PDA

View Full Version : Dish lost NBC signal?

PurplePower
05-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Did anyone else on Dish Network have a problem with losing the signal of ALL of the local channels? Just as the field approached the gate the signal was dropped, a note appearing saying "we are attempting to get the signal back". All non-local (over the air) channels worked, just none of the locals. I had my laptop on Twin Spires and we watched the race live on my laptop and as soon as the Barton-Borel interview was over and RA was walking to the infield winners' circle, the signal came back. Just wondering if Time Warner had anything to do with that? :mad:

NJ Stinks
05-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Yeah, PurplePower, it happened to me too in Jersey. :mad: I waited for HRTV to show it about 35 minutes later so I wouldn't know what happened.

A real bummer that never happened before! (At least I never saw that message before.)

PurplePower
05-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Yeah, PurplePower, it happened to me too in Jersey. :mad: I waited for HRTV to show it about 35 minutes later so I wouldn't know what happened.

A real bummer that never happened before! (At least I never saw that message before.)Yeah -- never happened to me before either. Wife just said her friend in Colorado said it happened out there too!!

BillW
05-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Yeah -- never happened to me before either. Wife just said her friend in Colorado said it happened out there too!!

All was OK here.

Toss_DeLoser
05-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Dish is switching from Nagra2 to Nagra3 encryption. They may have done it just to screw with the hackers and it backfired?

tholl
05-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Yes, happened here too.

BreadandButter
05-17-2009, 02:43 AM
I didn't have a problem on Dish - actually have it DVRed as well.

Cubbymac26
05-17-2009, 03:12 AM
What a nightmare I'm home getting ready to take a shower as soon as the race is over and they go to commercial so I can get to track in time for yr. So I'm laying on the bet as the field starts walking to the gait my tv goes out I check other chanels all is good I turn white as a ghost... So I no tvg can't show pimlico so I try getting cute and put on hrtv and there showing a preview Im live in a pk4 with an all (no 4-8-11-12) $5 pik 3 needing 3-6-13 so I no I'm cashing but I want to c the race so with a minute to post or as there loading I run out the door bare feet through mud in shorts bare feet and all and listen to the call on the radio I mf'd for a half hour......... Horrible call by dave rodman way he called the race seemed like mm or mtb were blowing buy deep strech

Marshall Bennett
05-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Didn't notice a problem here .

gregrph
05-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I was watching NBC in HD, the signal lost. I went to HRTV and they were on but then said they were cutting away and would be back after the race. They said to go to NBC for the race itself. I went back to NBC HD and the signal was out. I went to the regular analog broadcast and watched! What a race! I don't care what anybody says, Rachel Alexandra was all the best IN THIS RACE and Mine That Bird was a hard charging second. Too many people being Mon am quartebacks saying "if this happened, if that happened,..." etc.I can't wait for them to meet again in the Belmont.
Greg

Did anyone else on Dish Network have a problem with losing the signal of ALL of the local channels? Just as the field approached the gate the signal was dropped, a note appearing saying "we are attempting to get the signal back". All non-local (over the air) channels worked, just none of the locals. I had my laptop on Twin Spires and we watched the race live on my laptop and as soon as the Barton-Borel interview was over and RA was walking to the infield winners' circle, the signal came back. Just wondering if Time Warner had anything to do with that? :mad:

barn11
05-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Happened to me in northern Virginia. Never seen the screen before either. Fortunately I called a friend who gave me his call. Did a better job than Durkin did with the Derby too!!!!

GaryG
05-17-2009, 01:15 PM
It happened to me in Tennessee. Thank God for TwinSpires.

pandy
05-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Yes, it was weird, seconds before the race.

pandy
05-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Dish is switching from Nagra2 to Nagra3 encryption. They may have done it just to screw with the hackers and it backfired?

It had to be something like that, they never drop a signal and here seconds before the races starts they lose it, they must have been messing around for some reason.

dutchboy
05-17-2009, 03:32 PM
They are probably trying to catch the people stealing the signal. They can take down selective signals for a short period of time and wait for people to call to report an outage. Then they can sort out the cheaters. The honest people who pay and do not cheat just assume it was a technical glitch.

Cable used to do it when the bootleg boxes starting showing up.

thespaah
05-17-2009, 04:39 PM
There was a severe thunderstorm near Dish Network's Mt Jackson(VA) uplink facility. This the location where most local channels Dish provides on the east coast are uplinked to the satellite.
No line of sight, no uplink. It's that simple.

Cubbymac26
05-17-2009, 06:59 PM
It was just horrible timing I specifically leave Foxwoods after the 10th to watch it on NBC with the different angles and everything else so a thunderstorm in va did that it seems more likely they weretrying to disrupt illegal signals it's like a superbowl wrapped up in 2 minutes makes alot of sense good point

thespaah
05-17-2009, 08:03 PM
It was just horrible timing I specifically leave Foxwoods after the 10th to watch it on NBC with the different angles and everything else so a thunderstorm in va did that it seems more likely they weretrying to disrupt illegal signals it's like a superbowl wrapped up in 2 minutes makes alot of sense good point
The conspiracy theorists are chirping. But they are wrong.
Here's a photo of the center..
https://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/images/Tech/MtJackson.jpg

The newly constructed Mt. Jackson regional mini-broadcast employing about 18 people. This facility will help increase DISH Network’s capacity to supply local-to-local, standard, and high definition (HD) broadcast coverage throughout the nation.