PDA

View Full Version : Get your Derby longshot right here

Shacopate
04-29-2003, 09:55 PM
I honestly believe that Sir Cherokee has a punchers chance to win the roses at a big price.

I know that Oaklawn can produce inflated figs and faster than normal closing fractions and I think most serious handicappers will discard the horse on that fact. PRICE.

I am very quick to jump on the bandwagon of a rapidly improving 3 year-old in any race.

Of course, Euguenes Third Son is no Empire Maker, but the horse has a great foundation under him. He was fourth in the JCGC at CD last year, closing strongly while 9 wide and had a troubled trip in the Rebel.

I would love to see Bobby Frankel get his derby and Empire Maker is the horse to beat, but...

You know the rest.

A side note: www.keeneland.com shows FREE race replays of the spring meet. Anyone playing Churchill might want to check it out.

Kentucky Bred
04-29-2003, 10:15 PM
There is absolutely no other horse in this race that can show such dominating closing kicks as Sir Cherokee. They are unbelievable. I love closers and live for them. But the problem is he has to do it through a bunch of horses. Also, I'm thinking we've got a Derby with a bit less pace than previous years.

Not taking anything away from War Emblem, but he demonstrated first class front speed WHILE all the other horses were slamming into each other. It's tough on that first turn with all those horses jockeying for positon while negotiating a turn Many Derbys were won right there, not in the stretch.

Kentucky Bred

Shacopate
04-29-2003, 11:09 PM
The pace scenario is a concern. There doesn't appear to be any alpha frontrunners here. I think Indian Express or Peace Rules may get the lead by default. Anyway, I'm praying for rain and a fast pace.

I'm probably gonna come up dry. (haha)

This is definitely my favorite time of year. Just wish the Cats had had a healthy Bogans.

Peace rules, but not in the derby.

plainolebill
04-30-2003, 01:27 AM
I've got a sneaky suspicion that there will be a solid pace. But unless someone gets loose on the lead, I don't think it matters a whole lot. If that deep closer can run 2:00, he's going to pass the ones that can only do 2:01 regardless of pace. Or vice versa.