PDA

View Full Version : Mine That Bird was a FLUKE in the Derby!!!

roihandicapping
05-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Borel will ride Rachel Alexandra in the Preakness

Show Me the Wire
05-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Yes, it could mean that or it could mean Mr. Calvin is trying to expand his business base to the big operations. Who do you think will give Calvin the everyday rider more mounts, the connections of MIne That Bird or Asmussen?

If you want to risk your money on an unkown reason why a rider chooses one horse over another, that is your choice.

rjorio
05-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Mine That Bird may or may not be a fluke,but Rachel Alexandra is a Freak. Borel's decision was easy.

Show Me the Wire
05-08-2009, 03:27 PM
I am sure it was an easy decision for him. Ride for a no name outfit or ride for a high profile barn and get to ride an exceptional filly.

fmolf
05-08-2009, 04:08 PM
I am sure it was an easy decision for him. Ride for a no name outfit or ride for a high profile barn and get to ride an exceptional filly.
he may have a point ...asmussen would never have chosen him if he had not been aboard for all her wins.....maybe he really does not believe mtb has a chance to win the next two races in the triple crown... interesting stat here rachel has run twice on 2 weeks rest and finished 2nd both times in her two yr old season

rjorio
05-08-2009, 04:12 PM
There was never a doubt who Calvin would select.He stated after the Oaks that Rachel Alexandra was the best horse he has ever been on.If she runs in the Preakness she is a mortal lock.

startngate
05-08-2009, 04:14 PM
How crazy will it be if MTB turns out not to be a fluke, and completes the Triple Crown with someone else aboard ... :eek:

fmolf
05-08-2009, 04:20 PM
How crazy will it be if MTB turns out not to be a fluke, and completes the Triple Crown with someone else aboard ... :eek:
would make a great movie .... i am gonna stick with my papa clem ... i think he is peaking at the right time i think they are bringing rachel back too quickly...i hope she is the favorite!

rjorio
05-08-2009, 04:25 PM
If the filly does not run the race is wide open.

Relwob Owner
05-08-2009, 04:48 PM
There was never a doubt who Calvin would select.He stated after the Oaks that Rachel Alexandra was the best horse he has ever been on.If she runs in the Preakness she is a mortal lock.

While I think that she is a very good horse and will probably be the favorite, saying she is a "mortal lock" is quite an overstatement, in my opinion...why?

Filly against boys, first time
Will get much more comepetition, traffic early
Going the longest(not by much) than she ever has
The question of whether the previous connections werent putting her against the boys for a reason
Coming into probably the hardest race of her life on two weeks rest

The above factors are debatable but are questions. Having this many questions going into a race keeps a horse from ever being considered a "mortal luck" in my opinion

Greyfox
05-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Except that an accident occurs on the track, I don't think there is such a thing as a "fluke" in horse racing. There's usually a reason that a horse wins.
Whether or not I ever know that reason, there's an explanation somewhere.

Relwob Owner
05-08-2009, 05:04 PM
would make a great movie .... i am gonna stick with my papa clem ... i think he is peaking at the right time i think they are bringing rachel back too quickly...i hope she is the favorite!

From the mania on here, I think she will be...my main concern is Fresian Fire.....if the cut was a legit excuse for why he ran so badly and if the jock didnt ask him for much, he could be running pretty fresh...sticking with PC, though

Zenyatta To Crush
05-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Rachel would've gone off as favorite in the DERBY even if I Want Revenge had been entered. Now seeing that all the favorites struggled through that race and may not be as good as what people thought, then adding that Rachel probably exceeded expectations in the Oaks, there's no doubt she'll be a strong favorite. I'm hoping to get even money or better, although its very possible she goes off at 4/5. There will be many people drooling at the chance of getting Musket Man at 15-1 or Pioneer at 7-1, so that'll keep Rachel from being too low of a price for me.

This all depends on her getting into the race. I could see some trainers running horses that are nominated who have no shot, just to keep her out of the race. If Baffert enters some stupid, no chance horse, I'm gonna be pissed.

Relwob Owner
05-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Rachel would've gone off as favorite in the DERBY even if I Want Revenge had been entered. Now seeing that all the favorites struggled through that race and may not be as good as what people thought, then adding that Rachel probably exceeded expectations in the Oaks, there's no doubt she'll be a strong favorite. I'm hoping to get even money or better, although its very possible she goes off at 4/5. There will be many people drooling at the chance of getting Musket Man at 15-1 or Pioneer at 7-1, so that'll keep Rachel from being too low of a price for me.

This all depends on her getting into the race. I could see some trainers running horses that are nominated who have no shot, just to keep her out of the race. If Baffert enters some stupid, no chance horse, I'm gonna be pissed.

Why would Baffert run a stupid, no chance horse? Has he done it in the past? I am not giving you a hard time, I just saw you pointed hiom out and wondered if it was a pattern with him

Zenyatta To Crush
05-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Why would Baffert run a stupid, no chance horse? Has he done it in the past? I am not giving you a hard time, I just saw you pointed hiom out and wondered if it was a pattern with him
No, I really don't think Baffert would do that, I was just giving an example. If the field was at 14 horses with Rachel Alexandra, wouldn't you be tempted to run another average horse in your stable who is nominated to prevent Rachel from running? Anybody that did that would take a lot of heat for it, so I don't think it'll happen, but its possible. Whats more likely is that 1 or 2 horses who originally were gonna run in the Preakness drop out now due to Rachel running. I could see Baffert not wanting to run Pioneer now too.

Relwob Owner
05-08-2009, 05:49 PM
No, I really don't think Baffert would do that, I was just giving an example. If the field was at 14 horses with Rachel Alexandra, wouldn't you be tempted to run another average horse in your stable who is nominated to prevent Rachel from running? Anybody that did that would take a lot of heat for it, so I don't think it'll happen, but its possible. Whats more likely is that 1 or 2 horses who originally were gonna run in the Preakness drop out now due to Rachel running. I could see Baffert not wanting to run Pioneer now too.

Gothcha....good point....I just didnt know if there was an example of him doing it or not.

toetoe
05-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Borel's bombastic exaggeration was uttered before he met MTB, wasn't it ? That Derby run was impressive, regardless ... excuse me; I meant irregardless.

Cangamble
05-08-2009, 06:00 PM
With the new ownership and a new trainer, it is possible, though remotely that if Rachel runs in the Preakness, Borel doesn't even get the call.

But more probable, if he takes the call and wins with Rachel, he'll probably be the first jockey to win the first two legs on two different horses.

Pell Mell
05-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Borel's bombastic exaggeration was uttered before he met MTB, wasn't it ? That Derby run was impressive, regardless ... excuse me; I meant irregardless.

Toe, no need to excuse yourself because I believe you were correct in the first instance. At least that's what my english teacher told me about a hundred years ago, unless of course, you were just kidding.:ThmbUp:

Robert Fischer
05-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Borel will ride Rachel Alexandra in the Preakness

I agree with both the thread title and the large bolded statement, but see them as two separate, unrelated opinions.

Relwob Owner
05-08-2009, 07:02 PM
With the new ownership and a new trainer, it is possible, though remotely that if Rachel runs in the Preakness, Borel doesn't even get the call.

But more probable, if he takes the call and wins with Rachel, he'll probably be the first jockey to win the first two legs on two different horses.

he got the call, I believe

toetoe
05-08-2009, 08:07 PM
That reminds me, Pell:

Many countrymen use the term willy nilly when they mean, if I'm correct, pell mell, your lovely handle.

Willy nilly (hyphenated, maybe ?): inexorable, inevitable;

Pell mell: rash, impetuous.

P.S. As always, the possibility exists that I am wrong. Past laurels are no guarantee of future literacy. :rolleyes: .

pandy
05-08-2009, 08:08 PM
It's going to be tough for her, coming back in 2 weeks and facing a much faster and fuller field. She'll be an underlay.

GaryG
05-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Many countrymen use the term willy nilly when they mean, if I'm correct, pell mell, your lovely handle. Used by Idris Davies in The Bells of Rhymney:

They will plunder willy-nilly,
Say the bells of Caerphilly.

fmolf
05-08-2009, 08:32 PM
thats a good idea and i am sure the big boys have thought of it...pletcher..baffert..perhaps one or two others i do not know who has a nominated horse in his barn....that would be unsportsmanlike but totally within the rules set forth by the racing commission..."veeeeerrrrry interesting"

rastajenk
05-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Danthebluegrassman did it, didn't he? Entered the Derby and scratched, or entered to keep something on the bubble out, or something shady like that.

ezrabrooks
05-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Danthebluegrassman did it, didn't he? Entered the Derby and scratched, or entered to keep something on the bubble out, or something shady like that.

I believe you are correct..

Ez

rastajenk
05-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Last time I saw Dantheman in the entries, he was with $5000 claimers at Penn, I think it was, about a year ago.

nijinski
05-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Last time I saw Dantheman in the entries, he was with $5000 claimers at Penn, I think it was, about a year ago.
He is now at 'Old Friends" .

rjorio
05-17-2009, 03:30 PM
The gutsy gelding is headed to BIG SANDY for the test of champions. Let's all hope Rachel Alexandra is ready for the challenge. Racing needs the boost and NYRA COULD BE THE BIG WINNER . Come out to Belmont one and all for what shapes up as a historic day in racing.