PDA

View Full Version : Arapahoe Park 2009...simulcast signal...

craigbraddick
05-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Hi People!

I am going to be calling and tv presenting at Arapahoe Park whose meeting opens next Saturday. Track is looking in good conditions and there are already many horses here with more to come.

I write to invite feedback on our broadcasting effort this year. A few of the things we are looking to try will include:

1. A paddock preview as opposed to having a talking head (me) on camera. I think people would get more out of looking at the horses in the paddock and discussing their form rather than a guy in a studio.

2. Keeping the odds on the screen right until the off time.

3. As many people are watching online, I will try to mention if a horse went down to the start well, is sweating up, etc.

4. We will have a nightly review show on Altitude TV.

Please let me know what I can do to try and help you guys enjoy our signal more. With many people watching online, I would be especially interested to hear what info and presentation would be of help to them.

Either reply here or email me: britishracecaller@gmail.com

Thanks

Craig.

stu
05-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Craig,

Aurora is a fun place to spend the summer. I will miss not being there this year.

A suggestion for the paddock show - Interview your local paceadvantage member -- Chris (Cbedo)

Best of luck,
Stu

CBedo
05-17-2009, 02:31 PM
suggestion for the paddock show - Interview your local paceadvantage member -- Chris (Cbedo)

Stu
Interviewing me is the quickest way to lose viewers. I have a face for radio!

Craig, welcome and thanks! I really appreciate you guys actually thinking of what the bettor might want--that's not always the case in this industry unfortunately. It's good to see someone making an effort to improve their simulcast product. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

I look forward to getting out to the track soon. I always try to bring a couple groups of friends out there every summer; usually, most of them have never been to the horse races before. It's always makes me smile to see the looks on their faces when I get them down by the rail when the quarter horses come rumbling down the lane!

Good luck with the upcoming meet.

NatteringNeighBob
05-17-2009, 04:12 PM
It is encouraging to see a racetrack considering horseplayer's interests, so I don't want to be too negative in this post. However, I think it important to point out that ARP has very high takeouts. The 18.5% WPS and 25% Exacta rake are particularly high.

The HANA Track Rating Spreadsheet (http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/hanatrackratingsbyoverallscore.html) gives Arapahoe Park a D- rating (67th of 71 tracks rated). Takeout should not be the only factor considered in deciding which track to wager on, but the higher the take the harder it is to show a profit. So, I think it is important to point out that anyone betting on ARP will have a strong headwind in the form of higher than average takeouts.

NTamm1215
05-17-2009, 07:53 PM
It is encouraging to see a racetrack considering horseplayer's interests, so I don't want to be too negative in this post. However, I think it important to point out that ARP has very high takeouts. The 18.5% WPS and 25% Exacta rake are particularly high.

The HANA Track Rating Spreadsheet (http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/hanatrackratingsbyoverallscore.html) gives Arapahoe Park a D- rating (67th of 71 tracks rated). Takeout should not be the only factor considered in deciding which track to wager on, but the higher the take the harder it is to show a profit. So, I think it is important to point out that anyone betting on ARP will have a strong headwind in the form of higher than average takeouts.

It would have been better if you started your post with "let me throw a wet blanket over your request for player feedback by bringing up something you have no control over."

The rating for your post is an F+.

NT

craigbraddick
05-17-2009, 08:00 PM
As NT says, I have no control over that but the things i spoke of in my opening post I do have some control over so lets try to keep this thread looking at what I can do to make Arp. a more pleasureable experience for you.

Craig

Saratoga_Mike
05-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi People!

I am going to be calling and tv presenting at Arapahoe Park whose meeting opens next Saturday. Track is looking in good conditions and there are already many horses here with more to come.

I write to invite feedback on our broadcasting effort this year. A few of the things we are looking to try will include:

1. A paddock preview as opposed to having a talking head (me) on camera. I think people would get more out of looking at the horses in the paddock and discussing their form rather than a guy in a studio.

3. As many people are watching online, I will try to mention if a horse went down to the start well, is sweating up, etc.

Please let me know what I can do to try and help you guys enjoy our signal more. With many people watching online, I would be especially interested to hear what info and presentation would be of help to them.

Thanks

Craig.

We now have two tracks genuinely looking for customer feedback: Arapahoe and Prairie Meadows. Best of luck to you Craig.

trying2win
05-17-2009, 09:31 PM

NNB:

I agree with your excellent post here about the takeouts being too high for the types of bets you listed for Arapahoe . If you or any other PA members want to read a very good article or two about excessive track takeouts, go to www.trackthieves.com (http://www.trackthieves.com)

Another thing, all of Arapahoe's gimmicks are too high in my opinion, not just the exactas. NNB, good for you for speaking out about the truth, The lefty liberals, and naysayers, etc. will challenge you with negative responses as we've already seen. On the positive side, there are a lot of wise, informed bettors here at PACE ADVANTAGE who will also speak out and agree with your post. Unfortunately, there are many milquetoast PA members who agree with you, but won't speak out because they are afraid of being criticized. I suspect they are more concerned about being liked than being respected.

As for Craig B...sorry Craig that's a lame excuse that "It's out of my control' re your response of the high takeouts at Arapahoe Park. It may be 'out of you control' because of your job description, but it's not 'out of your control' to pass on these comments to someone who can do something about it...i.e. some of your bosses at your track. And if they say 'it's out my control' as well...with excuses like':

1--We can't afford a cut in takeout rates, because it would reduce our revenues

2--We can't afford a cut in takeout rates, because so many 'x' amount of dollars would have to be bet to make up for the cut in percentage of the takeout rate.

3--It might be possible to cut the takeout rate, but our hands are tied because the state government won't cut their share of the takeout rate.

4. We can't lower the breakage part from dime breakage to nickel breakage, because that would lower our revenues. Besides, every other track in the USA follows dime breakage.

My answers to the lame excuses above are:

1. Wrong, the univeral law is 'GIVE AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE' not 'TAKE AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE'. Lower your track takeouts by at least 3 % in each category and watch your handle soar.

2. Probably with at least a 3 % reduction in takeout rates acrosss the board, parimutuel profits would exceed any temporary loss of revenue at Arapahoe you have now.

3. Show your state government the logic and common sense in items 1 and 2 above.

4. Wrong... read item 1 above again...similar scenario with lowered breakage rates. NYRA has nickel breakage.

--Craig B, you underestimate the power and knowledge of the bettor. They are getting better informed on things like track takeout issues, rebates, etc. through H.A.N.A. and websites like PACE ADVANTAGE.

--So stop making excuses and take action on what a lot of bettors want first...i.e. lower track takeouts, not better camera work at the walking rings. Lower trackouts, helps put more money in the pockets of your customers, creating happier customers who will spead the good word.

--A couple of positives forr Arapahoe...They offer free live video, and PTC customers can get rebates for betting on that track.

T2W
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
~"Persons with mediocre accomplishments are quick to explain why they haven't, why they don't, why they can't, and why they aren't"

--David J. Schwartz Ph. D.(a quote from the chapter on 'CURE YOURSELF OF EXCUSITIS, THE FAILURE DISEASE', from the excellent book entitled 'THE MAGIC OF THINKING BIG'.)

NTamm1215
05-17-2009, 09:39 PM
You guys have to be kidding me.

Somebody comes on who's excited about his new job and asks a completely legitimate question and before anyone's really given him anything insightful he gets hit with an onslaught of crap.

Sure, Craig B can probably go to his boss and say, "hey, this grassroots group that rated your track a D+ says our takeout is way too high. Maybe you can get in touch with someone at the state level and get it lowered...I mean when was the last time takeouts were lowered, right"

Yeah, that conversation should definitely occur on Day 1 of the new gig, Craig.

In all seriousness, I'll pay as much attention as I can to your feed in order to provide something positive. Something that has nothing to do with HANA ratings or takeout.

NT

Saratoga_Mike
05-17-2009, 09:41 PM
You guys have to be kidding me.

Somebody comes on who's excited about his new job and asks a completely legitimate question and before anyone's really given him anything insightful he gets hit with an onslaught of crap.

Sure, Craig B can probably go to his boss and say, "hey, this grassroots group that rated your track a D+ says our takeout is way too high. Maybe you can get in touch with someone at the state level and get it lowered...I mean when was the last time takeouts were lowered, right"

Yeah, that conversation should definitely occur on Day 1 of the new gig, Craig.

In all seriousness, I'll pay as much attention as I can to your feed in order to provide something positive. Something that has nothing to do with HANA ratings or takeout.

NT

Agreed. Craig, please don't be discouraged by the negative feedback here.

trying2win
05-17-2009, 10:00 PM
--I remember when STUBALL was asked a similar question here at PA about excessive high takeout when he was working for a racetrack (last year I believe it was)...STU replied something like "I'll talk to a few people and see what can do'. That's the kind of attitude I like to see.

--Sorry Craig B, if I sounded kind of harsh in my posts here on this topic. A lot of the regulars know I like to speak out on certain issues, and I come on strong a fair amount of the time. I like to 'rattle the chains' of some establishments, or people that suffer from 'traditionitis' that don't serve the wants and needs of horse players nowadays etc. I'm sure you're a fine fellow and will do a great job of announcing at Arapahoe Park this year. Welcome to PACE ADVANTAGE.

T2W

craigbraddick
05-17-2009, 11:07 PM
T2W:

Thanks for your comments. It's not an excuse when I see it is beyond my control. I arrived at the race track for the first time yesterday. Never been to Colorado and never been to Arapahoe before, nor met any of the people or the racing officials of yet besides the GM.

My position has always been that the Announcer is as much a Customer Service Representative as they are anything else. In that role, I can do what I can to firstly make the track as appealing as possible to bettors through the efforts of our broadcast team and secondly, do the best job I possibly can as an Announcer/TV Host/Paddock Commentator for not only the people at the track (who, lets face it, have no choice but to hear me!) but equally as important, the people online and in betting parlors who DO have a choice of where to wager and who to listen too.

I am not the kind of guy who turns up 60 mins to post time, learns the colors on the fly and then just bluffs my way through. I spend 4-5 hours a day doing prep work before I go on air and every morning (as I live at the track) I can be found with the clockers looking for horses who are training well, so hopefully I can pass on this info to bettors who decide they like betting at Arp.

The sole reason for me getting here a week before the race meet starts is so I can familiarise myself with the track, the view from the Announcing Booth, get to know the TV people, learn what cameras they use in every race and then, so I can make sure I cover the horses in a way that makes sense to the television viewer and discuss with management the running order and format of our programs.

Now, if you still think I underestimate the importance of the bettor, nothing I can do will change your mind. The whole purpose of this thread is to try and accomodate the bettor and hopefully I can gear our presentation to be more bettor friendly.

I apologize for the length of post but wanted to make my position clear in response to your post. I will leave you with this thought: I have considered joining HANA. In fact, I think HANA could do some good at even helping raise the standard of Announcing (but thats for another thread) but I am less likely to join when my efforts to try and accomodate bettors by listening to them is met by critcism (justified or otherwise) that is not in my sphere of influence.

Craig.

Saratoga_Mike
05-17-2009, 11:11 PM
While I do care about the takeout level in various states, I'm more impressed by this gentleman's (Craig's) professionalism and dedication. If they offer wagering on Arapahoe in Philly, I will make a few bets next week just to support Craig's new position.

fmolf
05-17-2009, 11:20 PM
T2W:

Thanks for your comments. It's not an excuse when I see it is beyond my control. I arrived at the race track for the first time yesterday. Never been to Colorado and never been to Arapahoe before, nor met any of the people or the racing officials of yet besides the GM.

My position has always been that the Announcer is as much a Customer Service Representative as they are anything else. In that role, I can do what I can to firstly make the track as appealing as possible to bettors through the efforts of our broadcast team and secondly, do the best job I possibly can as an Announcer/TV Host/Paddock Commentator for not only the people at the track (who, lets face it, have no choice but to hear me!) but equally as important, the people online and in betting parlors who DO have a choice of where to wager and who to listen too.

I am not the kind of guy who turns up 60 mins to post time, learns the colors on the fly and then just bluffs my way through. I spend 4-5 hours a day doing prep work before I go on air and every morning (as I live at the track) I can be found with the clockers looking for horses who are training well, so hopefully I can pass on this info to bettors who decide they like betting at Arp.

The sole reason for me getting here a week before the race meet starts is so I can familiarise myself with the track, the view from the Announcing Booth, get to know the TV people, learn what cameras they use in every race and then, so I can make sure I cover the horses in a way that makes sense to the television viewer and discuss with management the running order and format of our programs.

Now, if you still think I underestimate the importance of the bettor, nothing I can do will change your mind. The whole purpose of this thread is to try and accomodate the bettor and hopefully I can gear our presentation to be more bettor friendly.

I apologize for the length of post but wanted to make my position clear in response to your post. I will leave you with this thought: I have considered joining HANA. In fact, I think HANA could do some good at even helping raise the standard of Announcing (but thats for another thread) but I am less likely to join when my efforts to try and accomodate bettors by listening to them is met by critcism (justified or otherwise) that is not in my sphere of influence.

Craig.
i think it is highly commendable that you are trying to do something positive for the bettors within the framework of the job you were hired to do!grousing about takeout rates is a sure way to not have your contract renewed..

Relwob Owner
05-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Hi People!

Thanks

Craig.

Craig,

Good to hear from you. Thanks for reaching out to everyone and good luck at the meet. Let me know if/when you will be venturing back to CT!

jballscalls
05-17-2009, 11:41 PM
i think it is highly commendable that you are trying to do something positive for the bettors within the framework of the job you were hired to do!grousing about takeout rates is a sure way to not have your contract renewed..

Craig could not agree with this statement more. The last thing any GM or anybody wants to hear from their ANNOUNCER is his opinion on takeout rates and that the track is charging too much.

Most GM's want their announcer to go upstairs and call the races, have fun and be informative and entertaining. Your best option is to stay out of their hair. If they ASK for your opinion on matters such as takeout, feel free to respond, but they wont, and you shouldnt bring it up to them.

I'm shocked that people would try to steer a guy just breaking into his career here in the states, to further their agenda, no matter how noble it is and risk his possible future employment.

UNBELIEVABLE

And as far as your racecalls and paddock preview show, just keep trying to improve everyday, you'll do great there.

DeanT
05-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Craig,

Excellent post. More and more of you guys are asking for feedback and that is never a bad thing. Simo wagering, as you allude, is certainly important. I love watching feeds where many of the things you mention are handled for bettors.

Good luck this meet.

D
PS: The odds on the screen right until off time has been tried by a couple harness tracks and bettors seem to really like it.

fmolf
05-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Craig could not agree with this statement more. The last thing any GM or anybody wants to hear from their ANNOUNCER is his opinion on takeout rates and that the track is charging too much.

Most GM's want their announcer to go upstairs and call the races, have fun and be informative and entertaining. Your best option is to stay out of their hair. If they ASK for your opinion on matters such as takeout, feel free to respond, but they wont, and you shouldnt bring it up to them.

I'm shocked that people would try to steer a guy just breaking into his career here in the states, to further their agenda, no matter how noble it is and risk his possible future employment.

UNBELIEVABLE

And as far as your racecalls and paddock preview show, just keep trying to improve everyday, you'll do great there.i hope i am able to see his work on the internet because i do not believe i have altitude tv....i do 90% of my betting at the racetrack(nyra)and i have never seen them carry arapahoe....good luck craig!

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2009, 02:29 AM

UNBELIEVABLE

And as far as your racecalls and paddock preview show, just keep trying to improve everyday, you'll do great there.Have to agree with you here 100%. For what that's worth...

trying2win
05-18-2009, 02:53 AM
--I remember when STUBALL was asked a similar question here at PA about excessive high takeout when he was working for a racetrack (last year I believe it was)...STU replied something like "I'll talk to a few people and see what can do'. That's the kind of attitude I like to see.
T2W

Oops! My apologies to STU AND STUBALL. I got them confused in my post here. I should have mentioned in my post above, that STU was the one working for the racetrack, not STUBALL :blush:

T2W

trying2win
05-18-2009, 03:16 AM
The people who deserve criticism in the horse racing industry for excessive takeouts at some racetracks, are the racetrack executives, not the racing secretary or racetrack announcer. Even the state or provincial governments deserve criticism in this area too.

I've questioned some racetrack executives before in this area. The lamest excuse I've gotten so far, was from an executive at TURF PARADISE many years ago. I think it was in the era before ADWS became in vogue. I criticized him for the excessive track takeout of 20 % for STRAIGHT BETS. He defended that rate by decalaring something like:

'My simulcast partners like that rate"

In other words...'To heck with the bettors, let my racetrack partner executives rake in the most dollars for their coffers with our TURF PARADISE 20 % STRAIGHT BET takeout rate, minus their cost for carrying the TURF PARADISE' signal" They just love our 20 % takeout rate in this instance."

I suspect the guilty tracks that feature higher-than-average takeouts, all suffer from a 'scarcity mentality' and that lowering takeouts would lessen their revenues. A theory which intelligent bettors know is incorrect.

T2W

trying2win
05-18-2009, 03:33 AM
To Craig B:

Have fun calling races where horses have tonque-twisting names. If I remember correctly, there was one horse that ran at HASTINGS PARK a few years ago named SHOELESS SUE. I think some owners name a horse like that on purpose, all in the name of fun and a few laughs, just to see if a racetrack announcer will trip up when calling a race with their horse in it :).

I know there are several PA members who are racetrack announcers, and have had some fun trying to pronounce some of these tongue-twisting names in the past...especially once the race has started, and they're trying to rattle off the horses' names one after another in fairly quick order. It would be fun to hear of some of their stories in this area :D.

T2W

Relwob Owner
05-18-2009, 07:03 AM
NNB:

I agree with your excellent post here about the takeouts being too high for the types of bets you listed for Arapahoe . If you or any other PA members want to read a very good article or two about excessive track takeouts, go to www.trackthieves.com (http://www.trackthieves.com)

Another thing, all of Arapahoe's gimmicks are too high in my opinion, not just the exactas. NNB, good for you for speaking out about the truth, The lefty liberals, and naysayers, etc. will challenge you with negative responses as we've already seen. On the positive side, there are a lot of wise, informed bettors here at PACE ADVANTAGE who will also speak out and agree with your post. Unfortunately, there are many milquetoast PA members who agree with you, but won't speak out because they are afraid of being criticized. I suspect they are more concerned about being liked than being respected.

As for Craig B...sorry Craig that's a lame excuse that "It's out of my control' re your response of the high takeouts at Arapahoe Park. It may be 'out of you control' because of your job description, but it's not 'out of your control' to pass on these comments to someone who can do something about it...i.e. some of your bosses at your track. And if they say 'it's out my control' as well...with excuses like':

1--We can't afford a cut in takeout rates, because it would reduce our revenues

2--We can't afford a cut in takeout rates, because so many 'x' amount of dollars would have to be bet to make up for the cut in percentage of the takeout rate.

3--It might be possible to cut the takeout rate, but our hands are tied because the state government won't cut their share of the takeout rate.

4. We can't lower the breakage part from dime breakage to nickel breakage, because that would lower our revenues. Besides, every other track in the USA follows dime breakage.

My answers to the lame excuses above are:

1. Wrong, the univeral law is 'GIVE AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE' not 'TAKE AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE'. Lower your track takeouts by at least 3 % in each category and watch your handle soar.

2. Probably with at least a 3 % reduction in takeout rates acrosss the board, parimutuel profits would exceed any temporary loss of revenue at Arapahoe you have now.

3. Show your state government the logic and common sense in items 1 and 2 above.

4. Wrong... read item 1 above again...similar scenario with lowered breakage rates. NYRA has nickel breakage.

--Craig B, you underestimate the power and knowledge of the bettor. They are getting better informed on things like track takeout issues, rebates, etc. through H.A.N.A. and websites like PACE ADVANTAGE.

--So stop making excuses and take action on what a lot of bettors want first...i.e. lower track takeouts, not better camera work at the walking rings. Lower trackouts, helps put more money in the pockets of your customers, creating happier customers who will spead the good word.

--A couple of positives forr Arapahoe...They offer free live video, and PTC customers can get rebates for betting on that track.

T2W
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
~"Persons with mediocre accomplishments are quick to explain why they haven't, why they don't, why they can't, and why they aren't"

--David J. Schwartz Ph. D.(a quote from the chapter on 'CURE YOURSELF OF EXCUSITIS, THE FAILURE DISEASE', from the excellent book entitled 'THE MAGIC OF THINKING BIG'.)

You may be correct about everything in your post...however, I really dont see how you didnt think twice about posting it on this thread....an announcer at a track takes the time to directly contact this forum and look for feedback about things and then you turn it into a bitch seesion about topics he never even brought up....

I hope Craig doesnt let this negativity impact what seems to the awesome attitude that he has about things.....

trying2win
05-18-2009, 08:36 AM
You may be correct about everything in your post...however, I really dont see how you didnt think twice about posting it on this thread....an announcer at a track takes the time to directly contact this forum and look for feedback about things and then you turn it into a bitch seesion about topics he never even brought up....

I hope Craig doesnt let this negativity impact what seems to the awesome attitude that he has about things.....

RO:

I already said I was sorry to Craig B in a previous post. You need some glasses. You seem like the kind of guy, that If I say white, you'll say black. If I say right, you'll say wrong. If I say good, you'll say bad. And on and on... You deserve the IGNORE button.

T2W
----------------------------------------------------------------------
~"Avoid toxic people, they tend to drag you down. Associate with positive people, they give you a lift."

--Les Brown (author and motivator)

fmolf
05-18-2009, 08:49 AM
RO:

I already said I was sorry to Craig B in a previous post. You need some glasses. You seem like the kind of guy, that If I say white, you'll say black. If I say right, you'll say wrong. If I say good, you'll say bad. And on and on... You deserve the IGNORE button.

T2W
~"Avoid toxic people, they tend to drag you down. Associate with positive people, they give you a lift."

i saw that you apologized and changed your opinion....i understand your moaning though with takeout rates as high as they are in canada!

mountainman
05-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Good luck Craig. You have definitely improved as an annuncer. Take it from me, should your show pick up steam, you'll get plenty of fan feedback quite apart from online forums. I'm so swamped with calls and emails from viewers these days that it's becoming difficult to field them and still get my work done. Your ideas for Arp seem sound. In the end, however, your own success will come down to how much game you've got.

mountainman
05-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Good luck Craig. You have definitely improved as an annuncer. Take it from me, should your show pick up steam, you'll get plenty of fan feedback quite apart from online forums. I'm so swamped with calls and emails from viewers these days that it's becoming difficult to field them and still get my work done. Your ideas for Arp seem sound. In the end, however, your own success will come down to how much game you've got.

*announcer

Relwob Owner
05-18-2009, 11:48 AM
RO:

T2W

T2W,

I dont need glasses-I just missed your apology thats all. I think if you used a bit of common sense, that would have been clear.

As far as your analysis of my posts, you are free to think whatever you want and please use your ignore button. That is what it is there for and will keep you from having to resort to third grade expressions like "I think you need glasses." I do find it amazing that you can write that long of a post bitching about things and have a tag line that says "Associate with positive people"

Best of luck to you

lamboguy
05-18-2009, 12:00 PM
araphoe can go up to 90% takeout, it wouldn't bother me! its one of my favorite tracks to bet, and i very excited for the place to open up again this year, i got plenty of cadilac payments to make and that track sure helps out!!!!!

craigbraddick
05-18-2009, 07:23 PM
1. Arapahoe is available for watching on Youbet and will be at our website as well www.mihiracing.com If you are in any of the eleven states that carry Altitude TV (a regional sports network) you can also watch the highlight show. I believe betamerica among others you can gamble on Arp at but am not sure if you can watch racing through that site.

2. Thanks to Jason and Mark for their comments. mark, I think my calls have improved but this summer I see as a "coming of age' I will either prove to myself and others I can do this job well or I will not. But I think having my own gig and a Production staff who want to work with me and do a good job will be a huge help. And of course listening to our customers.

3. Tomorrow, I am having a TV Production Meeting where we will be preparing to impliment some of the things discussed in this thread. And I will update it accordingly. I have also started another thread looking for people who would like to have a go as a guest handicapper for the day on our preview show. if interested, see that thread!

Thanks

Craig.

Track Collector
05-18-2009, 10:25 PM
araphoe can go up to 90% takeout, it wouldn't bother me! its one of my favorite tracks to bet, and i very excited for the place to open up again this year, i got plenty of cadilac payments to make and that track sure helps out!!!!!

No disrespect intended here. I suspect you make a lot of small bets and spread them out over the different available pools, as the pool sizes at ArP are pretty small and anything much higher significantly dilutes your profitability.

Per a recent chart, the ArP average pool totals are:
WPS = 5564 (which makes the win pool around 3682).
Ex = 2533
Tri = 3726

Pool totals will certainly increase now that ArP has received some visability on the PA forum.

Track Collector
05-18-2009, 10:54 PM
araphoe can go up to 90% takeout, it wouldn't bother me!

While I know the figue of 90% was not intended to be taken at face value, any takeout increase (even though one like you receives a generous rebate) SHOULD bother you, as it can drastically impact your bottom line, and especially at places like ArP where the pools are tiny. Higher takeout means quicker tap-out of the less sophisticated money, which one needs in the pools in order to make a profit. (Remember the days prior to lotteries and slots?) Take their monies out of the pools and the payoffs of YOUR successful wagers will be less than they used to be. They could even be reduced to the point of unprofitability.

macguy
05-18-2009, 11:05 PM
This is too bad, I don't think I have ever seen Arapahoe offered in Canada.

craigbraddick
05-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Macguy:

If you can wager with Youbet in Canada, you can play and watch Arapahoe Park.

Craig

craigbraddick
05-18-2009, 11:16 PM
So, to try and get this thread back on topic, what else can I do with our TV coverage to accomodate horse players and be as bettor friendly possible in our appraoch to presenting our product?

Thanks

Craig

lamboguy
05-18-2009, 11:42 PM
While I know the figue of 90% was not intended to be taken at face value, any takeout increase (even though one like you receives a generous rebate) SHOULD bother you, as it can drastically impact your bottom line, and especially at places like ArP where the pools are tiny. Higher takeout means quicker tap-out of the less sophisticated money, which one needs in the pools in order to make a profit. (Remember the days prior to lotteries and slots?) Take their monies out of the pools and the payoffs of YOUR successful wagers will be less than they used to be. They could even be reduced to the point of unprofitability.

no, i actually meant what i said at face value. they pay $2.20 for their minimum payoff. they have so many mismatches in that place that 2.20 is huge for third spot betting.

trying2win
05-19-2009, 04:07 AM
--I know Canadian residents can join these ADWS...BETAMERICA.COM, PREMIERTURFCLUB.COM, and I believe LINK2BET.COM, but not YOUBET.COM. or DAYATHETRACK.COM

--I know PTC and LINK2BET pay rebates on every track they offer, but BA only offers rebates on certain ones.

--Arapahoe Park is on the track lists at both BET AMERICA and PREMIER TURF CLUB, but neither of these ADWS have Arapahoe on their racing calendars for the month of May. So, that's still a bit of a mystery there until further notice.

--Arapahoe Park is also on the track list at DAYATTHETRACK.COM, but same story as the ADWS in the previous paragraph. They don't have Arapahoe listed on their May racing calendar yet.

--I believe Arapahoe Park is also available for betting at LINK2BET.COM, but that'll be revealed on their betting menu for Arapahoe's opening race day this year.

--Perhaps Arapahoe Park is also available for betting at some other American ADWS that I don't know about.

--I don't see any link at the Arapahoe Park website for free live video yet, but Craig stated it will be there. In the past, Arapahoe Park had free live video of their races available at www.onlineracing.tv (http://www.onlineracing.tv) ...However, I don't know about this year yet.

--Perhaps Craig can check with the Arapahoe Park simulcast director to solve some of the myteries in this post, for the benefit of PA members and guests who might be interested in betting the races at this track.

T2W
------------------------------------------------------------------------
~" I bet on a horse at ten-to-one. It didn't come in until half-past five."

--Henny Youngman

craigbraddick
05-19-2009, 12:47 PM
T2W:

I will be on to that and will come back with some answers.

Those of you watching online, is the splitscreen a help or a hinderance?

Thanks

Craig

CBedo
05-19-2009, 03:19 PM
T2W:

I will be on to that and will come back with some answers.

Those of you watching online, is the splitscreen a help or a hinderance?

Thanks

Craig
I like the split screen to be able to see the whole field on on one screen (since usually my horses are well behind the leader's group, hehe).

the little guy
05-19-2009, 04:21 PM
We now have two tracks genuinely looking for customer feedback: Arapahoe and Prairie Meadows. Best of luck to you Craig.

I was going to let this go, but I just can't, and have to say this is unfair and there are a LOT of members here that know that. I really don't want to interfere with the main topic of this thread, but I hope posters here recognize that this is not the case, and like many members here already, can feel free to contact me anytime.

CBedo
05-19-2009, 05:03 PM
I am really having a hard time understanding how it can be so difficult to stay on topic and help Craig. Are we, as handicappers, so ADD, that we can't remember what the original point of this thread was? Son of a ...., now I'm off topic! :bang:

Craig, I went back and watched a few replays so I could get a few ideas to share with you. There are a few things that I would mention.
1) I don't know if the camera turrets need some oil/lubricant or what, but the camera shots (particularly on the backstretch) are really jerky. Instead of a smooth panning motion keeping the shot framed with the lead horse in the same spot relative to the screen, the horse seem to jump around from left to right as the cameraman struggles with the shot. It can be pretty annoying to watch I think.
2) I like the split screen to be able to see the whole field in the top screen, but many times the shot isn't zoomed in enough. It seems it would make sense that the lead horse would be near the left of the screen and trailing horse would be near the right, but usually in last year's replays, the camera had the horses framed more near the middle of the screen. The result of this is that the split screen horses are so small that sometimes it's hard to see which horses are which. Maybe the camera man feels he needs this much cushion due to the way the camera moves (issue 1)?
3) This last one is pretty nit-picky, but I'll mention it anyway. I'm of the opinion that while the horses are running, what I want to see is...the horses running. I'd rather have the horses take up more of the screen space and less of the other data. It's nice that in the numbers on the bottom of the screen showing running position also show odds and name, but I just think they're too big. They take away from the horses I thnk--others might disagree. I realize that you need a big Arapahoe logo in the top left to identify the simulcast, and I definitely like seeing the split times as they happen, but the running position data seems to be overkill to me.

Thanks for listening, and putting up with us here on this board.

markgoldie
05-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Hey Craig. Good luck from a new guy to the forum. Couple of things you no doubt have already thought about, but never hurts to go over. Some announcers are living in the past so to speak and think that the winner of the race is the only thing bettors are worried about. They have no concept of the gimmick players. And so they wax poetic about the ease with which a winner is dominating a field as he pulls away by 6, now 7 widening lengths in the very sharp performance. And he will go on to post a decisive score here, etc., etc.
Meanwhile, the guy who bets tri's and supers is agonizing over the other positions and may easily have lost track of who is in contention for third or fourth. But he's not getting much help from the announcer who's telling us all about the easy victor which we dutifully used on top and have in the mental bank already.
In fact, I've heard announcers completely disregard the underneath horses who are running back of second (and/or third). You get my point. In some cases, the third or fourth place horse is by FAR the most important to many of the wagering faithful. I'm sure you'll keep that in mind.
Another thing, if you have any input with the camera guys: Please tell them not to zero in on the winner at the expense of the other finishers. I have no idea in the world about the camera work at Arapahoe, but I'm mentioning this just in case. Also, the horses look better in the stretch drive if the camera angle is kept kind of low. The best example of a high camera angle which makes the horses look cheap is Philly Park. For years I've been saying that their horses are no cheaper than those at many other tracks but the high camera angle makes them look like a bunch of staggering slobs in the stretch drive. In my opinion, that camera angle (as well as a high takeout) cost the Philly track a lot of handle over the years. It just looks like their horses are cheaper than what they are. Compare to Pimlico, where the camera angle is low in the stretch drive. The horses look much better, even if they aren't. Other than that, a quick replay of the stretch drive is always appreciated. Switching it into slow motion when a placing is particularly close is also top-quality production, especially if the slo mo is switched off after following the win horses and re-switched on to show a tight finish for the fourth spot. The reason for the switch off and on is that if there is a ten-length gap between the win duel and the fourth-place duel, you sit there for seemingly an eternity watching empty track before getting to the last placing battle. Don't know if your production guys can do that but if they can, it's a mistake not to.
I should mention that horse players do not particularly like the whooping and celebrating that goes on with certain pre-race prognosticators. For example, the overly enthusiastic gentlemen who handle the racing show at River Downs. It probably never occurred to them that not ALL players backed the 4-5 shot which they so confidently explained before the running of the race was practically a lock to win. Or even if the player did, he may well have blown the exacta, tri, or super. This fact, however does not prevent them from crazed celebration, which can turn an already agonizing defeat into a near nightmare. My advice would be NOT to make pre-race selections on the show. The real bettors (the ones that make the handle) have their own selection process and information which they use. It's doubtful that they really need or want the input from a public handicapper. The best available handicapper in the employ of the track should be making the morning line anyway. However, if you're bound and determined to make selections, my advice would be low-profile it and for Heaven's sake, DON'T GLOAT when you picked a winner.

Once again, Good Luck! Mark

Peter Berry
05-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Some announcers are living in the past so to speak and think that the winner of the race is the only thing bettors are worried about. They have no concept of the gimmick players. And so they wax poetic about the ease with which a winner is dominating a field as he pulls away by 6, now 7 widening lengths in the very sharp performance. And he will go on to post a decisive score here, etc., etc.
Meanwhile, the guy who bets tri's and supers is agonizing over the other positions and may easily have lost track of who is in contention for third or fourth. But he's not getting much help from the announcer who's telling us all about the easy victor which we dutifully used on top and have in the mental bank already.
In fact, I've heard announcers completely disregard the underneath horses who are running back of second (and/or third). You get my point. In some cases, the third or fourth place horse is by FAR the most important to many.

Stop making so much sense.

craigbraddick
05-19-2009, 06:20 PM
T2W:

Here is the info I have been able to find out, today.

The track will definitely be available for wagering on Bet America and Premier Turf Club as well as dayatthetrack.com and linktobet.com

I have spoken to the Simulcast Director and informed him that some of the sites do not have us on their calendar for the month, thanks.

There will be a link from the Arp website later this week to watch the racing live. We will start an hour before post time with a handicapping show of which more in another post. However, this year it will be through Roberts Communications, I do not have the web addy for it, but the link will be on the website in time for racing and again there is no charge for this.

We also broadcast highlights on Altitude TV each night at 10pm MST which is available in eleven states.

You can also wager through Youbet and TVG.

Regards,

Craig

craigbraddick
05-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Cbedo:

I brought this issue up at our TV Production Meeting, today. For now we are going without the split screen but I will be working with the TV people to get as many wide angle shots as possible and less close up's.

Craig

craigbraddick
05-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Hi Mark:

Peter Berry said it all, you make so much sense, I have even printed off your post for the future.

Being raised with the UK style of racecalling, the things I try to concentrate on are making sure everyone gets a mention, (obviously in a 12 horse quarter horse race that may not happen) but certainly in the others and I try to observe and comment on the pace of the race. I really see each race as a three act play. I don't think every race should be called like The Derby and its important to try and put the race in context. Some people have said I have a more conversational style of racecalling than many US Announcers, which I think works for me. And I always try to call the first five home and will often call the entire finishing order.

We are working on camera angles tomorrow, but the Director and I are pretty much on the same page. There is a good camera position for the grandstand, which should enable us to look "deep" into the home stretch and still cover the leaders. At this complex, there is not really an option for a medium high camera, though we do have a rail cam for close ups in replays, etc. But I will certainly put forward your idea and see what we can work with within the set up we have.

I will certainly address the slo-mo issue on tight finishes. That should not be difficult to achieve and will speak with the Director about that tomorrow.

Regards,

Craig

craigbraddick
05-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Chris:

I am sending you an email in response to the one you sent to me.

To cover your points:

1. The Director here is new to the track but a very experienced Director and we will both keep an eye on the panning issue. Let me know what you think once we are racing.

2. This was an issue we discussed today and will be trying to get that right this year.

3. I actually agree with you to a large extent. I think the graphics are a little too large and blocky, but at the same time some people have told me they like that. I think this is one of those things no one will ever agree on!

Craig

trying2win
05-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Craig:

Thanks for digging up the info. :ThmbUp:

I mentioned earlier in this thread, that bettors who want to wager on the Arapahoe Park races and get a rebate, can do so at PREMIER TURF CLUB and LINK2BET. In addtion, for those leaning towards getting a rebate, they should check out the difference in rebate percentages, frequency of rebate payouts, track offerings, policies of eligibility, ease of deposits and withdrawals etc. with each of these ADWS before deciding. Just send them an e-mail and they'll get back to you.

I know link2bet is very prompt in answering emails. PTC used to be as well when Ian Meyers was there, but I don't know about the promptness of the current staff there.

T2W

markgoldie
05-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi Craig;

Just one quick thing on the slo-mo replays. I should have mentioned that if your production guys want to see the gold standard for this, look at Chicago racing, both t-bred and harness. Right now Arlingtion. It's up very fast, well before the numbers are posted by the judges.

facorsig
05-20-2009, 09:31 AM
I am looking forward to the meet. I have played in the past and find the track entertaining. My daddy always taught me to appreciate a good 'hoe.

eastie
05-20-2009, 09:41 AM
shots of the horses in the paddock, going out on the track. and warming up are all helpful. If you wanted to get really inventive you could start something new like having a camera on the guy who does the shoe report. It would be awesome to see the feet of the horses, especially when the track is off. I don't know if you guys have a turf course, but it would be a great tool for those races too. Another helpful thing from the track announcer would be to have a saying that you say at the same point before the race so that the bettors know they have to hurry or get shut out.

craigbraddick
05-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Eastie:

That is an excellent idea and I have checked into it. The problem is in the Racing Commission is very strict about who is allowed into the paddock area and a roving cameraman looking at horses feet when they are being saddled most likely would not meet eith their approval.

Some of my guests on the handicapping show, however, are trainers and I will certainly ask them about horses feet.

Regarding your other point, I always give a 5 minute, a 3 minute and a 1 minute warning. I usually start announcing as the horses first make their way towards the gate.

Craig.

craigbraddick
05-20-2009, 10:38 AM
We are discussing slo mo's today and the thoughts of you and others will be conveyed to see what we come up with.

I am just glad you and others have been kind enough to post.

Craig

craigbraddick
05-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Hi People!

The first two guest handicappers will be on SAturday, Trainer, Sandy Miller, and on Sunday, from the PA Forum, Corey, aka, Bread And Butter.

THanks to him we have 2 PA members doing the handicap show on Sunday at 12pm MST

Craig

craigbraddick
05-20-2009, 09:55 PM
12.00 MST "The Brits Picks!" - a 20 minute handicapping show with a guest handicapper (if you want to have a go, email me britishracecaller@gmail.com) As part of this, there will be a section where I pass on notes from the morning workouts with times of horses to look out for in future races at Arp. Hopefully, this will be of service to you all.

12.30 National Anthem and changes....

14 Minutes before each race we have "On The Rails" looking at the horses in the paddock, featuring the top picks.

We will also be accepting emails from people watching with questions or comments about our coverage and if time allows will read a few out on air. Email for that is craigb@mihiracing.com

Craig.

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2009, 03:37 AM
Hi People!

The first two guest handicappers will be on SAturday, Trainer, Sandy Miller, and on Sunday, from the PA Forum, Corey, aka, Bread And Butter.

THanks to him we have 2 PA members doing the handicap show on Sunday at 12pm MST

CraigThat's very cool Craig! I'll be sure and try and catch the broadcast!

jballscalls
05-21-2009, 11:26 AM
12.00 MST "The Brits Picks!" - a 20 minute handicapping show with a guest handicapper (if you want to have a go, email me britishracecaller@gmail.com) As part of this, there will be a section where I pass on notes from the morning workouts with times of horses to look out for in future races at Arp. Hopefully, this will be of service to you all.

12.30 National Anthem and changes....

14 Minutes before each race we have "On The Rails" looking at the horses in the paddock, featuring the top picks.

We will also be accepting emails from people watching with questions or comments about our coverage and if time allows will read a few out on air. Email for that is craigb@mihiracing.com

Craig.

Craig,

are you going to talk about takeout at all during the broadcast :lol: :lol:

sorry couldnt help myself.

we'll all be tuning in, go get em Craig!

Saratoga_Mike
05-21-2009, 10:37 PM
I was going to let this go, but I just can't, and have to say this is unfair and there are a LOT of members here that know that. I really don't want to interfere with the main topic of this thread, but I hope posters here recognize that this is not the case, and like many members here already, can feel free to contact me anytime.

Corrected post:

We now have THREE tracks genuinely interested in customer feedback.

jballscalls
05-22-2009, 01:54 AM
Corrected post:

We now have THREE tracks genuinely interested in customer feedback.

i think all of us that work at the racetracks love to get constructive feedback about our signals and our products, and even our individual jobs.

craigbraddick
05-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi People!

Want to follow in breadandbutters footsteps and guest handicap on Monday?

Craig

Saratoga_Mike
05-22-2009, 05:01 PM
i think all of us that work at the racetracks love to get constructive feedback about our signals and our products, and even our individual jobs.

When I first posted “we have two tracks genuinely interested in customer feedback,” I was specifically referencing the two gentlemen (from Prairie Meadows and Arapahoe) who came on this forum and proactively sought out feedback. I was not trying to slight anyone else, including Mr. Serling or yourself. I know Mr. Serling is associated with NYRA, but I don’t even know where you work. If I - and presumably others - knew, I'd gladly provide you with feedback, too.

BreadandButter
05-25-2009, 12:08 AM
I just wanted to thank Craig for having me on the Arapahoe handicapping show this afternoon. It was a fun time and I look forward to possibly joining Craig again this meet to give it another go.

The favorites did very well this afternoon - so well in fact that of the 9 races the only one race produced a winner above $6.80.

That occured in the $22k Inaugural Stakes which was won by Kid Rambo $23.40. Kid Rambo was a maiden until today's victory having most recently run in New Meixco. He was also a horse I didn't even include in the top three selections for that particular race. Regardless, I had a good time and on the day made a little money.

lamboguy
05-25-2009, 01:14 AM
what a great race track. i love the mixture of races, quarters, arabians, and thoroughbreds. congradulations on a great opening weekend.

Racetrackrick
06-08-2009, 03:48 AM
Hey Craig. Just wanted to say what an incredible job you have done since the beginning of the Arapahoe Park meet. Your personality is incredible, and so much fun to listen to. And your race calls have been spot on accurate. We are very lucky to have you!

I also wanted to commend you on the handling of the tornado on Sunday. You kept everyone calm, and that was no easy task considering we had a huge tornado almost directly overhead. I've lived in Colorado my whole life, and never got 1/4 of a mile away from a tornado. What a scary afternoon it was, but thankfully it all turned out ok.

Keep up the great work. Hopefully the weather will cooperate a little bit more from now on!

Rick

CBedo
06-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I was wondering how Craig did handling that. I was out there on Saturday and was up in the booth with him for one race. The wind was howling and his booth was actually shaking a bit. I can only imagine what it was like yesterday.

wisconsin
06-09-2009, 11:45 AM
I wanted to relay my experiance at Arp on Saturday. Craig invited me to come in and be a guest handicapper on his pre-race show. I flew in from Milwaukee for this geat opportunity. I must say, my wife and I were both impressed with Craig's hospitality. We watched him work two races from the announcer's booth, and CBedo is right, it was darn windy up there! How about that windy walk on the roof just to get to the press box?

The show was great, the racing was fun. Many thanks to Craig for making this one of the best "track collecting" trips of my life. Also, many thanks to Sue at the top of the grandsatnd for her hospitality as well, She kept out throats quenched all afternoon. A+ to all involved!

Craig, thanks for the DVD, all of my friends are envious and TVG should be calling me any minute now, LOL........

craigbraddick
06-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Hey Craig. Just wanted to say what an incredible job you have done since the beginning of the Arapahoe Park meet. Your personality is incredible, and so much fun to listen to. And your race calls have been spot on accurate. We are very lucky to have you!

I also wanted to commend you on the handling of the tornado on Sunday. You kept everyone calm, and that was no easy task considering we had a huge tornado almost directly overhead. I've lived in Colorado my whole life, and never got 1/4 of a mile away from a tornado. What a scary afternoon it was, but thankfully it all turned out ok.

Keep up the great work. Hopefully the weather will cooperate a little bit more from now on!

Rick

Thank you for your kind comments, Rick. I am glad you enjoy the calls and I hope to improve a little bit each time there is a race day.

Sunday was an experience I will never forget. I stayed on the roof talking to people long after everyone else had evacuated - just hoping I may something that would calm people. By the time I left the booth and walked across the roof, the funnel cloud seemed awfully close and was touching down every few seconds. I then went down to the basement where most people gathered and stood on the stairs and shouted to get everyones attention about the situation.

Thankfully the people were great and it all passed with minimal damage, though as I was speaking from the booth, my clipboard which I have on a stand on the window ledge disappeared with all my notes on it and was last seen heading to Western Kansas!

Many thanks.

Craig

wisconsin
06-09-2009, 09:59 PM
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/gumby_eXtreme/IMG_2093.jpg

this is the last known photo of Craig's Clipboard

Ian Meyers
06-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Craig:

I have enjoyed your racing this season as well. I even sharpened my Arabian handicapping in preparation for your meet and had a very large bet on Black Beaches last weekend. ARP is becoming one of my favorite small tracks. :)

bdownes
06-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Scary stuff Craig!

I googled tornados and Arapahoe Park and came across how a tornado wiped out Holly, CO where Shannon Rushton lived. He must have been cursing his bad luck again.

Everyone OK. How much damage to the mobile homes, grandstand, and barns?

CBedo
06-10-2009, 01:43 AM
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/gumby_eXtreme/IMG_2093.jpg

this is the last known photo of Craig's ClipboardNotice Craig's artistic coloring ability. He has a little rubber stamp that he stamps the program with and then colors it in with the colors of the silks.

jimmy m
06-10-2009, 02:18 PM
That really is great coloring of the silks Craig.Luke of course was the master.That is really cool nice view also.Peter does a great job too.You do not want to see my coloring its pretty messy,now that i see craigs on friday im going to color much nicer Jimmy.

lamboguy
06-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Craig:

I have enjoyed your racing this season as well. I even sharpened my Arabian handicapping in preparation for your meet and had a very large bet on Black Beaches last weekend. ARP is becoming one of my favorite small tracks. :)what a great track. and that was some kind of arabian, we will lee Black Beaches in a stake race later this summer in deleware hopefully

craigbraddick
06-10-2009, 03:45 PM
That really is great coloring of the silks Craig.Luke of course was the master.That is really cool nice view also.Peter does a great job too.You do not want to see my coloring its pretty messy,now that i see craigs on friday im going to color much nicer Jimmy.

Hi JimmyM!

I can assure you the coloring looks much better in that photo than it does in real life! If there are color changes, they are hasty scrawls and another little jockey appears colored in to the original which is blacked out!

Then add my unattractive scrawl for things like headgear, blinkers and identifying marks and it quickly becomes a mess of color as opposed to a well organized racing guide!

Cheers

Craig

jballscalls
06-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Craig,

sounds like your doing everything right there, keep it up!! and you surely win the best coloring award for announcers. most of us just use crayons or pencils and slap the colors on next to the name LOL

jballscalls
06-11-2009, 04:35 PM
When I first posted “we have two tracks genuinely interested in customer feedback,” I was specifically referencing the two gentlemen (from Prairie Meadows and Arapahoe) who came on this forum and proactively sought out feedback. I was not trying to slight anyone else, including Mr. Serling or yourself. I know Mr. Serling is associated with NYRA, but I don’t even know where you work. If I - and presumably others - knew, I'd gladly provide you with feedback, too.

no worries Mike, i think i've solicited advice about the tracks i've worked at (River Downs and Portland Meadows) on other sites, but never here. I didnt mean to come across like a butthead. I look forward to some possible feedback from you come september/october when we start at PM.

lamboguy
06-11-2009, 04:43 PM
i have a strong suggestion. you guys have a great product and run on weekends. i would suggest you switch one of your days to thursday and you will do alot more business and get a lot more exposure for your great venue.

Racetrackrick
07-12-2009, 05:11 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to Craig for taking my wife and I on a tour of the announcing booth and production studio at Arapahoe Park. As someone who has been attending the races for 40 years, it was really eye opening to see everything that goes into calling a days races. I'm sure very few people have a clue what goes on. Heck, I didn't!

It was also great to hear that you may be sticking around here for awhile. You definitely lend some credibility to the Arapahoe product that has been missing for quite awhile. Having a professional announcer of your calliber makes the whole experience of a "day at the races" much better for everyone involved.

I know there are bigger and better tracks out there, but for the local fans here, I sure hope we can keep you at Arapahoe for awhile. It wouldn't be the same without you!

Thanks again! :ThmbUp:

Rick

jonnielu
07-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Hi People!

Thanks

Craig.

Hey Craig,

It may be a radical change, but anybody that is actually watching the broadcast during warmups, wants to see whichever horses are working, more then those that are walking. Everybody wants to know if the favorite is just standing around, but, 15 seconds is enough to establish that. See if the cameras can follow the work more.

To get that handle going, tell management that they just need to put out some good information, if it differs from the ML and the track's capper. Just that much better, especially once the crowd see's that it is consistent.

Don't attach a personality to it, just sneak it out there anonymously, where people can get it. They will bet it, and when they win with it, they will bet more. While they tell you that it is not worth a damn.

ARP 1st 7/12/09 - #6,#2,#4 - Watch #3
ARP 2nd 7/12/09 - #5,#7,#2 - Watch #1
ARP 4th 7/12/09 - #5,#3,#10 - Watch #1
ARP 5th 7/12/09 - #2,#7,#4 - Watch #8
ARP 7th 7/12/09 - #10,#6,#8 Watch #11

It is also my belief that are several words and phrases that brit in America can easily capitalize on:

1. Extraordinary
2. Spot - on
3. Magnificent

Working some of those in, may knock the edge off of the nasal tone. :D

jdl

craigbraddick
07-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Rick!

Thanks for your kind comments. It was a pleasure having you and Sue come to visit. Now you know where I am, please stop by whenever you want.

Craig

craigbraddick
07-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi JDL!

Really great point about the horses working out, I will get on to that right away.

I like your idea of watching a horse and also try to put that in my tipsheet, "Honeybears Horses."

Often, when in the paddock or on the way to post I will make special mention of a horse who is not one of my picks but has impressed me in its demeanor and work out. In fact yesterday I picked one of those as my "Eyecatcher" 5 minutes before post time and mentioned it could beat the favorite. It came home in front at 10-1.

I have lived in the USA for many years now and I throw some britishisms into my race calls as well as some of my own phrases like:
"Better get the Rosary Beads out if you bet on XXXX because you are gonna need a miracle!"
"And XXXX is in another time zone!"
"XXXX hits warp speed."
"You could toss a diaper on them."
"XXXX will need the help of the TARDIS to win."
"THe land speed record is in no danger, here!"

IfI tried to inject too many Britishisms into my racecall I think it would sound fake. I just try to be me and leave the fake phraseology to others who come and go.

If you ever visit, please let me know and come up to the booth!

THanks

Craig.

PS: Never been called "nasal" before though!!!!!

jonnielu
07-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi JDL!

Really great point about the horses working out, I will get on to that right away.

I like your idea of watching a horse and also try to put that in my tipsheet, "Honeybears Horses."

IfI tried to inject too many Britishisms into my racecall I think it would sound fake. I just try to be me and leave the fake phraseology to others who come and go.

THanks

Craig.

Hey Craig,

I put them out on Twitter that way, and explain that it is not necessarily a top 3 and a question mark, sometimes the Watch horse is the fav. All 4 are threats to win. Between 5 and 3 MTP I send an update with a paddock star and a warmup star.

The first 3 are designed for 3X3X3 DD's - P3 & P4, and all 4 can be considered for WPS-EX-TRI-SUP with the physical update. It gives everybody, handicapper and non quite a lot of material to work with.

jdl

wisconsin
07-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Hi JDL!

Often, when in the paddock or on the way to post I will make special mention of a horse who is not one of my picks but has impressed me in its demeanor and work out. In fact yesterday I picked one of those as my "Eyecatcher" 5 minutes before post time and mentioned it could beat the favorite. It came home in front at 10-1.

I have lived in the USA for many years now and I throw some britishisms into my race calls as well as some of my own phrases like:
"Better get the Rosary Beads out if you bet on XXXX because you are gonna need a miracle!"
"And XXXX is in another time zone!"
"XXXX hits warp speed."
"You could toss a diaper on them."
"XXXX will need the help of the TARDIS to win."
"THe land speed record is in no danger, here!"

THanks

Craig.

Craig,

My favorite line I've heard was the day I visited you...during the last race you blurted out a classic about a far back horse: "he'll have to dial long distance from there" :lol:

Racetrackrick
07-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Craig,

My favorite line I've heard was the day I visited you...during the last race you blurted out a classic about a far back horse: "he'll have to dial long distance from there" :lol:

Yeah, that's a classic, but not as much as "If you bet on him, you better get out the rosary beads, because you'll need a miracle". I laughed out loud at that one!

jimmy m
07-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Doing well Craig ive been catching your Altitude show on direct tv do not lose that enthusiasim sorry if i misspelled that is a big word for me.Take care Jimmy M also great to here the Boomer back at Yavapai.

esimon
07-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Hello everyone. I wanted to pass along some pictures of Craig at work on the day I visited him in June. Like Racetrackrick, I was thrilled that Craig would take the time to provide me with a similar tour of the announcing booth and production studio at Arapahoe Park. The attached pictures are of Craig in the announcer's booth (sorry for the "white" window; I didn't bring a flash) and in the studio prior to the live broadcast of his raceday selections.

Like Racetrackrick and others on this forum who frequent the races at Arapahoe, I echo their sentiments that we are lucky to have Craig in Colorado!

Not sure how to add an image, but here it goes...

craigbraddick
07-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Eric!

Thanks for the photos. About the website, I have not forgotten about it. Right now I am putting my ducks in a row and should be ready to talk to you in a couple of weeks.

Regards,

Craig

esimon
07-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Fantastic about the website. I'd still love to do it. If I am at the races on Saturday I'll bring my flash; I'd like to try to get a picture where the window isn't overexposed.

Cheers!

esimon
07-18-2009, 11:00 AM
These are from July 17, 2009...

jballscalls
07-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Craig,

tell them you need a new coat of paint on the walls in the booth LOL