PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question, why is it not getting better, and will it soon?

pktruckdriver
05-12-2009, 07:10 PM
My job is tough, most companies have a hiring freeze on, pay is going down drastically, from a little , to , next to nothing.

Is there anything that you guys see that tends to support a turnaround soon?

I believe almost all Manufacturing jobs are gone, and are not coming back anytime soon, Even with what Ford stated the other day, whoop-tee-doo.

I see nothing picking up, and freight rates going down, way down, too far to survive like this, so I ask will things get better, will my hoping so , eventually be rewarded, by surviving long enough for the turn around to happen.

Some say hang in there just a little longer and then the Money will come rolling in, but when has the money ever come rolling in, especially in trucking?

Would you guys express your thoughts on whether we turn it around and how long before then?

Thanks
Patrick

Saratoga_Mike
05-12-2009, 07:15 PM
My job is tough, most companies have a hiring freeze on, pay is going down drastically, from a little , to , next to nothing.

Is there anything that you guys see that tends to support a turnaround soon?

I believe almost all Manufacturing jobs are gone, and are not coming back anytime soon, Even with what Ford stated the other day, whoop-tee-doo.

I see nothing picking up, and freight rates going down, way down, too far to survive like this, so I ask will things get better, will my hoping so , eventually be rewarded, by surviving long enough for the turn around to happen.

Some say hang in there just a little longer and then the Money will come rolling in, but when has the money ever come rolling in, especially in trucking?

Would you guys express your thoughts on whether we turn it around and how long before then?

Thanks
Patrick

I think trucking has bottomed over the past few weeks, as inventories have been worked down to a low enough level at the retail and manufacturing level. I think we're finally on the cusp of a restocking phase, which will help out your business. There are private surveys conducted by Wall St firms that back this assertion. I understand the trucking business still stinks, but I suspect it will get marginally better over the next few months. This is just my opinion and it could be dead wrong - to state obvious.

ArlJim78
05-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm in manufacturing, we supply to all transportation companies, autos; trucks, etc. it's like a wasteland right now. customers are disappearing before our eyes.
with the auto's on extended summer shutdowns beginning in the next week or so, it's going to be a tough summer to get through, and we have no idea what factories are coming back on line and which ones might not come back after the bankruptcies.

it will come back in time, but how soon and how strong is anyones guess. I'm not optimistic.

Marshall Bennett
05-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I would imagine if the Republicans were in power , the MSM would be saying we're still in a heap of shit . :)

Saratoga_Mike
05-12-2009, 08:37 PM
I would imagine if the Republicans were in power , the MSM would be saying we're still in a heap of shit . :)

Who is MSM? Thanks.

ArlJim78
05-12-2009, 08:39 PM
with Bush in office all you heard was "worst economy in 50 years".

now they're all bullish and talking about greenshoots.

ArlJim78
05-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Who is MSM? Thanks.
MainStream Media

Saratoga_Mike
05-12-2009, 08:49 PM
MainStream Media

Oh - learn something everyday.

pktruckdriver
05-12-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm in manufacturing, we supply to all transportation companies, autos; trucks, etc. it's like a wasteland right now.
customers are disappearing before our eyes.
with the auto's on extended summer shutdowns beginning in the next week or so, it's going to be a tough summer to get through, and we have no idea what factories are coming back on line and which ones might not come back after the bankruptcies.

it will come back in time, but how soon and how strong is anyones guess. I'm not optimistic.

I want to believe it, but find hard to, it seems the larger companies are forcing us, the owner op's out, and without deep root, a customer base,we stand no chance.

Yes people continue to eat and drink, and trucking those things are not in demand as before, and the rates to haul those things are ridiculously lower, almost too low for some, especially those with 2500.00 month truck payments, not to mention Insurance and Maintence, and Fuel to name a few things, where are the 70's and 80's when you need them.

Well thanks for the opinions, I guess a new career at 45 or so is kinda hard to swallow, trucking is a one of kind thing, not too easy to switch into something else, impossible no, hard yes, being out on the road, use to be fun and profitable, not anymore.

Patrick

chickenhead
05-12-2009, 11:37 PM
don't know if this will help or not -- a little Stewart Smalley maybe -- but when I found myself in a bit of a tough situation a few years ago -- I found it good to constantly remind myself of the basics.

You're alive, walking around with full rights in the richest country, with the most opportunities you're gonna find anywhere. And hopefully, wherever you were today, the sun was shining.

There are probably a few billion folks out there that would do just about anything to trade places with you. You are richer, with more opportunity, than any of them ever even really dream about being.

I continue to find that both humbling and motivating.

That, and I run a savings calculator every once in awhile that tells me how much money we need to be saving to retire someday. That mainly just scares the shit out of me -- but it helps keeps me focused on the hustle.

46zilzal
05-13-2009, 12:28 AM
I quit a very lucrative career from burn out and loss of a spouse (who was a major part of it) but found one I loved based upon my skills from a hobby:PHOTOGRAPHY.

You can find alternative work just based on a review of skills you have. You only limit is imagination,........AND a little bit of luck.

By "bugging" people I have been twice published this year in racing magazines, sit on the elections committee of the Sovereign Awards and the Canadian Thoroughbred Hall of Fame, all as corollaries to my photographic career.

PaceAdvantage
05-13-2009, 04:25 AM
Why should it be getting better? If you listen to the academics, this "recession" started in December 2007. If you believe THAT, then maybe you would expect things to be getting better by now...

If you're like me though, and believe the recession officially started MUCH LATER than December 2007, then you wouldn't expect any lasting improvement anytime soon....

The super-scary part is that the government is basically out of bullets. If another werewolf comes popping out of the forest, what are they going to shoot it with?

Tom
05-13-2009, 07:35 AM
With new record debt, it will never get better. Obama done killed it.

JustRalph
05-13-2009, 08:01 AM
What ? That giant stimulus Porkulus Piece of shit isn't working?

You're kidding right?

acorn54
05-13-2009, 08:16 AM
i think people are in pretty good shape overall. they have cell phones and pay t.v. and the teenagers drive fancy cars to high school. when i was growing up in the seventies no such thing as having money to pay to watch t.v. and the high school kids all rode around in old jalopies if they could even afford those. we live in an affluent society in a world where half the people live on a dollar a day. people in this country always seem to be able to get the basics in one way or another. there are alot of social programs out there, all you got to do it seems is hook up with some social worker and they will set you up with everything you need such as housing, food, ect.

Marshall Bennett
05-13-2009, 08:55 AM
What ? That giant stimulus Porkulus Piece of shit isn't working?

You're kidding right?
uh well , its sorta working . They'll have to re-charge the battery though to maintain the glimmer of hope . Eventually the idea will be deemed a failure because that's what it is , a failure . They can't continue the endless spending of trillions to sprout a glimmer of hope . Obamanomics will eventually put us in a hole we may never recover from , or if we do , it could take generations . The group in charge of this economic disaster are an even greater disaster themselves .

pktruckdriver
05-13-2009, 01:40 PM
don't know if this will help or not -- a little Stewart Smalley maybe -- but when I found myself in a bit of a tough situation a few years ago -- I found it good to constantly remind myself of the basics.

You're alive, walking around with full rights in the richest country, with the most opportunities you're gonna find anywhere. And hopefully, wherever you were today, the sun was shining.

There are probably a few billion folks out there that would do just about anything to trade places with you. You are richer, with more opportunity, than any of them ever even really dream about being.

I continue to find that both humbling and motivating.

That, and I run a savings calculator every once in awhile that tells me how much money we need to be saving to retire someday. That mainly just scares the shit out of me -- but it helps keeps me focused on the hustle.

I like the Stewart Smalley reference here, I am thnakful for what I got, and maybe it does not show enough in my posts, heck I know it doesn't who we kidding, and it could be worst, I will in 2 weeks own this truck outright, and be in a position to do so many things, some of which should be helpful and profitable, I would think and then there are the wrong outfits, which I tend to find, my Karma from earlier years catching up with me, who's fault is that mine, but it would seem that I am in a position to make the right moves to keep me making money, as freight is still moving, people are eating and drinking and everything else they do comes by a truck in one way or another, so you'd think I would find something, not yet.

But this was about the economy turning around, will it and will us truck drivers win or lose when it does, just asking your opinions, and it seems you are all up in the air about, some say never and some say yes but not for awhile, hard to see what it may be, well the traffic is moving again, gotta go

Patrick

Marshall Bennett
05-13-2009, 01:55 PM
I know very little about the trucking industry . I do know its an industry we cannot live without , so in that regard , I'd say your one up even in a failed plan .

46zilzal
05-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Independent truckers have been hit hard on fuel and costs of their rigs. The world of truckers is unique and right out there if you cared to look for it. Drove for Allied and United Van lines for nine years during college/grad/professional school.

NOT a job for the squeamish.

boxcar
05-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Economy is doing "great". Consumer spending turned around again and declined for two straight months. And consumer spending only makes up about 70% of the economy. No biggie. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

chickenhead
05-13-2009, 03:58 PM
But this was about the economy turning around, will it and will us truck drivers win or lose when it does, just asking your opinions, and it seems you are all up in the air about, some say never and some say yes but not for awhile, hard to see what it may be, well the traffic is moving again, gotta go

I hear you. I think every working person is in the same boat, to some degree or another.

RaceBookJoe
05-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Why should it be getting better? If you listen to the academics, this "recession" started in December 2007. If you believe THAT, then maybe you would expect things to be getting better by now...

If you're like me though, and believe the recession officially started MUCH LATER than December 2007, then you wouldn't expect any lasting improvement anytime soon....

The super-scary part is that the government is basically out of bullets. If another werewolf comes popping out of the forest, what are they going to shoot it with?

I'm guessing it would be those GMF Monsanto seeds. rbj

ArlJim78
05-13-2009, 04:31 PM
I've always felt that the trucking industry was a good barometer for our economy. If our customers who supply truck tranmissions and axles were busy, it seemed safe to assume that lots of product was moving about.

Currently the truck transmission and axle people are totally flat.

Another indicator is container ships, which are being dismantled at the highest rate ever. Way too much capacity on the oceans.