PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Presumptuous...

812crew
05-11-2009, 01:17 AM
...that the owners of Mine That Bird would pull their shenanigans today, as if they had some long and storied past with Calvin Borel. I understand that in a perfect world they'd want to keep this great rider atop their horse, but they've been partners with Calvin for one race. One! And coming into the Derby, they lucked into getting such a great jockey because of a late scratch. Even they were amazed he was available when they signed him. Now, however, reading the quotes from Mark Allen, you'd think MTB's owners and Calvin went back 20 years, not one week.
My main thought after this bizarro day is IF they had succeeded in railroading Rachel Alexandra, do you think Calvin would even agree to ride MTB for them at the Preakness? Honestly, I don't know how I'd feel as a professional if I made an announcement publicly on which horse I preferred, thanked the MTB connections for the short time we had together, wished them luck in all their future endeavors, only to find out they sabotaged everything so that I was forced back onto my second choice. Had it all worked out like that, I wonder if Calvin would have taken the high road and told them to find themselves another jockey, because he doesn't want to be associated with people that handle themselves like that. Thoughts?

slewis
05-11-2009, 01:25 AM
...that the owners of Mine That Bird would pull their shenanigans today, as if they had some long and storied past with Calvin Borel. I understand that in a perfect world they'd want to keep this great rider atop their horse, but they've been partners with Calvin for one race. One! And coming into the Derby, they lucked into getting such a great jockey because of a late scratch. Even they were amazed he was available when they signed him. Now, however, reading the quotes from Mark Allen, you'd think MTB's owners and Calvin went back 20 years, not one week.
My main thought after this bizarro day is IF they had succeeded in railroading Rachel Alexandra, do you think Calvin would even agree to ride MTB for them at the Preakness? Honestly, I don't know how I'd feel as a professional if I made an announcement publicly on which horse I preferred, thanked the MTB connections for the short time we had together, wished them luck in all their future endeavors, only to find out they sabotaged everything so that I was forced back onto my second choice. Had it all worked out like that, I wonder if Calvin would have taken the high road and told them to find themselves another jockey, because he doesn't want to be associated with people that handle themselves like that. Thoughts?

:lol: :lol:

Calvin would be on MTB.

toussaud
05-11-2009, 01:28 AM
apparantly mine that bird isnt' the only participant without any balls....

812crew
05-11-2009, 01:38 AM
:lol: :lol:

Calvin would be on MTB.

I agree. I think he would be as well. But it seems to be the nature of sports these days. There are not many repercussions for people who act with borderline ethics. Calvin would ride MTB, because of the potential paycheck and the chance at a triple crown. But it would be interesting if a major participant in a story like this would sacrifice a bit of themselves for the benefit of the sport. Baseball would not be in the position it's in if people had started doing that ten years ago.
Kudos to Marylou Whitney and John Hendrickson, though, for setting the story straight on their involvement. They seem as appalled as anyone by the news.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50710/whitney-will-not-exclude-rachel-alexandra

joanied
05-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Zayat & Allen are both full of s***...but I beleive MaryLou W is sincere in the statement they gave out...which is s huge relief..i didn't want to start not liking that woman.

cj's dad
05-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Zayat & Allen are both full of s***...but I beleive MaryLou W is sincere in the statement they gave out...which is s huge relief..i didn't want to start not liking that woman.

Afraid you weren't going to be invited over for the cook-outs ! :lol:

sonnyp
05-11-2009, 03:05 PM
I agree. I think he would be as well. But it seems to be the nature of sports these days. There are not many repercussions for people who act with borderline ethics. Calvin would ride MTB, because of the potential paycheck and the chance at a triple crown. But it would be interesting if a major participant in a story like this would sacrifice a bit of themselves for the benefit of the sport. Baseball would not be in the position it's in if people had started doing that ten years ago.
Kudos to Marylou Whitney and John Hendrickson, though, for setting the story straight on their involvement. They seem as appalled as anyone by the news.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/50710/whitney-will-not-exclude-rachel-alexandra

don't limit this unethical and generally accepted behavior to the sportsworld. look, also, at our politicians, business leaders, wall street, evangelists etc. etc. etc. this behavior is, now, the "american way". it has destroyed what was once a great society. "doing the right thing" is now perceived as a weakness.

joanied
05-11-2009, 03:39 PM
don't limit this unethical and generally accepted behavior to the sportsworld. look, also, at our politicians, business leaders, wall street, evangelists etc. etc. etc. this behavior is, now, the "american way". it has destroyed what was once a great society. "doing the right thing" is now perceived as a weakness.

SonnyP...man, ya got that right:ThmbUp: ...it's everywhere:faint: