PDA

View Full Version : DRF Strikes out AGIAN

Tom
04-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Boy, just wehn you think DRF has gotten thier act together, they just sink to new levels of stupidity.
Time to renew my sub to Sim Weekly - but they don't list the prcies for firt class delivery. Only noramal, which is I believe, pony express, or Airborn Ground, which is mucho-bucks.
They have a statement on the bill to call this 800 number for the first class rates. So I call, and guess what , they are just kidding - there is no first class delvivery option anymore. So your choices are now get you charts 2-3 weeks after they races are run of pay $156 a year for the paper - so late it will not be of any use at all for many races anymore, or pay $394 a year to get the same paper, but in time to have any value.
DRF, where is your mind? Right now, at first class, the paper is here by Thursday-Friday following the races, so it pleanty early enough to be of use for the weekend races. Why drop the most logical option you have?
The way I figure it, I am now going to save $1344 a year - by not re-uping my subscription, and since I won't be doing my Beyer variants anymore, there is no sense in paying $99 a month for unlimited DRF past performances. Time to dump this old rag once and for all. They just don't have a clue and I doubt they ever will. Their customers are just not important to them.
Hey DRF, you are supposed to strive for continuous improvment, not diappointment.
Truly amazing.

andicap
05-01-2003, 10:00 AM
You don't have a store near you that sells it?
If not, ask Marc at DRF to set you up and if you have a store that sells the Form itself it can usually get the Simul Weekly. That's what I did and now I have a store close to me where I pick it up every Wednesday.

Tom
05-01-2003, 07:16 PM
Lucky anyone even carries a form these days. Closed place is 30 miles away - downtown Rochester. Not a trip I want to make every week. Although there is a Dinasour Barbeque place right on the corner....hmmmm.
Just seems to me to be ridiculous decision to favor premium shipping over first class mail when one is so very much more expensive and the difference in delivery times is 2-3 days tops, and always before the weekend rolls around.
No wonder they can only sell so a limited number of printed copies - must be Airboorn is a DRF partner
:rolleyes:
Besides, I have tried to ask for help from DRF before and found them to be totally lacking in customer service or support. I would probably have more luck asking Amazin to pick on up for me every week <G>

freeneasy
05-01-2003, 09:12 PM
wish i knew how to help ya tom. and i think all mr. amazin would help you do is set your head on fire

plainolebill
05-01-2003, 09:19 PM
Tom, I get the weekly via 2nd class mail and I typically get the thing in the mail three days after the cover date. Got the April 26th issue on the 29th, with charts up through the 20th. The news is always a little stale - I'll get the Derby issue next tuesday but the news is just fluff anyhow, I get the charts in a fairly timely manner, very seldom have a trainer turn a horse around before I have the charts in my hand. Just thought I'd give my experience with the standard delivery.

Bill

Tom
05-01-2003, 09:36 PM
Your second class osunds just like what I am getting now with first class. I guess I better chack and see if I am getting it 1st or 2nd...if it is second, then DRF owes me money, 'cause I paid for 1st. Thanks.

linrom1
05-01-2003, 10:05 PM
Why don't you call the Post Office in your area and inquire about first, and second class delivery options for newsprint. Could be there is really no difference where it's coming from, or maybe once in a while it goes by boat.

andicap
05-01-2003, 10:19 PM
Could take longer because you're so far in the boonies, Tom.
Simulcast Weekly is not a mass market pub, probably not set up to serve rural folk as well as those closer to population centers like myself.
Or I could be wrong.

lousycapper
05-02-2003, 01:45 AM
why don't you use the Equibase charts off of the I-Net? They are the primary source for all racing data. They are free and posted within a short time after the races are run. If you have programming skills you can parse out the items you want. Just a thought...

-L.C.

Tom
05-02-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by andicap
Could take longer because you're so far in the boonies, Tom.
Simulcast Weekly is not a mass market pub, probably not set up to serve rural folk as well as those closer to population centers like myself.
Or I could be wrong.

Rochester is hardly country-bumpkin, andi. <G>
We got runnin water and 'lectricity ta boot out here :eek:
Why, my neighor even has a SEE-ment pond!:rolleyes:

freeneasy
05-02-2003, 01:05 PM
oh yeah, well i see your dog and raise my pig, you call'n or rais'n

andicap
05-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Tom@HTR
Rochester is hardly country-bumpkin, andi. <G>
We got runnin water and 'lectricity ta boot out here :eek:
Why, my neighor even has a SEE-ment pond!:rolleyes:

Yes, but you said you were 30 MILES from Rochester.
That's the stix. (You go 30 miles from NYC and you'd be in some rural places too!)

(Rochester has a Triple-A baseball team, so I know it is hardly hicks-ville.)

Tom
05-02-2003, 06:42 PM
Yeah, we have some fields around here. But no bears.
Well, not many :eek: :eek: