PDA

View Full Version : Preakness infield closed?

Imriledup
05-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Looks deserted.

What gives?

Saratoga_Mike
05-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Looks deserted.

What gives?

It's 10:30 at night.

toussaud
05-16-2009, 10:31 PM
no drinks

Imriledup
05-16-2009, 10:32 PM
It's 10:30 at night.

Not on my DVR machine! Its about 30 mins to post according to my telvision!

Saratoga_Mike
05-16-2009, 10:32 PM
No more BYOB.

Imriledup
05-16-2009, 10:33 PM
No more BYOB.

Cmon, you have to be pulling my leg.....let me go check if its april 1st and i'll get back to ya!

Saratoga_Mike
Not on my DVR machine! Its about 30 mins to post according to my telvision!

I love the RA/MTB exacta. Tap out on it.

DJofSD
NBC broadcast said no alcohol allowed, meaning, no BYOB. Saw plenty of beer tents though. I wonder how much they were charging for a brew. More than at the baseball game?

Imriledup
05-16-2009, 10:35 PM
NBC broadcast said no alcohol allowed, meaning, no BYOB. Saw plenty of beer tents though. I wonder how much they were charging for a brew. More than at the baseball game?

Wow, i just checked and its May 16th and not April 1st. This is incredible. If i had 1,000 guesses, i would have never guessed this.

Saratoga_Mike
05-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Cmon, you have to be pulling my leg.....let me go check if its april 1st and i'll get back to ya!

I assume you missed the story, which is certainly understandable. They banned BYOB this yr. I think it was just getting too out-of-control in the infield, and my bet is the potential liability started to worry mgt. Total guess.

Imriledup
05-16-2009, 10:39 PM
I assume you missed the story, which is certainly understandable. They banned BYOB this yr. I think it was just getting too out-of-control in the infield, and my bet is the potential liability started to worry mgt. Total guess.

Yeah, i didn't see any story indicating this. Great job by Pimlico, they kept them away in droves. Good job.

Saratoga_Mike
05-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah, i didn't see any story indicating this. Great job by Pimlico, they kept them away in droves. Good job.

I'm sure it was a cost-benefit analysis. If I were their general counsel, I would have been concerned about the potential liability (i.e., massive lawsuit) from an out-of-control infield. Of course they may have miscalculated the potential negative impact from the ban. I have no idea.

Imriledup
05-16-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm sure it was a cost-benefit analysis. If I were their general counsel, I would have been concerned about the potential liability (i.e., massive lawsuit) from an out-of-control infield. Of course they may have miscalculated the potential negative impact from the ban. I have no idea.

Just tell everyone that you enter the infield at your own risk. Problem solved.

I guess they figured that the BYOB people never really bet any money, they probably made out better financially, but got killed attendance wise.

DanG
05-16-2009, 10:46 PM
The rumor was “YouTube” videos of the infield madness made the powers at be embarrassed and they changed the rules. Anyone who saw that drunk throw the punch at Artax some years ago knows it was madness. (Not that I'm opposed to a little madness of course)

As Crist said; the handle certainly didn’t reflect the change in attendance and it makes you wonder how much these kids were betting vs. buying adult beverages.

ryesteve
05-16-2009, 10:49 PM
As Crist said; the handle certainly didn’t reflect the change in attendance and it makes you wonder how much these kids were betting vs. buying adult beverages.My thoughts exactly... it's hard to get a bet down when you're busy running across the tops of the urinals...

The Hawk
05-16-2009, 10:51 PM
That's true; what was the benefit for Pimlico? They were liable if anything awful happened (which was probably just a matter of time), they made no money on concessions and no money through the windows, apparently.

Saratoga_Mike
05-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Just tell everyone that you enter the infield at your own risk. Problem solved.

I guess they figured that the BYOB people never really bet any money, they probably made out better financially, but got killed attendance wise.

In my opinion, that's a de facto exculpatory clause, which a court could easily decide to overrule. So I don't think it solves the problem.

I don't think the infielders bet much, but I think infield tickets were $30 or $40 (?), so they certainly sacrificed a decent amount of admissions revenue.

Imriledup
05-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Racing should be trying to create new fans, not keep them away.

But, then again, when the owner of the track is dead broke, i think making new fans is the last thing they care about.

Citation1947
05-16-2009, 11:00 PM

Pimlico did the right thing. These people come in, they act like animals, bring nothing to the game and most likely dont add much to the handle. They are there just for the party, to get drunk, tear stuff up and start fights. That's not what this sport needs. These types are not fans of horse racing. They proved that today by not coming out.

ryesteve
05-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Racing should be trying to create new fans, not keep them away.Turning the infield into mardi gras does nothing to create new fans for racing.

Saratoga_Mike
05-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Turning the infield into mardi gras does nothing to create new fans for racing.

What he said.

NJ Stinks
05-16-2009, 11:08 PM
About 30 years ago people were stepping over me to exit the infield. :)

I think I got drunk because I only saw the horses for about 3 seconds a race. It was the second and last time I ventured out into the infield.

I think they lost a bunch of money with this new policy. Here's some info on infield admission this year at the Preakness from the Pimlico website:
__________________________________________________ ________

$3.50 beer, $1 bottled water, food and other beverages available. All Major credits and debit cards accepted.

Special ONLINE ADVANCE PRICE (available only at Ticketmaster (http://www.ticketmaster.com/promo/mu8ygu?spotlight_ren_od=1&tm_link=tm_homeA_4_f1&tm_link=tm_homeA_4_f1)) $45.00
Preakness Advance Purchase (Pimlico, Ticketmaster (http://www.ticketmaster.com/promo/mu8ygu?spotlight_ren_od=1&tm_link=tm_homeA_4_f1&tm_link=tm_homeA_4_f1), BP*) $50.00
Preakness Day Purchase (Pimlico, Ticketmaster (http://www.ticketmaster.com/promo/mu8ygu?spotlight_ren_od=1&tm_link=tm_homeA_4_f1&tm_link=tm_homeA_4_f1)) $60.00

turfnsport
05-16-2009, 11:11 PM
90% of the people on the infield never find a betting window.

A couple of years ago I stood at the gate to the infield in the morning and tried to do an analysis of how many beers per patron were going in. It was easily over a case of beer per person...lol.. It was insane.

Imriledup
05-16-2009, 11:12 PM
The concept that they were banning BYOB because of 'animals' causing problems is a bunch of malarkey. Its all about money and sticking the customer with a 3 dollar and 50 cent cup of watered down budweiser. These people could care less about the 'animals' its all about the mighty dollar and how much they can squeeze out of the fans pockets.

Saratoga_Mike
05-16-2009, 11:16 PM
The concept that they were banning BYOB because of 'animals' causing problems is a bunch of malarkey. Its all about money and sticking the customer with a 3 dollar and 50 cent cup of watered down budweiser. These people could care less about the 'animals' its all about the mighty dollar and how much they can squeeze out of the fans pockets.

Not sure about that, at least as it turned out (from your visual infield attendance reports). Each infielder would pay $45 to get in, so the lost admissions revenue overwhelmed the new beer sales revenue. Maybe they just totally miscalculated the negative impact from the change, and your assertion is correct. I just don't know.

ryesteve
05-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Its all about moneyGiven that the admission tickets cost around $50, I can't imagine that they sold enough beer to compensate for the people who stayed home.

Imriledup
05-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Given that the admission tickets cost around $50, I can't imagine that they sold enough beer to compensate for the people who stayed home.

They might have miscalculated how many people were going to stay away.

ryesteve
05-16-2009, 11:26 PM
They might have miscalculated how many people were going to stay away.Even if that's the case, this has no bearing on your original complaint that this was somehow costing the sport new fans.

NJ Stinks
05-16-2009, 11:56 PM
I got this from the Washington Post website - it was posted tonight:

Attendance dropped 7.5 percent last year, to 112,222, and it fell yesterday to 77,850, track officials said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/16/AR2009051602390.html?hpid=topnews

Greyfox
05-17-2009, 12:02 AM
These people could care less about the 'animals' its all about the mighty dollar and how much they can squeeze out of the fans pockets.

Right. These people could care less about the animals. And why should they?
The "animals" that were entering the infield could care less about racing.

thruncy
05-17-2009, 12:10 AM
The rumor was “YouTube” videos of the infield madness made the powers at be embarrassed and they changed the rules. Anyone who saw that drunk throw the punch at Artax some years ago knows it was madness. (Not that I'm opposed to a little madness of course)

As Crist said; the handle certainly didn’t reflect the change in attendance and it makes you wonder how much these kids were betting vs. buying adult beverages.Betting is an afterthought there. Churchill abandoned their brilliant 'chief party officer' idea from last year. They had probably figured they'd play the mindless nitwits (like me out there in '05) for real suckers and get some of their own to supervise them for free. Like designated "sobers." Pimlico, I hear, was worse than Churchill AND Mardi Gras Day at their peak insanity. And I know what both of them are like. Now that horseracing is on its knees economically they're abandoning their arrogance....Gee, wasn't it a nice gesture of Churchill to bring TVG back into the fold? And the now soon to be deposed Magna management was probably warned by Stronach himself that they couldn't risk any more Bombay Duck/Artax incidents with their track soon to be sold.

Imriledup
05-17-2009, 03:36 AM
You know, the Artax incident had zero to do with drunk infielders and everything to do with not enough security (or secure measures) to stop them. Because there was no security they blame the guy who did it. So, lets punish the infielders because security was no where to be found when this guy was heading for the track.

Also, that guy probably had more than just beer in his system.

KingChas
05-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Maybe next year Frankie can put slots in the infield. :D

ryesteve
05-17-2009, 07:56 AM
You know, the Artax incident had zero to do with drunk infielders and everything to do with not enough security (or secure measures) to stop them.What a ridiculous rationalization. You sound like a caricature of a defense attorney. "Yes, your Honor, my client did attempt to rob that bank, but it's completely the bank's fault, not his. If there had been better security, he never would've tried it"

eastie
05-17-2009, 08:42 AM
You know, the Artax incident had zero to do with drunk infielders and everything to do with not enough security (or secure measures) to stop them. Because there was no security they blame the guy who did it. So, lets punish the infielders because security was no where to be found when this guy was heading for the track.

Also, that guy probably had more than just beer in his system.

security isn't much better at Churchill as a patron (southie) watching the race was the second one to reach Eight Belles after the tragedy last year.
It's BYOB everyday at Saratoga and there are very few problems, so it's most likely about selling beer for profit. I figure if you let the people bring their own beer, the money saved goes through the windows. In my drinking heyday, i would save $100 a day on beer at saratoga. A case of bass and a bag of ice cost me $20. Paying $5 bucks a beer cost $120 plus tips...

Saratoga_Mike
05-17-2009, 08:59 AM
security isn't much better at Churchill as a patron (southie) watching the race was the second one to reach Eight Belles after the tragedy last year.
It's BYOB everyday at Saratoga and there are very few problems, so it's most likely about selling beer for profit. I figure if you let the people bring their own beer, the money saved goes through the windows. In my drinking heyday, i would save $100 a day on beer at saratoga. A case of bass and a bag of ice cost me $20. Paying $5 bucks a beer cost $120 plus tips...

Comparing Saratoga's picnic area to the Preakness infield is liking comparing Paris Hilton to Mother Teresa.

The Hawk
05-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Comparing Saratoga's picnic area to the Preakness infield is liking comparing Paris Hilton to Mother Teresa.

This is completely true, even if Saratoga's picnic area is vastly overrated.

DanG
05-17-2009, 10:04 AM
My thoughts exactly... it's hard to get a bet down when you're busy running across the tops of the urinals...
It’s funny you should say that Steve; if you type “Preakness” into YouTube video search the “Running of the Urinals” is the #1 hit. (At least the way mine is set up)

I’m sure Saratoga wouldn’t be proud if a similar search came back the year they blasted the Macarena at an AC/DC decimal level. :eek:

magwell
05-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Comparing Saratoga's picnic area to the Preakness infield is liking comparing Paris Hilton to Mother Teresa. Now thats "CLASSIC"........:lol:

thespaah
05-17-2009, 10:00 PM
This is completely true, even if Saratoga's picnic area is vastly overrated.
Yes we all have opinions don't we?

thespaah
05-17-2009, 10:06 PM
It’s funny you should say that Steve; if you type “Preakness” into YouTube video search the “Running of the Urinals” is the #1 hit. (At least the way mine is set up)

I’m sure Saratoga wouldn’t be proud if a similar search came back the year they blasted the Macarena at an AC/DC decimal level. :eek:ah yes..1996. the summer of the macarena. They played that stupid thing at the Spa and even got some jockeys to do that lame a**ed dance.
I told friends that by Labor day the macarena was going to be just a bad memory.

Imriledup
05-17-2009, 10:25 PM
ah yes..1996. the summer of the macarena. They played that stupid thing at the Spa and even got some jockeys to do that lame a**ed dance.
I told friends that by Labor day the macarena was going to be just a bad memory.

I remember that, i was there, good memory you have!

Relwob Owner
05-17-2009, 10:28 PM

i know a lot of people who actually dont go because of the infield....attendance down and handle up shows that business wise, they made a decent decision......

thespaah
05-17-2009, 10:39 PM
I remember that, i was there, good memory you have! the macarena was a bad dream.
Ugh!!!
Oh yeah the same year was Woodstock II..They had it in a big field just south of Exit 20 off the Thruway. I drove back home and saw the trash mountain that made Hunter Ski Area blush.

bitter
05-18-2009, 07:17 AM
i'd be shocked if they ever get over 100K into that place again, this year was just the tip of the iceberg, people are gonna remember this for next year, how little $60 gets you

JustRalph
05-18-2009, 08:38 AM
I can't wait for that Mother Teresa Carl's Junior Commercial

andicap
05-18-2009, 09:55 PM
the macarena was a bad dream.
Ugh!!!
Oh yeah the same year was Woodstock II..They had it in a big field just south of Exit 20 off the Thruway. I drove back home and saw the trash mountain that made Hunter Ski Area blush.

So I'm leaving the track at Saratoga one day during that Woodstock. I can't recall the name of the street but its the one that runs alongside the track and is parallel to Nelson Ave. down by the clubhouse turn side.

Anyway, a car comes up to me and some woman opens her window and asks me, "Is this Woodstock?"

No joke.

:D

thespaah
05-18-2009, 11:13 PM
So I'm leaving the track at Saratoga one day during that Woodstock. I can't recall the name of the street but its the one that runs alongside the track and is parallel to Nelson Ave. down by the clubhouse turn side.

Anyway, a car comes up to me and some woman opens her window and asks me, "Is this Woodstock?"

No joke.

:DI can think of about 37 sarcastic responses for that woman. Hey, I am origianlly from the NY Metro area.
BTW that's Jackson Ave.
So are making the trip to the Spa this year?