PDA

View Full Version : California CHRB "Backpedalling" synthetic surfaces?

rwwupl
05-15-2009, 11:37 AM
If this has been previously noted,I missed it

From the April 24th CHRB meeting:
(A summary by the CHRB information officer,Mike Marten)

The racing commissioners indicated their willingness to consider requests, on a case-by-case basis,
for a waiver from the CHRB rule requiring a synthetic surface at any racetrack operating four or
more weeks of continuous thoroughbred racing in a calendar year. Santa Anita Park, Golden Gate
Fields, Hollywood Park, and Del Mar all replaced their dirt tracks with a synthetic, engineered
surface. Should one of those locations decide to switch back to dirt, or should a fair or other
California racetrack not currently offering four or more weeks of thoroughbred racing decide to offer
such racing, and not wish to install a synthetic surface, it would be the “sense of the Board” to
seriously consider granting a waiver, explained Chairman Harris. He said this formalizes the Board
policy already demonstrated by the granting of a waiver to Bay Meadows in 2007.

andymays
05-15-2009, 11:41 AM
I remember hearing that when I listened to that meeting.

They can't get themeselves to just rescind the mandate. The change will come though.

toussaud
05-15-2009, 11:46 AM
i'll tellig you. end of the year

all it is going to take is for del mar to have a horrid season and a track like indiana downs breaks a record for handle or something and the wheels will be set in motion.

everyone is looking at the success of oaklawn's 4 day race week now it's chic to race 4 days. if you can GROW in this recession business wise.

rwwupl
05-15-2009, 12:03 PM
So much---For the announced reasons of;

"The synthetics will draw horses and horsemen from all over the country to race on our synthetic tracks"

And ,

"We must consider the safety of the horses first in everything we do"

I guess things did not work out as planned.

sonnyp
05-15-2009, 12:50 PM
no experience in the subject field, "fairhaired child" of someone or political hack,unable to compete in "real" world, total incompitents and these people are put in the position to make the laws and rules that govern the lives and wellbeing of hard working people.

ditto in washington

Imriledup
05-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Get rid of synthetics, i stopped betting on these tracks altogether and i know a lot of big bettors that have also stopped.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-15-2009, 03:22 PM
With the economy as it is, and the state of racing, and California, etc, what tracks could really afford to change their tracks right now - either to synthetic or back to dirt?

Any track that would be willing to run 4 or more weeks that isn't doing so already obviously don't have synthetic tracks right now, so now would be a bad time to force them to.

toussaud
05-15-2009, 03:25 PM
With the economy as it is, and the state of racing, and California, etc, what tracks could really afford to change their tracks right now - either to synthetic or back to dirt?

Any track that would be willing to run 4 or more weeks that isn't doing so already obviously don't have synthetic tracks right now, so now would be a bad time to force them to.
I don't think they can afford not to.

they can either lose money short term by swtiching back, or lose money longer term by not switching.

slewis
05-15-2009, 05:44 PM
But doesn't anyone give a damn about the safety of the horses?

After all, this is what these surfaces were supposedly installed for, correct?

I just spoke today to a NY trainer who last week had two horses injured.

He's convinced, because of the nature of the injuries, traction (or lack of) was the reason.

He's pushing (along with others) for a re-instatement of toe grabs to help horses grab the track and push off easier. He knows I have statistics proving the Jockey Clubs assertions incorrect, but no one in track management (or the Jockey Club) will remotely acknowledge the truth.

Saratoga_Mike
05-15-2009, 05:49 PM

He's convinced, because of the nature of the injuries, traction (or lack of) was the reason.

He's pushing (along with others) for a re-instatement of toe grabs to help horses grab the track and push off easier. He knows I have statistics proving the Jockey Clubs assertions incorrect, but no one in track management (or the Jockey Club) will remotely acknowledge the truth.

Could you elaborate on your toe grab thoughts? Thanks.

Imriledup
05-15-2009, 09:05 PM

Trainers and owners care about horse safety. Bettors care about winning their next bet.

Track Collector
05-15-2009, 09:22 PM
California has become the HIGH COST state to do business in. Changing a synthetic surface back to dirt will bring some bettors and handle back, but IMO, it will not be the cure-all for what woes CA racing. Name recognition means much less today when the real chance to make a profit in racing exists at tracks with alternative sources of income (i.e. slots) and who are located in areas where the cost of living is lower.

toetoe
05-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Here's hoping they don't have to hire someone at $11,000,000 to "install" the dirt. :rolleyes: .

toussaud
05-15-2009, 09:52 PM
why does it cost so much more in cali?

at least with the bettors the purses will go up and they can justify the prices

slewis
05-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Could you elaborate on your toe grab thoughts? Thanks.

S. Mike,

I know I've posted some stats on PA and I have spoken candidly about this subject.

If you're being serious, ask me any specific questions and I'll answer them.

If you're winding me up (because I have numerously posted on this subject) well.. we'll move on...

Either way... I know I have statistical PROOF... the Jockey Club has 1 one-hundredth of the verifiable statistics I do....

Bobzilla
05-16-2009, 06:45 AM
If this has been previously noted,I missed it

From the April 24th CHRB meeting:
(A summary by the CHRB information officer,Mike Marten)

I'm just wondering if this is in anticipation of the Fairplex getting Hollywood's dates should the latter close for good. It's my understanding that Hollywood's end is imminent.