PDA

View Full Version : Borel on Leno's Show?

strapper
05-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Is it true Calvin Borel will appear on The Tonight Show next Tuesday? I'll be sure and tune in.

Jinxed
05-08-2009, 11:45 AM
It's not listed in my satellite guide at all, and it says who is appearing every night. I doubt Borel would be flying cross-country for Leno's show with the Preakness so close. I think it's rumor. He is listed nowhere as a guest.

I guess anything is possible though. It depends on if you heard this from a reliable source or not. Plans could always change on any show I guess.

dutzman
05-08-2009, 12:08 PM
I heard this from a source who knows Borel personally. He didn't know the date, but said he would be on the Tonight Show.

LottaKash
05-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I hope he puts his teeth in for that gig.......:D

best,

macguy
05-08-2009, 12:13 PM
They said in the newspaper this morning that he would be on the show next week.

Dahoss9698
05-08-2009, 12:18 PM
It's not a rumor. He's supposed to be on the show on the 12th.

Jinxed
05-08-2009, 12:38 PM
I heard this from a source who knows Borel personally. He didn't know the date, but said he would be on the Tonight Show.

Things could chance in a heartbeat with the Leno show. It's possible, so I would hate to tell you wrong. It could be a last minute thing. It just isn't listed, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. If you find out definitely please let me know, I'd like to record it.

OMG, I so help he puts in his teeth on national TV. Leno has a great sense of humor. He will have a lot of fun with Calvin, and vice versa.

juanepstein
05-08-2009, 03:19 PM
are they gonna use subtitles?

http://nyulocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/miss-teen-south-carolina-subtitles.jpg

Hajck Hillstrom
05-08-2009, 03:29 PM
are they gonna use subtitles?:lol: :lol:

Yeah.... and they were thinking about utilizing a teleprompter too, but realized that there might be one big problem.... :D

Grits
05-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Logic leads me to believe, if Calvin can sit next to, and chat with the Queen, two years ago at a White House state dinner, he can handle Leno. With ease.

Calvin's comfortable with who he is, and how well he does the job he's worked so hard at all these years--y'all know--just out of 8th grade and all.

Confidence is a fine thing, when its tempered with humility. He's got both.

The podcast interview with him at Talkin' Horses is on BloodHorse this afternoon.

BUD
05-08-2009, 05:06 PM
When Ward Burton won the Daytona 500, he did the tv tour just fine. He did a stop in my City it was my detail- He comes over to me he is maybe no bigger then Calvin B--Mr Burton told me this great story. I could tell it was great, he was so animated- He walked away my buddy, fellow officer makes it over to me-Bud what did he say?-Me How the F___ do I know?

No disrespect.Hell few understand my Boston Accent. I am no one to poke fun at anyone but me.:cool:

Relwob Owner
05-08-2009, 05:13 PM
:lol: :lol:

Yeah.... and they were thinking about utilizing a teleprompter too, but realized that there might be one big problem.... :D

This being a forum, it is hard to interpret emails and ones that are kdding and stuff but I gotta say that making fun of how Borel talks and reads really isnt cool in my opinion....in an industry filled with so many questionable characters, I see no reason to make fun of one guy who genuinely seems to have his heart in the right place.......

Funny thing is that the guy who "cant talk" or "cant read" is at the top of his profession and has probably made more money than the majority of people who are making fun of him.....

strapper
05-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Very well said. Calvin is genuine. He may not have a PhD but he graduated with honors from the school of hard knocks and made it bigtime. You have to admire him.

Logic leads me to believe, if Calvin can sit next to, and chat with the Queen, two years ago at a White House state dinner, he can handle Leno. With ease.

Calvin's comfortable with who he is, and how well he does the job he's worked so hard at all these years--y'all know--just out of 8th grade and all.

Confidence is a fine thing, when its tempered with humility. He's got both.

The podcast interview with him at Talkin' Horses is on BloodHorse this afternoon.

JustRalph
05-08-2009, 07:17 PM
When Ward Burton won the Daytona 500, he did the tv tour just fine. He did a stop in my City it was my detail- He comes over to me he is maybe no bigger then Calvin B--Mr Burton told me this great story. I could tell it was great, he was so animated- He walked away my buddy, fellow officer makes it over to me-Bud what did he say?-Me How the F___ do I know?

I miss that MBNA Pontiac...........mostly the driver....... :lol:

PaceAdvantage
05-08-2009, 07:30 PM
This being a forum, it is hard to interpret emails and ones that are kdding and stuff but I gotta say that making fun of how Borel talks and reads really isnt cool in my opinion....in an industry filled with so many questionable characters, I see no reason to make fun of one guy who genuinely seems to have his heart in the right place.......I agree completely...any further posts like that will be deleted.

Relwob Owner
05-08-2009, 07:32 PM
I agree completely...any further posts like that will be deleted.

thanks PA ;)

Bruddah
05-08-2009, 07:47 PM
This being a forum, it is hard to interpret emails and ones that are kdding and stuff but I gotta say that making fun of how Borel talks and reads really isnt cool in my opinion....in an industry filled with so many questionable characters, I see no reason to make fun of one guy who genuinely seems to have his heart in the right place.......

Funny thing is that the guy who "cant talk" or "cant read" is at the top of his profession and has probably made more money than the majority of people who are making fun of him.....

You get a Big Amen Bruddah from side of the aisle. :ThmbUp: Someone needs to ask Calvin what his share was for winning the Oaks/Derby. I believe it was enough to choke a few Horse Players. :D

David-LV
05-08-2009, 07:59 PM
It's not listed in my satellite guide at all, and it says who is appearing every night. I doubt Borel would be flying cross-country for Leno's show with the Preakness so close. I think it's rumor. He is listed nowhere as a guest.

I guess anything is possible though. It depends on if you heard this from a reliable source or not. Plans could always change on any show I guess.

It is now listed on the Dish TV satellite guide.

Jay Leno has Dennis Miller, Kelly Clarkson, and Calvin Borel listed as guests for Tues 5/12.

The show tapes at 5:00 PM PST. which gives Calvin plenty of time to get back.

_______
David

JustRalph
05-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Dennis Miller and Calvin Borel on the same set............

Wow! That should be interesting.............

Hajck Hillstrom
05-09-2009, 01:04 AM
thanks PA ;):lol: :lol:

Andy Beyer can write in the Washington Post that ALL jocks are pinheads, but if I illustrate a situation with a lob of humor in response to another post, I get raked over the coals?

I will sing the accolades of Calvin Borel in the irons ad nausem, and I won't assassinate his character out of them, though I will make light of circumstances in a harmless banter.

You, sir, are a very sensitive man if that post offended you, and I apologize for stepping on your very sensitive toes.

I thought this was a horse racing forum. I guess I will have to try and locate my invitation to the tea party. :bang:

juanepstein
05-09-2009, 01:25 AM

http://www.funkysonglyrics.com/images/Traditional-Method-Of-Playing-Violin.jpg
i can hear them right now!

newtothegame
05-09-2009, 01:49 AM

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: I couldnt agree more!!!! Although I do think it was made in jest with no Ill intent

joanied
05-09-2009, 04:44 PM
:jump: I just set our TV to record Leno...this is gonna be outstanding:jump: ...and hey...Calvin has rubbed elbows with a President and a Queen...he'll be fine and no doubt will make us all proud to be part of horse racing because I beleive he will not only be a ton of fun, but his heart will be on his sleeve and what ever he says will showcase the best of horse racing.
He's a class act from gate to wire:ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
05-09-2009, 04:55 PM

Andy Beyer can write in the Washington Post that ALL jocks are pinheads, but if I illustrate a situation with a lob of humor in response to another post, I get raked over the coals?

I will sing the accolades of Calvin Borel in the irons ad nausem, and I won't assassinate his character out of them, though I will make light of circumstances in a harmless banter.

You, sir, are a very sensitive man if that post offended you, and I apologize for stepping on your very sensitive toes.

I thought this was a horse racing forum. I guess I will have to try and locate my invitation to the tea party. :bang:Ummmm...I wasn't even thinking about your reply when I agreed with him....

I was thinking about the numerous references to Calvin's choppers by some others...

joanied
05-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Ummmm...I wasn't even thinking about your reply when I agreed with him....

I was thinking about the numerous references to Calvin's choppers by some others...

If one more person mentions Calvin's teeth, I'm gonna scream:bang:

Relwob Owner
05-09-2009, 05:16 PM

I thought this was a horse racing forum. I guess I will have to try and locate my invitation to the tea party. :bang:

You call me sensitive and you dont even know me. I wasnt attacking you at all so no need to get defensive, as you were in your post. I was commenting on your post and those of a few others that made fun of Borel's teeth, speaking ability and reading ability. I thought they were classless and that is my opinion...as you say, this is a forum, isnt it? You have the right to make your remarks and I have the right to respond, which i did.

If you think that making fun of someone's reading ability, speech, and personal appearance like you did is funny, then I guess you and I have a different idea of what consists of "harmless banter"....as far as what I read in your pretty defensive post referring to "tea partys" and such,I would guess that you are the one who are the one who now has the "sensitive toes"....good luck to you

Tom
05-09-2009, 05:24 PM
This just in....Alvin will not appear on Leno. He has accepted the guest spot on Letterman.

Of course, if something happens and Letterman is not on, Calvin will retain his spot with Leno.

;)

Indulto
05-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I agree completely...any further posts like that will be deleted.thanks PA ;)RO,
I object to this particular post of yours.

There are few situations that warrant deletion of posts. The moderators are supposed to use the board's TOS as a guideline, but sometimes they are unduly influenced by complaints from other posters and that always irritates me because IMO -- unless the TOS is violated -- all posts should be left up for each poster to evaluate himself, and not be prevented from doing so by some other poster's values and/or state of mind.

That said, I thought your prior post put Borel's accomplishments in proper perspective. I also found it interesting and appropriate that PA backed off after HH put his own comments in proper perspective. ;)

Relwob Owner
05-09-2009, 06:33 PM
[/i]RO,

There are few situations that warrant deletion of posts. The moderators are supposed to use the board's TOS as a guideline, but sometimes they are unduly influenced by complaints from other posters and that always irritates me because IMO -- unless the TOS is violated -- all posts should be left up for each poster to evaluate himself, and not be prevented from doing so by some other poster's values and/or state of mind.

That said, I thought your prior post put Borel's accomplishments in proper perspective. I also found it interesting and appropriate that PA backed off after HH put his own comments in proper perspective. ;)

Hello,

From your email, I think that you and maybe others may have thought that I asked for the posts to be deleted and I didnt do this at all....I only said "thanks PA" for his opinion supporting mine and didnt even think about the fact that he deleted them(he can back me up on this)......

Your thoughts about posts being left up are exactly the same as mine....I thought the comments were classless but I have never, nor would I ever go to the moderator....this is his world in terms of deciding what to keep up and what not to and I repect that.

i really appreciate your comment because I could see how it might be thought that I had asked for the posts to be taken down, which I didnt. Thanks for that:)

PaceAdvantage
05-09-2009, 06:36 PM
[/i]RO,

That said, I thought your prior post put Borel's accomplishments in proper perspective. I also found it interesting and appropriate that PA backed off after HH put his own comments in proper perspective. ;)You're a trip Indulto.

For the record, when it comes to the deletion of posts, any situation *I* deem worthy is the only one that counts. TOS or no TOS.

As you say, TOS is only a guide. You can think of it as a "living, breathing" TOS. You should be very familiar with that concept....

Indulto
05-09-2009, 06:55 PM
You're a trip Indulto.Thank you, PA.For the record, when it comes to the deletion of posts, any situation *I* deem worthy is the only one that counts. TOS or no TOS.Is not your supreme authority specified in the TOS?As you say, TOS is only a guide. You can think of it as a "living, breathing" TOS. You should be very familiar with that concept....Indeed I am.

Allow me to belatedly thank you personally for enriching my experience by allowing 46 back. Any possibility of pardons for A8 and Kelso?

Hajck Hillstrom
05-09-2009, 07:17 PM
If you think that making fun of someone's reading ability, speech, and personal appearance like you did is funny, then I guess you and I have a different idea of what consists of "harmless banter"....as far as what I read in your pretty defensive post referring to "tea partys" and such,I would guess that you are the one who are the one who now has the "sensitive toes"....good luck to youFair play.

I approached the thread in levity, much like in the vein in which I believe it was intended. Calvin Borel was going to guest on a comedic talk show, and somehow didn't find the thrust of the thread a serious one.

Classless? I guess we need to define the word humor first. Some see humor as making light of a serious situation. Others might view this perspective as classless, whereas the presenter might view these individuals as lacking a sense of humor. Perhaps both are right.

I can see where you might respond to my original post as "not funny," which I would certainly understand as it was meant to make the reader think. I didn't deliver an inappropriate punch line, as it was created in the reader's imagination.

Jocks have long drawn the ire and negative attentions of the horseplayer, as well as the butt of many a joke. They do provide a moving target, which makes the venture a challenging one, at times. When levity is met with condemnation though, one has to look at the intent.

Newtothegame was spot on with his observation there was "no ill intent."

Relwob Owner
05-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Fair play.

I approached the thread in levity, much like in the vein in which I believe it was intended. Calvin Borel was going to guest on a comedic talk show, and somehow didn't find the thrust of the thread a serious one.

Classless? I guess we need to define the word humor first. Some see humor as making light of a serious situation. Others might view this perspective as classless, whereas the presenter might view these individuals as lacking a sense of humor. Perhaps both are right.

I can see where you might respond to my original post as "not funny," which I would certainly understand as it was meant to make the reader think. I didn't deliver an inappropriate punch line, as it was created in the reader's imagination.

Jocks have long drawn the ire and negative attentions of the horseplayer, as well as the butt of many a joke. They do provide a moving target, which makes the venture a challenging one, at times. When levity is met with condemnation though, one has to look at the intent.

Newtothegame was spot on with his observation there was "no ill intent."

Well then I say we just play on so to speak....in my original post, I made sure to point out that emails and posts can be meant and interpreted differently and I know that....I think that you make a good point in that maybe "classless" is a step further than just "not funny"...

What i do like is that there was no name calling, just severe disagreement and that is cool with me and is the point of a forum! I stand by my thoughts but I can totally see your side and that the intent wasnt directed the way I thought and I get that and I think you get where I am coming from....now lets get back to some horse posting...best to ya HH

BUD
05-09-2009, 08:01 PM
If one more person mentions Calvin's teeth, I'm gonna scream:bang:

Being in my old Life--My Wife an I were together for a WHILE---One day she found out Bud Had Almost--ALMOST no teeth....In the early day when your teeth got knocked out they didn't even try to find them-Hockey--haha

Anything I could tease CB about I am guilty of myself-----He Spoke with, and had dinner with the Queen----I liked Queen Growing up---And I arrested quite a few Queens for shoplifting------Gawd you call the Paddy Hope its AV--If not you have to bring it in-----OH NOOOOOOOOOO:lol:

JustRalph
05-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Calvin reads the race form just fine. That is apparent.

He speaks like Justin Wilson and I enjoy Dat!

He ride as good as anybody............ that be his job!

Calvin be allllllllllright in my booky Book.......!

BombsAway Bob
05-09-2009, 11:43 PM
I agree completely...any further posts like that will be deleted.
ok..I love being here at Pace. I have seen many things written that I felt were Waaaaaay out of line,but since this is an open forum, you need to grow some thicker skin at times, & not take joshing seriously.
IMHO, If a poster makes a comment that includes three (3) or more smiley faces of any shape or form: (i.e.,including, but not limited to: :) :jump: :cool: ;) :p :lol: :D :kiss: )
the statement in question is undoubtedly in fun! ( :rolleyes: )

Bruddah
05-10-2009, 07:10 AM
For the record, when it comes to the deletion of posts, any situation *I* deem worthy is the only one that counts. TOS or no TOS.

As you say, TOS is only a guide. You can think of it as a "living, breathing" TOS. You should be very familiar with that concept....

I know most of you know PA (Mike) and I have had our share of differences. As much as it pains me to agree with him on anything, he is absolutely, 100% correct with his above statement. I owned and ran a successful website. As fair as you try to be, and as patient as you try to be, you can never please everyone. No matter how you might want to. Sometimes, you have to remember who is paying the bills and whose balls are on the line. With that in mind, it's his horse and he gets to ride it any way he wants to.

Giddy Up Mike :ThmbUp:

eastie
05-10-2009, 07:28 AM
it seems to me that I've run into dozens of guys on the backside who were unintelligible. Red Holman and Tommy Maeda come to mind right away. That's the cool part about racing. The characters run the gambit. It's much easier to learn to read, than to learn to ride a horse. Some jocks english consists of the phrase "wee winnn", Borel is a breath of fresh air, God Bless him, and after that ride on Mine That Bird, he should be on the tonight show.

bishlap
05-11-2009, 03:29 AM
are they gonna use subtitles?

http://nyulocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/miss-teen-south-carolina-subtitles.jpgfor Leno or Borel?

BeatTheChalk
05-14-2009, 09:52 AM

No disrespect.Hell few understand my Boston Accent. I am no one to poke fun at anyone but me.:cool:

So the first time I went to " The Cape " I asked the locals where I could
find ...""" BARN STABLE ROAD ? " When they finally stopped laughing ..
they said " Do you mean BAAAAAHHHHHNNNNNSTABLE ROAD ? " AND
the rest is history. Unless you want to meet in Haaaawwwwich :lol: :jump:

BeatTheChalk
05-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Dennis Miller and Calvin Borel on the same set............

Wow! That should be interesting.............

Miller made one of his worst performances in a long time. He DID NOT have
on white socks though. As for Calvin ..He did the best he could .. in a very
tough spot. I did notice that his HANDS are big .. I mean BIG ! I would guess
that it couldnt hurt a jockey and may help.
And why not show the Video of Street Sense ?? The audience and many
millions in tv land -- would get a feeling . an understanding .. of just how
similar the 2 Derby wins are.
Hell they could run the clips side by side .. but with cost controls at the
Networks...we take what we can get ... :lol: :cool:

joanied
05-14-2009, 12:52 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: Calvin did good...IMO:)

I was glad he didn't feel obigated to wear a suit :) ...he looked good. I think he did very well...I thought a couple of times he was going to get a little tounge tied...but he really did good...the joke about the Viagra was pretty good:D ...I'm so glad he didn't go on the Letterman Show, because IMO, Letterman is rude and mean spirited...Leno, I think, was able to relax Calvin so he'd feel comfortable.

Beat the Chalk...I noticed his hands too...they ARE big:eek:

I just wish they'd shown a little more race video...and I was sure they'd show the Rachle Alexandra commercial...I still haven't seen it:(

Watcher
05-14-2009, 01:35 PM
For those that didn't catch it...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/72905/the-tonight-show-tue-may-12-2009?c=1836:2340

JustRalph
05-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Calvin's hands are huge............ Wife and I noticed that too

Miller was Miller...............that crack about the HOHOBA wash by the guy in the shower room was pretty funny though............

Speed Figure
05-14-2009, 09:35 PM
FANTASTIC!! :jump: :ThmbUp:

nijinski
05-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Calvin's hands are huge............ Wife and I noticed that too

Miller was Miller...............that crack about the HOHOBA wash by the guy in the shower room was pretty funny though............
Ha Ha noticed that too.

Hajck Hillstrom
05-15-2009, 12:05 AM
Tremendous crowd response in the studio to the ride in the Derby. The shot from the blimp is an impressive one.