PDA

View Full Version : Right now I think there is room at the top for both Rachel and the Bird,

Derbyman32
05-17-2009, 11:35 AM
They both look to me like they are the best of the Crop!

Racing down the road will decide which one is better but right now I think we should be Thankful for Rachel and the Bird. The two of them are great for racing and this could be like Alydar and Affirmed - who was better? I doubt we all could agree on that,,, let along judging Rachel and the Bird after just one race against each other.

Lets enjoy it for what it is :jump: :jump: :jump:

ghostyapper
05-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I agree they are both good for racing. It's a shame so many are dismissing this as 2 horses nowhere near each other. I guess these are the same people that were singing the praises of bernardini and street sense being miles ahead of the rest.

That didn't turn out too well ;)

Derbyman32
05-17-2009, 01:00 PM
I agree they are both good for racing. It's a shame so many are dismissing this as 2 horses nowhere near each other. I guess these are the same people that were singing the praises of bernardini and street sense being miles ahead of the rest.

That didn't turn out too well ;)

Very true, we don't know what the future holds but I hope it turns out to be a great rivalry. I think racing would get a lot of publicity if they both continued in good health and racing the way they did yesterday.

bishlap
05-17-2009, 01:10 PM
forget it. rachel will be retired shortly, won't run in the belmont after a mystery injury (u decide) is detected... at least that will be the excuse. I'll lay even money she never runs again.

ryesteve
05-17-2009, 01:14 PM
forget it. rachel will be retired shortly, won't run in the belmont after a mystery injury (u decide) is detected... at least that will be the excuse. I'll lay even money she never runs again.This theory would make more sense if there was a $60 million stud syndication deal waiting for her. As it is, she can make more money racing than one of her yearlings would sell for, so I don't see the point.

cj
05-17-2009, 02:43 PM
forget it. rachel will be retired shortly, won't run in the belmont after a mystery injury (u decide) is detected... at least that will be the excuse. I'll lay even money she never runs again.

Most times, that is what happens, but I don't think Jackson spent that huge amount of money to win one race and retire her. It doesn't make any sense, even financially.

JustRalph
05-17-2009, 07:28 PM
yeah, but can you imagine what a foal out of Curlin is going to look like?

It's going to be a monster of the first order........were talking silver bullets to take it down

Is it too late to breed her for this year?

I would be chomping at the bit to see what kind of off spring she drops

DanG
05-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Assuming Quality Road can get his wheels back on I believe he belongs in this conversation. He is one serious racehorse imo.

toussaud
05-17-2009, 09:20 PM
yeah, but can you imagine what a foal out of Curlin is going to look like?

It's going to be a monster of the first order........were talking silver bullets to take it down

Is it too late to breed her for this year?

I would be chomping at the bit to see what kind of off spring she drops

it would be quite a site a site to behold to see curlin foal anything.

bishlap
05-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Assuming Quality Road can get his wheels back on I believe he belongs in this conversation. He is one serious racehorse imo.
agreed, but getting him back to peak form-which he was just hitting at time of injury- that will be tough. Too bad for JJ, an unassuming guy in a business filled w/ PHONIES!

bishlap
05-17-2009, 10:00 PM
it would be quite a site a site to behold to see curlin foal anything.
doesn't always work that way...secretariat and affirmed, both TC winners didn't come close to Seattle Slew (TC winner) or anywhere near Alydar. The big talk a few yrs ago was Rags to Riches being bred to Giants Causeway -- Hey, Halle Berry and Alicia Keys have unattractive moms -- we shall see what we shall see.

PaceAdvantage
05-17-2009, 11:58 PM
They both look to me like they are the best of the Crop!Actually, the best of the crop is probably sitting on the sidelines at the moment...

But yeah, if you're talking about those actually still running, then I have to agree.

Derbyman32
05-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Actually, the best of the crop is probably sitting on the sidelines at the moment...

But yeah, if you're talking about those actually still running, then I have to agree.

You are probably right there. I initially liked Quality Road a lot till he got hurt. I would have to put him up there with RA and MTB if he returns in good form. I wasn't as crazy about IWR but I can't fault people who loved him too.

Cratos
05-18-2009, 09:56 AM

Why not Dunkirk? He is well bred and has good connections. This horse have only 3 lifetime starts with one being in the “slop” at Churchill Downs.

the little guy
05-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Why not Dunkirk? He is well bred and has good connections. This horse have only 3 lifetime starts with one being in the “slop” at Churchill Downs.

He has four lifetime starts.

Right now he feels pretty tough in the Belmont if he runs.

DanG
05-18-2009, 10:14 AM
I was a huge fan even after his Florida Derby. I don’t like what I saw between the Florida Derby and in Kentucky with him physically. To be honest I got some bad information on his training at PMM. “Never looked better; carrying more flesh etc”…I didn’t see it in KY and if anything I thought he lost weight.

Agreed; when 100% he is very dangerous. I need to see the ‘light come on again with him. He’s had one of the compressed campaigns when the connections are always playing catch up and for every Curlin there are notebooks filled with animals that paid the price.

oddsmaven
05-18-2009, 10:25 AM

TLG,
I'm not dismissive of Dunkirk...maybe his Derby can be tossed due to the slop, but I'm curious if you agree with my feeling that Charitable Man could be very dangerous.

Also, I wasn't blown away as some are by MTB's Preakness...in my view it was ok but seemed like a pretty belated charge...I'd rather have a horse coming off a win like Charitable Man. (Rachel can win again IMO, but CM may be sharper right now).

Cratos
05-18-2009, 03:50 PM

My reference wasn’t that Dunkirk should run in the Belmont, but that he might be one of the better 3yos later this year given his breeding and connections.

the little guy
05-18-2009, 04:51 PM
My reference wasn’t that Dunkirk should run in the Belmont, but that he might be one of the better 3yos later this year given his breeding and connections.

Good to know.

My response to you was pointing out that Dunkirk has run four times.....not three times as you suggested.

the little guy
05-18-2009, 04:52 PM
TLG,
I'm not dismissive of Dunkirk...maybe his Derby can be tossed due to the slop, but I'm curious if you agree with my feeling that Charitable Man could be very dangerous.

Also, I wasn't blown away as some are by MTB's Preakness...in my view it was ok but seemed like a pretty belated charge...I'd rather have a horse coming off a win like Charitable Man. (Rachel can win again IMO, but CM may be sharper right now).

I don't have a strong opinion about Charitable Man but my best guess is that he's the wrong horse for the Belmont unless there is absolutely no other speed and he can gallop around the racetrack.