PDA

View Full Version : Where to park Saturday? Drive? Cab? Copter? Someone help

Zippy Chippy
05-13-2009, 10:43 AM
In my 34 years I don't think i've ever been so frustrated making plans for an event! I've spoken to 3 or 4 hotels and they are barely aware that there is a race going on. I've looked everywhere and can't get an answer. Cj's dad on here has been great giving me advice. I just wanna know what's best. Do I drive to the track? Get a cab? Is there a shuttle? Any advice is appreciated

cj
05-13-2009, 10:49 AM
The best thing to do is search for a Light Rail station near where you are staying. Just park there, and take the train. That is how I would do it.

philcski
05-13-2009, 11:37 AM
In my 34 years I don't think i've ever been so frustrated making plans for an event! I've spoken to 3 or 4 hotels and they are barely aware that there is a race going on. I've looked everywhere and can't get an answer. Cj's dad on here has been great giving me advice. I just wanna know what's best. Do I drive to the track? Get a cab? Is there a shuttle? Any advice is appreciated

Where are you staying?

Smarty Cide
05-13-2009, 11:58 AM
id take a cab

Zippy Chippy
05-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Where are you staying?
Courtyard marriot @ airport! I rented a car

cj
05-13-2009, 12:47 PM
There is a Light Rail station at BWI. Take it to Cold Spring, then there are shuttles. It is very easy.

philcski
05-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Courtyard marriot @ airport! I rented a car

There is a Light Rail station at BWI. Take it to Cold Spring, then there are shuttles. It is very easy.

CJ's plan is great. took amtrak down last year to BWI and stayed there, (had always driven in the past- or in college, the yellow drunk buses :lol: ), and taking the Light Rail is very convienent. Probably don't even need a car! although it is a bit of a walk from the hotels to the station (maybe a mile.)

Zippy Chippy
05-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Wow thanks a lot for the info

cj
05-13-2009, 01:16 PM
No problem. I believe your hotel has shuttles to the airport if I remember right. I'm pretty sure I stayed there once.

Zippy Chippy
05-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Wow thanks a lot for the info

Now I just have to find a way to get a ticket

cj
05-13-2009, 01:24 PM
There are ticket machines at the stops.

Tom
05-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Hey Zippy, have fun!
I love Pimlico...I was there in '79 for the Bid.
But after going to the track Friday and waiting an hour and a half to get out of the parking lot! I watched the race on TV from my hotel across the street from Penn National! Wish I knew about Light Rail back then...if they had it.

GOOD LUCK!

cj
05-13-2009, 02:17 PM
I think that far back horse and carriage was available.

Zippy Chippy
05-13-2009, 02:53 PM
There are ticket machines at the stops.
Ha I mean to the race! I think I'm gonna go in and try to find a scalper

hencicleva
05-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Despite having long ago paid $60 for a parking pass I'm now wondering about public transport instead. There is of course absolutely no mention of it on the Pimlico website, I'll try Maryland MTA. I'll be coming in East on I70.
I had great advice from this board on taking my daughter to Keeneland (preferred to Aqueduct in the end) so any further info on traffic would be great. It seems most of her 10th birthday will be in the car. No prizes for guessing my daughter's new love.

cj's dad
05-13-2009, 04:45 PM

I think that's the train that goes to Cold Spring - doesn't the light rail go thru downtown after passing camden yards and ending up at Timonium/Hunt Valley

Zippy Chippy
05-13-2009, 05:20 PM
I think that's the train that goes to Cold Spring - doesn't the light rail go thru downtown after passing camden yards and ending up at Timonium/Hunt Valley
this is something I'll definitly need to know LOL

philcski
05-13-2009, 05:27 PM

Light Rail stops at Cold Spring Ln, right next to I-83, they have buses right at the stop. The subway goes to Rogers Ave but the time I took that I had to walk. (? I may have missed the shuttle.) From the airport you can get on the Light Rail and ride it all the way to Cold Spring, no need to change. Good quick tour of Baltimore, too. :)

cj
05-13-2009, 05:34 PM

There are two lines, though both share many of the stops.

cj's dad
05-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Light Rail stops at Cold Spring Ln, right next to I-83, they have buses right at the stop. The subway goes to Rogers Ave but the time I took that I had to walk. (? I may have missed the shuttle.) From the airport you can get on the Light Rail and ride it all the way to Cold Spring, no need to change. Good quick tour of Baltimore, too. :)

He's right Todd, I forgot about that. You'll be fine, easy commute; should take 30 - 40 minutes not counting the shuttle bus.

slewis
05-13-2009, 05:37 PM

CJ,
Thats good info to know .. thanks... I was gonna take a cab from BWI...

Maybe I'll train it instead.....

Any other tips for/from those who are going and know would be great!

cj
05-13-2009, 05:39 PM
The light rail is $3.50 round trip I believe, a cab that far probably minimum $75.

Zippy Chippy
05-13-2009, 05:56 PM
The light rail is $3.50 round trip I believe, a cab that far probably minimum $75.
Cj you made my day! I appreciate it! Cj's dad I'll give u a holler friday