View Full Version : Dolphus Morrison, former owner of Rachel

Imriledup
05-16-2009, 09:59 PM
"The triple crown is to showcase future stallions"

LOL

A filly and a gelding ran 1-2!

toussaud
05-16-2009, 10:01 PM
if anyone costed the triple crown, it was that idiotic standpoint.

Saratoga_Mike
05-16-2009, 10:07 PM
if anyone costed the triple crown, it was that idiotic standpoint.

I thought you swore off the "idiot" references. Of course "idiotic," the adjective, is less harsh than "idiot," the noun. So the idiot police will let this one pass.

toussaud
05-16-2009, 10:11 PM
I thought you swore off the "idiot" references. Of course "idiotic," the adjective, is less harsh than "idiot," the noun. So the idiot police will let this one pass.
I am not calling HIM an idiot, I'm calling that statement idioic, which it is. A baseless, idiotic statement.

I'm sure morrison is a smart man, he's very well off, and I did not call him an idiot. But that does not change the fact that that was not his one shining moment.

like jess jackson said, champions should run with champions.

Saratoga_Mike
05-16-2009, 10:14 PM
I am not calling HIM an idiot, I'm calling that statement idioic, which it is. Morrison is the president of a pretty nice sized steel company, i'm sure he's a very smart man.

Right, you used a derivation of the root word as an adjective. I was just giving you a hard time after your Andy Sterling (sic) transgression.

ArlJim78
05-16-2009, 10:15 PM
So far I guess the leading colt is Musket Man with consecutive thirds in the Derby and Preakness. Yonaguska, who'd have thunk it?

sonnyp
05-16-2009, 10:20 PM
I am not calling HIM an idiot, I'm calling that statement idioic, which it is. A baseless, idiotic statement.

I'm sure morrison is a smart man, he's very well off, and I did not call him an idiot. But that does not change the fact that that was not his one shining moment.

he should have said, "champions should run ONCE against champions ". they wont be going out of their way to race against the boys much more. she proved their point and there's so much easy money left against the girls. what would be the point of continuing to race the boys ?

Saratoga_Mike
05-16-2009, 10:21 PM
he should have said, "champions should run ONCE against champions ". they wont be going out of their way to race against the boys much more. she proved their point and there's so much easy money left against the girls. what would be the point of continuing to race the boys ?

Racing immortality.

Imriledup
05-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Racing immortality.

Zenyatta's owners passed up the chance for immortality last year by not running in the classic.

toussaud
05-16-2009, 10:22 PM
So far I guess the leading colt is Musket Man with consecutive thirds in the Derby and Preakness. Yonaguska, who'd have thunk it?
alydar is the only colt to finish all three triople crown races 2nd.

come on musket man.. you have to make history.

Saratoga_Mike
05-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Zenyatta's owners passed up the chance for immortality last year by not running in the classic.

I just said that would be the point, answering your original question. I have no idea whether they'll do it or not. I hope to see her at Saratoga.

sonnyp
05-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Racing immortality.

first filly to win the preakness in decades. she may not lose against the girls again. she's now being compared to the likes of ruffian, fairly or not.

she's at the top right now. she will get beat if she keeps pickin on the boys,sooner or later.

they'll quit while they are at the top. i mean she might try the boys in the right spots once or twice more, but i wouldn't expect them to go out of their way to confront another group of top males.

PurplePower
05-16-2009, 10:33 PM

That statement was Mr. Morrison's personal opinion, based on over 30 years of experience in the breeding business. I am willing to say it is an opinion that is shared by most of the owners of breeding farms here in Kentucky. A Triple Crown winning colt is worth a lot more than a TC winning filly because we can reap many more dividends each year from the resulting stallion than we can from a mare.

(Big Brown sells for $50 MILLION with contingency that price becomes $100 MILLION +/- if he won the Belmont.) I don't know a breeding farm that would have given $50 million for RA even if she had won the KD.

So, I see an economic basis for that statement. Because you don't agree with it does not make it an idiotic statement - IMHO. :)

toussaud
05-16-2009, 10:33 PM
jess jackson doesn't strike me as the type scared of taking a loss.

Imriledup
05-16-2009, 10:38 PM
That statement was Mr. Morrison's personal opinion, based on over 30 years of experience in the breeding business. I am willing to say it is an opinion that is shared by most of the owners of breeding farms here in Kentucky. A Triple Crown winning colt is worth a lot more than a TC winning filly because we can reap many more dividends each year from the resulting stallion than we can from a mare.

(Big Brown sells for $50 MILLION with contingency that price becomes $100 MILLION +/- if he won the Belmont.) I don't know a breeding farm that would have given $50 million for RA even if she had won the KD.

So, I see an economic basis for that statement. Because you don't agree with it does not make it an idiotic statement - IMHO. :)

Your statements make a lot of sense, but i think Mr Morrison's 'tone' was that of a male chauvanist, don't you think? He was almost laughing at the notion that a filly could beat the boys. Unless i'm reading into it the wrong way.

Saratoga_Mike
05-16-2009, 10:38 PM
jess jackson doesn't strike me as the type scared of taking a loss.

Now you're talking - agree with you here.

sonnyp
05-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Your statements make a lot of sense, but i think Mr Morrison's 'tone' was that of a male chauvanist, don't you think? He was almost laughing at the notion that a filly could beat the boys. Unless i'm reading into it the wrong way.

this filly was being "shopped" since last year. IEAH looked at her last fall but she didn't pass the vet test.

what ever their reason, her previous owners were looking to sell. as proof, they sold her quickly after that phenominal oaks win.

with that in mind, they were commited to continue making her look as good as possible with the least amount of risk to try to get her sold, meaning they were not going to risk her against the boys.

Saratoga_Mike
05-16-2009, 11:01 PM
this filly was being "shopped" since last year. IEAH looked at her last fall but she didn't pass the vet test.

what ever their reason, her previous owners were looking to sell. as proof, they sold her quickly after that phenominal oaks win.

with that in mind, they were commited to continue making her look as good as possible with the least amount of risk to try to get her sold, meaning they were not going to risk her against the boys.

Why didn't she vet out last yr?

sandpit
05-16-2009, 11:06 PM
alydar is the only colt to finish all three triople crown races 2nd.

come on musket man.. you have to make history.

I could be wrong about this, but I think Mane Minister finished third in all 3 Triple Crown races in 1991.

toussaud
05-16-2009, 11:07 PM
bone chip I believe is what it was.
owner also said he didn't put her in the ring becuase he didn't think she would crack 100k.

lol, don't think you have to worry about that one again.

PurplePower
05-16-2009, 11:09 PM
Why didn't she vet out last yr?
She x-rayed with a small chip in one of her front ankles.

Saratoga_Mike
bone chip I believe is what it was.
owner also said he didn't put her in the ring becuase he didn't think she would crack 100k.

lol, don't think you have to worry about that one again.

So when did they have the chip removed? Because Jackson said she vetted out beautifully a few days after the Oaks win.

toussaud
I'm pretty sure between the golden rod and the martha washington. that was a nice little vacation

Imriledup
05-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Bad job by IEAH. But, when you don't really know the game all that well and just have a bunch of money you got from other people, its easy to see why they 'passed'. Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't War Emblem 'vet out bad' ? He was sold for a mere million bucks and look how that turned out. People were scared of the 'chip'.

PurplePower
05-16-2009, 11:16 PM

Mr. Morrison has been in business for 30 years because he was willing to take a profit when an appropriate one was offered. He sold the filly "You" right after she started her career. Rachel would have been sold last fall if she had X-rayed clean - and for $1.2 million. (This has been reported in the stories about the recent sale). So, it may be semantics, but it was not like Mr. Morrison was calling possible suitors and trying to sell her. When they came calling he listened and if he liked the profit they offered he took it. Rachel's trainer and assistant trainer did not know of the pending sale until they were called late Tuesday night (or early Wednesday AM) and told she would be "vetted" that day. So "shopped" seems to be a word that does not describe the actual activity.

Saratoga_Mike
05-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Mr. Morrison has been in business for 30 years because he was willing to take a profit when an appropriate one was offered. He sold the filly "You" right after she started her career. Rachel would have been sold last fall if she had X-rayed clean - and for $1.2 million. (This has been reported in the stories about the recent sale). So, it may be semantics, but it was not like Mr. Morrison was calling possible suitors and trying to sell her. When they came calling he listened and if he liked the profit they offered he took it. Rachel's trainer and assistant trainer did not know of the pending sale until they were called late Tuesday night (or early Wednesday AM) and told she would be "vetted" that day. So "shopped" seems to be a word that does not describe the actual activity.

What did Jackson pay for her?

Tee
05-16-2009, 11:24 PM
The bone chip was removed after the Debutante

I'm pretty sure between the golden rod and the martha washington. that was a nice little vacation

sonnyp
05-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Bad job by IEAH. But, when you don't really know the game all that well and just have a bunch of money you got from other people, its easy to see why they 'passed'. Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't War Emblem 'vet out bad' ? He was sold for a mere million bucks and look how that turned out. People were scared of the 'chip'.

yea.....IEAH passed on RA and went for stardom bound. that's what irritates me about the IEAH bunch. they got believing their own sales pitch. they had unbelievable early success and they started believing how "smart" they were.

this horse business is a humbling experience. expertise and experience can limit the variables but a little luck can go a long way. "i'd rather be lucky than good any day". anyone in this business that doesn't subscribe to that theory is just kidding themselves.

Saratoga_Mike
05-16-2009, 11:30 PM
yea.....IEAH passed on RA and went for stardom bound. that's what irritates me about the IEAH bunch. they got believing their own sales pitch. they had unbelievable early success and they started believing how "smart" they were.

this horse business is a humbling experience. expertise and experience can limit the variables but a little luck can go a long way. "i'd rather be lucky than good any day". anyone in this business that doesn't subscribe to that theory is just kidding themselves.

Isnt that the truth.

nijinski
05-16-2009, 11:34 PM

He bred her ,sounds like a smart man kept her Dam ,there is some truth to that. A stallion covers in multiple Mares , I have utmost respect for broodmares but they are easily forgotten unfortunately if they don't produce what's expected of them.

toussaud
05-16-2009, 11:37 PM
He bred her ,sounds like a smart man kept her Dam ,there is some truth to that. A stallion covers in multiple Mares , I have utmost respect for broodmares but they are easily forgotten unfortunately if they don't produce what's expected of them.

oh I think he made out like a bandit in the entire deal. he has a RA half sister on the ground if I am not mistken, he has the mom, there is empire ruler, who is his half brother, I don't know if he's been sold yet but if he hasn't or even if he has, you have to think whowever has her is looking for the next 2YO in training sale.

he is a commerical breeder, and in that sense, he's sittin pretty chilly right now. Lotta kim is going to make him a lotta green

sonnyp
05-16-2009, 11:43 PM

you obviously know the gentleman personally, so allow me to paint the picture that it was general knowledge in the business that the filly could be bought. to illustrate what i mean i'll use the response of the owner of lost in the fog when he was asked why he didn't sell him. his response left no doubt of his position," i've been waiting for a horse like this my whole life. what the hell would i do with the money ? buy another horse ?"

i do agree its a matter of semantics, but clearly, one owner was "entertaining" the possibility of selling his horse while the other was not.

PaceAdvantage
05-17-2009, 09:26 PM
he should have said, "champions should run ONCE against champions ". they wont be going out of their way to race against the boys much more. she proved their point and there's so much easy money left against the girls. what would be the point of continuing to race the boys ?I don't know, ask Jess. He indicated quite clearly to Bob Costas that if RA wins the Preakness and comes out of it ok, there is little reason not to run in the Belmont Stakes.

PaceAdvantage
05-17-2009, 09:28 PM
they'll quit while they are at the top. i mean she might try the boys in the right spots once or twice more, but i wouldn't expect them to go out of their way to confront another group of top males.Actually, this isn't a group of top males. All the TOP 3yo males are currently on the sidelines, and have been since before the Derby.

The Belmont Stakes would be an absolute cake walk for RA if Mine That Bird is the only one she has to seriously worry about...

PaceAdvantage
05-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Your statements make a lot of sense, but i think Mr Morrison's 'tone' was that of a male chauvanist, don't you think? He was almost laughing at the notion that a filly could beat the boys. Unless i'm reading into it the wrong way.You're reading it the wrong way.

sonnyp
05-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Actually, this isn't a group of top males. All the TOP 3yo males are currently on the sidelines, and have been since before the Derby.

The Belmont Stakes would be an absolute cake walk for RA if Mine That Bird is the only one she has to seriously worry about...

by "top" i meant those still standing.

as far as "a cake walk" i really find that somewhat amusing. possibly, but it depends on where she is mentally and physically after the preakness.

working with these animals, i found each race has it's effect on them. never, are they the same after a race as before. they're either better or worse depending on whwt that race did for them or to them.

IMHO, RA had to get on her belly to get the job done in the preakness. photos at the finish show eyes bulging and nostrils flared. she was blowing hard in the winners circle. this had been her second race in 2 weeks and the belmont will be three in 5 weeks.

now, you say, 1 1/2 miles on a sandy track in three weeks would be a cakewalk.

jackson has the final say, but i cant believe asmussin is liking the belmont spot.

i still say, emphatically, she doesn't go.

PaceAdvantage
05-17-2009, 11:54 PM
possibly, but it depends on where she is mentally and physically after the preakness.Absolutely...I thought this went without saying, which is why I didn't bother to say it...

And this whole sandy track thing...they can throw as much water as they want on the track to tighten it up...or not...same as any track....

There is plenty of time to see how she handles the Belmont strip in the mornings leading up to the Belmont.