PDA

View Full Version : YOU MAKE THE CALL

Cholly
05-17-2009, 11:17 AM
The beauty of being on top is that you can (within reason) dictate the terms of engagement. Consider that your goal is a three-peat as COHOY (connections of HOY), and what you know you have is a nine furlong dirt horse.

Out of the question are the Belmont (irrelevant distance, plus the memory of Rags to Riches…to rags) and either the BC Distaff or Classic (irrelevant surface, plus the memory of Curlin’s debacle). At present, the race for HOY goes through you--you’re in the position to say, “Here’s where we’re gonna’ be—if you think you got the horse, show up and bring your running shoes”.

What three races would you map out as your campaign?

miesque
05-17-2009, 12:07 PM
What I personally would really, really like to see is Rachel Alexandra face Zenyatta and that would be one race that I would go well out of my way to see in person. Such a meeting would in all likelihood require Rachel Alexandra to stay in one piece until the early Fall (maybe late summer, it depends on when the connections want to take on her elders) and I know that based on recent history its not an automatic that a winner (or even a participant) of the TC races will be around in the Fall. I am hoping that Rachel Alexandra's Preakness will help give the Zenyatta connections that extra nudge to put Zenyatta in a spot that is actually challenging for her, not just potentially racing against Rachel Alexandra, but also making a much anticiapted foray against males in a major stakes race (such as perhaps the Pacific Classic).

MickJ26
05-17-2009, 03:07 PM
The beauty of being on top is that you can (within reason) dictate the terms of engagement. Consider that your goal is a three-peat as COHOY (connections of HOY), and what you know you have is a nine furlong dirt horse.

Out of the question are the Belmont (irrelevant distance, plus the memory of Rags to Riches…to rags) and either the BC Distaff or Classic (irrelevant surface, plus the memory of Curlin’s debacle). At present, the race for HOY goes through you--you’re in the position to say, “Here’s where we’re gonna’ be—if you think you got the horse, show up and bring your running shoes”.

1-Mother Goose
2-Coaching Club Oaks
3-Alabama

Since Rachel really hasn't anything else to prove, might as well keep her against her own gender and pad the bankroll and rack up the Grade 1's, just like Zenyatta did last year.

sonnyp
05-17-2009, 04:03 PM
1-Mother Goose
2-Coaching Club Oaks
3-Alabama

Since Rachel really hasn't anything else to prove, might as well keep her against her own gender and pad the bankroll and rack up the Grade 1's, just like Zenyatta did last year.

FINALLY !!! a voice of reason. thank you.

thespaah
05-17-2009, 04:26 PM

she skips the Belmont and goes after the Mother Goose 6/27 ( G II 9f vs fillies)
or she waits until 7/4 and goes after the boys again in the G II Dwyer at 9 panels. She then goes to the Go For Wand at SAR(8/2) and tries 3yo&up F&M at 9 furlongs.
Then the biggest test to her prowess as a champion horse, goes to the Travers on 8/29...
She then rests and of course the BC Distaff(ok Lady's whatever...Jeez)
Perhaps she beats colts twice in two major stakes(Preakness/Travers) that will be enough.
At the end of the day, I don't foresee this filly on the racetrack after 2009.
Of course if I am the one planning her route to stardom, the path I would take would be against her own gender.
She already proved she can beat colts. Now it's time for her to rip up the fily and mare ranks and call it a career.
I'd go to the Mother Goose, CCAA then the Go For Wand (Vs older) or save her for the Alabama. If the BC is on the docket then the race formerly known as the Distaff.

cj
05-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Haskell, Travers, JCGC. Running on synthetics would be a mistake.

Cholly
05-17-2009, 05:47 PM
My prediction:

Haskell (hello Quality Road)
Beldame (hello Zenyatta)
Falls City (last call for anyone who wants a shot at her)

If she runs the table, HOY honors are a foregone conclusion. If she wins any two of the three, she's got a huge shot.

Cholly
05-17-2009, 06:14 PM
My prediction:

Haskell (hello Quality Road)
Beldame (hello Zenyatta)
Falls City (last call for anyone who wants a shot at her)

If she runs the table, HOY honors are a foregone conclusion. If she wins any two of the three, she's got a huge shot.

Whoops--meant to make that last race the Clark Handicap. It's open to all ages and sexes. I know it's only a GII, but it's the right distance, the right track, and the right time.

thespaah
05-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Haskell, Travers, JCGC. Running on synthetics would be a mistake.
IMO the reason why the BC is at SA two stright years is because the NTRA wants to ram artificial surfaces down everyone's throat.

CincyHorseplayer
05-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Fleur De Lis vs Zenyatta

Travers

JCGC

I agree with CJ that synthetics won't do her any justice.

PaceAdvantage
05-17-2009, 11:10 PM
With the older division being such a joke at the moment, and with Jess Jackson being who he is, I don't see any reason why Rachel Alexandra does NOT go in the Belmont Stakes if she comes out of the Preakness in good shape.

A win in the Belmont Stakes virtually locks up Horse of the Year for her, in my opinion. How can a filly who wins 2/3 of the Triple Crown NOT be horse of the year?

It would take an exceptionally strong second-half of the year campaign by some other 3yo to knock HOY out of Jackson's hands should RA win the Belmont. And I just don't see that happening at the moment.

Saratoga_Mike
05-17-2009, 11:15 PM
With the older division being such a joke at the moment, and with Jess Jackson being who he is, I don't see any reason why Rachel Alexandra does NOT go in the Belmont Stakes if she comes out of the Preakness in good shape.

A win in the Belmont Stakes virtually locks up Horse of the Year for her, in my opinion. How can a filly who wins 2/3 of the Triple Crown NOT be horse of the year?

It would take an exceptionally strong second-half of the year campaign by some other 3yo to knock HOY out of Jackson's hands should RA win the Belmont. And I just don't see that happening at the moment.

You support affirmative action for horses? Why can't the best horse be named horse of the yr regardless of gender?

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2009, 01:09 AM
You support affirmative action for horses? Why can't the best horse be named horse of the yr regardless of gender?This reply has me completely lost. Come again?

Speed Figure
05-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Why would running on synthetics be a mistake? she does have a win on the surface. I just get the feeling that Zenyatta is not going to race again.

toussaud
05-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Belmont
Haskell
Then I'd pull a Charles Howard and enter into whatever race Zenyatta entered into
Maybe a prep leading up to the classic or distaff
And depending on if I beat zenyatta or not and how the classic stakes up, the classic or the ladies classic

v j stauffer
05-18-2009, 03:00 AM
Why would running on synthetics be a mistake? she does have a win on the surface. I just get the feeling that Zenyatta is not going to race again.

That feeling will change next Saturday.

fmolf
05-18-2009, 03:22 AM
Belmont
Haskell
Then I'd pull a Charles Howard and enter into whatever race Zenyatta entered into
Maybe a prep leading up to the classic or distaff
And depending on if I beat zenyatta or not and how the classic stakes up, the classic or the ladies classic
i think they would be wise to avoid mtb and there fore not run in the belmont...he was closing on her and only needed some extra ground..with a slower pace in the longer race he may lay closer to the lead... i would wait and run her in the haskell maybe or the mother goose then on to the spa for one race up there and then she rests.. i doubt jess jackson will run her on polycrap he hates the stuff!

Saratoga_Mike
05-18-2009, 08:55 AM
This reply has me completely lost. Come again?

Was completely joking with you. May not have been funny, but not sure why you were completely lost...

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Was completely joking with you. May not have been funny, but not sure why you were completely lost...I had no doubt you were joking...but I still don't get it...:lol:

Nikki1997
05-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Zenyatta is slated to run in the Milady on Sat. 23rd. Also, in that race will be her stablemate, Life Is Sweet.

Thought I'd add this, as well:

This notice is to inform you that one or more of your horses has worked out.
Zenyatta
Your Comment:

Date: May 15, 2009
Track: HOLLYWOOD PARK
Distance: Six Furlongs
Time: 1.12:60 Breezing
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: All Weather Track