PDA

View Full Version : Big Drama cast in stall

Cat Thief
05-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Article in Bloodhorse Big Drama cast in stall at 6:45 am. I'm not sure what "cast" means but I think it means he couldn't get up. They say he is okay but makes me wonder ...

Greyfox
05-16-2009, 12:00 PM
If that happened, he was rolling around in his stall and got "stuck" somehow and couldn't get up.

Watcher
05-16-2009, 12:01 PM
"The only slight drama on Preakness morning involved Big Drama, who became cast in his stall at about 6 a.m. It was a minor incident, the only noticeable scar being to his right front foot.

The colt, trained by David Fawkes, was washed down and appeared fine. Big Drama also skipped the Derby; his last start came in the March 28 Swale Stakes (gr. II), which would have been his sixth straight victory except he was disqualified to second." - BloodHorse.com

Was just coming over here to ask y'all what that meant.

Edit: Cast = a horse laying too close to the wall, usually via rolling, where it ends up with its feet too close to the wall, and it can't stand up. Here's a visual via Google...

http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/images/castingill.jpg

DJofSD
05-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Yes, being cast means the horse could not get up.

Now whether or not it is significant depends on how much it struggled, how long and if he injured himself at all.

Every horse is different. Some will make an effort without panicing while others will do themselves great harm trying to get up. Then there's the danger to the handlers assisting the horse to get him out of the trouble he's gotten himself into. The easy ones will not panic and will let you just roll them over on their backs so they aren't up against the stall wall any more. Others will just about kill you with their flaying legs-- you don't want to be anywhere near the horse but you can't help it if you don't.

Cat Thief
05-16-2009, 12:13 PM
wow big drama indeed. Gosh I have him in most of my bets so I am hoping he's okay or I will be getting refunds

DeanT
05-16-2009, 12:16 PM
http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/images/castingill.jpg

That's how I sleep after having 11 beers. We need Tom for a Foster Brooks reference.

This is no big deal. Happens a lot in my experience.

DJofSD
05-16-2009, 12:18 PM
If Big Drama does not run or does not run his usual race, this becomes a significant change to how the pace scenario will impact the race.

kenwoodallpromos
05-16-2009, 12:26 PM
"the only NOTICEABLE scar being to his right front foot."

chrisl
05-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Dean that was funny, I will be there around 3 today, Chrisl

joanied
05-16-2009, 03:39 PM
I Want Revenge got casted just before he shipped to Churchill and he scraped himself up pretty good...which led me to think he paniced and fought to get away from the satll wall...which led me to think it MAY have had something to do with his Derby scratch and injury.

Hope Big Drama is 110% after his casting episode....damned stalls on all race tracks are just too small.

ezgoerbaby79
05-16-2009, 03:52 PM
No, it's not stall size, horses are just slightly retarded. I've seen mares get cast in foaling stalls.