlington Park!

miesque
05-18-2009, 09:32 AM
That's too bad. From a cleanliness standpoint, I don't think you'll beat Arlington Park!

Yes, its an immaculate, comfortable, modern track with all the amenities and their customer service is impeccable. After my experience at the Belmont Stakes last year when I walked into Arlington Park for the Million I was almost ready to bend down and kiss the marble floors that had been buffed to such a shine that you could see your reflection in them. I can attend the Arlington Million in absolute style in the Million Room for a lot less money then sweating my ass off at the Belmont Stakes and standing on line all day for bathrooms, not to mention food and beverages.

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes, its an immaculate, comfortable, modern track with all the amenities and their customer service is impeccable. I can attend the Arlington Million in absolute style in the Million Room for a lot less money then sweating my ass off at the Belmont Stakes and standing on line all day for bathrooms, not to mention food and beverages.

It really is an amazing facility, and the customer service is outstanding. Too bad they converted the racing surface, rendering the track unbettable (for me).

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Yes, its an immaculate, comfortable, modern track with all the amenities and their customer service is impeccable. After my experience at the Belmont Stakes last year when I walked into Arlington Park for the Million I was almost ready to bend down and kiss the marble floors that had been buffed to such a shine that you could see your reflection in them. I can attend the Arlington Million in absolute style in the Million Room for a lot less money then sweating my ass off at the Belmont Stakes and standing on line all day for bathrooms, not to mention food and beverages.

Forgot to mention on the Million Room... I brought some friends (friend and his wife) to the Arlington Million a few yrs ago. Neither had ever been to a track before, and both had negative pre-conceived notions of a racetrack. By the end of the day in the Million Room and touring the rest of the facility, they both were ready to comeback later in the meet and asked about next yr's Arlington Million. Two happy new customers - a rare track success story.

miesque
05-18-2009, 09:41 AM
It really is an amazing facility, and the customer service is outstanding. Too bad they converted the racing surface, rendering the track unbettable (for me).

They also have good food in their dining room (in addition to polite, attentive servers) and as well as free Wi-Fi. I have no idea why NYRA has such shitty overpriced food in their dining room.

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2009, 09:46 AM
They also have good food in their dining room (in addition to polite, attentive servers) and as well as free Wi-Fi. I have no idea why NYRA has such shitty overpriced food in their dining room.

I've never had food in the NYRA dining room, but the AP food was excellent. And you don't need to be in the Million Room for a good time - the food court on the main floor is amazing. What a track.

samyn on the green
05-18-2009, 05:13 PM
NYRA did address the issues from last years Belmont. (http://nyra.com/belmont/stories/April252009.shtml)

proximity
05-18-2009, 05:46 PM
$1 exacta, ALL/ALL..

:rolleyes: sounds to me like the machine tried to save you from yourself !!

samyn on the green
05-18-2009, 05:58 PM
So many times when I have a unsuccessful day at the windows the racing experience is soiled by the trauma of ripping tickets. :rolleyes: sounds to me like the machine tried to save you from yourself !!

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Although I never experienced any bathroom troubles last year, the woman's restroom situation has been getting worse as attendance has risen at the Belmont Stakes during the many triple crown attempts in recent years.

Women simply resort to going to the men's room, to the cheers and jeers of their male counterparts...:lol:

Obviously, with NYRA under legal and financial duress these past couple of years, improvements weren't at the top of their list...hopefully, this year is much smoother....

I've been going to the Belmont Stakes every single year since Risen Star, and I've never had a bad time...and every year is the same...I buy some seats on the second or third floor of the grandstand...nothing fancy....

And I have a great time...

Smarty Cide
05-18-2009, 06:51 PM
the day started out taking a cab to Pimlico walking down Rodgers St. a local told me as I walked by how he hates when us white people come to his town and F it up. He then said "I F-ing hate white people, yeah I said it!" So I basically laughed it off and didn't even acknowledge it because I have been coming to the Preakness for 5 years now and always have a great time, I surely didn't want to get into a fight and ruin my day. As I was walking in. I noticed how empty it was compared to past years, I thought maybe I was early. As the day went on I learned why nobody wanted to go and I wished I didn't. Here is why....

1. not allowing coolers in was a big mistake, it took most of the college crowd right out of it. College kids don't have 50 for the ticket then 100 for everything else, plus money to bet.

2. they advertised $3.50 for 16 oz beers. That was a lie. It was $3.50 for a 12 oz beer and $4.00 for a 16 oz can. All the past years I looked forward for the Black Eyed Susans so I can keep the souvenir glass, but they cheaped out on us and got plastic cups.

3. Not 1 person cared about the beach volleyball. If somebody wanted to watch volleyball they don't need to go to the racetrack. That was the biggest waist of space.

4. The concerts were terrible. They were so loud and annoying. Totally unnecessary... Buckcherry was OK , but the first band is some of the worst music I ever heard and the mainly younger crowd could care less about ZZ Top. No place for that at the Preakness.

5. Here is one of my biggest gripes: The people working the betting windows... Where did they find these people? I had to show half of them how to use the machine. I had to go to 4 windows to put in a pick 4 bet before someone knew how to do it, and at the 4th window the only reason they figured it out was because I had enough and just basically told the woman what buttons to push. Plus I made a 100 tri bet for the Preakness after it was over I noticed they didn't even give me the right horses I wanted... I would of lost anyway but still, c'mon....

All in all I must say if the Preakness remains like it was this year I will not be returning next year, I guess I'll make the trek to Kentucky for the Derby. Its really sad how one of my favorite days of the year was just ruined by a bunch of bad decisions on pimlico's part. Whoever did indeed make those decisions should be relieved of the duties ASAP, they are obviously incompetent. It was an ultimate disappoint to see such a great day go to waist. Don't fix whats not broken.

If pimlico goes belly up maybe they can move the race to Delaware Park or Monmouth Park... maybe thats the best we could wish for...

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Those beer prices are still a helluva bargain when compared to NY...Yankee Stadium is close to $8 if not more at this point, and I believe 16oz at Belmont last year was $7+

So, $3.50 for 12 or $4.00 for 16oz is a steal by comparison...

pktruckdriver
05-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Thank God I don't drink anymore.

Or do Triple Crown events in Person, maybe , and this is a big maybe, after hitting the Powerball or Mega Millions lottery, otherwise forget it, too much for too little, my opinion.
Patrick

proximity
05-18-2009, 07:07 PM
i would never go to ANY track or otb on a triple crown or breeder's cup day without a cell phone to be able to call in bets....... let alone the actual track where the event is being held !!

p.a. members having to rely on tellers to get a bet down? :confused:

InsideThePylons-MW
05-18-2009, 07:16 PM
So far....PA Preakness 2009 attendee's customer satisfaction results =

3 for 3 horrendous from posters who are not employed by a racetrack

1 for 1 "great" from posters who are employed by a racetrack

"to each their own" sounds like it came right out of the racetrack executive guide to customer service.

miesque
05-18-2009, 07:25 PM
i would never go to ANY track or otb on a triple crown or breeder's cup day without a cell phone to be able to call in bets....... let alone the actual track where the event is being held !!

p.a. members having to rely on tellers to get a bet down? :confused:

The 2005 Breeders Cup taught me that every single bet you make that could be a W2-G should be made over the phone at the track or online before heading to the track if its a major event day. It was truly absurd, I was first one to the window after the BC Turf was run and it took the entire space between the BC Turf and BC Classic for them to process my Trifecta W2-G (Thank God I had made my winning Superfecta bet on the same race one the Phone via BrisBet or else I never would have seen the BC Classic). I had two other friends cashing W2-G tickets and after the Classic and they said it was even worse and it was getting rather ugly with a lot of irate people in line. Now I understand if it take a while to cash out if they run out of cash and need to get more which has happened to me a few times, but just processing a W-2G should take 5 minutes, 10 minutes if you are rather slow and have to manually fill out the form.

westny
05-18-2009, 07:38 PM

To each their own.

But YOU are a "major domo". :jump:
Probably got press creds and a seat in the press box.

the little guy
05-18-2009, 08:16 PM
So far....PA Preakness 2009 attendee's customer satisfaction results =

3 for 3 horrendous from posters who are not employed by a racetrack

1 for 1 "great" from posters who are employed by a racetrack

"to each their own" sounds like it came right out of the racetrack executive guide to customer service.

So, because I work for NYRA, I loved my experience at a Magna track? That makes sense.

I'm also glad that the sample size was enough to convince you. Those kinds of mathematical deductions must work extremely well for you at the windows ( I know, I know, you're another guy on the internet that makes millions at the racetrack. I can certainly see how from this sample of deductive reasoning ).

slewis
05-18-2009, 09:06 PM
So, because I work for NYRA, I loved my experience at a Magna track? That makes sense.

I'm also glad that the sample size was enough to convince you. Those kinds of mathematical deductions must work extremely well for you at the windows ( I know, I know, you're another guy on the internet that makes millions at the racetrack. I can certainly see how from this sample of deductive reasoning ).

This is the most obvious inside bias I've seen since Jan 6th on the inner track!:lol:

the little guy
05-18-2009, 09:19 PM
This is the most obvious inside bias I've seen since Jan 6th on the inner track!:lol:

Yeah....he really got me.

turfnsport
05-18-2009, 09:31 PM
I have been to about 15 or 16 Preakness Days and have always had a great time.

Believe me, I have ragged on the MJC more than anyone over the years, Joe DeFrancis never spoke to me and usually just shot me a dirty look when he saw me in the members club.

I even had my press passes "mysteriously" not arrive for two years after a couple of unflattering comments about management, but I can't recall ever having a bad Preakness Day.

Many of tellers are temps, that is why I always used the machines on big days.

I have not gone the past couple of years, so maybe things have gone downhill.

turfnsport
05-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Okay, crap I forgot about the year the power went out and people were passing out from the heat.

People had vouchers stuck in machines.

The bathrooms were dark and smelly.

The lines for bottled water were really long.

I made it up to the jocks room to get a soda and the fire alarm went off.

There was limited power on that side of the building and a AC was working.

Some of us decided if there really was a fire it would be better meeting our maker with a little AC.

That was a really ugly day.

LRL Racing
05-18-2009, 09:57 PM
I was lucky enough to have inside seating and access to the horseman's area so it was a very enjoyable experience for my first visit on Friday and Saturday. I also learned long ago it is best to pay the money and get a good seat at the Ky. Derby, Breeder's Cup, Preakness but the main thing is to know what is available and where you would like to be. Coming in dumb you are relying on someone to take care of you and it seems people just don't do that but rather take advantage of someone's inexperience and lack of knowledge; so do your homework. Obviously after one bad experience one should learn from their mistakes. The teller's were very inexperienced which is understandable as they only work two days a year and have to hire anyone.

Derbyman32
05-18-2009, 11:01 PM
I was lucky enough to have inside seating and access to the horseman's area so it was a very enjoyable experience for my first visit on Friday and Saturday. I also learned long ago it is best to pay the money and get a good seat at the Ky. Derby, Breeder's Cup, Preakness but the main thing is to know what is available and where you would like to be. Coming in dumb you are relying on someone to take care of you and it seems people just don't do that but rather take advantage of someone's inexperience and lack of knowledge; so do your homework. Obviously after one bad experience one should learn from their mistakes. The teller's were very inexperienced which is understandable as they only work two days a year and have to hire anyone.

There used to be a shuttle bus that came to Churchill Downs on the Eve of the Preakness and they would pick up Churchill mutual clerks to go up there. I would think that other tracks would send in some people also. That would go a long way in helping helping. That way they would have experienced mutual clerks on the grounds.

InsideThePylons-MW
05-18-2009, 11:05 PM

Just trying to put it in perspective.

I know when I go to a track where I either know what I'm doing or get what I want, I always look at the experience in a way as if you didn't have juice, experience, or bias.

Speaking of sample sizes......In my lifetime of being at the track, owning and betting horses, whenever their is a legitimate gripe by a customer, it is almost 100% that anybody employed by a racetrack or racing orginization always comes to the defense of the racetrack as if they are brainwashed or somehow protecting the industry/employer at all costs. Almost like pro wrestlers always saying that wrestling is real. That's my sample size....not the 4 in this thread. Also your "to each their own" jab reeked of the nonsense that as a lifetime supporter of the industry makes me very upset.

Obviously you might be right about my deductive reasoning skills presently. I would have needed to have the Derby super for a fin to get even for the last 6 months.

the little guy
05-18-2009, 11:51 PM
I imagine the vast majority of people that read " to each their own " know exactly how it was meant. Some people are happy with a certain situation and others are not. It was unfair of you to suggest I meant otherwise.

I have been going to the Preakness for more than a few years, most of them years that I was not employed in racing, and I always have had a good time. Of course Pimlico isn't a beautiful place, that goes without saying, but I have always found it easy to navigate, easy to bet, and easy to get food and drink. I have plenty of friends in Baltimore who go, as well as plenty of racing friends who also attend, thus my time there is enjoyable. I don't need to apologize for this.

Cratos
05-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Okay, crap I forgot about the year the power went out and people were passing out from the heat.

People had vouchers stuck in machines.

The bathrooms were dark and smelly.

The lines for bottled water were really long.

I made it up to the jocks room to get a soda and the fire alarm went off.

There was limited power on that side of the building and a AC was working.

Some of us decided if there really was a fire it would be better meeting our maker with a little AC.

That was a really ugly day.

That was in 1999 and it wasn't a good day at old Hilltop

InsideThePylons-MW
05-19-2009, 12:10 AM
I imagine the vast majority of people that read " to each their own " know exactly how it was meant. Some people are happy with a certain situation and others are not. It was unfair of you to suggest I meant otherwise.

Poster who has never been before comes on here complaining about his Preakness experience.

You post that you've been 8 out 10 years and always had a great time. So you have course knowledge, many people you know in industry and basically a better chance of navigating your way around Pimlico than 99.99% of the people in attendance, let alone a guy who has never been.

Then after that, you say "to each their own".....now how am I suppose to take the meaning of it?

Like I said before, this is the typical response I have seen my entire life from people in the industry who defend everything about it even if it's wrong and obvious that there might be a problem.

My question to you is....why did you have to say "to each their own"

the little guy
05-19-2009, 12:17 AM
My question to you is....why did you have to say "to each their own"

As a way of saying that I respect that someone else could experience the same event that I did and yet come away with a completely different feeling.

Only somebody trying to take an unfair shot, as you are continuing to do, would have seen it the way you have chosen to.

InsideThePylons-MW
05-19-2009, 12:27 AM
As a way of saying that I respect that someone else could experience the same event that I did and yet come away with a completely different feeling.

Only somebody trying to take an unfair shot, as you are continuing to do, would have seen it the way you have chosen to.

That's fine. I hope you can see that it obviously can be taken the way I see it too.

As for taking shots, I watched your video and now I'm an expert too. ;)

the little guy
05-19-2009, 12:33 AM
That's fine. I hope you can see that it obviously can be taken the way I see it too.

As for taking shots, I watched your video and now I'm an expert too. ;)

I see that you made that determination. I don't know how you did it however. But I have an idea why.

I do not have a video.

turfnsport
05-19-2009, 12:47 AM
I see that you made that determination. I don't know how you did it however. But I have an idea why.

I do not have a video.

I think he is talking about this one.

I have been watching a lot of them since the "Sterling" thread started.

http://blogs.dixcdn.com/leftofcybercenter/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/twizone.jpg

eastie
05-19-2009, 08:46 AM

how True. No one would even dare throw a loser on the floor it's so immaculate. Spiffy shines on everyone's shoes, fresh creases in their pants. I was in shock when i went there for the first time.

miesque
05-19-2009, 09:06 AM
how True. No one would even dare throw a loser on the floor it's so immaculate. Spiffy shines on everyone's shoes, fresh creases in their pants. I was in shock when i went there for the first time.

Thats just it, there is a level of attention to detail at Arlington Park that is sorely lacking at most tracks and its event not only from the moment you walk onto the grounds, but from the moment you doing something as simple as ordering tickets. Its a professionally run track which is a result of leadership at the track because that is where customer service starts. Lack of decent customer service is a direct reflection of poor management at the top because attention to detail and proper execution start at the top and trickle on down through the organization. Your tickets arrive well in advance (I got my Arlington Million tickets a month ago and the race is in August) and they are in nice envelope within the mailing envelope (which has both my first and last name spelled properly) with a nice white cardstock envelope with Arlington Park embossed on the front flap and the tickets are beautiful with a picture of the prior year's winner along with a nice letter and list of policies (such as the fact that smoking is prohibited indoors :jump: ) and dress code for the Million Room (which by the way, I think there needs to be more dress codes at tracks, not less). Now ordering and receiving tickets are just one small part of the racetrack experience but, I brought it up as an example even thought its a somewhat small thing because its something that does make a difference and it really is the small things that make a difference between an mediocre or average experience and a great experience. Anyone in track management that does not appreciate that distinction needs to go, because its one of the reasons people would rather go to Vegas or a casino then a track.

1st time lasix
05-19-2009, 10:27 AM
I was lucky enough to have inside seating and access to the horseman's area so it was a very enjoyable experience for my first visit on Friday and Saturday. I also learned long ago it is best to pay the money and get a good seat at the Ky. Derby, Breeder's Cup, Preakness but the main thing is to know what is available and where you would like to be. Coming in dumb you are relying on someone to take care of you and it seems people just don't do that but rather take advantage of someone's inexperience and lack of knowledge; so do your homework. Obviously after one bad experience one should learn from their mistakes. The teller's were very inexperienced which is understandable as they only work two days a year and have to hire anyone. excellent advice:ThmbUp:

cj's dad
05-19-2009, 10:38 AM
A word or two about them:

They are brought in the week before the Preakness and are trained en masse. Some come from temp agencies, some from the neighborhood and some are just walk ins who do this year to year. For the most part the good tellers(regulars) are moved to the higher priced areas. Many of the better tellers are temporarily made managers but they simply cannot make up for the lack of experience and/or intelligence of the newbies.

I should have mentioned this pre-Preakness, but it is always better to use the ATM's during Preakness week.

The Hawk
05-19-2009, 10:04 PM
A word or two about them:

They are brought in the week before the Preakness and are trained en masse. Some come from temp agencies, some from the neighborhood and some are just walk ins who do this year to year. For the most part the good tellers(regulars) are moved to the higher priced areas. Many of the better tellers are temporarily made managers but they simply cannot make up for the lack of experience and/or intelligence of the newbies.

I should have mentioned this pre-Preakness, but it is always better to use the ATM's during Preakness week.

Not to defend Pimlico, but the same exact situation exists at Churchill for the Derby. Good help is very hard to find. And for those of you who simply suggest using self-service terminals, they're even tougher to find than a good teller. There are NONE in the grandstand, handful of spots in the clubhouse. Keep that in mind when considering your Derby trip, it's not an upgrade over the Preakness in that regard.

sandpit
05-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Thats just it, there is a level of attention to detail at Arlington Park that is sorely lacking at most tracks and its event not only from the moment you walk onto the grounds, but from the moment you doing something as simple as ordering tickets. Its a professionally run track which is a result of leadership at the track because that is where customer service starts. Lack of decent customer service is a direct reflection of poor management at the top because attention to detail and proper execution start at the top and trickle on down through the organization. Your tickets arrive well in advance (I got my Arlington Million tickets a month ago and the race is in August) and they are in nice envelope within the mailing envelope (which has both my first and last name spelled properly) with a nice white cardstock envelope with Arlington Park embossed on the front flap and the tickets are beautiful with a picture of the prior year's winner along with a nice letter and list of policies (such as the fact that smoking is prohibited indoors :jump: ) and dress code for the Million Room (which by the way, I think there needs to be more dress codes at tracks, not less). Now ordering and receiving tickets are just one small part of the racetrack experience but, I brought it up as an example even thought its a somewhat small thing because its something that does make a difference and it really is the small things that make a difference between an mediocre or average experience and a great experience. Anyone in track management that does not appreciate that distinction needs to go, because its one of the reasons people would rather go to Vegas or a casino then a track.

Agree wholeheartedly about Arlington; and Million Day is just a fun experience all the way around, with 3 Grade I's, usually a good group of Euros in the races.

On the other hand, what is astounding is that how the customer service there can be so good and so piss poor at the other CDI run tracks. Maybe Mr. D. can extend his reach some and whip them into shape.