PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose of selections here?

Oaklawn
05-11-2009, 02:29 PM
As you can see by my post count, I am new. I have a good deal of interest in handicapping, although green, and I enjoy the history of the sport.

What I'm wondering is why these selections are posted IF YOU DON'T GIVE THE RESULTS of your selections?

I have posted a few results as from Churchill as that is the meet I've been concentrating on since before the derby. I don't give the results to show where someone has been wrong, it just happens the only ones I've checked have been wrong so far.

When you post "best bet of the day" type stuff and then don't come back and give the results, who exactly was the selection for? The poster only? If so, why even post it? I especially like the Anderson fellow b/c he constantly gives updates to his selections.

Also, if you give a pick, can you not say a couple of words as to why the selection? It's not as if I'm betting a random selection that someone throws out here, but as a handicapper, it would be nice to see what your angle is, and why you would be so confident to post it. I think if you had more info in there this selections forum would be a lot bigger than it is now, and not just what it is....people throwing out random numbers. Just looking for a little accountability to the posts. I hope no one is offended, just giving my opinion.

cj's dad
05-11-2009, 02:49 PM
I post my picks for a friend of mine to see. The results are readily available at this site which does make it easy to keep track of my and others selections.

I have in the past posted results but often it is too time consuming to do so.

Example: trfecta Mike is posting tri selections at Philly today and I have kept up with them race by race as well as my own picks.

Also, if you happen to have a good day and post results and the next day have a bad day and don't post, you may get slammed for not showing the bad days results.

If you think it is a bad idea to post picks, ignore them. there are other sections I am sure you will find enjoyable, like Off Topic !!

GaryG
05-11-2009, 02:55 PM
II have in the past posted results but often it is too time consuming to do so.

Also, if you happen to have a good day and post results and the next day have a bad day and don't post, you may get slammed for not showing the bad days results.!I agree on both counts. Also, sometimes posting your winners seems like boasting. It isn't, but I don't do it any more. I post picks when I have the time and feel like it.

DJofSD
05-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Oaklawn, sometimes it's ego (guilty), sometimes it's to perhaps stir the pot a little (guilty) and other times you're looking to start a discussion (guilty). And then there are times you just feel like sharing -- here's an example. (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38008) -- not that there's ever any guarantees.

redeye007
05-11-2009, 05:01 PM
I check out everyones selections here in the track that I am interested in playing. there are some outstanding handicappers posting here. that one extra selection in the pick 3 or 4 can make all the difference between cashing a big ticket or losing. I usually look at the results to see how folks did. :)

Valupix
05-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Whatever purpose you'd like them to be.

Someone not posting results means those selections were losers.

Valupix
05-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Some people (I think) are promoting their websites.

Some are experimenting.

Some are occasionally posting some real plays. Not so much at this site as has been he case with others, but many people now wager on line and miss the interaction with fellow players. As I said it's not so much the case here, but it can give a player a way to interact with other players as if you were all at the track together.

Some find it a way not to join gambler anonymous but still remove the risk and downside of gambling and still get the action rush.

I assume other have reasons that could make a nearly infinite list.

****If you're looking for plays.. well I simply would not play any of them that you haven't also looked at and find reason to like.

If you can find a person posting who has repeatedly posted in a very formal manor. (By that I mean the selections are presented in a formal maner suggesting you should play them) I don't see much of that here. (But I don't open most of the threads, so I don't know) ***AND THEN only if you find reason to trust any player posting selections in such manner. (I doubt you will find that both will occur)

I mean how can you gauge what intention anyone had when making such post. Unless they are clearly telling you why, you just won't know.

But that's just my opinion.

formula_2002
05-11-2009, 08:20 PM
As you can see by my post count, I am new. I have a good deal of interest in handicapping, although green, and I enjoy the history of the sport.

What I'm wondering is why these selections are posted IF YOU DON'T GIVE THE RESULTS of your selections?

I have posted a few results as from Churchill as that is the meet I've been concentrating on since before the derby. I don't give the results to show where someone has been wrong, it just happens the only ones I've checked have been wrong so far.

When you post "best bet of the day" type stuff and then don't come back and give the results, who exactly was the selection for? The poster only? If so, why even post it? I especially like the Anderson fellow b/c he constantly gives updates to his selections.

Also, if you give a pick, can you not say a couple of words as to why the selection? It's not as if I'm betting a random selection that someone throws out here, but as a handicapper, it would be nice to see what your angle is, and why you would be so confident to post it. I think if you had more info in there this selections forum would be a lot bigger than it is now, and not just what it is....people throwing out random numbers. Just looking for a little accountability to the posts. I hope no one is offended, just giving my opinion.

ACCOUNTABILITY.
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57623

IN THIS GAME, NUMBERS SPEAK MUCH BETTER THAN WORDS! :)

Oaklawn
05-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Also, if you happen to have a good day and post results and the next day have a bad day and don't post, you may get slammed for not showing the bad days results. If you think it is a bad idea to post picks, ignore them. there are other sections I am sure you will find enjoyable, like Off Topic!

That's why I think it would be great to post all your results. Off Topic, that's funny by they way. I don't think it's a bad idea to post picks, I like them, but would like to know who actually is picking the winners and how. :D

I agree on both counts. Also, sometimes posting your winners seems like boasting. It isn't, but I don't do it any more. I post picks when I have the time and feel like it.

The way I look at it is that posting your winners is not bragging if you also posted your losers.

I check out everyones selections here in the track that I am interested in playing. there are some outstanding handicappers posting here. that one extra selection in the pick 3 or 4 can make all the difference between cashing a big ticket or losing. I usually look at the results to see how folks did.

I do the same, but it would be much easier to see who the outstanding handicappers are if the results were posted, right? And why the pick was made might put another on a winner on another day.

I mean how can you gauge what intention anyone had when making such post. Unless they are clearly telling you why, you just won't know.

Yes, exactly, that is what I'm suggesting people might do. It makes the picks more credible if you know the intent.

ACCOUNTABILITY.

Yes, formula. I'm sorry I forgot about you, you list your results consistently as well and that is nice, thanks.

Points well taken and i understand why some don't and that's ok, with time I guess you can figure out what you need to glean. Thanks for the input.

JustRalph
05-11-2009, 09:29 PM
When I post a single pick (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57625) at 5 or 7 a.m. it is usually to call attention to one I think is an overlay.....after capping the card early in the morning.....sometimes I am right..........sometimes wrong. But I always post the results later that night.

I used to post some full cards (Aqu innner last meet) because I was discussing the inner track with some via PM's .........lots of different motivations. But over time..........you will see a pick posted that makes you take a look at the horse because of who posted it........and sometimes it can change your mind on a race etc. Not always for the good either :lol:

kenwoodallpromos
05-12-2009, 02:33 AM
"http://www.tlorehorses.com/trainers/pletcher/index_new.cfm?page=brisnet"

This webpage of Pletcher's links his entries to Brisnet ultimate PP's for all entries in the race. If you want to use the webpage as your signature and pick out races I will be happy to post things I look at while handicapping. OR, I would love to see a thread foreach race you chose and how members here would handicap it!! Please not just all stakes!!

Oaklawn
05-12-2009, 10:29 AM
"http://www.tlorehorses.com/trainers/pletcher/index_new.cfm?page=brisnet"

This webpage of Pletcher's links his entries to Brisnet ultimate PP's for all entries in the race. If you want to use the webpage as your signature and pick out races I will be happy to post things I look at while handicapping. OR, I would love to see a thread foreach race you chose and how members here would handicap it!! Please not just all stakes!!

Let's start with the first race listed which is today Philadelphia Park Race 5 Mdspwt

You can't link directly, but go here: PHIL RACE 5 IRON FORTITUDE
http://www.tlorehorses.com/trainers/pletcher/index_new.cfm?page=brisnet

Everyone join in.

Oaklawn
05-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Everyone disregard and I'll start this as a new post.