PDA

View Full Version : Updates are ready for your computer

goforgin
05-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Each time I sign-on I get a little gold shield in the bottom right-hand corner saying "Updates are ready for your computer. Click here to install these updates." I install and it says completed. But, the next time I sign-on, the same gold shield appears again, and so on. If I do not click and update, I get the update on the "Turn Off", it says it updates, but then when I sign-on again it's back. Seems it installs, but never really takes? Reappears each time I sign back in?

dutchboy
05-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Could it be your anti-virus program? Mine checks for updates the first time each day I log in to the internet and the updates are installed automatically.

goforgin
05-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Could it be your anti-virus program? Mine checks for updates the first time each day I log in to the internet and the updates are installed automatically.
I'm thinking that's what it is, but I've never had it happen before. Usually it updates, for some reason it's not?

DJofSD
05-14-2009, 09:41 PM
The update activity is for Windows? What flavor of Windows, XP or Vista?

If you run the Windows Update process, do you see anything in the list of available updates?

It seems like my systems have had a Windows Defender update every day for the last week. That is somewhat of an exaggeration but I have had a number of them. If the next time you see the shield on the power button icon under Start, do not proceed with the shutdown but instead select the Windows Update then look at the list of available updates. If there is an update available then try to install it from Windows Update. If it is successful then the gold shield will be removed from your power off icon.

Hopefully others like JustRalph and Tom will post their thoughts too.

Dave Schwartz
05-15-2009, 12:17 AM
1. Boot your system.
2. Empty the WIndows\Prefetch folder.
3. Reboot.

The problem may go away.

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2009, 05:00 AM
It also depends on what you've updated. If you have it set to "tell me about updates, but don't install unless I tell you to", and you don't install all of the updates, there could be a ton of updates waiting for you....and some updates depend on OTHER updates to be installed before they are even offered to you!

So, there is more than one reason why you might be getting all these update notices...many of them valid.

goforgin
05-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks for everyone's help. I got some info from a teckie at work who directed me to Microsoft's site. This issue has been a mess. Gives some crazy procedures to fix. Copy the update to your desktop, re-boot and then click F8 to SafeMode with Networking. Then download there? Why can't Softy simply send a patch or something to fix this? Very frustrating. I'm going to confirm with another teckie I know before I try their fix. Hate to blow up my computer. :bang: