PDA

View Full Version : Borel should be ashamed for jumping ship

roihandicapping
05-12-2009, 06:11 PM
by Ray Kerrison, New York Post

http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/story/9566650/Borel-should-be-ashamed-for-jumping-ship

cj
05-12-2009, 06:12 PM
I assume he would have used the same template for his article if he rode Mine that Bird and "jumped ship" on Rachel Alexandra.

The horse racing press is, by and large, pretty freaking sad.

ryesteve
05-12-2009, 06:16 PM
We can always depend on Ray Kerrison to be on the wrong side of absolutely any issue.

Given that Borel has ridden RA 6 times and MtB once, how would it not be a worse case of "jumping ship" if he took off RA?

And Kerrison's viewpoint that it was MtB that "engraved Borel's name in history" and not vice versa is completely laughable.

andymays
05-12-2009, 06:18 PM
If Borel had not ridden Rachel before this guy might have a point but since Borel has ridden Rachel this article is out of line!

Bettowin
05-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Which mount gives Calvin his best chance at a Breeder's Cup title? DUH!!

fmolf
05-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Which mount gives Calvin his best chance at a Breeder's Cup title? DUH!!
not to mention this could be a foot in the door in the asmussen empire for borel!...i view this as strictly a business decision and a solid one by borel and his agent...and no if he wins the preakness and the belmont he will not be a triple crown winning jockey as some people have said on tvg!

Saratoga_Mike
05-12-2009, 07:09 PM
We can always depend on Ray Kerrison to be on the wrong side of absolutely any issue.

Given that Borel has ridden RA 6 times and MtB once, how would it not be a worse case of "jumping ship" if he took off RA?

And Kerrison's viewpoint that it was MtB that "engraved Borel's name in history" and not vice versa is completely laughable.

You've got it right.

812crew
05-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Seems to me that the writer, like a lot of people in America who don't really follow the sport, is putting way too much emphasis on the Kentucky Derby. Don't they know there's more than one major race out there?

westny
05-12-2009, 07:18 PM
I think Kerrison has a point.

NO one would know about, or care about Borel IF he hadn't that ride in the Kentucky Derby on MTB. Does anyone think Borel would be on Leno because he won on RA? Of course not.

The KD IS the most famous horse race in the world. And Borel made a business decision...NOT a sportsman's decision...racing is a BUSINESS first....as Borel proved.

ArlJim78
05-12-2009, 07:21 PM
that was simply pathetic. but I bet there are many casual "triple crown" type fans who are reading that and saying "yeah, right on! Borel is a chump man."

ghostyapper
05-12-2009, 07:23 PM
You've got it right.

Hey at least his opinion offers some balance considering every other media outlet and nbc tagged it as a 100% borel victory.

Calvin gave the same ride in last year's derby and was beaten 10 lengths

Saratoga_Mike
05-12-2009, 07:24 PM

NO one would know about, or care about Borel IF he hadn't that ride in the Kentucky Derby on MTB. Does anyone think Borel would be on Leno because he won on RA? Of course not.

The KD IS the most famous horse race in the world. And Borel made a business decision...NOT a sportsman's decision...racing is a BUSINESS first....as Borel proved.

This might be a valid point IF Borel's ride on MTB resulted in Asmussen saying, "geeh this Borel guy's a heck of rider let's put him on RA." That didn't happen. He won the Derby in 2007 with Street Sense and was well regarded in racing prior to riding MTB in the Derby.

westny
05-12-2009, 07:33 PM
This might be a valid point IF Borel's ride on MTB resulted in Asmussen saying, "geeh this Borel guy's a heck of rider let's put him on RA." That didn't happen. He won the Derby in 2007 with Street Sense and was well regarded in racing prior to riding MTB in the Derby.

Was he on Leno AFTER he won the KD on Street Sense? Or on the cover of SI?

What I find interesting is that the poll here asks MTB's chances of winning the Preakness:

No Way! 17 12.32%
Not a Chance in Hell......... he will be up the track 27 19.57%
Sure he does......... He won the Derby! 80 57.97%
He blows by them again........... 14 10.14%

almost 60% of the posters believe MTB has a chance to win the Preakness, but defend Borel's decision to ride RA...after 60% believe the horse, MTB repeat in the Preakness. Makes no sense to me.

discodog
05-12-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm not a casual fan. I do understand why Borel made the choice. I also understand why hookers go to the highest bidder.

I really think he should have done the Classy thing and stayed with MTB.

Once he gets beat on RA, he's history with Assmusen.

P.S. RA is no cinch in the Preakness.

Relwob Owner
05-12-2009, 07:35 PM

I disagree and here's why..

First, i dont think success can be measured by whether or not you are on Leno...

Second, most do know about Borel....he won a Derby and is highly regarded as a jock and was before this Derby

Third, if you look at "loyalty' he rode RA more times so he is actually being loyal to her from a numbers perspective.

Lastly, I dont think it is fair to get on a jock even if they made a "business decision"....jocks get screwed out of mounts for so many reasons and blamed in so many situations they shouldnt that they have the right to make any "business decision" they feel is right, IMHO...

Let me put it to you and this columnist this way....if Borel rode the same way as in the Derby, but this time got stopped and cost MTB the race, how fast do you think they would forget about his Derby ride and have Ron Anderson on the phone to try to get Gomez???? Pretty quickly, I think.

Saratoga_Mike
05-12-2009, 07:36 PM

What I find interesting is that the poll here asks MTB's chances of winning the Preakness:

No Way! 17 12.32%

almost 60% of the posters believe MTB has a chance to win the Preakness, but defend Borel's decision to ride RA...after 60% believe the horse, MTB repeat in the Preakness. Makes no sense to me.

Well he met the President and the Queen of England (after the Street Sense win)! Does that count for anything?

"Almost 60% of posters believe MTB has a chance to win the Preakness." So what? Do a poll on RA's chances. My guess is 90% will say she has a CHANCE to win the Preakness.

turfnsport
05-12-2009, 07:38 PM

I usually can't tell what side he is on.

He seems to have an endless supply of meaningless dribble.

discodog
05-12-2009, 07:41 PM
You sound like a jocks agent?

Imriledup
05-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Kerrison is out of touch with reality.

Cratos
05-12-2009, 08:20 PM
by Ray Kerrison, New York Post

http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/story/9566650/Borel-should-be-ashamed-for-jumping-ship

I believe that Borel is a free agent and can ride for whomever he chooses. However take a look at the big picture. Jess Jackson is a lot bigger than MTB connections and in all probability he will have more horses and better horses than the MTB connections will have in the future for Borel to ride.

Borel might have been encouraged by the prospective of riding the filly, Rachel Alexandra to victory in the Preakness, but he was probably driven by the horses that he thinks the Jess Jackson connections can give him to ride in the future.

After all it is just business.

Relwob Owner
05-12-2009, 08:30 PM
You sound like a jocks agent?

Im assuming you were responding to my post defending Borel.....not an agent, just have seen jocks get screwed and blamed many many times.....also have seen jocks screw up many, many times as well!

Citation1947
05-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Who is Jay Leno?

cj's dad
05-12-2009, 10:05 PM
I think it really is a very simple case of Calvin Borel doing what is best for him.

Isn't it similar to pro football and baseball where a free agent sells himself to the highest bidder?

If Calvin is injured during a $6K claiming race how many owners/trainers/fans would come to his aid financially ??

Should he not do what he thinks is in his best interests !!

Watcher
05-12-2009, 10:19 PM
One of the major problems with "racing media", particularly this time of year, is their lack of research, knowledge, and understanding of the sport. What you usually see is "journalist" latching on to the feel good story or the controversy...

Either way, it attracts the majority of viewers, the non-year-round racing fans.

We know that Calvin didn't jump ship, choosing to ride the filly he's ridden 6 times over a first time mount. We also know that the $140,000 mentioned in the article was earned in about 2 minutes of work... the other 8 minutes mentioned was merely warm-up and celebration.

But the general public doesn't differentiate. The author of this article is no different, they see a jockey jumping ship.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Borel won 4 stakes with RA, three of them Gr. 2, before the Oaks. If RA's owners had entered in the KY Derby instead of the KY Oaks, I would assume Borel would have ridden the filly. He'd never ridden MTB before the Derby. And as many of us think RA would have had a great chance to win the KY Derby, Borel could have ridden the 'other' potential KY Derby winner, and stayed on her, RA, for the Preakness and not have to 'jump ship.'

MTB can still win the Triple Crown, just won't have Borel on for all 3 races if RA starts in the Preakness. I voted MTB has a chance in the Preakness. Yes, MTB won the KY Derby, a important fact, but the main reason is he should be in the Starting Gate on Saturday. Yes, I felt MTB had a chance to win the KY Derby - but only because he was in the Starting Gate for the Derby. With 1 lottery ticket, one can win the Lottery, although the odds are very much against winning. With NO lottery ticket, one can NEVER win the lottery.

Is Kerrison going to bet the same horse to win in the Preakness as he did in the KY Derby? The winning jockey and his people will share about $60,000, probably a lot more money than Kerrison, and most of us, stand to win or lose on a straight win bet in the race. Borel, like any jockey, could get permanently injured the next time he tries to mount a horse, but Kerrison and others want emotion and traditrion to dictate to a rider who has given his whole adult life, and even his teeth, who to ride in an event that would earn him a great amount of money. It takes a lot of guts to ride, and a lot of guts and business sense to make this decision, and there are plenty of opportunites for a rider to look foolish and miss winning a big race and a lot of money - this is just a unique angle.

While I know Borel would rather win with RA and not lose to MTB, I can't imagine him being upset with the horse, MTB, if MTB does win and go for the TC at Belmont.

Bruddah
05-12-2009, 10:36 PM
I think it really is a very simple case of Calvin Borel doing what is best for him.

Isn't it similar to pro football and baseball where a free agent sells himself to the highest bidder?

If Calvin is injured during a $6K claiming race how many owners/trainers/fans would come to his aid financially ??

Should he not do what he thinks is in his best interests !!

Damn Daddy'O you beat me to another one and you are 120% correct. All of the other issues are SIDE ISSUES. In races of these magnitudes, Jockey's and their Agents go with the Best horse and connections which give them a chance to win. I think the phrase is SHOW ME DA MONEY !! :cool:

jognlope
05-12-2009, 11:03 PM
We'll see what the stars do.

Saratoga_Mike
05-12-2009, 11:07 PM
“I called a friend on the way and said it’s the first time I’ve had the police leading me instead of chasing me,” quipped Woolley, who drove all the way in the Ford F-450 Lariat that towed the gleaming white van carrying his Kentucky Derby winner.

The Baltimore City Police met Mine That Bird, Woolley, and groom Charlie Figueroa at the intersection of Interstate 70 and the Baltimore Beltway (I-695), clearing the way for a non-stop finish to the trip that took less than 10 hours

Source: Bloodhorse.com

ryesteve
05-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Seems to me that the writer, like a lot of people in America who don't really follow the sportIsn't Kerrison Australian? I'd rather not have to claim him as a countryman.

almost 60% of the posters believe MTB has a chance to win the Preakness, but defend Borel's decision to ride RA...after 60% believe the horse, MTB repeat in the Preakness. Makes no sense to me.What makes no sense to me is why you're equating "has a chance to win" with the belief that he will repeat. For all you know, most of the people who said he has "a chance" were thinking, "Sure he has a chance... every horse has a chance. I'd peg his at around 20/1"

Greyfox
05-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Who is Jay Leno?

:ThmbUp: Yes, and what horse is he riding?

Tom
05-13-2009, 07:29 AM
Ubanks, in the Belmont.:D

rastajenk
05-13-2009, 07:49 AM
His head alone is too big to make weight. :eek:

magwell
05-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Who is Jay Leno? Runs in 5th race at Calder jock up is Kutsy Belfore and the trainer is Sam Baronfartson ml is 10-1 .....word has it he's fastest horse in fla.

magwell
05-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Only 3 people know about this horse.....:)

startngate
05-15-2009, 05:18 PM
I'll be interested to see who rides MTB if he wins the Preakness with Smith and RA doesn't go in the Belmont ... :confused:

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2009, 07:28 PM
I'll be interested to see who rides MTB if he wins the Preakness with Smith and RA doesn't go in the Belmont ... :confused:I don't see what possible reason they would have to go back to Borel...considering Mike Smith was a fixture at NYRA for years and knows Belmont much better than Borel....

Plus, they owe Borel nothing after he jumped off...

CryingForTheHorses
05-15-2009, 07:41 PM
I believe that Borel is a free agent and can ride for whomever he chooses. However take a look at the big picture. Jess Jackson is a lot bigger than MTB connections and in all probability he will have more horses and better horses than the MTB connections will have in the future for Borel to ride.

Borel might have been encouraged by the prospective of riding the filly, Rachel Alexandra to victory in the Preakness, but he was probably driven by the horses that he thinks the Jess Jackson connections can give him to ride in the future.

After all it is just business.

It will take only 1 mistake in a big race and Borel could be history,Thats the bussiness..Jumping ship and being loyal are two different things,He did only ride MTB one time,Doesnt have anything else to prove with that horse..The filly could become a super super star for him. She is a nice filly and I do hope she kicks azz in the preakness..

slewis
05-15-2009, 07:43 PM
“I called a friend on the way and said it’s the first time I’ve had the police leading me instead of chasing me,” quipped Woolley, who drove all the way in the Ford F-450 Lariat that towed the gleaming white van carrying his Kentucky Derby winner.

The Baltimore City Police met Mine That Bird, Woolley, and groom Charlie Figueroa at the intersection of Interstate 70 and the Baltimore Beltway (I-695), clearing the way for a non-stop finish to the trip that took less than 10 hours

Source: Bloodhorse.com

Did anyone see him in his interview today at Pimlico... Calling Rachel a "Mare"....:lol:

Horseman?? this guys the epitome of white trailer park trash.....

toussaud
05-15-2009, 07:44 PM
i gotta say, allen is growing on me. he doesn't mence words. that is refereshing.

slewis
05-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't see what possible reason they would have to go back to Borel...considering Mike Smith was a fixture at NYRA for years and knows Belmont much better than Borel....

Plus, they owe Borel nothing after he jumped off...

He has about as much chance of getting back on as I do.......

and I got up this morning at 190lbs.

toussaud
05-15-2009, 07:58 PM
if smith doesn' hit the baord I think calivin will get the mount back.

rrbauer
05-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Ashamed? He's a jockey that lucked out with a catch mount on a track that favored his style and his mount's style and beat a very non-descript band of 3YO's. The Preakness will either validate his choice of mounts or make him look like a fool.

What's he have to be ashamed of? A monster pay day with the potential for another one in the Preakness? Being true to his word?

rrbauer
05-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Did anyone see him in his interview today at Pimlico... Calling Rachel a "Mare"....:lol:

Calling female horses "a mare" is very common among horse people. What trailer park do you live in?

Valuist
05-15-2009, 09:06 PM

No Way! 17 12.32%

What the hell does being on Leno have to do with anything? Do you think Mine that Bird is anywhere near the horse Street Sense was? THe answer to that should be obvious.

toussaud
05-15-2009, 09:15 PM
I really never thought a hell of alot of street sense if you could get him off of churchill's surface.

Saratoga_Mike
05-15-2009, 11:12 PM
He has about as much chance of getting back on as I do.......

and I got up this morning at 190lbs.

I agree - Woolley would ride MTB in the Belmont himself before putting Borel back up. How can anyone think for a second this trainer - or almost any trainer - would uaw a jock again who opted off the winner of the Derby for another horse in the Preakness? I actually think Borel made the right move, but it still had to feel like a slap in the face to MTB's connections. And Woolley's got a lot of pride - that's very apparent. So if it comes down to Borel or Slewis for MTB in the Belmont, they better get some bigger silks b/c Slewis has the mount!

Greyfox
05-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Calling female horses "a mare" is very common among horse people. What trailer park do you live in?

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: Right on the money.

toussaud
05-16-2009, 10:34 AM
they are interviewing his agent on HRTV.. how can you not like calvin borel is beyond me. 19 years and the same agent all the time.

Valuist
05-16-2009, 09:39 PM
I really never thought a hell of alot of street sense if you could get him off of churchill's surface.

Really.....wasn't he beaten about an inch and a half in the Preakness by Curlin, who many felt was the best dirt horse in years? And didn't he win two Grade 1s at Saratoga where he basically toyed with the field? So he didn't run well in the deluge at Monmouth.....not a lot of horses did.

toussaud
05-16-2009, 09:42 PM
hey it's just my opinion. I feel that it would take pegasus to beat SS at churchill but outside of it, he's very beatable.

Imriledup
05-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Shame on you Calvin!

Citation1947
05-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Do you think Mine that Bird is anywhere near the horse Street Sense was? THe answer to that should be obvious.

How obvious?

PaceAdvantage
05-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Really.....wasn't he beaten about an inch and a half in the Preakness by Curlin, who many felt was the best dirt horse in years?This I don't get. Sorry to jump your thread, but I can't figure out for the life of me how Curlin earned the title of best dirt horse in years. How soon they forget Invasor.

thespaah
05-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Kerrison has an opinion. SO what. Ray, Borel is RA's REGULAR Rider..Got that genius

toussaud
05-17-2009, 09:27 PM
first of all a healthy ghoszapper would take both of them behind the woodshed. But I agree PA, and I like curlin...and he danced all the dances, but I don't know if he is better than invasor on his best day.

thespaah
05-17-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm not a casual fan. I do understand why Borel made the choice. I also understand why hookers go to the highest bidder.

I really think he should have done the Classy thing and stayed with MTB.

Once he gets beat on RA, he's history with Assmusen.

P.S. RA is no cinch in the Preakness.
So how do you want your face eggs?...Scrambled or over easy?

thespaah
05-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Who is Jay Leno?I believe he is a collector of fine automobiles

thespaah
05-17-2009, 09:41 PM

yes but he is becoming rich trailer trash.
"mare"..Ok for that transgression we should skin him alive and set him on fire.

Golf and Horses
05-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Who is Jay Leno?
The trainer of Seinfeld.;)