PDA

View Full Version : BEST Preakness?

46zilzal
05-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Competitively, it HAD to be the Easy Goer/Sunday Silence race. I will find that photo. It is so close at the wire, and the colts are in such perfect balance to one another, you can just make out Pat Day's cherry red Phipp's hat. Ji,m McKay used to go on and on about what a great one that race was. Day 'slammed the door " on Valenzuela running him up into a blind switch but the latter came around it to get up.

Secretariat's un-real move on the clubhouse turn: in 40 years plus I have never seen that before, or since.

Alydar/Affirmed

Afleet Alex getting up off the mat to win in hand

cj
05-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Nah...Silver Charm, Free House, Captain Bodgit, and Touch Gold. Afleet Alex beating a bunch of slugs? Please...

andymays
05-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I was an Easy Goer guy.

Sunday Silence was more nimble and better on the turns. Easy Goer was more powerful.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the favorite between the two lose in each of their races?

46zilzal
05-12-2009, 06:34 PM
I was an Easy Goer guy.

Sunday Silence was more nimble and better on the turns. Easy Goer was more powerful.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the favorite between the two lose in each of their races?
Don't know about that BUT EG had a bad ankle all his career and never could get out of the gate. In each of their races together it was a matter of being a match race as NONE of the others in those contests factored in

46zilzal
05-12-2009, 06:42 PM
I was an Easy Goer guy.

Belmont was his alone

andymays
05-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Belmont was his alone

That's the race I always refer to when making my point that Easy Goer was best! Talk about Power!

depalma113
05-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Curlin and Street Sense

GaryG
05-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Agree about the SS - EG battle as the best Preakness I have seen. Easy Goer was vulnerable away from those wide turns at Belmont. SS beat him 3 times incl the BC.

7horses
05-12-2009, 09:22 PM
2 moment stand out as memorable:

1) Afleet Alex almost falling. 100,000 people gasped all at once. The collective surprise of that many people was incredible.

2) The drunk interrupting Artax (on the preakness undercard). I had a large
bet on Artax that day and he was fading in the stretch as the drunk stepped onto the track. Wagering would be refunded on Artax but the rest of the result went official. Artax would win the BC Sprint later that year.

SmartyLane
05-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Sunday Silence and Easy Goer. When EG passed SS on the far turn and squeezed SS out, you would of thought the race was over for SS, but the way he came back was amazing, and they came through 6F at 1:09 3/5.......

In a interview I saw on HRTV with Pat Day he said when he had the in the final stretch he started to try and get EG to fade into SS, but the horse just turned his head he was so dang tired. EG was gutted and only turned his head, that is why you see him doing that.

Absolutely amazing race!!!!!

cj's dad
05-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Big Reds move into the Clubhouse turn - never before - never again !!

sonnyp
05-12-2009, 10:57 PM
what about the one where angel and codex "mugged" the filly winning colors ??

leroy jolley almost came unglued.

cj
05-12-2009, 11:00 PM

It was Genuine Risk. Forty Niner gave Winning Colors problems, to his own demise.

sonnyp
05-12-2009, 11:25 PM
It was Genuine Risk. Forty Niner gave Winning Colors problems, to his own demise.

thank you, i stand corrected. i get the fillies confused. i think i was right about jolley coming unglued and cordero and lukas trying to look innocent ?

46zilzal
05-12-2009, 11:28 PM

ANY OTHER RACE and Codex comes down. They have a very high threshold of interference in that race. NONE ever taken down.

But then Heller, in one of his good books, tells it like it is, that Cordero had more suspension days than any other modern jockey.

sonnyp
05-12-2009, 11:44 PM
ANY OTHER RACE and Codex comes down. They have a very high threshold of interference in that race. NONE ever taken down.

But then Heller, in one of his good books, tells it like it is, that Cordero had more suspension days than any other modern jockey.

saw a great interview on "good morning saratoga" last year or the year before with manny ycaza and angel cordero.

ycaza seemed sincere when describing how tough it was breaking into the n.y. circuit as the first hispanic jock and the politics getting mounts and the stewards "protecting" the colony of "white" jocks.

all that being said, the original "manny being manny" was the toughest s.o.b. to get by and the most penalyzed jock of our time.

pardon the slightly off topic post. does anyone know if ycaza ever rode in the preakness ?

Saratoga_Mike
05-12-2009, 11:47 PM

sonnyp
05-12-2009, 11:50 PM

who'd he ride and how'd he do ?

KirisClown
05-13-2009, 01:43 AM
Either one works...

MF30uCASXVw

wjLZ1lLcfWA

PaceAdvantage
05-13-2009, 04:40 AM
Ahhh..Sunday Silence...my personal second favorite horse of all time...

rastajenk
05-13-2009, 08:51 AM
If I had to vote for just one as the best, or most unforgettable, or most dramatic...definitely 1989.

tucker6
05-13-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm torn here. I love a classic duel at the finish, but for sheer enjoyment, nothing beats Secretariat on the clubhouse turn and then his playing cat and mouse with Sham all the way home. What a freak of nature he was. The ultimate push button horse.

freehouse2002
05-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Nah...Silver Charm, Free House, Captain Bodgit, and Touch Gold. Afleet Alex beating a bunch of slugs? Please...
This is the best, for me anyway. The 1997 TC series was great.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8400/1997preakness.jpg (http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1997preakness.jpg)

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8900/1997preaknessfredstone.gif (http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1997preaknessfredstone.gif)

arno
05-13-2009, 02:34 PM
62 Preakness

Greek Money noses Ridan.
Ycaza, jock of Ridan claims foul on Rotz, jockey of Greek Money.
Films show Ycaza elbowed Rotz in chest and therefore no change of order.
Ycaza gets 10 days yet impresss me being 11 years old.
To this day Ycaza is my favorite jockey of all time.

Greek Money trained by Virgil "Buddy" Raines, a true gentleman.

sonnyp
05-13-2009, 03:48 PM
62 Preakness

Greek Money noses Ridan.
Ycaza, jock of Ridan claims foul on Rotz, jockey of Greek Money.
Films show Ycaza elbowed Rotz in chest and therefore no change of order.
Ycaza gets 10 days yet impresss me being 11 years old.
To this day Ycaza is my favorite jockey of all time.

Greek Money trained by Virgil "Buddy" Raines, a true gentleman.

remember fred caposella saying the greatest race he ever called involved ridan. just looked it up and later that year in the "summer derby", the travers, at saratoga, jaipur and ridan went nose to nose from start to finish and jaipur won by that nose in what was described as "the battle of epic proportions."

coincidently, neither horse ever won another race after this gut-wrenching performance.

46zilzal
05-13-2009, 03:52 PM
r
coincidently, neither horse ever won another race after this gut-wrenching performance.
Saw a baby race here between a good gelding and a very promising filly. They went eyeball to eyeball for 5 of 6.5 furlongs and the filly never won another after that.

joanied
05-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Ridan & Jaipur are kinda off topic because this is for the best Preakness...but you guys have turned on my nostalgia...the Ridan/Jaipur Travers was one of the greatest races ever seen.
All this talk abour Manny Y, John L Rotz, Cordero...man, oh, man...talk about the good old days!!! (I loved Cordero...especially up at Saratoga...but his ride on Codex still pisses me off.)

As for the best Preakness for me...tough call... in more recent times, I loved Silver Charm's Preakness...the 3 of them fighting it out like that...Street Sense & Curlin broke my heart...it's one of the few times I ever found myself angry with Calvin Borel...I still think if he'd just rode the crap outta SS and not looked back...Curlin would have lost by a nose...Sunday Silence & Easy Goer...incredible, awesome race...but I was an Easy Goer fan, Afllet Alex was outstanding....but, I am going to state the obvious...Secretariat's Preakness was my personal best...I still choke up when I see that move he made, all on his own....it's one for the ages:ThmbUp:

GaryG
05-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Yacka Zack was the first of the Panamanians. He was a wild man in the early days, one suspension after the another. It seemed to me they went out of their way to suspend him. Great for the bettors (except when he was DQ'd). He got started as stable rider for Cain Hoy. Won some big ones on Bald Eagle.

ezgoerbaby79
05-15-2009, 04:16 PM
No question for me, it was definetely the '89 Preakness. I was 10 years old and had fallen for Easy Goer...I had seen Alysheba and Winning Colors' Derbies, but the '88 classics were where I really started following racing...and WOW. I was hooked for life. I no longer argue the SS/EG argument. In my mind, they were both great horses, and you have no idea how hard that is for me as I did NOT like Sunday Silence one bit back then, but I'm old enough now to realize that what I saw from both horses was special, and I was lucky to have seen it.

46zilzal
05-15-2009, 04:29 PM
No question for me, it was definetely the '89 Preakness. I was 10 years old and had fallen for Easy Goer...I had seen Alysheba and Winning Colors' Derbies, but the '88 classics were where I really started following racing...and WOW. I was hooked for life. I no longer argue the SS/EG argument. In my mind, they were both great horses, and you have no idea how hard that is for me as I did NOT like Sunday Silence one bit back then, but I'm old enough now to realize that what I saw from both horses was special, and I was lucky to have seen it.
the best

ezgoerbaby79
05-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Also...thanks for those "Video Doctor"... :D I forgot how awesome the Free House/Silver Charm Preakness was.