PDA

View Full Version : My grandfather died today :-( so cliché but I'm going to Balt cuz he'd want me to

Zippy Chippy
05-14-2009, 04:54 PM
I was saddened today when I got the news that my grandfather died. After the shock and sadness wore off I went to orbitz.com to figure out my plan for cancelling my trip to Baltimore. Then I was thinking how I visited him last week and he was old and frail and I said "grandpa did u see the derby?" his face lit up like a kid on Christmas morning! "wasn't that something? Mine that bird was his name! Such a little horse but boy did he run" I was shocked that he had his wits about him so much as to know the horses name. When I ever told him I was going to pimlico he was so excited. "is that right? Wow!" something about seeing a person that can barely walk get that excited has to bring a tear to your eye! So half of me feels selfish for taking a trip while the rest of my family is home taking care of nana but the other half thinks my grandfather would kick me in the butt if I didn't go!

Plus I will be back in time for the funeral/wake

I might even make a bet for him :-)

joanied
05-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Zippy Chippy....
Sorry :( about your Grandpa...in your post I can tell you loved him...it's wonderful you got to have that last conversation with him, and his lighting up talking about the Derby and MTB...you wouldn't want him to kick your butt...IMO...go to the Preakness, think of your Grandpa all day, and yes...bet MTB for him, and win or loose, save the ticket and when you go to the funeral, place the ticket on his grave.

SmartyLane
05-14-2009, 05:05 PM
You better throw a few bucks down on MTB for him......sorry to hear the loss but you know he would want you at that race

Zippy Chippy
05-14-2009, 05:20 PM
You better throw a few bucks down on MTB for him......sorry to hear the loss but you know he would want you at that race

Thx I'm not tring to bring sad news to the forum it's actually crazy that I haven't seen him in a couple months and it just so happened I went over Sunday and our last words were horse racing

46zilzal
05-14-2009, 05:37 PM
You are lucky to have known him. I think the biggest cheat in our lifetime is NOT being around our grandparents when we ourselves are adults.

cj's dad
05-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Play any and all #'s that meant anything to him - b'day- anniversary- age - etc... you get my drift - remember, he'll be looking down on you and smiling !!

Sorry for your loss .

BELMONT 6-6-09
05-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Nice touch Zippy...I'm sure he was a good man and he is smiling down on you, what a nice tribute to him by attending on 'the big day'.

CryingForTheHorses
05-14-2009, 07:21 PM
You very lucky Zippy!!!....What I do remember about my grandparents I was a little kid and they were so old,Both passed before I was five. Cherish the memories and pray to god your childrens children will want to know you. God Bless your grampa and god bless you for loving him..Now go bet that horse..

Steve 'StatMan'
05-14-2009, 07:45 PM
So sorry for your loss Zippy. I think you're doing the right thing if you'll be back for the wake/funeral, glad they are able to work out the scheduling that way. Be supportive of your nana and family as best you can during the trip, make the trip and enjoy it, and come back with the inner excitement of the experience, know your grandfather's spirit will be with you, and come back for the wake/funeral for them all full of your love. God Bless.

Indian Charlie
05-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Zip,

Sorry about your grandfather. What a great story that his eyes lit up when you asked him about the Derby. My uncle and grandfather and both gone, but they would take me to Aqueduct in the late 70s early 80s. My uncle was generous and a chalk player. My grandad was cheap - a $2 player. Nothing but longshots. One day, he hit a $600 exacta for $2. I asked him for a piece. he handed me $2. I said, "are you kidding me?" He handed me another five.

Great days, as I'm sure you had with your granddad. May he rest in peace at the racetrack in the sky.

Imriledup
05-14-2009, 09:06 PM
My condolences ZC. I had a similar situation with a loved one many years back and i too went and did something because i knew my loved one would have wanted me to go on with my life. Enjoy the race if you decide to go.

nijinski
05-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Sorry about your loss Zippy, cherish the memories.

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2009, 04:56 AM
Very sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing....

Quagmire
05-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Sorry for your loss Zippy. I will always be grateful to my late grandfather for letting me tag along to Belmont and Roosevelt when I was a kid. He is the reason I am a fan of this game today. Best of luck on Sat and put a few bets down for your grandfather.