PDA

View Full Version : Ahmed Zayat Off Base With Comments

Stevie Belmont
05-13-2009, 10:38 AM
This is from today's NY Post in Ray Kerrison's Article

Rachel's Wild, Bumpy Ride (http://www.nypost.com/seven/05132009/sports/horseracing/rachels_wild__bumpy_ride_169031.htm)

Why is it that everyone has to question the wisdom of running Rachel Alexandra in the Preakness? She is a champion thoroughbred, that’s what they do, they run in championship races.

The Oaks was nothing more than a public workout. Her new connections would know if she was a spent horse, and not run her if they felt she could not handle it.

Ahmed Zayat made some comments, some positive, and some, well I feel were not needed, or warranted.

Bringing up the Eight Belles tragedy from last year was not needed in any way, shape or form. "Does out sport need another Eight Belles,” Ahmed Zayat asked. He goes on, "We all know what happened to Ruffian" Why even go there a few days before the Preakness?

Every time a filly runs against the colts, an impending disaster looms? No there is not. It’s almost fear mongering.

I don’t like it. I have no issues with them entering as many horses as they want to keep her out. They nominated their horses to the Triple Crown, so be it. It’s a business. They want to win, and they know she is talented, and a huge threat to win. That’s the reason they attempted to do it.

Just leave Eight Belles and Ruffian out of it. No place for that type of stuff.

LottaKash
05-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Eight Belles and Ruffian were just two of many horses that got hurt doing their intended jobs....They got hurt at work, that's all..

Look at how many other people get hurt on their everyday jobs....How about Pro-sportsmen, in fact all sports-participants, that get hurt doing the job of sports.....It's a matter of course for all athletes who particiapate in sports to recieve injuries, it's part of the deal....

This girl horse issue is way out of proportion, I think.........

best,

812crew
05-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Anytime you make an argument where one of your examples is now 34 years old, you're stretching to make a point. What happened to Ruffian was a tragedy, obviously, but I'm kind of amazed that people are using it as a comparison for this year's Triple Crown (if the argument was about match races, then I could see their point).

toussaud
05-13-2009, 01:51 PM
I mean we all know what happened to barbaro.. we should just not run the preakness at all. we can't deal with that type of tragedy.

Stevie Belmont
05-13-2009, 01:59 PM
I butchered that, this is a little better

Ray Kerrison’s article is from today’s NY Post

Rachel’s Wild, Bumpy Ride (http://www.nypost.com/seven/05132009/sports/horseracing/rachels_wild__bumpy_ride_169031.htm)

Why is it that everyone has to question the wisdom of running Rachel Alexandra in the Preakness Stakes? She is a champion thoroughbred, and that’s what they do—they run in championship races.

The Kentucky Oaks was nothing more than a public workout. Her new connections would know if she was a spent horse, and they would not run her if they felt she could not handle it. She is ready to rumble.

Ahmed Zayat made some comments—some positive, and some, well I feel were not needed, or warranted.

Bringing up the Eight Belles tragedy from last year was not needed in any way, shape, or form. “Does our sport need another Eight Belles?”, Ahmed Zayat asked. He goes on, “We all know what happened to Ruffian“. Why even go there a few days before the Preakness Stakes?

Every time a filly runs against the colts an impending disaster looms? No. It does not. It’s almost fear mongering.

I don’t like it. I have no issues with them entering as many horses as they want to keep her out. They nominated their horses to the Triple Crown, so be it. It’s a business. They want to win, and they know she is talented, and a huge threat to win. That’s the reason they attempted to do it.

Just leave Eight Belles and Ruffian out of it. No place for that type of stuff.

David-LV
05-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Let us stop beating up on Ahmad Zayat.

He has invested over 20 million dollars in this sport or is it a business ?

These whale horse owners are far and few between these days.

He has the legal right to enter all 22 of his nominated horses in the Preakness if he so chooses.

He put up his cash when he nominated these horses to the triple crown and if history tell us anything anyone can win a race on a given day.

That is why we still have to run the race.

_________
David-LV

miesque
05-13-2009, 03:16 PM

He has the legal right to enter all 22 of his nominated horses in the Preakness if he so chooses.

He put up his cash when he nominated these horses to the triple crown and if history tell us anything anyone can win a race on a given day.

_________
David-LV

I agree with you, Zayat was well within his rights and lets face it, the reason this got so much attention is because he started talking about it and then tried to publicly rationalize it when people responded negatively. If it was the Microsoft Stable owned by Bill Gates I am pretty confident both the manner in which it was handled and the outcome would have been quite different.

bishlap
05-13-2009, 04:38 PM
enough already with this PHONY! How much more insincere can one get? He's concerned about another horse-my azz, he's concerned w/ what's best for #1. This is no differen't than when an athlete says, "It's not about the money." IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT THE $MONEY$.... Anyway, I still can't get that Mr. B./ Zayat interview out of my head... I keep hearing The Iron Shiek and vince McMahon jr. :eek:

toussaud
05-13-2009, 04:39 PM

_________
David-LV

you go with that.

thespaah
05-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Eight Belles and Ruffian were just two of many horses that got hurt doing their intended jobs....They got hurt at work, that's all..

Look at how many other people get hurt on their everyday jobs....How about Pro-sportsmen, in fact all sports-participants, that get hurt doing the job of sports.....It's a matter of course for all athletes who particiapate in sports to recieve injuries, it's part of the deal....

This girl horse issue is way out of proportion, I think.........

best,
Miesque, Pebbles, Royal Heroine, Genuine Risk, Epitome, Winning Colors. Need I say more.
I am sure I have missed fillies and mares who have beaten the boys.

thespaah
05-13-2009, 07:30 PM

_________
David-LV
So let me get tyhis straight. Ahmad Zayat can say what he wishes without being questioned because he's invested heavily in the sport. Ok.:rolleyes: .

David-LV
05-13-2009, 09:11 PM
So let me get tyhis straight. Ahmad Zayat can say what he wishes without being questioned because he's invested heavily in the sport. Ok.:rolleyes: .

Last time I checked this is still a free country.

It's called freedom of speech.

Relwob Owner
05-13-2009, 09:15 PM

He didnt say that he shouldnt be allowed to say it....he said he shouldnt be allowed to say it without being questioned, which I agree with....

David-LV
05-13-2009, 09:20 PM
He didnt say that he shouldnt be allowed to say it....he said he shouldnt be allowed to say it without being questioned, which I agree with....

Agreed.:)

Relwob Owner
05-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Agreed.:)

nice....plus, if guys like him never opened their mouths, there would be less to talk about!

CincyHorseplayer
05-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Zayat certainly has earned the right to his opinion but when he cites tragedies in the game,that he wants to avoid for the better of the game,because the game itself is worthy above all,he shouldn't talk about or exercise his will by keeping the best cast of characters out of a premier race,if indeed he is worried about what is best for the game.

This street level classic question should be asked him;"Are you scared??"

If you're scared,say you're scared!!This isn't about rights or nobility of intentions.He's friggin scared of losing!!!!

thespaah
05-13-2009, 10:08 PM

Freedom of speech cuts both ways. The right to freedom of speech is not absolute.
End of political discussion.

Imriledup
05-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Ruffian was a high powered horse, her accident wasn't caused by her rival being a male. The accident happened at a point in the race when horses were not 'straining for every ounce of energy'. The people who think Ruffian broke down because she raced a male need to be called out. Supposedly, the theory goes, that male racehorses are much stronger and physically more gifted than the fillies and when fillies 'challenge' males and get injured because they are trying their hardest and that's why they get injured. What's the difference between that and two horses of the same sex straining against each other? If one horse of the same sex is far superior to another horse of the same sex, isnt' it 'supposedly' dangerous for the inferior horse to be 'straining'? What does gender have to do with anything?

Ruffian broke down at a point in the race when the horses were just getting into a medium speed gallop, she wasn't straining for all her might because this happened on the backstretch and not in the homestretch.

If Go For Wand's accident had been vs males, would there have been a public outrcy? She broke down vs Fillies, where's the logic?

Also, one more thing about Ruffian. She had a problem switching leads. Every video i've ever seen of her she was on the wrong lead in the homestretch. Horses don't switch because they are either inexperienced and don't know how, or they are poorly built from a conformation standpoint and are more 'comfortable' on the improper lead. I think that Ruffian was fairly experienced when she had her accident, so it might have had something to do with her not being built 'to last' but i'm fairly certain she didn't break down because a male racehorse was right alongside her.

oddsmaven
05-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Zayat's comments about the filly are a combination of whining, a total lack of sportmanship, in poor taste and completely disingenious...he's not concerned about a potential breakdown of the filly but rather is left to grasp at straws due to the frustration of seeing his winning chances suddenly go from pretty good to not nearly as likely.

Imriledup
05-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Zayat's comments about the filly are a combination of whining, a total lack of sportmanship, in poor taste and completely disingenious...he's not concerned about a potential breakdown of the filly but rather is left to grasp at straws due to the frustration of seeing his winning chances suddenly go from pretty good to not nearly as likely.

Amen!

ryesteve
05-14-2009, 09:43 AM
I think that Ruffian was fairly experienced when she had her accident, so it might have had something to do with her not being built 'to last' ... or it might have something to do with them scraping so much dirt off the track because they want to see them break 1:50 for 10 furlongs

David-LV
05-14-2009, 10:11 AM
... or it might have something to do with them scraping so much dirt off the track because they want to see them break 1:50 for 10 furlongs

Amen, you have a real good memory. :)

_______
David-LV

thespaah
05-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Bingo!!!