PDA

View Full Version : ML of winning favorites

misscashalot
05-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Anyone have any figures on the % of winning favorites paying less than their ML odds

Overlay
05-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I don't have a figure, but I imagine that it's very high, since I think most morning lines tend to be conservative.

glengarry
05-12-2009, 10:50 PM
The interesting question would be the percentage of morning line favorites that go off higher than their morning line and still win. Has to be less 5%.

SMOO
05-13-2009, 08:29 AM
The interesting question would be the percentage of morning line favorites that go off higher than their morning line and still win. Has to be less 5%.
A pretty good sign of "dead on the board".

ryesteve
05-13-2009, 09:31 AM
I just looked, and they don't do that badly. 18.5% won, and the ROI is only 4-5 points lower than ml favs that go off under their ml odds.

One weird thing I noticed: if you bet those "dead favorites" at Saratoga, you'd have cleaned up... +45% ROI on 98 bets.

fmolf
05-13-2009, 01:22 PM
I just looked, and they don't do that badly. 18.5% won, and the ROI is only 4-5 points lower than ml favs that go off under their ml odds.

One weird thing I noticed: if you bet those "dead favorites" at Saratoga, you'd have cleaned up... +45% ROI on 98 bets.
thats because of all the novice and weekenders money in play at saratoga

ryesteve
05-13-2009, 02:27 PM
thats because of all the novice and weekenders money in play at saratogaBut you could say the same for Del Mar too... and why would novices and weekenders disproportionately bet a non-ML so heavily, that it becomes the favorite? If anything, they bet randomly. Now that I think about it, a more likely explanation would be lots of steam horses that go up in smoke. Maybe because saratoga is such an attractive place to pull off a little coup, you get a lot of people trying it who just aren't that good at it.