PDA

View Full Version : Not so hot ?

sonnyp
05-16-2009, 07:23 PM
i've said here before, i'm not a figures guy. this is, in no way meant to take anything away from MTB and RA, but i was very, very disappointed in the rest of this bunch.

MTB was so lightly regarded prior to the derby, and he ran by them like they were tied. "freaked on the off track" was said. today he ran right by them again on a fast track. no fluke.

what are the numbers on this race ? is MTB this much better than originally thought or were the likes of FF,POTN,PC,MM etc.,etc. simply overrated ?

again, im not a numbers guy, but to the eye, and ive seen a lot of horseraces, i am not impressed with this group of 3 yo colts.

id really like to hear about the numbers since, with those early fractions, i expected a herd to be coming at the end and all i saw was MTB.

PaceAdvantage
05-16-2009, 07:27 PM
I think it's obvious that the key to MTB's newfound ability is the change in his running style, first implemented in the Derby, and repeated again in the Preakness.

They found the key to this horse...bravo to his connections.

Too bad that key will be a serious detriment in the 1 1/2 mile Belmont...especially if the field comes up small.

sonnyp
05-16-2009, 07:30 PM
I think it's obvious that the key to MTB's newfound ability is the change in his running style, first implemented in the Derby, and repeated again in the Preakness.

They found the key to this horse...bravo to his connections.

Too bad that key will be a serious detriment in the 1 1/2 mile Belmont...especially if the field comes up small.

I agree, but what about the rest of this bunch ? what's your opinion of them ?

toussaud
05-16-2009, 07:36 PM
this isnt' a bad crop at all.

the problem lies in that the best 3.. no let me rephrase that becuase mine that bird is foreal... 3 out of the best 4 colts IMHO, Quality Road, I want revenge, and Dunkirk, aren't here for various reasons.

they are the cream of the colt crop along with mine that bird.

GaryG
05-16-2009, 07:41 PM
I still think they all look like Tale Of Ekati. This is another weak crop of 3yo colts. Big Drama looks like a nice miler but I doubt you will hear much more from the others. Unless something comes out of the woodwork the filly will drown them in the Travers.

sonnyp
05-16-2009, 07:48 PM
this isnt' a bad crop at all.

the problem lies in that the best 3.. no let me rephrase that becuase mine that bird is foreal... 3 out of the best 4 colts IMHO, Quality Road, I want revenge, and Dunkirk, aren't here for various reasons.

they are the cream of the colt crop along with mine that bird.

so, i assume you're agreeing that this bunch today turned out to be very ordinary ?

does anyone want to venture a guess on the beyers for this race ?

toussaud
05-16-2009, 07:52 PM
so, i assume you're agreeing that this bunch today turned out to be very ordinary ?

does anyone want to venture a guess on the beyers for this race ?
turned out? i have been screaming that from the top of my lungs for the last month. POTN is the most overhyped horse i've ever seen, and freisn fires races down in LA were a visual mirage.. you can even find my post here saying such.

mustet man is a useful horse, but I think the rest of this crop is grade 2ish grade 3.

musket man will get a grade 1 before it's all said and done.

that is another reason why I wanted her to win so bad. this was easy pickins

CBedo
05-16-2009, 08:13 PM
I agree, but what about the rest of this bunch ? what's your opinion of them ?
Could it be possible that Rachel just buried this bunch, leaving them to finish up the track? For the most part, they all want to be fairly close, and when they couldn't keep up, they just faded. The horses that can run from a little further back were better off (for 2nd at least). Who else in the race runs with a closing style? Mine That Bird who ran 2nd, mabye Flying Private who ran 4th, and even Musket Man, who at least can run from more than a couple lengths behind early.

This type of scenario is what made the Derby trifecta so easy last year I thought (if you liked BB of course). He buried all the other up close types and all you had to do was fill the bottom of your ticket with off the pace types.

I don't think any of these are world beaters, but today they were pace compromised.

kenwoodallpromos
05-16-2009, 08:23 PM
This is a lousy bunch of Sprinters trying to show stamina. It takes stamina to route, and sometimes to sprint on fake dirt and turf.
I see every year bettors trashing the 3 yr old horses instead of the "Breed for Speed" bunch.

sonnyp
05-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Could it be possible that Rachel just buried this bunch, leaving them to finish up the track? For the most part, they all want to be fairly close, and when they couldn't keep up, they just faded. The horses that can run from a little further back were better off (for 2nd at least). Who else in the race runs with a closing style? Mine That Bird who ran 2nd, mabye Flying Private who ran 4th, and even Musket Man, who at least can run from more than a couple lengths behind early.

This type of scenario is what made the Derby trifecta so easy last year I thought (if you liked BB of course). He buried all the other up close types and all you had to do was fill the bottom of your ticket with off the pace types.

I don't think any of these are world beaters, but today they were pace compromised.

aw come on ! once she went to the lead there's POTN, FF, PC and MM all up close and stalking. she's at the half in 46 and change and they've got nothing ?

very disappointing performance from them.

sonnyp
05-16-2009, 08:38 PM
forgot to put in post above.....beyer says the winner gets about a 109.

CBedo
05-16-2009, 09:32 PM
aw come on ! once she went to the lead there's POTN, FF, PC and MM all up close and stalking. she's at the half in 46 and change and they've got nothing ?

very disappointing performance from them.
I happen to agree with you, but it is one possible explanation.

WinterTriangle
05-16-2009, 10:03 PM
I see every year bettors trashing the 3 yr old horses instead of the "Breed for Speed" bunch.

This post should have "lights" around it, billboard size. :)

ryesteve
05-16-2009, 10:52 PM
i am not impressed with this group of 3 yo colts.I'll say this much... since we normally get this post much earlier in the season, this group must be pretty decent after all :)

sonnyp
05-16-2009, 11:13 PM
I'll say this much... since we normally get this post much earlier in the season, this group must be pretty decent after all :)

sir,

were you impressed in any way, shape or form with the performances today of POTN, FF, PC, MM, or any of the others that had been considered major players in this years crop going into the derby ?

toussaud
05-16-2009, 11:23 PM
I"m not him, but I could not jump off the FF and POTN bandwagon fast enough

ryesteve
05-16-2009, 11:32 PM
sir,

were you impressed in any way, shape or form with the performances today of POTN, FF, PC, MM, or any of the others that had been considered major players in this years crop going into the derby ?
Did my comment really strike you as a serious defense of this year's crop, rather than a comment intended to amuse those who've been around long enough to see this same discussion play out before?

sonnyp
05-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Did my comment really strike you as a serious defense of this year's crop, rather than a comment intended to amuse those who've been around long enough to see this same discussion play out before?

i enjoy the banter, but im very bad at getting the jist of the typed comment.

i actually thought you were taking a position in defense of the quality of this bunch.

forgive me. please.

pandy
05-17-2009, 12:02 AM
If you take into consideration the horses that have been hurt or simply passed this race, the overall 3yo crop was very strong. However, these horses are so fragile nowadays, who knows if horses like Dunkirk, I Want Revenge, Pamplemouse, etc, will ever come back or fulfill their potential.

Besides the top two, I thought Big Drama raced well. He's bred for speed and with blinkers back on and a shorter distance, he could be a formidable miler/sprinter similar to Hard Spun. That's if they can keep him sound from here on in.