PDA

View Full Version : New Analysis Tool: Need volunteers...

RobinFromIreland
05-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Right now I'm building a simple but very innovative free handicapping tool.

It simply takes a racing chart (result) data file that you provide and transforms it into something that is (hopefully) a lot more interesting and useful.

However, being not from these shores (although I've been living in NYC for the summer) I'm not too familiar with what are the most popular data files in use.

First of all, I need to write code to parse each data file. Therefore, please reply and say what data file you are using and, optionally, what other data files you wish to be supported.

I'll then go to that supplier's website and take one of the sample files and work from that, or if there isn't one available I'll just buy one race result data file.

I'll launch this service (over the next week or two) and, for those that list their interest below, you'll be notified when it's ready and have the first go at it!

dartman51
05-13-2009, 11:26 PM
The xrd results files from TSN or BRIS are probably the most common.

DeadHeat
05-14-2009, 01:37 AM
It will be interesting to find out what you have in mind. Also, You won't need to download both (Brisnet's is easier to find) because I believe they are both the same.

They do contain the least amount fo information as far a results files go though, but most users I believe use them because they are the cheapest.

DH

CBedo
05-14-2009, 02:41 AM
The xrds don't have enough info. I use the comprehenisve chart files from BRIS. They provide most of the information you need to reproduce the pdf charts.

sjk
05-14-2009, 06:01 AM
Good to hear that chart parsing is making a come back. I parsed them from 1993 to around 2005 when the pdf conversion made me throw up my hands and find a place to just buy the data.

It is generous of you to make the offer although I am personally not interested in going back.

Tom
05-14-2009, 07:36 AM
Are you looking to take comma result files and do something with them?

Pcon04
05-14-2009, 08:44 AM
i use xrd files now but if have something diff the comma charts would

be good and may worth the monthly fee
GL
pcon

RobinFromIreland
05-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Ok so it took me a while to realize that XRD referred to the Exotic Data Files from TSN/Brisnet. Unfortunately they are too sparse on information.

What I need are data files that show full chart information: the positions and lengths back at each call point, the fractional times and odds per runner (if possible).

It seems things like TSN ProCaps files are suitable. Would these be popular? What other suitable data files would you like to see supported?

Pcon04
05-14-2009, 10:28 AM
are u talking results charts or data files..Bris has data files as well

as tsn pro caps.. I don't think tsn has charts I could be wrong..

I'm a bit confused!!!

Pcon

RobinFromIreland
05-14-2009, 10:38 AM
are u talking results charts or data files..Bris has data files as well

as tsn pro caps.. I don't think tsn has charts I could be wrong..

I'm a bit confused!!!

Pcon

Ok I must be using the wrong terminology. I'll be using data files (comma-delimited, XML, JSON - anything machine readable - not PDFs) of full race results (they contain info about position and lengths behind at each call etc).

I mentioned TSN and ProCaps as that's where I saw them mentioned together (http://www.tsnhorse.com/cgi-bin/HTML/products.html).

Hope that's clearer ?

Pcon04
05-14-2009, 10:42 AM
thanks for answer!!!
bris data files cost a 1.00.. they have the drf speed rating and track

variant.. I prefer those.. just my choice

Pcon

RobinFromIreland
05-14-2009, 11:04 AM
thanks for answer!!!
bris data files cost a 1.00.. they have the drf speed rating and track

variant.. I prefer those.. just my choice

Pcon

Is "variant" a supplier? What do you mean?

Tom
05-14-2009, 11:34 AM
DRF Speed rating/track variant - ie, 85-13...13 means track was 13 ticks off the 3 year best time, on average, that day. 85+13 = 98, horse performed below the average (slower).

dartman51
05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Follow this link, http://www.drf.com/help/help_speedrate.html , and it will explain what BEYER ratings are and the DRF SPEED ratings and TRACK VARIANTS are, and how they are computed. The SR/TV are old school and I don't believe that many people still use them. Yes, there are a few, but with the advent of BEYER RATINGS, it has made the SR/TV almost obsolete. That comment will probably raise the ire of a few here, but that is fact. How else can you explain the popularity of the BEYER figures. TSN has their own SPEED figures that in my opinion, are as good as BRIS. The MAIN thing to remember is that you can't mix them. If you use BRIS, you don't want to mix in TSN, especially if you are building a data base. And the same applies the other way.

RobinFromIreland
05-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Tom, dartman51, thanks for your help in explaining some terms.

My work though is not based around building a database; it's more of a race review tool. So all I need is basically a data file (machine readable) that contains most of the information contained in one of those PDF race result chart files e.g. http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/CD050209USA11.pdf?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Y yc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

I'm starting with the ProCaps file; then I'll move on to other files - so I still need suggestions/requests of other data file formats to tackle next.

wes
05-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Comprehensive Charts Files, listed under results files on Bris BB for 50 cents each.

wes

RobinFromIreland
05-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Unfortunately after examining both the ProCaps and XRD data files, neither are what I need.

The ProCaps files are PPs and I need race result data.

The XRD files don't have the fractional or call data.

However the BRIS Comprehensive Charts Files that wes mentioned are perfect - albeit separated over 6 files :rolleyes:

I'm going to work with the sample on the BRIS Samples page, but if anyone uses these files regularly, please get in touch.

Also, are there any other suppliers that provide such data in CSV/XML format? Popular?

Do many people buy the Comprehensive files?

jldonah
05-14-2009, 08:17 PM
from bris. They are only available for the day of the race. Get to them from the supertote "results" button.

RobinFromIreland
05-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks! Actually now I see the BRIS Import Chart Files are exactly what I want! :) One file so much simpler.

Except probably nobody uses them... :bang:

Either way, I'll work with the sample and see how it goes...

KPMats10
05-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I use the BRIS Import Chart files data files.

raybo
05-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks! Actually now I see the BRIS Import Chart Files are exactly what I want! :) One file so much simpler.

Except probably nobody uses them... :bang:

Either way, I'll work with the sample and see how it goes...

These are the best results files, best bang for your buck. Plenty of info.

BIG49010
05-18-2009, 05:46 AM
I've been using the Import Charts for 10 years, they are very easy to use.

dutzman
05-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Right now I'm building a simple but very innovative free handicapping tool.

It simply takes a racing chart (result) data file that you provide and transforms it into something that is (hopefully) a lot more interesting and useful.

However, being not from these shores (although I've been living in NYC for the summer) I'm not too familiar with what are the most popular data files in use.

First of all, I need to write code to parse each data file. Therefore, please reply and say what data file you are using and, optionally, what other data files you wish to be supported.

I'll then go to that supplier's website and take one of the sample files and work from that, or if there isn't one available I'll just buy one race result data file.

I'll launch this service (over the next week or two) and, for those that list their interest below, you'll be notified when it's ready and have the first go at it!

How is this coming along? I am really interested in a program like this, as I analyze results charts the old fashioned way....download the *.pdf, figure up split times, note trips, bias, potential key races, etc... I would love to use a program that would give me data I could organize and use in a more efficient way than the pen/paper method.

It's not as a laborious task for me now (I happen to enjoy it) as I only really follow one circuit.

RobinFromIreland
05-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Hi dutzman, thanks for you interest.

Things are going somewhat slower than I hoped due to work/family/startup/girlfriend commitments but I will have something soon. Fingers crossed, before the Belmont Stakes. Note that first release is going to be somewhat crude as I can only devote time here and there to it.

Also, I think what I'll produce will suit your needs very well indeed. This is mostly a proof-of-concept at the moment but I many other ideas and as a tool suite it may grow into something more defined.

However let me say, this tool helps you analyze races, it doesn't produce some magic number at the end. Only what is fed into the program in the result data chart is used, nothing else.

Again, forgive the evasiveness, but it will be a nice surprise when I can finally show it off. I may build a video demo first to show it in action and to give a running explanation. It's not that what's being displayed is difficult to grasp (quite the contrary) - but I can show the many different ways it can be used.

dutzman
05-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Magic number is something I am NOT looking for. I'm just looking for a more simple way to analyze result charts, as I think about picking up another circuit to follow intently....