PDA

View Full Version : betehorse "X"

HIman
04-28-2003, 09:48 PM
betehorse.com
Will be announcing betting exchange services on or before Derby Day according to online chat I had with customer service today. No details as to their setup yet, but they promised to put it on their site asap.

I'm all for the added prospect of offering odds as well as searching for a better price on my selections.

If you don't understand betting exchanges go to betfair.com for a good expalanation.

I'm leaving for 4 days after I finish this post, please make general replies I won't be able to respond. I feel there are many opinions on this subject! And many members here that can explain the situation better than I can.

Let's here them.................

Kentucky Bred
04-29-2003, 12:55 AM
Wow. If this is true it is really big. There are going to be very large forces at work to stop P2P (player to player) betting in the US. But how can they?

I am torn. I support the industry. Can it survive with any viable betting alternative available to the public?

However, in this case the alternative is incredibly superior. It is the ultimate in Ebay like betting. Pick your price. Favorite bettors find others to give them 8-5 on their even money choice. A locked in 8-5, I might add.

Think the favorite is vulnerable? Take the rest of the field versus the favorite. Pace handicappers should be salivating at the prospect of betting against the favorite when the pace shapes up to severely affect the fav chances.

Now, how do the tracks survive?

If this rumor isn't true. The next such rumor will be, or the next one. This will happen with US tracks and US bettors will take to it just like in Europe.

I wouldn't miss this battle for anything. The long term favorite here are the books. The tracks are going to have to learn to find a more diverse form of revenues to supplement the losses.

Do I hear the sound of slot machines?

Kentucky Bred

diablogger
04-30-2003, 10:27 PM
I don't think so. Internet betting makes up a small percentage of total handle, and most of that comes from people who will have neither the incentive nor the knowledge to play with offshore.

For bettors not in the US, they've already got betfair and others.

linrom1
05-01-2003, 09:51 PM
This ain't no furture, just another "make me some internet" money idea. How can any serious player even bother with this mickey mouse stuff.

TonyK@HSH
05-01-2003, 10:07 PM
I think ANY serious player will 'bother' with this idea. Serious players want to play where they get the best bang for their buck. They keep an eye on comps nd rebates because the 3-5% can make the difference between breaking even and a good year.

If the track (pari-mutuel pool) gives me 3-1 and I can get 4-1 elsewhere I'll take the 4-1 anyday. If your employer offerred to pay you $20 or $25 per hour which would you choose? Funny that linrom1 would mention Mickey Mouse here....look what the Disney corporation did with some Mickey Mouse stuff!

GameTheory
05-01-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by linrom1
This ain't no furture, just another "make me some internet" money idea. How can any serious player even bother with this mickey mouse stuff.

Mickey Mouse? Betfair is handling 10 million a day on their exchange. Betting exchange / market wagering is certainly going to be a major part of the future...

PaceAdvantage
05-01-2003, 11:49 PM
I just received the mailer today. Very intriguing, and something I will probably check out in the future.

These guys are offshore, right?? I can't imagine any state that would allow this kind of play to go on without giving them and the tracks a nice big cut.....

GameTheory
05-02-2003, 12:03 AM
ehorse is in Costa Rica.

There was a bill in North Carolina that would have allowed betting exchanges there. They removed that part of it for the time being, but it will be back. I think the US will eventually have exchanges. It will be a slow process, and we'll get them last, as usual, but they'll basically be forced to at some point...