PDA

View Full Version : How To Win The Pick 6

aaron
05-09-2009, 09:14 AM
A new book on Amazon titled "How To Win The Pick 6" by Steven Kolb.
Has anybody read this book ? Do you have any opinions ?

Overlay
05-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Here's some promotional verbiage off the Web:

http://thepick6.blogspot.com/2009/04/2009-kentucky-oaks-pick-6-will-pay-only.html

maxwell
05-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I have the perfect name for a Pick Six book title:

See Spot Run; See Spot Chase His Tail.

I know because I chase my tail every weekend. But I love it. :D

Fingal
05-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Is he trying to make money by hitting the P6, or is he trying to make money by writing & selling a book with a hook line ?

DeadHeat
05-11-2009, 03:15 AM
Not once did he mention how many times he has hit the P6 or if he ever has.

DH

1st time lasix
05-11-2009, 11:25 AM
count me a carryover "chaser" ............seem to get four or five out of six fairly regularly. Even have had several live to "hedge' in the last leg. But no life changing scores. Use the ABC approach recommended by Crist in his book. I need to get better.....work harder....get lucky or use more capital..... maybe a combination of all four components. Hope springs eternal!

beefas
05-11-2009, 05:32 PM
I Read this book, i think its pretty dam good if you like to chase the pick6, just another tool in the box to add with the others, worth the 20 spot any way..good luck all................... :ThmbUp:

riskman
05-11-2009, 06:16 PM
There is no way I am giving up Credit default swaps. I am sticking with a low risk investment.

I plan to hit it big with Economic and Weather derivatives.

The Obama economic plan is they key---but then there is the saying --when it rains it pours

Overlay
05-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Here's the publisher's ad that's currently being run here on PA:

http://www.rhovenpublishing.com/

maxwell
05-12-2009, 06:12 AM
The publisher is probably right in saying the only way to play this game is to swing for the fence. The exotic pools of the big races are simply too big to ignore. The SoCal P6 and the Triple Crown are the 'golden geese' of wagering. The Derby superfecta pool was 8 million! The BC P6 averages 3.2 ... which ain't too bad either. Dollar for dollar, the Derby has to be the best wagering prospect in North America.

I've just started playing the SoCal P6 on the weekends. I have a set rule of playing a max. wager of $54 ( 3x3x3x1x1x1 ). I try to keep my singles down to very logical horses - 4/1 max. ML odds. You need logic and value if you want to wander around in this minefield.

It will cost me between 5 and 6 grand to play for a year. But it only takes one modest P6 to recoup that. I could get lucky and do much better.

The legendary bettor 'Nick the Greek' once said: "Betting improves the flavor of living". Believe it ... but DON'T bet money you can't afford to lose. :)

bitter
05-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Here's some promotional verbiage off the Web:

http://thepick6.blogspot.com/2009/04/2009-kentucky-oaks-pick-6-will-pay-only.html

keeping that oaks pk6 in his blog doesn't really give me a great urge to run out and pick up a copy of this

CBedo
05-12-2009, 03:12 PM
The publisher is probably right in saying the only way to play this game is to swing for the fence. The exotic pools of the big races are simply too big to ignore. The SoCal P6 and the Triple Crown are the 'golden geese' of wagering. The Derby superfecta pool was 8 million! The BC P6 averages 3.2 ... which ain't too bad either. Dollar for dollar, the Derby has to be the best wagering prospect in North America.

I've just started playing the SoCal P6 on the weekends. I have a set rule of playing a max. wager of $54 ( 3x3x3x1x1x1 ). I try to keep my singles down to very logical horses - 4/1 max. ML odds. You need logic and value if you want to wander around in this minefield.

It will cost me between 5 and 6 grand to play for a year. But it only takes one modest P6 to recoup that. I could get lucky and do much better.

The legendary bettor 'Nick the Greek' once said: "Betting improves the flavor of living". Believe it ... but DON'T bet money you can't afford to lose. :)
If you could get the winner in your 3 deep fields 75% of the time (doubtful given some of the types of races they put in the pick 6 sequence) and can get 30% winners from your singles, you could still easily go well over a year without ever hitting one of these (55% chance of not hitting one if you play once a weekend). And be careful about limiting your singles to low price horses; with these hit rates, you'll need a $4,600 payout minimum to break even.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just showing how hard it is to play the pick 6 with small tickets.

Greyfox
05-12-2009, 03:36 PM
I know that this may sound silly but....
1. You have to be able to win one race first.

2. When you get reasonable at that then you need to get consistent at winning two races and a profit on them..

3. When you are consistently able to win daily doubles and profit from them, it makes sense to move on to Pick 3's....And that's where I'm basically sitting at the moment, although I've won some good Pick 4's.

Most of you are pretty bright so I think that you can see where I'm going with this. Pick 6 players should demonstrate proficiency in the shorter horizontals first before taking serious stabs at it.
Otherwise, it's a silly swing for the fences. Oh, I play the Pick 6, but more as just a fun small bet challenge.

maxwell
05-13-2009, 06:52 PM
CBEDO,

I plan on playing Sat. & Sun. I wouldn't want to try to win with high priced singles, that's just looking for trouble. I like to back up my value plays with solid horses, that's why I go with 3.

I like to handicap the P6 even though I can't play through the week. My picks for today were:

2,5,6 = $36 ... a scratch in the first leg.

My key in the 4th was 4/1 ML but paid $25 to win. Why I don't know? As you can see, there is value in some lower priced horses.

52 weeks = 108 P6. If I can't win even one, I deserve to lose 5 grand. :D

maxwell
05-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Yikes! 52 = 104. Maybe I should forget this. :D

proffdw
06-25-2009, 03:26 PM
hi. it's simple.if he was trying to win the pick 6
he would do that not put out a book.anytime
someone puts out a book,system,or software
they want to make money.i started betting on the horses in 1967 at longacres near seattle,and i
then my brother,and i bought a lot of systems,
and computer programs.being dumb we thought
they way the brochures read we could make our
living at horse racing.well the only ones who made money were the system sellers,and most
of the time we could not get a refund.after years
of betting on horse races i can safely say no
system is worth buying.go to the track,and learn
by doing,and watching like i finaly did.i got a box full of systems that i haven't used in years.well i
hope this helps. proffdw

Steven Kolb
09-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Replies to the - How to WIN the PICK 6 - book questions/comments

Is he trying to make money by hitting the P6? (ALWAYS!!) Is he trying to make money by writing & selling a book (YES!) with a hook line (Most nonfiction books have a HOOK of some type).

Not once did he mention how many times he has hit the P6 (Don’t know where you were reading, but it’s noted in my bio. Thirty-five times. From $46 to three six-figure wins).

Re: playing derivatives. That’s gambling and is a no-no for me. ;)

Maxwell is on the right path. The ONLY way to attain wealth at the track is by being a Pick 6 winner, a repeat Pick 6 winner.

CBedo – the idea of only playing carryovers or on weekends is not the best of ideas. If a Wed. Oak Tree with a basic $115K pool is winnable - PLAY IT! If a $430K double carryover has sixty-eight runners and you can’t find anything close to a single…stop handicapping – toss in a tiny bet for fun – go enjoy your day and try again when it’s WINNABLE!

Greyfox – 99% of players will go broke trying to learn how to become a Pick 3 champion. In the meantime they could have made an intelligent (read the book) $32 Pick 6 wager and cashed out $200K. (You can't win big if you don't play.)

proffdw – Come on man… I win the Pick 6 roughly 3% of my plays. Wager size will vary from a few hundred to more than I like to tell my wife. (Sorry, but she finds out anyway). Of those 3% winners I usually HOPE to get 15 – 30% of the pool. In a $125K pool my ticket is built to win a $20K to $40K paycheck. I’ve won much more and (believe me) I've won much, much less. I've had a few great years and some absolutely horrific years. It’s the Pick 6!

People like to share what they’ve learned. Steven Crist is a Pick 6 player. He also believes that the Pick 6 is the best way to make money at the track (a smart guy).To make some money and share his knowledge, Crist wrote a book - Betting Exotic’s. Would you not by his book, or my book, or anybody else’s book or system because our money is in a pool "against" yours? Think about what you wrote. We all aren't against you - we're for you!
FYI – You probably paid a handsome price to learn this game OJT. Your comments didn’t help this time, but thanks for being here!
_______

Lastly - - Almost all Pick 6 players are losers (I was there) because they are stuck in the 'muck' and they can't get out. The reason they can't get out is because in their mind they "know what they're doing."
It was a series of events that made me rethink and then change the way I played the Pick 6. I am thankfull those events took place.
Admit that there just might be a better way. My book could very well show you that better way. If it doesn't, it just might open the winning door, just enough, that you will find another way out of the muck and into the winners circle.
The above probably doesn't describe you. If you know of a player that is stuck...show them this post - or the book. They must take action to get out of the muck and become a winner. If no action - they're doomed to remain stuck.

Good Luck!

Steven Kolb

aaron
09-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Steve,
I read your book and I'm not saying that it won't help some people become better pick 6 players.
Overall, I didn't think you gave much insight into the bet,that hasn't been given by others. The book could have easily been cut in half and your theories stated much more simply.
That said, I am not questioning your knack for playing the pick 6,but I don't think anyone reading the book can develop the same knack you seem to have.

andymays
09-26-2009, 10:03 PM
If you don't have a big bankroll you shouldn't invest a lot in the pick 6 in my opinion. If you have a few hundred for the day it's foolish to invest more than $24. I seem to do better with smaller ticket because I have to commit to two or three singles. I generally have the bigger prices and leave out the 3-5 shot that wins. I did get lucky once on an $8 ticket.

plainolebill
09-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Steve, I bought and enjoyed your book. The 30/30/40 rule was worth the price.

Steven Kolb
10-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Aaron - The books "theories" (facts) are stated directly. They are expanded with stories and humor in an effort to make them "stick". So many people read and forget. The book was written for the 90% of racing fans that need help cashing a Pick 6 ticket. The remaining 10% aren't going to read it or if they do they aren't going to change. Change is usually difficult.
I did NOT want a dry book with nothing but Pick 6 numbers. I wanted to educate, entertain and have the readers enjoy all of the chapters.
Steven Crist has a 20 page chapter on the Pick 6 wager. You can read it in 15 minutes. Nothing wrong with it. He has an A/B/C method he likes. Some of his views differ dramatically from mine. There is value in both books. Note: Both of us agree that the best way to attain wealth at the racetrack is via the Pick 6. That needs to sink in.
-
Andy - Read the book when you have the chance. For a $32 wager you can cover 3 Fav's, 3 Contenders - and 4 longer shots at 5-1 or higher.
Hit this on a good Pick 6 pool and you might go home with $20K - $40K. That would be a great start towards financial freedom for some players.
You can obviously play several $32 tickets or one larger one - -or whatever you want.
-
Thanks Bill - The 30/30/40 Rule is awesome!
Follow Oak Tree and Belmont for the month of October. I'll bet it happens 8 - 10 times. I want my readers to be there when it does.

Hitting a Trifecta for $330 is fun. Hitting the Pick the Pick 6 $33,000 is an exhilarating experience I hope you'll soon have.

All - The goal is to have fun at the track. Encourage newbie's to give the sport a try.
If there is a Pick 6 with a big pool that's winnable - give it your very best!

Time to bring home the bacon...

Good luck to you.

Steven Kolb

rrbauer
10-05-2009, 03:37 PM
PowerBall

No handicapping, play it for a buck, you have the same chance as the syndicates.

Steven Kolb
11-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Amazon has lowered the price of the book.
____
Both Friday and Saturday are playable w/ modest field sizes of 59 and 64.
From experience...my best advise is to eliminate as many favorites as you possibly can. The general public racing fan won't be able to.
The Morning Line odds are - at best - only reasonable.
I think there will be plenty of horses winning Pick 6 races with odds ranging from 5-1 to 12-1.
____
IMO _
Today I do like Seventh Street and Rainbow View... NOT Blind luck.
____
Saturday.

Mastercraftsman will be singled by the masses, but he can be beat.

"Z" is a favorite - probably a false favorite - that might be avoided.
_____

Put a Pick 6 ticket together if you can. It's how dreams come true.

Good luck and enjoy what should be an awesome Breeders' Cup.

Best of luck to all!

Steven Kolb

FYI
If you have the book - take a minute and read the
chapter - - Carryovers and ONLY Carryovers.

Hanover1
11-06-2009, 03:18 PM
At what point can one get close enough to "buy" the pick6? I would like to see some numbers that tell me what my cost would be to wheel them all, thus assuring the hit. I know the number is huge, but at what point would it be considered a good risk to use most of the numbers. Surely there is an area well know to bettors, that gives a reasonable look at success? This is assuming we all understand that you could theoreticly wheel them all, save 1 horse, and still lose........

Steven Kolb
11-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Buying the Pick 6? A good question.
Saturdays $2M guaranteed Breeders' Cup has 1,338,480 possible winning combinations.
You can buy it 100% for $2,676,960. You WILL win the Pick 6. You WILL go home broke, but you will have won the Pick 6.

To buy this Pick 6 "realistically" would require (best guess) a minimum of $60,000
Legs A - F might look like this - - - 5 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 7 X $2 = $58,800

It could pay back that much, or $580,000, or over $1,580,000.

However, there's a chance you'd still lose :mad:
__
I can put a winning BC ticket together for $864 and sleep at night.
I can also do it for $64 or $6,400 >>> Hey, it's horse racing. If I put my
selections together and allow myself the opportunity...I will earn good Pick 6 money -year after year.
__
I don't think I can buy the Breeders Cup Pick 6.
I don't think I'd even want to try...unless I used your money.
__
FYI - - If the initial five legs are reasonable results...I have four selections in race 9. If Girolamo wins it could be my biggest Pick 6 ever. Otherwise $65K to $90K will do just fine.
__
Remember...if you don't play - you can't win!
-
*Girolamo is my longest shot on the card.

toetoe
11-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I chase my tail every weekend. I love it. :D

Best place to chase tail: Del Mar, where the Toe meets the tuft (on a really good day).

rrpic6
11-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Having had some memorable days in BC past, I played just a "fun" ticket this year. For $36 I was able to get 2 of my 3 singles to win (Goldikova and Conduit) Mastercraftsman was the other. Even on a big ticket, I would have left out Dancing in Silks and ZENYATTA! Was not a believer until yesterday, as I pitched her in all exotics (on top). My head is still pounding and twinspires account is empty, as I thought I could make big money by keying Gio Ponti and Summer Bird (insult to injury as my other key in small wagers was Twice Over)

RR

Light
11-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Does anyone know if that BC syndicate played a P6 ticket or did they fold from previous fiasco's?

rrpic6
11-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Does anyone know if that BC syndicate played a P6 ticket or did they fold from previous fiasco's?

I'm assuming you mean the twinspires players pool? Its not legal in California to do that since about 2006 after winticket won quite a few there. 2004 was profitable at the BC. 2006 and 2007 was on Ky. Derby Day. We showed an overall profit when I was involved. My last involvement was 2007 at Monmouth.

RR

CBedo
11-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Buying the Pick 6? A good question.
Saturdays $2M guaranteed Breeders' Cup has 1,338,480 possible winning combinations.
You can buy it 100% for $2,676,960. You WILL win the Pick 6. You WILL go home broke, but you will have won the Pick 6.

To buy this Pick 6 "realistically" would require (best guess) a minimum of $60,000
Legs A - F might look like this - - - 5 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 7 X $2 = $58,800

It could pay back that much, or $580,000, or over $1,580,000.

However, there's a chance you'd still lose :mad:
__
I can put a winning BC ticket together for $864 and sleep at night.
I can also do it for $64 or $6,400 >>> Hey, it's horse racing. If I put my
selections together and allow myself the opportunity...I will earn good Pick 6 money -year after year.
__
I don't think I can buy the Breeders Cup Pick 6.
I don't think I'd even want to try...unless I used your money.
__
FYI - - If the initial five legs are reasonable results...I have four selections in race 9. If Girolamo wins it could be my biggest Pick 6 ever. Otherwise $65K to $90K will do just fine.
__
Remember...if you don't play - you can't win!
-
*Girolamo is my longest shot on the card.If this doesn't convince you of the folly of buying it, don't forget a couple things.

1) Even though you are trying to guarantee you hit it, you can't guarantee that you won't be sharing it with someone else.
2) If you spend a million dollars on $2 pick six tickets and hit it for 1.2 million, you will be going home a loser since Uncle Sam will be taking his cut.