PDA

View Full Version : Historical Data Base Available?

Wizard of Odds
05-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Without starting from scratch and collecting data myself, is there a way to (legally) obtain a historical data base (say last 3 years at major tracks) of past performances and associated results.

Is this available for free? for payment?

Sorry if these are obvious questions...

JustRalph
05-09-2009, 10:40 PM
bris has an archive server

you can do it.......... but get out your wallet..............

i think I bought arlington park and Hollywood for a year and they ran about 200 bucks a piece.............

you basically buy the cards.........and the results files and build your own database............

Wizard of Odds
05-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Can you grab easy free stuff from the Internet, like early program with M/L and results?

Warren Henry
05-09-2009, 10:48 PM
You can buy an unlimited annual subscription for Daily Racing Form Charts in comma delimited format. Gives you the capability to download all races run in North America for an entire year. I believe the cost is $799. Thus, if you wanted a database of the last two years, $1600 will get it all.

Wizard of Odds
05-09-2009, 11:04 PM
...but not the associated Past Performances as they existed before each race?

Thanks

JustRalph
05-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Can you grab easy free stuff from the Internet, like early program with M/L and results?\

not really

BillW
05-10-2009, 01:24 AM
...but not the associated Past Performances as they existed before each race?

Thanks

You should be able to build a somewhat complete database from the charts only. Obviously races from the prior year will be missing.

Wizard of Odds
05-10-2009, 08:13 AM
If someone has already compiled a huge data base and processed it so it's easy to query, can I buy it from them?

Does anyone have such a database?

sjk
05-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Of course people have assembled databases but the terms of service of most data acquisition would prohibit resale.

Wizard of Odds
05-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Of course people have assembled databases but the terms of service of most data acquisition would prohibit resale.

That's what I was wondering. Are there any where resale is not prohibited, say because the data was pre-processed?

Wizard of Odds
05-10-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm not an attorney, but

If I buy a DRF, can't I resell it?

If I buy 1,000 DRF, can I resell them?

If I buy 1,000 DRF, scan them, and process them, can't I resell this?

If I use my backround in statistics to work with someone who has paid for a huge database, does this violate terms of use?

I really don't get what is and is not 'permitted'????

BillW
05-10-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm not an attorney, but

If I use my backround in statistics to work with someone who has paid for a huge database, does this violate terms of use?

It's simply up to the seller. When you buy the data you agree to the purchase under the terms offered by the seller, an unwritten contract if you will.

DeanT
05-10-2009, 10:57 AM

A simple rule of thumb? If something can generate increased handle in racing, it is probably not permitted.

applebee
05-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm not an attorney, but

All of your questions are answered here.
http://www.equibase.com/about/terms.cfm

Wizard of Odds
05-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks everyone...

I have read 5(c) three times now, and it seems to say that....

if I buy from Equibase, I can't create an electronic computer data base even if it's for my own use only!!!

AM I READING THIS CORRECTLY????

If I am, that is RIDICULOUS:bang:

BillW
05-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks everyone...

I have read 5(c) three times now, and it seems to say that....

if I buy from Equibase, I can't create an electronic computer data base even if it's for my own use only!!!

AM I READING THIS CORRECTLY????

If I am, that is RIDICULOUS:bang:

That's what it looks like. Why not call Equibase and ask them about it?

DeadHeat
05-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. You could likely get better advice from a baboon.

Although it does read that way, I think it it tied to 1(a) where you are not to disseminate the information. Like any other copyright, you cannot give others the info. They will never have any way of even knowing if you make a database for yourself.

Horse racing software makes use of that information on a daily basis. The important fact is that the user of the software has to buy from them or one of their many distributors (Bris, TSN, etc.) in order to make the software work.

That is my take anyway.

DH

JustRalph
05-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. You could likely get better advice from a baboon.

DH
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BillW
05-11-2009, 12:47 AM

DH

Same disclaimer, but my take is that their user license gives them a lot of flexibility in going after someone that is doing something unforseen with their data that they don't like.

Lateralus
05-12-2009, 04:35 AM
Although it does read that way, I think it it tied to 1(a) where you are not to disseminate the information. Like any other copyright, you cannot give others the info. They will never have any way of even knowing if you make a database for yourself.

I think you're correct; you just can't disseminate the information. Once someone has the data, I'm pretty sure that legally they can do whatever the hell they want with it as long as they don't share it. It may be against their "terms of service" to do any number of different things but it is definitely NOT against the law.

Another example: it is against the terms of service of software companies for people to take their software and decompile it for any reason. HOWEVER, it is NOT against the law, and in fact that was decided in court. If I buy a piece of horse racing software for example, and I have what I think is a fabulous set of add ons I feel confident I can program in, it will be against the terms of service to do so but legally I'm well within my rights to decompile the software and write my own personal version. Now if I were to share or especially sell it, that would be VERY MUCH against the law.

As for what you do or don't do with data Wizard of Odds, I suggest you get all of the data you need and do whatever the hell you want with it. It's not illegal in the least. So what if it's against the "terms of service". For what they charge for data, to tell me what I can and can't do with the data on my own damn computer, I'll tell them where they can stick their ToS.

Wizard of Odds
05-12-2009, 07:08 AM
A very impassioned reply:eek:

I think you're correct; you just can't disseminate the information. Once someone has the data, I'm pretty sure that legally they can do whatever the hell they want with it as long as they don't share it. It may be against their "terms of service" to do any number of different things but it is definitely NOT against the law.

Another example: it is against the terms of service of software companies for people to take their software and decompile it for any reason. HOWEVER, it is NOT against the law, and in fact that was decided in court. If I buy a piece of horse racing software for example, and I have what I think is a fabulous set of add ons I feel confident I can program in, it will be against the terms of service to do so but legally I'm well within my rights to decompile the software and write my own personal version. Now if I were to share or especially sell it, that would be VERY MUCH against the law.

As for what you do or don't do with data Wizard of Odds, I suggest you get all of the data you need and do whatever the hell you want with it. It's not illegal in the least. So what if it's against the "terms of service". For what they charge for data, to tell me what I can and can't do with the data on my own damn computer, I'll tell them where they can stick their ToS.

Lateralus
05-12-2009, 07:54 PM
A very impassioned reply:eek:

Yes, indeed it was. :) The reason being, a big pet peeve of mine happens to be terms of service agreements that attempt to place massive restrictions on what a person can and cannot do with software and / or data on their own computer once they've purchased it. Obviously, one cannot share or sell the work of others. However, to try and place massive restrictions on what an individual does with unshared software or data on his or her own computer, that has always bothered me a great deal. Thankfully the courts agreed with me on that one. As long as something is not against the law, terms of service agreements are nothing more than a series of "suggestions" as far as I'm concerned. Historical racing data is so bloody expensive, that one in particular irked me.

PaceAdvantage
05-13-2009, 03:59 AM
Obviously, one cannot share or sell the work of others.And yet, it happens all the time...each and every day...and you wonder why companies do what they do with their terms and whatnot...

InControlX
05-24-2009, 11:36 AM
You can buy an unlimited annual subscription for Daily Racing Form Charts in comma delimited format. Gives you the capability to download all races run in North America for an entire year. I believe the cost is $799. Thus, if you wanted a database of the last two years, $1600 will get it all.

I would agree with Warren's suggestion.

I've been maintaining a private database from DRF comma delimited chart files since mid-2007 and paying the freight each year. Although there's a price ($799/yr), I'm glad the data is available. I doubt the DRF nor Equibase objects, after all, they're getting their money and I don't resell. Besides, what WOULD one do with comma delimited files other than organize it (database) for handicapping, print wallpaper?

If you are heading in this direction, my advice is that the Charts subscription serves you better than the Past Performances. You can generate the latter with the former but not vice-versa. With Charts you can also rate the full previous race's pace of each entry which is not available in the PPs. This approach also places you on a different path than the PP canned analysis software which can improve your return.

ICX

kenwoodallpromos
05-24-2009, 12:14 PM
info sourse.

RobinFromIreland
05-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Enter the TrackMaster Software Dev contest and you get the entire 2005 Thoroughbred and Harness seasons' entry and chart files sent to you by (snail) mail on DVD.

A great (and legal) way to start some analytics with a large data set.

See the TrackMaster Software Development contest thread (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58242)