PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita

LARRY GEORGE
05-09-2009, 12:20 PM
anybody knows who will bidding for the great race place aka santa anita

andymays
05-09-2009, 12:38 PM
anybody knows who will bidding for the great race place aka santa anita

Don't know, but I would imagine that because of the uncertain future of California Racing the price will not be close to what people may think.

Fingal
05-09-2009, 02:32 PM
From the figures I've seen, Stronach only paid $ 126 mil for it originally.

Indulto
05-09-2009, 03:22 PM
anybody knows who will bidding for the great race place aka santa anitaPure speculation on my part, but I'd guess the following for the now Late Pace Place:
a) Halsy Minor
b) Mike Pegram
c) CDI
d) TOC

CBedo
05-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I doubt it would be CD. They have pretty much said that buying racetracks is not the right strategy now.

miesque
05-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I doubt it would be CD. They have pretty much said that buying racetracks is not the right strategy now.

Not just that, but they already bought and sold a racetrack in Southern California and if I recall when they sold Hollywood Park they retained an option to repurchase 25% if slots were approved so I don't think we will see them return to SoCal until that happens. However, if the price is low enough, well I suppose maybe they might but I think others will pop in if thats the case. I think its more likely to see one of the Indian tribes make a play for it (which I have heard rumors/speculations/wishful thinking, which never fully made sense to me since they already have the best set-up).

Indulto
05-09-2009, 10:45 PM
With HOL gone, SA and DMR could get more dates. If CDI also bought XpressBet (or offered incentives for other ADW account Holders to convert), wouldn't they increase their revenue in a manner consistent with their current business model?

I'm not advocating CDI as the best solution for Calif. horsemen and/or players of Calif. tracks, but there is sufficient value to CDI to justify their making a bid.

bishlap
05-11-2009, 03:31 AM
Bing Crosby

DALLIEDOG
05-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Betfair

fmolf
05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Betfair
no matter who gets it it looks like condos to me....a shopping center .....amusement indoor skiing...rock climbing ....need someone with vision to build a them park centered around a racetrack so wives and kids can go to the other attractions while anyone who likes can bet the races
look at what their building in dubai...other attractions are what can bring in money for the track....the driving range at tampa does well!...golf course at delaware...it can be done

Indulto
05-14-2009, 05:56 PM
http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2009/05/14/news/doc4a0b722f3bef4335834558.txt (http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2009/05/14/news/doc4a0b722f3bef4335834558.txt)
Track fate may undermine industry
By PAUL POST May 14, 2009The uncertain fate of several of America’s top racetracks threatens to undermine the entire thoroughbred industry, New York Racing Association says.

… "There will be some potential risk to racing," NYRA President and CEO Charles Hayward said. "A healthy national horse racing business needs to have various amenities and other high-quality tracks. Our biggest concern is what happens to Santa Anita, the premier track in Southern California. If it closes, there certainly would be a decline in interest nationwide. California is a very big market for wagering.

"If people aren’t following the horses, they’ll lose interest in New York racing, too."

... The even greater concern is that one or more Magna tracks could be redeveloped for other purposes, although Santa Anita’s historic status would likely block such attempts.

… With the economy struggling and a general decline in racing interest, Hayward said he doesn’t believe any U.S. racing operators will purchase Magna’s tracks.

Parties to watch, however, might include the likes of Sheik Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai. He’s considered one of the world’s five richest men and owns Godolphin Racing and Darley Stable. A close associate of the sheik’s, Abdulla al Habbai, purchased Kentucky-based Fasig-Tipton Co. last year.

toetoe
05-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Steve Wynn.

Yeah, baby. :jump: .

BeatTheChalk
05-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Bing Crosby

Nahh... my sources tell me that Pat Obrien has a long term option on the
place. : Fait and Begorrah Will Ye Looka Tha? ;)