PDA

View Full Version : Borel riding Rachel in Preakness

jognlope
05-08-2009, 06:24 PM
So to hell with Mine that Bird? I know Rachel is fantastic, but this is too weird for me. I'm not watching the Preakness if this happens. Cockeyed.

kenwoodallpromos
05-08-2009, 09:21 PM
So to hell with Mine that Bird? I know Rachel is fantastic, but this is too weird for me. I'm not watching the Preakness if this happens. Cockeyed.
Yeh, bummer; but what if CB is on RA and MTB STILL wins??

Run Nicholas Run
05-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Yeh, bummer; but what if CB is on RA and MTB STILL wins??

then we can say great training job by chip woolley.

Relwob Owner
05-08-2009, 09:36 PM
then we can say great training job by chip woolley.

I think we can already say that regardless of how he does in the Preakness

Zaf
05-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Think he made the right choice.

Z

Dahoss9698
05-08-2009, 11:39 PM

For the life of me I can't figure out why people are getting so upset about this. Borel has been riding Rachel since last year. He's been on Mine That Bird once. He said after the Oaks she was the best horse he's been on. This game is about winning. He's getting on the horse he thinks is better. He owes MTB's connections absolutely nothing. In fact, they probably owe him a lot. If it weren't for him, they would have never been in that winners circle last Saturday.

Wouldnt' it be cockeyed to NOT ride the horse you thought was better, if you had the choice?

Hajck Hillstrom
05-09-2009, 12:39 AM
....the proper decision is the filly.

Put a local jock on MTB.

GMB@BP
05-09-2009, 12:54 AM
....the proper decision is the filly.

Put a local jock on MTB.

I think they are using some new mexico native

Grits
05-09-2009, 01:00 AM
This, too, can be looked at from another interesting standpoint, as was noted by a friend of mine today.

The Triple Crown jockeys are a small, exclusive group. Only ten members. Having been given the choice by both trainers and connections to make the decision on which horse to ride in the Preakness. Because of his commitment to Rachael Alexandra, his opinion of her ability, (and maybe, his loyalty as well), Calvin is giving up the possibility of making history becoming the 11th jockey to win the Triple Crown.

As my friend noted, "how can one pass up the opportunity, however tenuous, to achieve something only ten other men have achieved?" It would be unthinkable for many. I doubt they'd dare to consider it.

As has been noted, if for some reason, RA doesn't go, he may still ride Bird.

And of course, there's always the conclusion of "Bird's got no shot". But, the same was felt last Saturday by the betting public, unfortunately.

Its a horserace, we don't ever know the outcome. And its a few more weeks before this TC is in the books.

macguy
05-09-2009, 01:24 AM
Wow, correct me if I am wrong, but I would find it VERY hard to believe that this has ever happened in the history of horse racing.

A jock turns down the opportunity to ride the Kentucky Derby winner back in the preakness so he can ride a filly against the boys in the same race.

I suppose it actually makes some sense, but it sure sounds strange.

fmolf
05-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Wow, correct me if I am wrong, but I would find it VERY hard to believe that this has ever happened in the history of horse racing.

A jock turns down the opportunity to ride the Kentucky Derby winner back in the preakness so he can ride a filly against the boys in the same race.

this is the first time a jock has willingly took off to ride another horse in the same race..horses have had different jockeys in each race due to suspensions and in one case a boating accident.....it is not definite she is even in the race ...they have to wait and see how many triple crown nominated horses are entered on wednesday..if fourteen or more she will not get in....wonder if another trainer say baffert or pletcher would enter a nominated horse just to keep her out....some other horse in their barn not pointed for this race just to fill it up and keep her out!

newtothegame
05-09-2009, 01:43 AM

Well...you might be right here...but, as someone mentioned in another post, Borel seems to get alot of "longer" horses. And don't get me wrong, he does well with them. But I think a case could be made for this barn as well. I could see ANY jock in america wanting to get a foot in the door of this barn. Not too mention, continuing to ride RA.

garyscpa
05-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Since Borel went to ride the filly, Wooley counters with Chantal Sutherland on MTB. She's already ridden him to 4 wins.

bettheoverlay
05-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Gordon Jones on his radio show this morning said it will be Mike Smith. (Chantal's boyfriend! so they said)

Greyfox
05-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Jockey's are independent businessmen. They don't put bread on the table with sentimental choices. The purse is huge. The jockey gets 10 %. He has to go where he thinks his best chances of earnings are. It's just that simple.

Greyfox
05-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Calvin is giving up the possibility of making history becoming the 11th jockey to win the Triple Crown.

Calvin is giving up the possibility of being on a Triple Crown winning horse.
He still has the possibility to win all three races, albeit on different steeds.

Grits
05-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Really now??? LOLOL

GF, I sorta realized this. Promise, I did. :)

Still, in the history of the KD, this has only occurred 3 times. Rare in a 135 years.

Calvin is giving up the possibility of being on a Triple Crown winning horse.
He still has the possibility to win all three races, albeit on different steeds.

Cubbymac26
05-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Did it ever occur to anybody maybe Calvin wants to win races such as the acorn Alabama ccao and maybe he really wants to win the Preakness after getting nailed two years ago but deep down inside I think he wants to smoke zenyatta in my own opinion I think ff wins by 6

Tom
05-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Wouldn't that be a gas if Calvin has a shot at the triple crown in the Belmont but not his horse! :D

Or even more bizarre, the Bird wins the Preakness, then he gets back on for the Belmont, and wins it - horse gets the crown and not the jock!

kenwoodallpromos
05-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Wouldn't that be a gas if Calvin has a shot at the triple crown in the Belmont but not his horse! :D

Or even more bizarre, the Bird wins the Preakness, then he gets back on for the Belmont, and wins it - horse gets the crown and not the jock!
Has a TC winner ever had 2 different jockeys? I'm thinking if MTB wins leg 2, then Borel jumps back on for MTB's Belmont win!!?

Oaklawn
05-09-2009, 09:11 PM
For the life of me I can't figure out why people are getting so upset about this. Borel has been riding Rachel since last year. He's been on Mine That Bird once. He said after the Oaks she was the best horse he's been on. This game is about winning. He's getting on the horse he thinks is better. He owes MTB's connections absolutely nothing. In fact, they probably owe him a lot. If it weren't for him, they would have never been in that winners circle last Saturday.

Wouldnt' it be cockeyed to NOT ride the horse you thought was better, if you had the choice?

I agree with your take 100%.

Relwob Owner
05-09-2009, 09:23 PM
I agree with your take 100%.

Me too....I dont think anyone can ever get on a jock for not being loyal.....they are usually the first blamed and the first to go when a horse runs poorly....

Imriledup
05-09-2009, 10:32 PM
RA is a once in a lifetime horse. MTB is not.

cj's dad
05-09-2009, 10:42 PM

It will be interesting to see if you have that same opinion about 6:30 PM this coming Saturday !!

rastajenk
05-09-2009, 11:34 PM
RA is a once in a lifetime horse. What are you, her agent? Your hyperbolic adoration is borderline creepy.

JustRalph
05-10-2009, 12:32 AM
you gotta admit this RA MTB thing has made what is normally a pretty boring week.........some fun........... lots of discussion and different scenarios bandied about............ :ThmbUp:

I would never thought I would be out looking for a copy of
Sports Illustrated this week............

Btw,,,,,,,,,,,, Bob Costas did a nice five minutes on how grand the Derby is, and how Horse Racing is in trouble but apparently getting well one year after the Eight Belles tragedy. He did this on his Sirus/Xm radio show Saturday evening..........overall he was very complimentary to all involved including Borel and the MTB connections

He urged all to try to attend the Derby once in their lifetime and called the Twin Spires a sports icon the likes of Indy Speedway, Boston's parquet floor and several other locations.......like Yankee Stadium.

fmolf
05-10-2009, 12:44 AM
your right.. one other horse won the derby at longer odds!......if he were legit though i would have taken my chance to win the triple crown...he's had two now he may never get another!.... if ra loses this could be his last ride on her anyway!

Speed Figure
05-10-2009, 12:48 AM
If MTB wins the Preakness, why would they let him back on?

Imriledup
05-10-2009, 04:19 AM
What are you, her agent? Your hyperbolic adoration is borderline creepy.

No, just someone who knows the game really well.

fmolf
05-10-2009, 04:40 AM
No, just someone who knows the game really well.
i think you do but don't you think this is an ambitious spot coming back in two weeks?she has not run well when doing this as a two yr old

bishlap
05-11-2009, 03:20 AM
If MTB wins the Preakness, why would they let him back on?we're definitely going to find out, IMO. Still, hard not to pull 4 a guy like Borel

sonnyp
06-07-2010, 03:21 PM
rachel worked this am at churchill under shaun bridgmohan.

i still think we'll see a new jock on june 12.

joanied
06-07-2010, 06:16 PM
rachel worked this am at churchill under shaun bridgmohan.

i still think we'll see a new jock on june 12.

How about Mike Smith :lol:

castaway01
06-07-2010, 08:46 PM
So glad we saw this brilliant thread brought back.