PDA

View Full Version : Exotics

benjamin2
05-14-2009, 09:45 PM
There seems to be a discrepancy regarding exactas amongst some players I know. I don't play with a large bank roll and am usually betting $1 exotics or $2 wins on horses I like that are also going off at least 7/1.

However, I never play any exotics (and hardly any plays at all for that matter) when a horse goes off at 8/5. I'm interested in knowing other people's cutoff.

PS. I'm loving Lone Star today!

dav4463
05-15-2009, 03:14 AM
I will play an 8/5 on top if I really like him. If a 33-1 shot runs second, then you still cash big bucks!

raybo
05-15-2009, 07:22 AM
I will play an 8/5 on top if I really like him. If a 33-1 shot runs second, then you still cash big bucks!

Same for supers. The winner's odds are not nearly as critical. Just make sure your other betting lines offer enough odds to create a good payout. Try the $.10 supers until you have a larger bankroll, then slowly increase to $.30, $.60, $1, $2, and up.

1st time lasix
05-15-2009, 09:24 AM
general rule of thumb....exactas are underlays with the favorite on top. Underlays if the favored horse is second to any other horse except the 2nd choice. In the tris you can ONLY play the favorite on top if you have a priced horse second. It also helps if you toss the 2nd or 3rd choice off completely. You must split chalk favorites in the tris and supers. The pick threes are underlays if the favorite wins the opening leg. In pick 4's you can play a chalk favorite in first leg...but you must omit any other morning line prohibited favorite in another leg. The essence of exotics is to have tickets that few others do....using your handicapping sence and opinion...not wild stabs. Another characteristic of winning exotic players is that they are open minded with their handicapping angles, are willing to spread a bit deeper when some chaos is expected and they are very patient.

kitts
05-15-2009, 02:00 PM
And you better have a healthy bankroll just for exotics. I know a player that is very successful and he plays exotics almost to the exclusion of win bets. He bets maybe $100-$200 per race. One day I asked him what size was his exotic bankroll and it was huge. I asked him why and he said that it is needed to compensate for those now and then 20+ losing bet streaks.

Now I do not sport such a large bankroll and I am a longshot player and have plenty of losing streaks so I just have to take it easy. Which is OK since I have learned the art of losing slowly.