PDA

View Full Version : What would be the best Preakness result for the game or horse racing?

Zippy Chippy
05-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Would it be MTB or RA winning? theres only 2 possibilities..

What would be the best story? Put the sport on the map a little and get fans interested in the Belmont

I think either way it will be unbelievably interesting/entertaining.

Which story would the media run with more?

miesque
05-12-2009, 11:48 PM
I really don't think either is going to "put the sport on the map." The best case situation is a very short term splash in the consiousness of the general public after which everything returns to its prior state. Racing receives a short-term positive blip, but no real material intermediate or long-term results. Mine That Bird may have made the cover of Sports Illustrated, but I think that both he and Rachel Alexander have a ways to go to match the short-term mania surrounding the last Derby horse to grace the SI Cover, Smarty Jones. If we look back at the Smarty effect, it was a very short term blip of national interest and yes, I am sure there were a few extra racing fans on the periphery that were created from his TC run, but it did not put the sport on the map anymore then it already is.

Zippy Chippy
05-12-2009, 11:50 PM
I really don't think either is going to "put the sport on the map." The best case situation is a very short term splash in the consiousness of the general public after which everything returns to its prior state. Racing receives a short-term positive blip, but no real material intermediate or long-term results. Mine That Bird may have made the cover of Sports Illustrated, but I think that both he and Rachel Alexander have a ways to go to match the short-term mania surrounding the last Derby horse to grace the SI Cover, Smarty Jones. If we look back at the Smarty effect, it was a very short term blip of national interest and yes, I am sure there were a few extra racing fans on the periphery that were created from his TC run, but it did not put the sport on the map anymore then it already is.

Agreed!But which would give it that same short time excitement?

toussaud
05-12-2009, 11:59 PM
the best result would be a stretch duel with rachael and mine that bird, with rachael wiinning by about a half length, POTN coming in dead last and all horses coming home safely

Zippy Chippy
05-13-2009, 12:00 AM
the best result would be a stretch duel with rachael and mine that bird, with rachael wiinning by about a half length, POTN coming in dead last and all horses coming home safely

POTN coming in last? Why?

toussaud
05-13-2009, 12:19 AM
POTN coming in last? Why?
preakness plot. serves him right

Zippy Chippy
05-13-2009, 12:30 AM
preakness plot. serves him right

Oh ya i almost forgot. The horse was the main conspirator

CincyHorseplayer
05-13-2009, 12:36 AM
13 horse dead heat.

46zilzal
05-13-2009, 12:43 AM
13 horse dead heat.
I can't begin to imagine the parimutuel outcome of such a finish

fmolf
05-13-2009, 12:51 AM
mtb ra battle the length of the stretch mtb wins by a nose and sets up a triple crown bid and rematch at my home track "beautiful big sandy".....

toussaud
05-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Oh ya i almost forgot. The horse was the main conspirator

I don't want to see Zayat anywhere near a winners circle.

thruncy
05-13-2009, 01:01 AM
PeaknessWould it be MTB or RA winning? theres only 2 possibilities..

What would be the best story? Put the sport on the map a little and get fans interested in the Belmont

Which story would the media run with more?Easy...Mike Smith gets owners to ride Chantal Sutherland....She wins the race...he's there with them to greet her. That's showbizz and that may be the sport's only hope.

toussaud
05-13-2009, 01:08 AM
while we are dreaming.... Jess has a change of thought and decidees he wants Chantel to ride Rachael, and she wins by 15.

mike smith picks up a mount and whoever he rides finishes in a photo for 2nd with Mine that bird

LottaKash
05-13-2009, 01:27 AM
MTB & RA...in a deadheat for win.....All others 20-lengths in arrears........:D

best,

toussaud
05-13-2009, 01:28 AM
that's a good question...

If there is a dead heat for the win, and one of the winners won the derby and the same one goes on and wins the belmont. is that a triple crown?

can you dead heat a triple crown?

CincyHorseplayer
05-13-2009, 02:08 AM

If there is a dead heat for the win, and one of the winners won the derby and the same one goes on and wins the belmont. is that a triple crown?

I was wondering somewhat the same things.Has there ever been a dead heat in any triple crown race???

We would know if there had been one involving a triple crown "Bid",but not otherwise.I don't anyway.

kenwoodallpromos
05-13-2009, 03:09 AM
MTB winning, RA place and Jackson holding a free sweepstakes contest with 49% ownership of RA (free of costs to the winner) as the grand prize.

thruncy
05-13-2009, 05:07 AM
while we are dreaming.... Jess has a change of thought and decidees he wants Chantel to ride Rachael, and she wins by 15.

mike smith picks up a mount and whoever he rides finishes in a photo for 2nd with Mine that birdMike Smith IS the rider of MTB. Chantal Sutherland WAS....Before Borel.

NY BRED
05-13-2009, 05:19 AM
Jess scratches Rachel on Friday.

Borel loses his chance to potemtially win a Triple Crown

Pioneer of the Nile and Mine That Brid dead heat for last in the Preakness,

Papa Clem blows the field apart

Rachel enters the Belmont and Wins by 5 lengths, unchallenged and
sets a new track record for the Stakes.

We find out what the Jockey Club conversation with Mr. Zayad was about
earlier this week.

Pimlico survives for another year...

JustRalph
05-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Mike Smith IS the rider of MTB. Chantal Sutherland WAS....Before Borel.

Wow..........there is a huge line in here..........but a little crude........come on somebody say it :lol: :lol: :lol:

philcski
05-13-2009, 09:39 AM

good question, but yes... had that nosehair finish between Real Quiet and Victory Gallop ended in a dead heat, it still would have been a triple crown for him. Probably with an asterisk though.

Relwob Owner
05-13-2009, 10:18 AM

MTB would definitely keep the most interest for the Belmont since there would be a TC possibility....also, since he is a gelding, him continuing to do well holds more of a prospect for long term interest because he may actually run after this year and RA probably wont.....

Smarty Cide
05-13-2009, 12:10 PM
i hope PON wins by 20 - everyone loves to crap on this horse, but he is the best horse and will be vindicated

sandpit
05-13-2009, 12:36 PM

I think so, because the horse in question would be considered a winner of all three races. We almost had it in 1998 with Real Quiet.

Tom
05-13-2009, 02:17 PM
He was on Leno last night - very nice guy.
I just liked him right off the bat.

Never mentioned the RA controversy, which is probably good for racing - just a nice, fluff interview with a happy ending showing the stretch run fro the blimp - audience was applauding the video. We need more coverage like that.

46zilzal
05-13-2009, 02:22 PM
i hope PON wins by 20 - everyone loves to crap on this horse, but he is the best horse and will be vindicated
Quality Road and I Want Revenge would challenge that assertion.

These are still colts

Marshall Bennett
05-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Not to change the subject , but Ken & Matt @ TVG were just now speaking once again about the tighter turns at Pimlico . I wish someone with a bit more technical experience than myself would send these guys an overhead arial of the two tracks to show them once and for all that the turns are not tighter . :)

Relwob Owner
05-13-2009, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=46zilzal]Quality Road and I Want Revenge would challenge that assertion.

Honestly speaking and no offense to either IWR or Quality Road but I dont think you can challenge any assertion with either horse because they couldnt make it to the dance....POTN did....

That being said I think POTN is a toss....everything went his way in the Derby and he still couldnt get it done.

46zilzal
05-13-2009, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=46zilzal]Quality Road and I Want Revenge would challenge that assertion.

Honestly speaking and no offense to either IWR or Quality Road but I dont think you can challenge any assertion with either horse because they couldnt make it to the dance....POTN did....

That being said I think POTN is a toss....everything went his way in the Derby and he still couldnt get it done.
bowler owner ?

Relwob Owner
05-13-2009, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE=Relwob Owner]
bowler owner ?

Nope....keep trying:)

joanied
05-14-2009, 04:48 PM

The closest we got to a dead heat in the TC race, I beleive was Real Quiet...unless Alydar got that close...I beleive it was a whisker for RQ and maybe half a head for Alydar...
it does pose a good question, though!

joanied
05-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Wow..........there is a huge line in here..........but a little crude........come on somebody say it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, now, JustRalph.....I can see it, but I won't say it :D

joanied
05-14-2009, 04:52 PM
good question, but yes... had that nosehair finish between Real Quiet and Victory Gallop ended in a dead heat, it still would have been a triple crown for him. Probably with an asterisk though.

I wish it HAD been a dead heat...that one was the worst:( bummer of all the close calls in the Belmont with a TC on the line.

joanied
05-14-2009, 04:54 PM
He was on Leno last night - very nice guy.
I just liked him right off the bat.

Never mentioned the RA controversy, which is probably good for racing - just a nice, fluff interview with a happy ending showing the stretch run fro the blimp - audience was applauding the video. We need more coverage like that.

Calvin:ThmbUp: did a great 'job' on Leno...that should get a million more viewers for Saturday.

joanied
05-14-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't know what would be the best outcome for the Preakness...
MTB goes to Belmont a winner? Rachel becomes the first filly in a zillion years to win the Preakness? Freisan Fire coming back and kickin' butt for Larry Jones?
Pioneer winning so we can all say he woulda won the Derby if not for MTB?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

toussaud
05-14-2009, 05:26 PM
chantel gets on mine that bird, and the jockies have a c hange of heart and change their silks to a 2 peice swimsuit.

It's pooring down raining and she wins and goes to the winners circile.

i can dream.

46zilzal
05-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Rachel becomes the first filly in a zillion years to win the Preakness? Freisan Fire coming back and kickin' butt for Larry Jones?
Pioneer winning so we can all say he woulda won the Derby if not for MTB?

FOUR fillies have done it
Flocarline 1903
Whimsical 1906
Rhine Maiden 1915
Nellie Morse 1924

Genuine Risk was the last one close and SHOULD have been given the fake Black Eyed Susans.

Geldings were not allowed to run between 1920-34

Mine that Bird will NEVER get a trip like that again

joanied
05-15-2009, 04:50 PM
FOUR fillies have done it
Flocarline 1903
Whimsical 1906
Rhine Maiden 1915
Nellie Morse 1924

Genuine Risk was the last one close and SHOULD have been given the fake Black Eyed Susans.

Geldings were not allowed to run between 1920-34

Mine that Bird will NEVER get a trip like that again

Well, Zil...I know 4 fillies have done it:faint: ...but it's been a zillion years since...I didn't say NO filly has ever won it:)

riskman
05-15-2009, 06:22 PM

Photo Finish -MTB & RA

toussaud
05-15-2009, 06:51 PM
I think we have to be careful and keep something in perspective:

I do expect Rachael to win this race. But there is nothing worng with her losing.

The win here, is not necessairly her winning the race. The win is seeing the best the 3YO crop (currently) has to offer on center stage at one time.

We don't have to go though the rest of the summer.. "what if". we know.