PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network new racing service

BillW
05-13-2009, 03:10 PM
posted on BH a little over an hour ago:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50746/proposed-network-to-offer-80-racing-feeds?id=50746&source=rss

A new subscription channel called Racetrack Television Network is scheduled to be launched on DISH Network by September, it was announced May 13.

The new channel, which was formed by agreement between the existing Racetrack Television Network and HorseRacing TV, or HRTV, will consist of 80 channels of live Thoroughbred, Quarter Horse, Harness, and Greyhound racing, according to a news release.

Watcher
05-13-2009, 03:14 PM
$50 extra a month... good for devoted racing fans :ThmbUp: , not good for attracting new racing viewers... :ThmbDown:

BillW
05-13-2009, 03:15 PM
$50 extra a month... good for devoted racing fans :ThmbUp: , not good for attracting new racing viewers... :ThmbDown:

I don't think they are dropping the HRTV/TVG service that they have now.

rrbauer
05-14-2009, 02:11 AM
RCS is $100 month now as a standalone service with some limits to the number of tracks you can follow.

thruncy
05-14-2009, 04:35 AM
RCS is $100 month now as a standalone service with some limits to the number of tracks you can follow.Now requires a separate dish, too.

Cubbymac26
05-14-2009, 05:27 AM
Funny story about this 2 years ago my best friend calls me up and says "rob get over here your not going to believe what I got I walk in the door and all I hear is heeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr comes rusty" I couldn't believe it so this has been around for a while and u do need a seperate dish but if u like racing that's it.... They even had will Rodgers downs... As bad as it gets

Mineshaft
05-14-2009, 08:10 AM
I don't think they are dropping the HRTV/TVG service that they have now.

I hope not i will be pissed if they do.

pandy
05-14-2009, 09:37 AM
I hope not i will be pissed if they do.

It sounds like HRTV is part of the RTN deal, so that will stay, but I wouldn't be suprised if Dish drops TVG because that's in direct competition with this $50 package they're trying to sell.

ryesteve
05-14-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm glad this isn't available on cable... even though it's hardly worth the money, I still might be really tempted...

BreadandButter
05-14-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm really surprised that many posters aren't interested in this service. Once you're able to watch the races on television there's no going back to watching it on the computer. I enjoy being able to watch the races while having lunch in the kitchen then bouncing back over to my office and not missing a beat. Then if you add in the DVR capabilities of the IRDs with Dish everyone should be thrilled.

As far as HD broadcasts that's more on the tracks getting the HD equipment than Dish or RTN. I believe Churchill is currently the only track broadcasting races day in and day out in HD.

The price of $50 is great in my opinion. I'm currently paying $99 a month for RTN - which I also think is a very good deal. I've paid $96 for a table at Del Mar (wasn't even opening day). Anyone that's going to a simulcast center on a regular basis is probably spending more than $50 a month in fuel costs not to mention the time wasted on the commute.

As far as the Directv vs Dish debate - yes, it's not ideal. I have Dish for the majority of my programming and Directv just for the NFL package. It can all be seamlessly integrated and you only pay Directv for the NFL package no other programming.

magwell
05-14-2009, 11:56 AM
I'd be glad to pay 50 a month to watch the races on T.V. if it was without commercials. :)

thruncy
05-14-2009, 12:10 PM
It sounds like HRTV is part of the RTN deal, so that will stay, but I wouldn't be suprised if Dish drops TVG because that's in direct competition with this $50 package they're trying to sell.TVG is an ADW service also. RTN/HRTV have no connection with wagering; and TVG has exclusivity at certain big market tracks...DMR, KEE, HOL Good people at HRTV; but the graphics don't compare with TVG.

Grits
05-14-2009, 12:25 PM
B&B, I'm amazed by the complaints. Especially given the note the channel plans to offer a 12 track per day package for as little as $29.95 per month. There's no comparison in regard to which is better, viewing--one's 4x4 or full screen computer offering or one's television. I don't care how clear TwinSpires may be online, or how good the service is.

For all the men here that say "betting from home can't be beat, I love my computer" there are others, still, complaining about $50 for the option of races all over North America every day.

A longtime friend, who has played for a living was thrilled with it and stated, "I'd pay 3 times that for the DRF going to the track everyday, not too mention adding food and drink and gas for my automobile."

A fine dinner, for one, is in excess of $50. Having my dog groomed is more than $50.

CHEAP is something difficult for me to abide. I have a family member who fits this description, and proudly so. He's world class cheap.

About his penny pinching ways, I've told his wife, "when he dies, look at your joint bank accounts. Write a check for the full amount. At the viewing, walk up to his casket, and stick it in his suit pocket. This way, he can take every damn cent of it with him.":rolleyes:

Valuist
05-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Computer feeds=brutal. I'd definitely be tempted to pay for the Dish service although if they keep TVG in addition to HRTV, I really probably wouldn't need it. Gotta give DISH credit; 2 racing channels for about $40/month right now. At least they aren't anti-racing.

CBedo
05-14-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm really surprised that many posters aren't interested in this service. Once you're able to watch the races on television there's no going back to watching it on the computer. I enjoy being able to watch the races while having lunch in the kitchen then bouncing back over to my office and not missing a beat. Then if you add in the DVR capabilities of the IRDs with Dish everyone should be thrilled.

As far as HD broadcasts that's more on the tracks getting the HD equipment than Dish or RTN. I believe Churchill is currently the only track broadcasting races day in and day out in HD.

The price of $50 is great in my opinion. I'm currently paying $99 a month for RTN - which I also think is a very good deal. I've paid $96 for a table at Del Mar (wasn't even opening day). Anyone that's going to a simulcast center on a regular basis is probably spending more than $50 a month in fuel costs not to mention the time wasted on the commute.

As far as the Directv vs Dish debate - yes, it's not ideal. I have Dish for the majority of my programming and Directv just for the NFL package. It can all be seamlessly integrated and you only pay Directv for the NFL package no other programming.
I agree completely. Sounds great to me. Directv still has me because of the NFL package currently.

Imriledup
06-22-2009, 05:32 AM
I was perusing the dish network website and didn't find anything on there about this channel. Maybe i'm not looking in the right place?

CBedo
06-22-2009, 09:43 AM
I actually just looked this up yesterday. The service will be available in September (says the press release anyway).

http://dish.client.shareholder.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=383801

BIG49010
10-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Any news on this?

BillW
10-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Any news on this?

Last I heard it was pushed out into Nov. We have a Dish employee on this site looking out for it.

Valuist
10-27-2009, 07:54 PM
The NFL Red Zone is great for NFL fans. No need for Direct TV now. The Red Zone covers all the games and its commercial free. Its definitely football on crack.

phatbastard
10-27-2009, 08:01 PM
i rarely watch even my beloved iggles now that RedZone is on...great for gamblers and fantasy peeps alike

Pace Cap'n
10-27-2009, 08:38 PM
<3 The Red Zone

cwwash
10-28-2009, 01:24 AM
A lot of the bigger tracks are not on the menu there.

cwwash
10-28-2009, 01:25 AM
The Read Zone is the greatest channel for the gambler since sliced bread.

jimmac
10-28-2009, 01:38 AM
Twin Spires is the way to go!!!

BobbyMcMuffin
10-28-2009, 09:54 AM
A lot of the bigger tracks are not on the menu there.

Alot of them are now. Pay no attention to the tracks available list on the RTN website. It hasnt been updated in nearly a year. Probably more than half of what they say they dont carry they actually do.