PDA

View Full Version : Interesting: U.S. Welfare Recipient Denied Entry into Canada

Dave Schwartz
05-11-2009, 02:14 PM
http://www.argus-press.com/articles/2009/05/09/news/news1.txt

Local woman files discrimination complaint after being turned away at the Canadian border

OWOSSO - An Owosso woman says she was recently denied permission to cross the Canadian border because she is on welfare.

Rose Kelley, 25, said she was trying to visit friends and family who live in Canada, but ran into many complications on the way.

She arrived at the Sarnia, Ontario, border May 1 with her children Xander, 5, and Onyx, 1. When she reached the customs and immigration office she was given a list of items she needed to cross the border - some of which included: evidence of citizenship, financial support, financial assistance, confirmed means of departure, and more.

Before leaving home on May 1, Kelley said, she contacted the Canada Border Services Agency, and was told she only needed to bring identification and papers proving she had full custody of her children.

Because of this, she had to travel back to Owosso to get the necessary papers and then return May 3.

“I brought everything. My entire folder had every piece of paperwork that they could ask for,” Kelley said.

However, she was once again denied entry.

“They said I don't make enough money and people on welfare shouldn't take a vacation,” said Kelley, a single mother who has been on assistance for five years. “I was told that I wouldn't be allowed to cross the border until my life ‘drastically changed.'”

More at the link.

DJofSD
05-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Wow, and I thought the vast right wing conspiracy was gone.

Maybe they should have let her cross into Canada then contacted her state's welfare agency so they could deduct the per deum for her stay on the other side of the international border.

Tom
05-11-2009, 02:30 PM
I used to cross at Sarnia/Port Huron rather than in Detroit because they were pretty lenient and the lines moved quicker. Looks like times have changed!

Maybe 46 could sponsor her. :D

cj's dad
05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
She's been on assistance for 5 years and has two children one is 5 years old and other one is a year old.

I guess child #2 helps boost up that gov't entitlement each month !!

If she has one more she can probably afford a cruise.

DJofSD
05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Maybe 46 could sponsor her.
Naw, she looks too young and frisky for zz.

46zilzal
05-11-2009, 02:36 PM
ANYONE who crosses the border regularly knows that it is up to the individual border agent to let anyone across. I have met some who just had a bad day. IT IS NOT policy you are talking about merely difference in individuals interpretation on a daily basis.Lole the good bard Much Ado About NOTHING

cj's dad
05-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Naw, she looks too young and frisky for zz.

And certainly not well educated enough !! Possibly JUST a college grad - certainly no grad studies

46zilzal
05-11-2009, 02:51 PM
And certainly not well educated enough !! Possibly JUST a college grad - certainly no grad studies
You OBVIOUSLY have little experience with crossing that border regularly.

lsbets
05-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Lole the good bard Much Ado About NOTHING

Could you translate that for those of us not as well educated and enlightened as one so gifted as yourself?

DJofSD
05-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Could you translate that for those of us not as well educated and enlightened as one so gifted as yourself?
I can do that: women can not be trusted and the muslim's have it right.

46zilzal
05-11-2009, 03:26 PM
I can do that: women can not be trusted and the muslim's have it right.
Strong women has enlightened my life, as they should all of us and don't give a rat's ass about religion.....alternate explanation

Tom
05-11-2009, 03:50 PM

I think Lole is his sister.

Strong women has enlightened my life

Maybe she could tell him it is women have, not women has.
They taught me that at Community College. :D