PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Park to go to 4 days a week

so.cal.fan
05-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Starting in June.
There just aren't enough entries.....they are getting cheap horses from Los Alamitos to fill races.
There are several factors that have brought this on.
It's a sad situation.
No end in sight either.
:(

Relwob Owner
05-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Starting in June.
There just aren't enough entries.....they are getting cheap horses from Los Alamitos to fill races.
It's a sad situation.
No end in sight either.

What is your opinion on how they monitor the trainer/drug situation out there? I have heard mixed reviews but since you seem to have a good grasp on it.....that is one of the factors that I dont hear written about much. A huge affect of the "Super Trainers" and the lack of enforcement when they do get caught is that owners just give up because it is like banging your heard against the wall.....I know that I wouldnt recommend owning to anyone because Im not sure they could put up with the crap I do and the trainers I often have to go up against.....sorry things are so tough out there..

rrbauer
05-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Starting in June.
Many insiders blame the trainers, past and present. Many have fleeced owners to the point where they just all give up the game.
This is just one factor, there are several. It's a sad situation.
No end in sight either.
Sounds like California to me. Let's find someone to blame instead of let's work together and fix the problem. There is NO LEADERSHIP in California racing. NONE. The most important issue (based on media coverage) is who keyed Jerry J's Jag.

andymays
05-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Starting in June.
It's a sad situation.
No end in sight either.

Where did you get the info?

so.cal.fan
05-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Rick, you're sure right about no leadership. It's beyond a joke, it's a tragedy.
I'm not qualified to answer the drug question.

so.cal.fan
05-14-2009, 10:10 PM
We heard it today at Hollywood Park from an official.
The CHRB had a meeting this morning.

andymays
05-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the information!

Greyfox
05-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Hopefully it will be 4 days and not 3 days and 1 Friday evening.
I quit playing Hol on Fridays.

so.cal.fan
05-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Sorry Greyfox, I share your view here.
They will race Thursday, Friday NIGHT, Saturday and Sunday.
You're probably not as sorry as I am! But lots of people like to go on Friday night. It is fun, I used to enjoy it, but getting too old....Saturday comes too early after getting home after midnight Friday nights.

macguy
05-14-2009, 10:34 PM
This brings about an interesting situation...

With a few of the big tracks going to 4 days weeks (Hollywood, Churchill) who's going to be racing on Wednesdays?

Most of the cheaper tracks try and run on the Mondays and Tuesdays.

Looks like the few remaining tracks that run on Wednesdays might end up with some pretty good handles.

sonnyp
05-14-2009, 11:14 PM
i see arnold is considering selling del mar. i posted in another thread...... the indians will end up owning ALL california tracks and under entitled legislation they will get slots and turn what is a disaster into a success.

unfortunately, without the "affirmative action" nobody else could pull it off.

so.cal.fan
05-14-2009, 11:20 PM
That's very interesting, SonnyP.
You might be right! I heard the San Manuels were interested in Santa Anita, but it is just a rumor. I don't think anyone really knows yet, at least no one I know.

Imriledup
05-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Hopefully it will be 4 days and not 3 days and 1 Friday evening.
I quit playing Hol on Fridays.

I dont go to Hol on Friday's either. Hard to concentrate on real horseplaying if you know what i mean.

cmoore
05-15-2009, 02:06 AM
I dont go to Hol on Friday's either. Hard to concentrate on real horseplaying if you know what i mean.

Too much Eye Candy Imriledup..:)

JustRalph
05-15-2009, 05:08 AM
I heard Arnold on the radio today, he said he is going to start selling State assets and lay off 8600 state employees if the " voters don't give us what we need"

I guess Del Mar is a State Asset

The Liberal Lab....... it is working so well.........

sandpit
05-15-2009, 07:38 AM
I heard Arnold on the radio today, he said he is going to start selling State assets and lay off 8600 state employees if the " voters don't give us what we need"

"Give us what we need"???...God, he sounds so much like every other whiny politician it is sickening...he doesn't have a clue, he and the rest of the CA state politicians work for the public, but he thinks it's the other way around.

Though I'm not a California resident, I love the state. But you have to wonder about the place when they recalled voted out one governor and got stuck with this steroid filled moron.

DJofSD
05-15-2009, 08:15 AM
"Give us what we need"???...God, he sounds so much like every other whiny politician it is sickening...he doesn't have a clue, he and the rest of the CA state politicians work for the public, but he thinks it's the other way around.

Though I'm not a California resident, I love the state. But you have to wonder about the place when they recalled voted out one governor and got stuck with this steroid filled moron.
It's a veiled threat.

There is a ballot proposition for an upcoming election that supposidly will straighten out the budget mess. Don't believe it for one second. What it will do is put an automatically adjusted ceiling into law so the legislature does not have to do their job.

toussaud
05-15-2009, 10:50 AM
tracks that run on wednesday off the top of my head, delaware, golden gate, belmont

this is a good thing

BlueShoe
05-15-2009, 01:43 PM
If Hol and CD go dark on Wednesdays,wonder if the California simulcast sites will even be open on Wednesday.Should be,still plenty of racing around the country.Would like to see Monmouth and Delaware sent in.Yavapai starts in a week,so that could be coming.Without Hollywoods 5 and 6 horse fields Wednesdays just could be a better day if we get a track with decent fields.

Lasix67
05-15-2009, 03:42 PM
I love Hollywood Park, especially Friday night racing, but with the recent problems with field sizes and the talk of redevelopment ramping up again, it seems to unfortunately be heading for a slow death. What a shame. This is becoming an all to familiar topic with some of the great racing facilities in this country. You either get slots and gaming or you die, and that is sad!

andymays
05-15-2009, 03:57 PM
The guy I know for the CHRB doesn't know anything about this and the racing calendar on the Hollywood website still has wednesdays up in June. ?????????????

It makes sense that they would do this though!

andymays
05-15-2009, 07:08 PM
The guy I know for the CHRB doesn't know anything about this and the racing calendar on the Hollywood website still has wednesdays up in June. ?????????????

It makes sense that they would do this though!

Sent to me just now! From DRF

Hollywood seeks four-day weeks
Four-day race weeks at Hollywood Park are right around the corner, if the California Horse Racing Board approves the track's request to reduce live racing, Hollywood vice president and general manager Eual Wyatt confirmed on Friday. Wyatt said he expected a decision later that day.
"We have petitioned the board to reduce our live racing to four days a week," Wyatt said.
If the CHRB grants the request, Wyatt said the reduced racing week would begin as soon as next week.
A shrinking horse inventory in Southern California has been problematic for Hollywood, which entered the Friday card averaging just 7.55 starters per race. Hollywood was scheduled for a six-day racing week next week, Wednesday through Memorial Day Monday, followed by an already scheduled four-day week May 28-31.

toussaud
05-15-2009, 10:20 PM
I love friday night racing. so much so I wish that all of socal tracks would do it.

nothing beats sitting home watching hollywood park, drinking rum and coke, betting the horses on a friday night. well execpt actually probably being at the track.