PDA

View Full Version : Where was Rachel's bounce?

oddsmaven
05-16-2009, 07:40 PM
I always have a laugh at that theory...what did she do after the huge Oaks? Bounce :liar:. No, she stepped up vs the top colts, while saddled with the 13 hole, disposed of tough inside speed, opened up four lengths in midstretch before the dueling effort took its toll, but still won by a length.

tucker6
05-16-2009, 07:44 PM
I always have a laugh at that theory...what did she do after the huge Oaks? Bounce :liar:. No, she stepped up vs the top colts, while saddled with the 13 hole, disposed of tough inside speed, opened up four lengths in midstretch before the dueling effort took its toll, but still won by a length.
Bounce is extremely overrated, and not reliable. When it actually works, most people mis-apply it as a leading indicator rather than one of several side factors when reviewing the race beforehand.

Lasix67
05-16-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm with you all on this one. I said all week long that all the analysis of R.A. bouncing was purely idiotic. How does a horse that wins by 20 1/2 without being asked bounce? It was a freakin workout!!!!!!!!

Rapid Grey
05-16-2009, 08:10 PM
When you win by 20 lengths you can bounce and still win back. RA did regress, or bounce, today off of her Oaks effort, it just wasn't enough to get her beat.

Stevie Belmont
05-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Bounce? What bounce? You have to run an extended hard race to get a bounce, she certainly did not run a hard extended race in the Oaks, or for that matter any race as a 3-year-old...

Haskell up next!!

fmolf
05-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Bounce? What bounce? You have to run an extended hard race to get a bounce, she certainly did not run a hard extended race in the Oaks, or for that matter any race as a 3-year-old...

Haskell up next!!
bouncing is overrated and better horses tend to regress less

lamboguy
05-16-2009, 08:51 PM
rachel was bouncing around pretty good in that winners circle in baltimore this afternoon.

i think those of you who questioned if she could run on less than 15 days between races got their questions answered this afternoon.

NYPlayer
05-16-2009, 08:53 PM

Haskell up next!!

Why not the Belmont?! Since she's clearly the best 3yo....

LemonSoupKid
05-16-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure she's better than Mine That Bird, strangely. If she beats him at the Belmont I'll never mention it again.

toussaud
05-16-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm not sure she's better than Mine That Bird, strangely. If she beats him at the Belmont I'll never mention it again.
don't be a sore sport

depalma113
05-16-2009, 09:03 PM
When you win by 20 lengths you can bounce and still win back. RA did regress, or bounce, today off of her Oaks effort, it just wasn't enough to get her beat.

Really? Than why did her Beyer go up?

108 Oaks,
109 Preakness

SmartyLane
05-16-2009, 09:05 PM

At first thought I would think MTB would be able to get her..........but slow the pace down to 49 for the half with her stalking the pace and you have to rethink her getting the distance.....I think she would get it.........and she has never been eye to eye with a horse in the final few furlongs since her two first races..........my thoughts are she would fight tooth and nail to the wire

oddsmaven
05-16-2009, 09:21 PM

Haskell up next!!
Stevie - I get your point that she wasn't extended in the Oaks, however many proponents of this crazy bounce theory will tell you that it applies to the race following a huge smashing score, and you can hardly find a better example then a 20 length romp.

And I get a kick out of those that are trying to say she almost lost, as they didn't comprehend that she pulled off the win after dueling from a tough post while stepping up in class, as I noted.

Rapid Grey
05-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Really? Than why did her Beyer go up?

108 Oaks,
109 Preakness

Hey, I respect Beyer and his figures, I just don't buy into them at all times, and think his Oaks number for RA was too low.

So if she got a 109 today I'm guessing that means MTB got a BSF of around 107 or so and actually better than his Derby number. You tell me which was a better effort.

Oaklawn
05-16-2009, 09:55 PM
This guy surely didn't bounce either, after jumping 25 BSF in his derby win, he comes through traffic and almost gets there today.

lamboguy
05-16-2009, 10:45 PM
first you have people doubting the ability of this fine ms rachel alexander.

now she give you the living proof and she is still not good enough.

i guess its great to have an ego.

during the course of a day i make wrong moves about 50 times every single day 365 days for the year. the one thing about me is that i admit i am a dope.

bottom line here i am happy for mtb and rachel, they put on one of the most memorable shows in the history of the sport. and by the way, as time goes by, mtb will not be thought of as chopped liver either. that is a racehorse.

a dead bang game son of a gun, these 2 horses just brought this sport back to life.

we just witnessed 2 different perspectives of the sport, $10 million vs. $9500. both ways produced true champions.

we watched a 3% trainer on the same race track as a 23% trainer.

while i am at it, congradulations to stephanie beattie, she just won her first graded stakes race. she is one up and coming star in this game, and a good looking one to boot!

toussaud
05-16-2009, 10:50 PM
yes I caught that earlier on the undercard too. not bad on the eyes at all

CincyHorseplayer
05-17-2009, 05:25 PM
I said it before the race.You aren't going to bounce off a handride.